Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Experiences With The Banhammer?

twiia

Years ago when I left a game clan they banned me from their forum, wasn't particularly dramatic but it hardly matters. 

The only other time I've been banned from a forum was at my own request. 

I've been banned from a certain thread (now locked) on these forums, ironically because the wording I used to not single out any specific groups made me sound worse than if I'd just said what I meant. I've also had a post removed once, but that wasn't really a ban. Other than that, I have never run into the banhammer.

A few years ago, I signed up to join another forum, but naive ol' me didn't actually read the rules. Five off-topic posts and one ridiculous thread later, I was permanently banned.

It wasn't an IP ban though, so after a few days, I signed up again under a new username, actually read the rules, and now I'm a seasoned user (even though I don't post that much nowadays).

(edited)

I have never been banned from an online forum or website, but I have been banned from a flesh and blood college club.  I was taking part in a multi-team club project, my entire team had defected halfway through the project and the project organizer wouldn't let me switch teams kicking me off the project instead.  So for the first and last time in my life a wrote a written letter of complaint to one of the other club officers.  They investigated the matter and then had my membership promptly revoked for "disrespecting" the project organizer within the space of a week.  Turns out, my defecting teammates had some really bad things to say about me.  The whole matter just kind of sucked through and through and wasn't really even worth fighting.

Edited by Twilight Dirac

(edited)

i don't think i was ever banned from anything though... :rarity:

i did ban myself on a minecraft server i was staffing on before... does that count? :wat:

edit: nevermind, i remember i was banned from a minecraft server for having "krazy" in my name.

Edited by KrazyDashie

I've been banned from several places before.

Part of the thing is that I don't hide who I am. I'm old enough that I was using the Internet before 'privacy' became a thing. My name is attached to a bunch of stuff where RL info is required, such as domain names and the like, and I've been using this 'Fhaolan' user name since before the Internet itself existed, on BBS systems. It's not really a user name at this point so much as an actual alias. So it's pretty trivial to find my real name, job, address, whatever, and trace my posting history.

Well, a lot of places have rather... combative attitudes about other fandoms. I'm interested in a lot of different things, so I've participated in a lot of different forums over the years, and some of them took issue with my other interests. ;)

Well that, and I used to RP the character 'Fhaolan the Celtic Wolfie' constantly with an accent, and got into fights about it. :P

I've gotten warnings on this site before too. Character minimum violations, that kind of thing... I'd check to remind myself of the details, but due to an IP.Board glitch Admins can't see their own warnings. ;)

When I was 11 I used to visit this site called Runouw.com, which I used because there was a Mario game on there I liked. But..I got carried away in the public chat room there, posting a bunch of spam and cringeworthy stuff that ultimately landed me a banhammer. I deserved it, but I thought it was hilarious at the time ^_^

Nope. I've never been banned from any forums before, I guess I'm too much of a cinnamon roll. :catface:

The closest that's happened to that is getting kicked from a group I was in - and that only happened because I was the only member at the time who didn't get the boot. (You could say it was the "tradition" to get kicked and then join back in. :P)

I don't think I've ever actually been banned from here.  A few times I was given "points" for being mean to people.  At the time a few of the mods were trying to turn this place into a hugbox, which it isn't (and never has been).  When someone talks out their ass, I'm probably going to call them on it.  I never curse at people or insult them directly, but I sometimes mercilessly ridicule whatever dumb idea they're trying to pitch.

Anyways, the points wore off, and I just kept doing my thing.

So...  The only time I was ever banned from a message board.  And it's such a great story, that I share it with everyone, because it is a glorious tale of karma.

This happened on a Digimon forum probably about 8 or 9 years ago.  And it was something that you used to see all the time on fansites, especially Digimon and Pokémon-related ones.  Because a lot of them would use similar layouts to one another, and some would copy layouts and images straight from another.

So what happened, is I caught them plagiarizing an entire layout from another website (images, sprites, everything, pretty much the whole front page of the site).  And this wasn't some kind of coincidence either.  This was blatant, intentional plagiarism.

Now, this was kind of a stupid move on my part, because I actually asked them about it in a PM (if you catch a site plagiarizing or someone online doing something illegal, the worst thing you can do is call them out on it directly), and immediately got a 1 week ban for something along the lines of giving a false report.

So what I did, is while I was still banned, I used my trusty SS program to take a screenshot of my previous web activity, so I had a picture of what the Digimon site looked like.  And then I contacted the owner of the original site that it was copied from (I set up a membership there, strictly to do this), and they went after them on the grounds of infringement with a C&D order (since their original images and layouts were fully copyrighted).

I was unbanned just in time to see the fruits of my labor.

I don't know if the site's still around or not, but I doubt the front page of it exists anymore (since that's where most of the infringement was).

Edited by SBaby
  • Brohoof 4

I've gotten a few PMs here from mods before, but nothing major.

I have been banned three times from Derpibooru though. All of them were for how I was acting, so I can't say I didn't deserve them.

There was this time two years ago. On a WC roleplay site, an old online friend of mine was the site owner. I got promoted to mod and then kinda spammed the page too much... First I was warned, then demoted, and then I got banned. Stupid me...

• Brohoof 1

I've never been banned before. I tend to be on the mods' good sides on every forum I'm a part of and was even asked if I would like to be a mod on one forum. I turned down the offer because I couldn't promise that I'd be active enough with school going on at the time.

• Brohoof 3

Other than on games because the owners were immature, not really. I haven't been banned on a forum before, but I haven't used many before. This is mainly the only forum I use for now.

I haven't done anything bad to get a warning here (or any site), though I will say that I accidentally linked a picture that had content not allowed on here in a pm, but that was soon deleted when I realized that. It was a picture of a seach and I didn't notice it had it on the images. I hope that won't cause trouble for saying that.

Edited by Namae
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I once got banned permanently off a forum website for saying that the admins were really unfair and ban for no reason. And they did just that. I'm just glad the site later shut down. I can't even remember what it was called anyways. 

I recently got banned from Derpiboo.ru for some pretty bullshit reason, even if just for a day. I normally like that site but some people don't know when to take a sarcastic joke. I said something along the lines of 'I'm gonna get my lawyer to shut this site down'. I was kinda tired but still, I even said that that was a joke. I said that like two to three weeks ago and only now do I get a ban for it. And then they accuse me of sockpuppeting. Like, really? Are you people really fucking serious?

• Brohoof 1

I was once banned from a Minecraft server (I believe I was permabanned) because it thought I was accusing players of hacking, but what was really happening was saying that I use autoclick, not knowing that autoclick was considered hacking. If I remember correctly, I wrote an appeal, but I don't think I got a response.

Banned loads of times from FiMFiction for breaking the rules that they change every other day.  ^_^

Got a warning from here over something trivial.  :wacko:

Got banned from an MST3K forum back in the day because I wasn't shy about telling the people there that they were terrible and totally anti- the spirit of the show.

Usually, if I get banned from somewhere, it's because I'm trying to, though. I'm quite nice generally.

I got banned from deviantArt because I was 12 back then, and the minimum age to be there was 13. Anyway, last year, after turning 16, I asked if I could have my account back, and now I'm back on dA! Except that I barely post anything in there...too busy and not confident enough to show my art to the world.

I've never been banned anywhere what I can remember.

There is one website that I joined when I was a lil shit and immediately was banned for being underage, but that doesn't count. I was also banned in a game once for "cheating" even though I never cheated. I contacted support and got the account unbanned a few days later. I don't count that either.

I don't really worry too much about getting banned on sites since you can just make a new account. Some sites don't allow multiple accs like mlpf for example but knowing most methods for dupe-detecting, I'd be able to go under the radar undetected anyway. What does worry me, however, is getting banned at places where you have achievements and stuff like in games. Places where you've worked hard to reach a specific milestone. Or just sites where you've made a name for yourself, mlpf would be one of those for me, I guess. Creating a new acc wouldn't really be fun at all since you can't be yourself anymore. When I was banned from that game without reason it kind of scared me since it was an account I have so good stats on. Luckily things turned out well that time.

Personally I've never gotten banned. But my close friend got banned permanently from Xbox live a few days ago when he arrived back from a 3 month long road trip. He actually got banned for absolutely nothing as he was already banned when he terned on his Xbox after he arrived back.

This just shows that there are still abusive admins on Xbox live that will ban anyone when they feel like it. Even if your not playing at the time.

I'm never been Banned Anywhere expect that My Bro got banned from Pokemon Showdown Server because Same I.P (I didn't change it mind you) and That got me Perma-Locked on Showdown.

Edited by Zachary