Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Box Office Predictions for the MLP movie. Success or bomb?

TheMarkz0ne

Ratchet and Clank

Hardcore Henry

Two movies that got bad scores and bombed and they were my favorite movies of the year. I just want MLP to be a financial success of some degree. Seeing as how Toonboom won't be stressful on the budget, I can see the movie making money.

I meant mediocre by common standards, not by personal.

I meant mediocre by common standards, not by personal.

Those two movies were hated and bombed though. And what's funny is that when people want new movies, they get them and complain.

(edited)

It'll be a modest success financially, Hasbro will make some money, with modest reception. At least that's what I'm hoping

Also, unsurprisingly, people itt really overstate the fandom, the show's popularity and potential success. The chances of this movie becoming as successful as Frozen or Lego, financially or critically, is laughable at best. If by some miracle it does pull it off then great, but I'm not expecting it

Edited by Megatron
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
This will be a very successful movie for several reasons:

• It's a kids' movie. By not locking out any age group, it will have a much bigger audience variety than - say, the very violent and graphic Watchmen. Finding Dory, by being a kids' movie, had more appeal than Independence Day: Resurgence.
  • Brand recognition. Everyone knows what MLP is, even before FiM. (Wind Whistler and Fizzy are very popular G1 ponies.) Meanwhile, John Carter failed because no one under the age of 70 would have recognized his resurgence.
  • It knows who it's aimed at: The devoted bronies. Meanwhile, Mad Max: Fury Road was very successful for the same reason: by refusing to downgrade to a PG-13 rating, which would have alienated the original Mad Max fans. 
  • Star Power. The all-star celebrity voicing of the show returns for the movie.
  • It's not being released on Bad Movie Month (January).
  • It's not piggybacking Equestria Girls. The restrictions of the Equestria Girls series are gone. Ditching the high school setting allows for a much more open setting and involve more action and excitement than the entire EG series. (If Hasbro is just going to stop the EG world from being magicless, they might as well make an action pony movie in Equestria.) The Mane 7 can go all out with their powers when appropriate. You can have a Big Bad far more epic than a generic bully or principal, especially when he sends out a giant robot in the final battle to deal with the ReManeing 6 while Starlight Glimmer personally takes him on. 
  • It's anything but joyless. A common complaint about Man of Steel and Batman v Superman is the lack of humor or joy.
  • It can stand on its own.
Edited by The MegaBrony
  • Brohoof 2

Memes are a cancer. I think the fandom is still strong, if it wasn't why are we still having brony cons and renewed seasons? 

If we're asking questions, then answer why why brony themed merch is being discontinued at places like hot topic and more mainstream stores.

Really hard core bronies are more mobilized, but the outer layer of mainstream bronies is evaporating. cons will still occur so long as the tiny kernel of hard core fans exist even if the numbers are small, but the fandom outside of the more obsessive is dying at a fast clip.

>renewed seasons

We still haven't heard about there being a s7, so that comment might end up being rather ironic in the future XD

We don't KNOW there's going to be any renewed seasons after this one: Hell, the EQG movies might also end after this one due to how they're dropping in sales.

If we're asking questions, then answer why why brony themed merch is being discontinued at places like hot topic and more mainstream stores.

Really hard core bronies are more mobilized, but the outer layer of mainstream bronies is evaporating. cons will still occur so long as the tiny kernel of hard core fans exist even if the numbers are small, but the fandom outside of the more obsessive is dying at a fast clip.

>renewed seasons

We still haven't heard about there being a s7, so that comment might end up being rather ironic in the future XD

We don't KNOW there's going to be any renewed seasons after this one: Hell, the EQG movies might also end after this one due to how they're dropping in sales.

Physical sales always don't matter. There's online ad revenue and franchise fees. Hell Star Wars made most of its money off licensing fees, toys and games were 2nd and the very movies themselves were last. 

Pony merch sales drop, because fans make better merchandise than Hasbro themselves. 

• Brohoof 1

especially when he sends out a giant robot in the final battle to deal with the ReManeing 6 while Starlight Glimmer personally takes him on. 

large.png

>EQG

>Giant robot battles

Physical sales always don't matter. There's online ad revenue and franchise fees. Hell Star Wars made most of its money off licensing fees, toys and games were 2nd and the very movies themselves were last. 

Pony merch sales drop, because fans make better merchandise than Hasbro themselves. 

but the question in this thread corrosponds specifically to if the *Movie* itself will make money, not the merchandise and toys that will go with it; How good its ticket sales will be.

Even if the movie is a flop at the box office, I think most everyone agrees that the linked toy sales will probably make it worth hasbro's while.

• Brohoof 1

I see this doing between $200-300 million worldwide. Smaller-scale animated films like The Nut Job, when considered "successful", usually land in this range considering worldwide release. We have to remember that we're not talking about Disney, Illumination, or Pixar here, moreover the film is more likely than not still in Flash animation as opposed to 3D CGI.

Domestically, I could see something on the order of a $35-45 million gross. Without a doubt, MLP's strongest international performance will be the Spanish-speaking markets considering sales figures from the show and toys emphasized success in Latin America and Spain alike.

We still have to factor in stigmas related to the brand that could hurt its all-ages, all-demographics appeal among casual audiences, so we can't get hopes too high.

• Brohoof 1

We still have to factor in stigmas related to the brand that could hurt its all-ages, all-demographics appeal among casual audiences, so we can't get hopes too high.

They still have a year to try and fight that; hopefully they have success in that field with their advertising.

Its actually highly important to their current marketing direction, not just for the movie but the TOYS IN GENERAL to try and find a way to fight the 80s girly stigma due to how they're about to launch the guardians of harmony toyline.

They still have a year to try and fight that; hopefully they have success in that field with their advertising.

Its actually highly important to their current marketing direction, not just for the movie but the TOYS IN GENERAL to try and find a way to fight the 80s girly stigma due to how they're about to launch the guardians of harmony toyline.

As much as they try, it's still called "My Little Pony" and the franchise had 26 years of that reputation before FiM began 5 and a half years ago.

A lot of people don't know about FiM because of its lower visibility comparative to its rivals on better-rated networks and previous iterations of the franchise that aired on broadcast TV.

We just have to count on people coming into it with an open mind like we initially did with the show.

As much as they try, it's still called "My Little Pony" and the franchise had 26 years of that reputation before FiM began 5 and a half years ago.

A lot of people don't know about FiM because of its lower visibility comparative to its rivals on better-rated networks and previous iterations of the franchise that aired on broadcast TV.

We just have to count on people coming into it with an open mind like we initially did with the show.

Then reusing the classic MLP jingle for  the show and all their advertising doesn't help either >.<

Probably moderate success. At least enough at the box office to win back its budget. But it probably won't be the next Frozen or Zootopia or Minions.

Some people are saying the movie's will succeed on the account of the millions of bronies seeing, but I can just not see that happening. How many bronies actually watch the show legally? If you watch the new episodes on a stream or an episode posted online, you're not actually giving the show ratings and money. 

You also have to take into account the amount of bronies who will actually see it in theaters. Sure, there will be those bronies open enough to see it, but there are also probably just as much closet bronies, who wouldn't be caught dead seeing this in public. So that section will probably just wait for the DVD or Blu-Ray to come out. That or just look for a cam rip of it on YouTube, which is not even factoring into any sales. 

• Brohoof 2

Probably moderate success. At least enough at the box office to win back its budget. But it probably won't be the next Frozen or Zootopia or Minions.

Some people are saying the movie's will succeed on the account of the millions of bronies seeing, but I can just not see that happening. How many bronies actually watch the show legally? If you watch the new episodes on a stream or an episode posted online, you're not actually giving the show ratings and money.

You also have to take into account the amount of bronies who will actually see it in theaters. Sure, there will be those bronies open enough to see it, but there are also probably just as much closet bronies, who wouldn't be caught dead seeing this in public. So that section will probably just wait for the DVD or Blu-Ray to come out. That or just look for a cam rip of it on YouTube, which is not even factoring into any sales.

I think you're forgetting that the vast majority of this show's audience is not identified as "Bronies", i.e. children and their parents.

I'm expecting that it won't bomb, but I'm not expecting it to be too successful. Plenty of people will want to see it, but not everyone can and will.

It'll probably at least break even given the number of bronies around, but I really doubt this will be a blockbuster because the plot would either be incredibly limited to draw in new viewers (unlikely given the age of G4) or it would incomprehensible to newcomers because it ties in to the series, which will at the very least dampen 'professional' reviews of it because those people are unlikely to all be bronies. Like others have said, it will likely do okay, but nothing more than that.

• 6 months later...

I hope this movie is a success . Considering that 15 years ago, we had The Powerpuff Girls Movie, which bombed badly at the box office, and is also the reason why CN hasn't made a theatrical film since. Plus, this movie is coming out the same weekend as Thor: Ragnarok, which we all know that will make a big profit. I feel that only time will tell at this point.

I hope this movie is a success . Considering that 15 years ago, we had The Powerpuff Girls Movie, which bombed badly at the box office, and is also the reason why CN hasn't made a theatrical film since. Plus, this movie is coming out the same weekend as Thor: Ragnarok, which we all know that will make a big profit. I feel that only time will tell at this point.

Uh... bro? The movie comes out a good month before Thor: Ragnarok.

Edited by BadHorse

I pray at least it doesnt lose money and it has benefits so hasbro and the bosses find its a profitable movie aka a success,  even if it doesnt have a mediatic impact.

i hope its a good movie and gives the tv show more years and renovations. if the movie bombs maybe they decide to make less episodes, hire worse writers or even cancell it earlier? idk i hope not  :(

also it the movie has more action, can shape the tv show to have more adventures than slice of life episodes. or create a new-spin off.

Edited by Tropico
  • Brohoof 1

While it isn't that important to me if the movie does well at the box office or not, I would still like to see it succeed. I believe that the film will be a moderate success with all the Bronies that are currently out there. Sadly though, there will always be those people who will always be determined to call it a kid's movie despite never actually seeing it or the show itself.