Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Which game console had the best library of games?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Many game consoles have been released since video games become a reality. With more consoles that came out, the library of games became larger and more diverse with each release. With so many systems that have been made and even more games released on them, picking one favorite can actually be a difficult task.

However, we wil ltackle that! What game console do you think had the overall best library of games released?

After thinking about it for a while, I have chosen the original Playstation. This system's game selection was just immense. All of the RPG's, Metal Gear Solid, Tekken 3, Spyro, Super Puzzle Fighter 2, Twisted Metal, ugh, sooooooo many games. <3

box.jpg

Still kinda nuts that the system did not launch with analog controllers though.

• Brohoof 1

For me I'd say the Xbox 360 :fluttershy: As much as I loved the PS2, this console offered a greater focus on multiplayer, but didn't depend on it. It had loads of my favourite games. To list a few of them: Saints Row 2, Skate 3, Grand Theft Auto IV, Mafia 2, Crackdown, Call of Duty: World at War and Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

• Brohoof 2

A close call between the PS2 and the Super Nintendo for me, both consoles had some of the most groundbreaking titles in gaming

• Brohoof 2

In general? That's a hard one, I mean like a really hard one, as I have fond memories from almost each and any console, let alone the PC. I personally think it's a toss up between the N64 and the ps2.

• Brohoof 1

It's hard. Maybe the PS1, but I was too much of a n00b to really get interested in the good ones at the time. Among the ones I really enjoyed, I'd say between the N64, the GCN, PS3, and out of portables either GBA or NDS

• Brohoof 2

I think it is a toss up between the Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis and the PS2, they were highly revolutionary in graphics as well as gameplay itself and had insane variety. There were plenty of games for each to suit nearly every taste. Nintendo did have a somewhat kiddy reputation even back then, but the Super Nintendo was still able to deliver quality titles that older gamers still to this day can enjoy. The Sega Genesis tried to cater to an older audience and did so successfully, it helped push the idea that games while they can be enjoyed by children can also be enjoyed by teens and adults. The Playstation 2 built on the success of the Playstation 1 by making everything good about that even better.

• Brohoof 1

I am going to have to go with the Super Nintendo:

• Super Mario World
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy 3 (6)
  • Earthbound
  • Breath of Fire
  • Breath of Fire 2
  • Super Mario RPG
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Metroid
  • Mega Man X
  • Harvest Moon
  • F-Zero
  • Zombies Ate my Neighbors
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • Donkey Kong Country 2
  • Donkey Kong Country 3
  • Street Fighter 2
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Sunset Riders
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
  • Super Bomberman 2
  • Mortal Kombat 2
  • Mario Paint
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Secret of Evermore
  • Super Gameboy Player (which opened the library to tons of hit Gameboy titles)
  • NBA Jam
  • Kirby's Dream Course

I could go on, but the SNES had so many titles that people consider in the top lists of games and have some of the best ports of games. Not to mention a majority of the games still look good by today's standards, are still playable by today's standards and many of the ideas with the SNES are carried to this day. The controller layout is used by both the Playstation and the Xbox today, and JRPGs are still defined by the standard set by it, same goes for platformers.

I'd say it's pretty hard to argue that the SNES isn't in the top 3 best game libraries around.

I've gotta go with the SNES here. Many of my favorite games were on the SNES, namely Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island, Star Fox, Link to the Past, Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound and many others really make up the system in general and most have still held up well to this day.

• Brohoof 2

I think i go with the Playstation ones. All of them.

They all had Games i like, Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Jak and Daxter, Worms, Rayman, Alone in the Dark and so on.

But if i would choose, depending on Dc Comics games, because i collect that at the moment, i had no idea which console to choose, because Super hero games are so scattered all over the place.

I have like the first 3 Superman Games and they all are already for 3 different Systems...i wish they would make a Collection of the old Dc and Marvel games.

But i guess, that would be to difficult because they are tons of different companys and systems behind those games and there isnt that big of a interest, considering so many of them, got either mediocre or bad reviews. That sucks.

While the PC has a lot going for it, and the SNES had a great library of games, both first party and third party, I have to say the PS2. It not only has a huge library of games, which while it may have a lot of shovelware as a result, still has a great number of first party and third party titles itself, but it can also play every single PS1 game without trouble, which adds up the amount of great games for the system.

I'm not really interesting in debating which console which is better, which I'm sure this thread is going to end up as, but I personally loved the Xbox 360 for its variety of games that appealed to me personally. 

I love Forza and Halo, so that always brought me towards the Xbox. 

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think the Wii had the best library of games. Love Super Smash Bros Brawl, Wii Sports Resorts and Mario Kart Wii. I think the GameCube was second best library of games. Like Super Mario Sunshine and Legend of Zelda: The Windwaker. 

Edited by Light Mcpony

• 4 weeks later...

N64 for me. They had so many! And they were really getting into better graphics and gameplay. I always liked Nintendo far better than the other consoles and the line-up of games for N64 is a good example of why.  

• 4 weeks later...

Off the top of my head, Super NES, PS2, Gamecube, GBA, DS, Xbox 360 and 3DS. I don't think I could pick one. :p

Edited by Cash_In