Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

web Reaction videos what do you think about them?

cider float

I think they're good... if done right. Most people don't know, but reactions are more than just sitting idle, saying nothing, and watching the full video. People who do that I refer to as thieves, and sometimes idiots. A real reactionist (as some call themselves) should give their opinion along the way, commentate frequently, and not show the whole video, but clips of the video, or maybe not even the video at all. This gives people a reason to check out the original video.

I am not really a fan of them.

I don't see any reason why I would want to watch them when I could either watch the video or movie or show or whatever instead of someone sitting still and only occasionally reacting to things, but not really doing anything that would make these kinds of videos actually fair use.

i've never enjoyed one.

just not my cup of tea.  

I listen to an obscene number of history podcasts and videos though, so it isn't like i'm "normal"

I find them to be dumb and entirely pointless. I really don't see the fun in watching other people having a reaction to something that we could all have a reaction to ourselves. There is literally nothing special about having a 'reaction' to something, so I really don't understand why this has become such a successful genre of videos.

• 5 years later...

The Improvables are my favourites. They’re not obnoxious, they really react but they don’t overreact, they’re funny. Some of them are bronies too. :ButtercupLaugh:
I like a couple of others too, I like Reaction Mashups so I can find new reactors quicker. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I’m not into them. Most of the time they’re just people saying, “Hey, look at me, me, me!” and forget about the video they’re reacting to. I seldom get any commentary I’m interested in because I prefer to form my own opinions. I don’t need to give these people an ego boost by watching them posture for the camera and act stupid.   

• Brohoof 1

I sometimes watch reaction videos, but pretty much only those where someone skilled in some field reacts to a video or movie about that field, for example, a real pilot reacts to a movie that involves airplanes or a real doctor counts the number of times the bad guys would have realistically dies in Home Alone.

• Brohoof 1

It is a trending modern money scheme. I do watch them from time to time, but I zoom past the 3 minute long like share and subscribe and don't forget to hit that notification bell standard stuff, as well as the Patreon (the actual source of their work, using other's work and being paid for it).

No reactor is perfect. I try to watch only the ones who genuinely sees the important stuff, but that is kinda difficult to predict. Also, blind reacts are the best, even if they miss things.

• Brohoof 1

They're okay. When the person reacting provides some substance to the video, then I don't really mind them, but I swear I've seen a lot where the person just stares at the camera for ten minutes and occasionally smiles.

• Brohoof 1

I just remembered watching reactors of FIM around the 2017 era, because @Sparklefan1234 and me had a discussion about episodes in a status just now, and it made me remember a reactor on YouTube, DYWTBA_Universe, that blind reacted to Magical Mystery Cure and was so hyped and happy about Twilight, him knowing nothing about how much that episode impacted the fans negatively when it was first aired. Seeing his happy + crying reaction made me actually think that it wasn't such a bad move giving Twilight wings after all, if it made people happy like that!

So reaction videos can be very good, getting a different view of something :)

• Brohoof 2

I like reaction videos, and the reason why I do is empathy.

Let me explain. When I watch something for the first time, especially when it's something important to me like the MLP episodes, it's a unique feeling that can't be repeated by watching it again. But when I watch someone else watching it, in a way I can feel the same emotions that person feels. So watching a reaction is like watching the episode for the first time again. But it's also different every time, as every person reacts differently to the same things.

My favorite reactor is Applegeek, I really like his emotional reactions to things happening on screen, as well as his analysis/commentary after the episode. He also adds some of his thoughts as text to his videos, which makes them even more interesting. He's not active lately, so I'm not sure what's happening to him, I hope he's OK and he'll do some G5 reactions...

Edited by PawelS
  • Brohoof 1

9 minutes ago, PawelS said:

I hope he's OK and he'll do some G5 reactions...

Me too.

I used to listen to his comments after the reactions, which lasted for almost as long as the episodes themselves. He was also very quick at seeing almost everything going on while still being a blind react. Not many have that skill.

• Brohoof 1