Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ask Frostgage

Frostgage

On 9/10/2019 at 8:07 PM, Frostgage said:

I've learned the last few years that I don't have much in common with the majority of people my age

That's one thing you have in common with me at least. :please:

Unfortunately it doesn't seem as though your plan will help. Although, I suppose that I can't be certain it won't help either so

I mean it's not like it would make things worse so the possible outcomes are [no relevant change] through to [somehow actually works] therefore the logical choice is to do it

Also it's interesting that you have two double digit results; your scores are distributed quite differently from mine

I wonder if it means that I have a stronger combined affinity for my preferred love languages than most people have for their preferred languages put together or if I just have my language affinity less spread out than the norm. Comparative statistics is weird. :huh:

oh thank you btw c: <3 you're a pretty rad dude yourself

Sorry sir I'm only a 5 in words of affirmation - snugs is de only wae

Romantic love, although I think my idea of it would look awfully similar to friendship love. so maybe some hybrid of the two?

I read a great book once about the different types of love and it talked about how passionate romantic love was never meant to last long because it would burn us out if it lasted longer than a few months. Familial love in the most basic sense has the same issue - you grow up and move out and become less and less of a 'family' in the sense of being a single integrated household working on parent-child dynamics.

The only long-term-stable type of human love is friendship love, from chasing a common cause. Romance and familial loves aren't based on a common cause because each person focusses on the other person - in romance you stare into each other's eyes, with parent-child dynamics the parent looks down at the child and the child looks back up at them, but with friendship you're both looking at a definite something separate from both of you, which is why it's so easy to make friends over common interests. There's also familiarity love (where nostalgia comes from), which is the sort of love you have for people who you've spent years around to the point where you can't imagine things without them, but this is a result of a long-term-sustained relationship rather than any sort of effective cause.

Significant-other relationships hence usually start with romantic love and end up with familiarity love, with friendship love keeping things stable and sticking together the whole time. Therefore your intuition is absolutely correct my good sir you most certainly want a hybrid. :proud:

Also I find it interesting that the only way for really stable human relationships to form is through a thing that has nothing to do with the relationship or the people except that both of the people share a relationship to the thing

Unfortunately I'm way too sober to give a satisfactory answer to this question

Have you ever been unsober enough to give one

Don't worry I won't tell your mom about the frat parties

How many nice birds did you notice today?

How many nice trees did you notice today?

How many nice people did you notice today?

What was the nicest thing you noticed today

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Duality said:

Sorry sir I'm only a 5 in words of affirmation - snugs is de only wae

This made me think of another question regarding the love languages - are people more likely to use the languages that they value most in order to show affection to others? If I was a psychology major (i'm a minor as it happens) that would actually be a solid topic for an experiment

I read a great book once about the different types of love and it talked about how passionate romantic love was never meant to last long because it would burn us out if it lasted longer than a few months. Familial love in the most basic sense has the same issue - you grow up and move out and become less and less of a 'family' in the sense of being a single integrated household working on parent-child dynamics.

The only long-term-stable type of human love is friendship love, from chasing a common cause. Romance and familial loves aren't based on a common cause because each person focusses on the other person - in romance you stare into each other's eyes, with parent-child dynamics the parent looks down at the child and the child looks back up at them, but with friendship you're both looking at a definite something separate from both of you, which is why it's so easy to make friends over common interests. There's also familiarity love (where nostalgia comes from), which is the sort of love you have for people who you've spent years around to the point where you can't imagine things without them, but this is a result of a long-term-sustained relationship rather than any sort of effective cause.

Significant-other relationships hence usually start with romantic love and end up with familiarity love, with friendship love keeping things stable and sticking together the whole time. Therefore your intuition is absolutely correct my good sir you most certainly want a hybrid. :proud:

Also I find it interesting that the only way for really stable human relationships to form is through a thing that has nothing to do with the relationship or the people except that both of the people share a relationship to the thing

This book sounds very wise indeed :0 you probably wrote it

Have you ever been unsober enough to give one

Don't worry I won't tell your mom about the frat parties

Not as of yet. Believe me there's nothing to tell ^_^

How many nice birds did you notice today?

How many nice trees did you notice today?

How many nice people did you notice today?

What was the nicest thing you noticed today

1. Only one virtual bird :please: don't get the wrong idea tho I really love birds
2. None :please: get the right idea I'm not too interested in trees
3. No new people but several of my friends including you <3

oh whoops I forgot your words of affirmation score again

4. There's only one answer

Edited by Frostgage
  • Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Frostgage said:

This made me think of another question regarding the love languages - are people more likely to use the languages that they value most in order to show affection to others? If I was a psychology major (i'm a minor as it happens) that would actually be a solid topic for an experiment

Actually not in my experience - I default to Gifts to actively express affection and my uncle is Quality Time and my aunty is Physical Touch but I know he often expresses love in the form of Acts of Service. Often if people don't respond to your attempts to show affection it's because it's not one of their love languages and they don't recognise it as affection, but on the flip side it's great to keep an eye out for someone using a love language different to yours to express affection so you can return it in a love language you know they'll recognise (and maybe giving them a nice heads-up so they know how to make you feel Extra Loved). Usually it's Gifts and Service and sometimes Words that are used to express affection because those are the active ones that make you feel like you're Doing something and going out of your way to make them feel loved

It's weird though because you can get two people giving gifts both feeling like they're making the other person feel loved and neither of them actually feeling loved because Gifts isn't their love language so they're both doing the same thing but neither of them feel like the other person is reciprocating their love

This book sounds very wise indeed :0 you probably wrote it

That got me even with an Affirmation score of 5 <3

It was written by C.S. Lewis actually - his non-fantasy books are by far the most insightful I've read to date

Not as of yet. Believe me there's nothing to tell ^_^

hmmmmm

Only one virtual bird :please: don't get the wrong idea tho I really love birds

Same they're so feathery and cute

What's your favorite type of bird? (I may have asked this before but not in the context of you really liking birds)

None :please: get the right idea I'm not too interested in trees

-le gasp-

Have you never sat under one on a sunny day to have lunch

No new people but several of my friends including you <3

oh whoops I forgot your words of affirmation score again

In your defense though it's the best love language for use over the internet

also thanks frosty you're the best c:

> One person arrested

> Public urination

et is in good hands

What question do you ask other people most often?

What question do other people ask you most often?

What question do you ask yourself most often?

What question would you most like a true answer to?

• Brohoof 1

On 9/20/2019 at 7:31 PM, Duality said:

Same they're so feathery and cute

What's your favorite type of bird? (I may have asked this before but not in the context of you really liking birds)

Crows <3 this was an easy one. they're just so cool

-le gasp-

Have you never sat under one on a sunny day to have lunch

That doesn't sound like something I would do :wacko: Maybe someday

What question do you ask other people most often?

What question do other people ask you most often?

What question do you ask yourself most often?

What question would you most like a true answer to?

1. ...I'm just realizing that I don't ask a lot of questions consistently :wacko:
2. Just boring stuff lol. What's your name, where are you from blah blah. tbh i hate it. That's why your questions are much appreciated :proud:
3. "Is (my current activity) the optimal course of action?"
4. "Do you like spending time with me?"

• Brohoof 1

57 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

Crows <3 this was an easy one. they're just so cool

Objection: what about ravens

That doesn't sound like something I would do :wacko: Maybe someday

gotta get you some outdoors in your lungs

inhale a butterfly for the full nature experience

...I'm just realizing that I don't ask a lot of questions consistently :wacko:

You already know all the things amirite

Just boring stuff lol. What's your name, where are you from blah blah. tbh i hate it. That's why your questions are much appreciated :proud:

Aww thanks Frosty. Your questions are also great <3

Can't imagine myself asking people these sorts of things in person though they're too weird for most social situations

"Is (my current activity) the optimal course of action?"

Don't forget to find the local maxima using the first derivative

"Do you like spending time with me?"

Is this a specific or a general question because if it's specific the answer is definitely yes

What would you do if you realised that your entire self only fills about 500 litre-years of spacetime?

What would you do if you realised that your personality and mental state changes over time and thus the consciousness you call yourself is actually millions of times more complex than your current personality and mental state?

What would you do if you realised that hypothetical situations don't exist except in our minds and thus cannot affect this reality except through influencing our desires and expectations?

What would you do if you realised that the existence of human consciousness causes so many philosophical and ontological problems that the only reason we give it any serious consideration is because it's really hard to deny that it does exist?

On 9/21/2019 at 10:28 PM, Duality said:

Objection: what about ravens

They're pretty similar but it's not fair how everyone thinks ravens are cool and crows are boring. Crows are bros

You already know all the things amirite

"All I know is that I know nothing"

Don't forget to find the local maxima using the first derivative

I understood that reference but I don't want to take up a lot of space by inserting that Captain America meme so I'll just tell you (again) that I understood that reference

What would you do if you realised that your entire self only fills about 500 litre-years of spacetime?

What would you do if you realised that your personality and mental state changes over time and thus the consciousness you call yourself is actually millions of times more complex than your current personality and mental state?

What would you do if you realised that hypothetical situations don't exist except in our minds and thus cannot affect this reality except through influencing our desires and expectations?

What would you do if you realised that the existence of human consciousness causes so many philosophical and ontological problems that the only reason we give it any serious consideration is because it's really hard to deny that it does exist?

1. are you saying I'm too skinny :pout: (i am)
2. are you saying I get too many mood swings :pout: (i do)
3. The way I see it, if something tangibly affects reality, then it is real for all practical purposes. I've always been more concerned with practicality/reality than theory
4. If I ever truly realized that my head would explode. This is why I try to focus on doggos and stuff

• Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, Frostgage said:

They're pretty similar but it's not fair how everyone thinks ravens are cool and crows are boring. Crows are bros

All you need to do is make an epic edgy catchy poem titled 'The Crow' like how Poe did for ravens

"All I know is that I know nothing"

All you know = that you know nothing

All you know = nothing

that you know nothing = nothing

that you know = 0

know = -(that you) = -(hat^2 + you)

d(know)/dt = d(-(hat^2 + you))/dt = -2hat

The rate of change of your knowledge is equal to negative two hats

QED

are you saying I'm too skinny :pout: (i am)

Don't worry I'll feed you frozen pizzas until you take up 1000 litre-years

The way I see it, if something tangibly affects reality, then it is real for all practical purposes. I've always been more concerned with practicality/reality than theory

The concept of unicorns affects reality via our imaginations/minds. Actual unicorns however have never affected reality at all since they've never existed.

Conclusion: the concept of unicorns is more real than unicorns themselves

Furthermore, theories affect reality via our minds. Reality itself taken as a whole, however, cannot affect reality - parts of reality can affect other parts of reality, parts of reality can affect the whole of reality, but reality as a whole can't affect reality in part or in whole since 1) wholes can't affect their parts if the whole is the sum of its parts and 2) nothing can affect itself without some intermediary otherwise we get recursion and logical inconsistency.

Secondary conclusion: theories are more real than the whole of reality

is this the world you wanted

If I ever truly realized that my head would explode. This is why I try to focus on doggos and stuff

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Lovecraft knew de wae amirite

Which is more to be desired: that which is good or that which is true? Do you allow everyone in the world to live a contented lie or allow free a terrible truth that would result in war and the death of millions? If millions is too steep a cost, what about thousands or hundreds or even just one? If you would indeed choose to tell a truth that cost lives, would it make a difference to your decision if instead of being killed by a resultant war the casualties of truth had to be killed by you, personally, lined up against a brick wall?

Also, is it ethical to even think about violent hypothetical situations if they are made real by affecting reality via your mind? :pout:

Edited by Duality
  • Brohoof 1

On 9/23/2019 at 9:37 PM, Duality said:

All you know = that you know nothing

All you know = nothing

that you know nothing = nothing

that you know = 0

know = -(that you) = -(hat^2 + you)

d(know)/dt = d(-(hat^2 + you))/dt = -2hat

The rate of change of your knowledge is equal to negative two hats

QED

That's fine since I don't like hats anyway :grin:

is this the world you wanted

yes

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

Lovecraft knew de wae amirite

Why is it that humans acting logically inevitably leads us to our demise ;-; doesn't seem fair

Which is more to be desired: that which is good or that which is true? Do you allow everyone in the world to live a contented lie or allow free a terrible truth that would result in war and the death of millions? If millions is too steep a cost, what about thousands or hundreds or even just one? If you would indeed choose to tell a truth that cost lives, would it make a difference to your decision if instead of being killed by a resultant war the casualties of truth had to be killed by you, personally, lined up against a brick wall?

Also, is it ethical to even think about violent hypothetical situations if they are made real by affecting reality via your mind? :pout:

1. Definitely that which is good. I'm also the person who chooses security over freedom in that debate
2. You can already guess; but, the former (see: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/utilitarianism)
3. Still the lie #sorrynotsorry. Assuming this truth doesn't actually benefit anyone when made known, one death is one too many
4. N/A (but it probably would have because I pretend to be logical but I'm not really)
5. Well. It depends whether they actually do end up affecting reality, because I think that depends on the person and the hypothetical situation. Don't start a war :sealed:

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 4:19 AM, Frostgage said:

That's fine since I don't like hats anyway :grin:

The real question is whether it's minus two fezzes or minus two tophats :huh:

Why is it that humans acting logically inevitably leads us to our demise ;-; doesn't seem fair

I propose that truth and goodness always coincide as per the Platonic ideal. Hence if the truth leads to our demise our demise must be a good thing

Considering our general effect on our own society and the environment this may be more accurate than most people think. 90% of humanity's and the world's problems (especially economic ones probably) could be solved by having less humans amirite

Definitely that which is good. I'm also the person who chooses security over freedom in that debate

Objection sir surely the most secure state for a human being to exist in is in a constantly monitored padded steel box with non-allergenic food mush poured into it at regular intervals

[insert butterfly meme] Is this the American utopia

You can already guess; but, the former (see: https://www.lexico.com/en/definition/utilitarianism)

Duality played Utility Monster! Is it super effective?

(but it probably would have because I pretend to be logical but I'm not really)

(don't worry pure logic is kinda reductionistically inhuman anyway)

Well. It depends whether they actually do end up affecting reality, because I think that depends on the person and the hypothetical situation. Don't start a war :sealed:

Don't worry I won't start a war I'll just not tell anyone this life-changing revelation about the nature of reality that a physically manifested deity may or may not have just imparted to me

How many secrets have you kept in your life?

How many life-changing revelations have you had in your life?

What is the highest goal of humanity in your reckoning?

What attacks is the Frosty-type weak to?

• Brohoof 1

On 10/17/2019 at 7:24 PM, Duality said:

I propose that truth and goodness always coincide as per the Platonic ideal. Hence if the truth leads to our demise our demise must be a good thing

Considering our general effect on our own society and the environment this may be more accurate than most people think. 90% of humanity's and the world's problems (especially economic ones probably) could be solved by having less humans amirite

This is one of those situations where being logical makes you look like a madman :pout: calm down Thanos

Objection sir surely the most secure state for a human being to exist in is in a constantly monitored padded steel box with non-allergenic food mush poured into it at regular intervals

[insert butterfly meme] Is this the American utopia

sounds amazing <3

Duality played Utility Monster! Is it super effective?

Counter: there is zero chance this could ever exist in the real world and is thus irrelevant. I'm all about #practicality

Don't worry I won't start a war I'll just not tell anyone this life-changing revelation about the nature of reality that a physically manifested deity may or may not have just imparted to me

Excellent, then nothing can go wrong :proud:

How many secrets have you kept in your life?

How many life-changing revelations have you had in your life?

What is the highest goal of humanity in your reckoning?

What attacks is the Frosty-type weak to?

1. A lot :sealed: I don't want people to know how strange I am
2. I couldn't even know for sure :huh: how would you define one?
3. Space travel because it's the hardest thing we've tried and it's just so frickin cool
4. Probably self-esteem attacks hehe

13 hours ago, Frostgage said:

This is one of those situations where being logical makes you look like a madman :pout: calm down Thanos

But no really overpopulation is almost solely responsible for industrialisation-caused climate change and widespread poverty and the rapid exhaustion of Earth's non-renewable resources and the housing crisis and most territory wars and all the conspiracy theory groups of the tiny minorities of crazy people made large by proportion

Thanos wasn't wrong on the fundamental level he just needed a peaceful long-term plan like birth control measures - halving the population would only solve the problem for about 20 years before the population bounced back

The only issue is that humans really don't like being told there are too many of them

Counter: there is zero chance this could ever exist in the real world and is thus irrelevant. I'm all about #practicality

Objection sir I personally get a lot more innocent happiness from nice things than most people I know so I would be a bona fide utility monster if resources were distributed according to happiness-maximising utilitarianistic values

A lot :sealed: I don't want people to know how strange I am

You're good strange tho <3

I couldn't even know for sure :huh: how would you define one?

Something that tangibly altered your worldview and how you live your life in a way that still affects you directly or indirectly even now. I can't give a personal example unfortunately though since my life-changing revelations tend to be progressive ones over time.

Space travel because it's the hardest thing we've tried and it's just so cool

We've got more people in orbit than flying cars just saying

How shiny is your bling?

How shiny is your wallet?

How shiny is your computer?

Do you own any leather items?

• Brohoof 1

On 10/19/2019 at 2:18 PM, Duality said:

Thanos wasn't wrong on the fundamental level he just needed a peaceful long-term plan like birth control measures - halving the population would only solve the problem for about 20 years before the population bounced back

do I hear a fanfic?

Objection sir I personally get a lot more innocent happiness from nice things than most people I know so I would be a bona fide utility monster if resources were distributed according to happiness-maximising utilitarianistic values

But what about diminishing returns tho (what a strange feeling when diminishing returns is actually helpful)

Something that tangibly altered your worldview and how you live your life in a way that still affects you directly or indirectly even now. I can't give a personal example unfortunately though since my life-changing revelations tend to be progressive ones over time.

I can't remember any which probably means I don't have any. They're pretty hard to come by

How shiny is your bling?

How shiny is your wallet?

How shiny is your computer?

Do you own any leather items? 

1. Sounds a little too bougie :pout:
2. Not very. I hope I didn't get the wrong kind :sealed:
3. Pretty shiny due to its color (silver) and relative newness
4. Not to my knowledge. But my knowledge is limited so

• Brohoof 1

3 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

do I hear a fanfic?

It can't be a fanfic if it's a political campaign promise

Fanfics are more likely to come true

14 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

But what about diminishing returns tho (what a strange feeling when diminishing returns is actually helpful)

They'll only diminish if the same sort of resources are given to me every time

Clearly the solution is to use even more resources to employ a real-time think tank to ensure the greatest quantity of new and novel innocent pleasures for my unsuspecting self

16 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

Sounds a little too bougie :pout:

did somebody say  b o o g i e

16 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

Not very. I hope I didn't get the wrong kind :sealed:

Sorry sir only Faraday cage wallets are acceptable for use

17 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

Pretty shiny due to its color (silver) and relative newness

does it have glitter tho

17 minutes ago, Frostgage said:

Not to my knowledge. But my knowledge is limited so

Objection your flesh is coated in untanned leather

PC or smartphone?

Squishy or moist?

Real or imaginary?

Letters or lines?

• Brohoof 1

On 10/23/2019 at 2:10 AM, Duality said:

They'll only diminish if the same sort of resources are given to me every time

Clearly the solution is to use even more resources to employ a real-time think tank to ensure the greatest quantity of new and novel innocent pleasures for my unsuspecting self

Priorities on point :proud:

Sorry sir only Faraday cage wallets are acceptable for use

I wish something was named after me :\

Objection your flesh is coated in untanned leather

Glad I prefaced my answer with not to my knowledge :sealed:

PC or smartphone?

Squishy or moist?

Real or imaginary?

Letters or lines?

1. Definitely PC
2. Probably moist
3. Probably real
4. Maybe lines

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/26/2019 at 4:49 PM, Frostgage said:

I wish something was named after me :\

You're named after you

There's nothing better for your name to honour <3

Definitely PC

What're your specs like

Are we even nerd friends if we haven't compared CPUs

Probably moist

ewwww moist

Words or colours?

Honey or chocolate?

Surreal numbers or the Von Neumann universe?

What's the most complex thing you've ever created?

• Brohoof 1

On 12/9/2019 at 2:02 AM, Duality said:

You're named after you

There's nothing better for your name to honour <3

that's true! I didn't think of that

What're your specs like

Are we even nerd friends if we haven't compared CPUs

I don't even have one xD I just prefer computers to smartphones

but now I want to know what your spex?

Words or colours?

Honey or chocolate?

Surreal numbers or the Von Neumann universe?

What's the most complex thing you've ever created?

1. Both are nice, but my answer is colors
2. Definitely chocolate <3 honey makes me a bit uncomfortable
3. I'm gonna need a little more information :pout:
4. I'm not real creative but I made this killer park on Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. Unfortunately it's probably been lost to history