Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Batbrony

Good afternoon everypony, and welcome back to the return of Poniverse Q&As!!!  Today we have our first of two July fandom Q&As, both featuring MLP fandom artists from DeviantArt.  This week, we're talking with the Spade-Sisters (who are not actually sisters, crazy right?  :orly:).

This dynamic duo of artists are brigostre and MotherSalem, both fantastic artists in their own right but even better together!  This team does it all, from drawing their own original comic series and doing commissions to even delving in animatic and full animation on YouTube, where they've found quite a bit of initial success in the pony fandom with their "Anything You Can Do I Can Do Better" vids.

If you haven't checked out their work yet, you seriously should do so.  It's wonderful stuff, and they're both more than deserving of a follow on DA and subscription on YT, as well as any other support they can get for their work.  Who knows, maybe after this event some of you will even feel inclined to commission a piece for them or become a patron?

But enough chat, let's get going shall we?  First things first, I'll start things off with a question that's been on my mind for some time, directed at MotherSalem specifically: your OC, Alpha, has a very unique design, particularly in her colors/coat design.  Is her coat designed to resemble an orca specifically, or was there another inspiration behind her design?

at___spade_sisters_by_january3rd-d985wsq

Paper Child on left (brigostre's OC) and Alpha on right (MotherSalem's OC)

• Brohoof 6

@BatBrony : your OC, Alpha, has a very unique design, particularly in her colors/coat design.  Is her coat designed to resemble an orca specifically, or was there another inspiration behind her design?

Well, to be honest I Bought her original design! Her original design was very confusing, though. A lot more spots and dots and all that jazz. Over time I calmed it down and let her become what she is now. I LOVE her design because it reminds me of a Black Bear (idk why ^^; )

• Brohoof 4

Ok, I has a question :D  You're two artists working together under one name. Do you each take on different roles or do you both work on all aspects of a project? For example, does one of you draw the characters and the other do the backgrounds? If you both work on all parts of a project together, how do you maintain a consistent style?

• Brohoof 3

Ok, I has a question :D  You're two artists working together under one name. Do you each take on different roles or do you both work on all aspects of a project? For example, does one of you draw the characters and the other do the backgrounds? If you both work on all parts of a project together, how do you maintain a consistent style?

Good Question! Brigostre does more work than she is given credit for. I write the comic and do really bad page sketches for her :P She then does everything else, backgrounds, ponies. All the art basically. Then if text is needed I add that~

Basically, all the final products that you actually see are Brigostre. My art is more background and only seen by the two of us ^_^

• Brohoof 4

Fist off. Your Art is Amazing!  :love:  :love:

But My question is what programs do you use for your digital art?

spadesisters

Paint Tool Sai :D that is what we use for all our main art.

Flash is used for animations and sometimes anime studio (Like one of our new videos "I do Love you" was made with sai,anime studio, after effects)

But SAI is the main~

• Brohoof 3

Welcome to MLPForums; I'm am quite excited to have you here! FYI; this is CaptainSpyro from DeviantArt. :P

But yeah, this is a silly question that everyone must know cause it's importance is...yah know...up there.

Best pony? :P

• Brohoof 3

Ooh, ooh, I've got one! Where did the inspiration for your name (SpadeSisters) come from? :grin:

IT came with the Comic, really. We wanted the account to be just for comic and all that but then we just started doing more, commissions came in then we started doing animation so we jsut kinda kept it instead of getting like a joint name.

Spade-Sisters is just a pay off the first "season" of our comic "The Spade Spy System"

Greetings,

Do you like memes? And if you do, what's your fave? 

P.S. Lovely art. <3

We are meme trash, help us

all of them, its too hard to choose XD

Welcome to MLPForums; I'm am quite excited to have you here! FYI; this is CaptainSpyro from DeviantArt. :P

But yeah, this is a silly question that everyone must know cause it's importance is...yah know...up there.

Best pony? :P

AAA I saw you watch us the other day!!!!

Quinn's is Pinkie Pie!

Brigostre's is Apple Jack!

• Brohoof 5

Well, to be honest I Bought her original design! Her original design was very confusing, though. A lot more spots and dots and all that jazz. Over time I calmed it down and let her become what she is now. I LOVE her design because it reminds me of a Black Bear (idk why ^^; )

Very cool to know.  I must say I absolutely love her design and I can see how it would remind you of a black bear.  The face in particular is a wonderful combination; between the mesh of black and white coats, the grey freckles, and the brown mane, all just meshes very nicely.

Staying on the topic of OCs, this one pertains to brigostre's Paper Child but perhaps you can answer it.  Is Paper Child supposed to be a stallion or a mare, because I've seen art of him/her as both genders?  Paper Child's definitely been a male in your vids and most of the Spade-Sisters art of him, but I've seen a lot of female art of this OC as well.  Is the gender intentionally interchangeable or is there just a lot of R63 art of him?

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm assuming you already know me, so let's get on with this.

Where do you get the inspiration for the scenes, jokes, and general ideas for your comic, and what kind of animating program do you use?

Edited by OwlFeather27
  • Brohoof 2

Very cool to know.  I must say I absolutely love her design and I can see how it would remind you of a black bear.  The face in particular is a wonderful combination; between the mesh of black and white coats, the grey freckles, and the brown mane, all just meshes very nicely.

Staying on the topic of OCs, this one pertains to brigostre's Paper Child but perhaps you can answer it.  Is Paper Child supposed to be a stallion or a mare, because I've seen art of him/her as both genders?  Paper Child's definitely been a male in your vids and most of the Spade-Sisters art of him, but I've seen a lot of female art of this OC as well.  Is the gender intentionally interchangeable or is there just a lot of R63 art of him?

pardon me if I sound snappy but NO Paper Child has never once been a male!! Paper is a Female and will always be a female and although she took the male part in the Animatic she is a girl!! If you thought she was male then I'm very sorry but she has never been male :o

• Brohoof 3

Hello there. I actually never really watched any of your videos to be quite honest *puts flameshield up* but i thought as a good host, i ask you a question anyway. :P

Is there any ponyspecies that you really like? (by that i mean, things like batponies, seaponies, lamiaponies, etc.)

• Brohoof 3

I'm assuming you already know me, so let's get on with this.

Where do you get the inspiration for the scenes, jokes, and general ideas for your comic, and what kind of animating program do you use?

Hi Owl :D <3

My family is the general place I get my ideas and all that since the main characters are in fact based of my own family! 

And to animate we generally use Flash~

Hello there. I actually never really watched any of your videos to be quite honest *puts flameshield up* but i thought as a good host, i ask you a question anyway. :P

Is there any ponyspecies that you really like? (by that i mean, things like batponies, seaponies, lamiaponies, etc.)

Canon ponies, Quinn likes Unicorns (the taller version like Cadance and Fleur) and Brigi likes Griffons!

Non Canon wise (like original pony species) we are quite fond of Jewlist ponies or Virus X ponies (look them up on DA they are rad)

• Brohoof 3

AAA I saw you watch us the other day!!!!

Quinn's is Pinkie Pie!

Brigostre's is Apple Jack!

Sweet; you remembered! Thanks for the cookie BTW!  :love:

That said I caught up with your comic and was disappointed it was short thus far. ;) Do you have a big storyline & all planned out for it?

• Brohoof 2

Sweet; you remembered! Thanks for the cookie BTW!  :love:

That said I caught up with your comic and was disappointed it was short thus far. ;) Do you have a big storyline & all planned out for it?

Oh we have a VERY big story line made out for it! And I'm sad we don't have more pages either but that's the fault of making a comic :P we are stock piling pages now so maybe in the future we can post 2-3 pages a week instead of just one~

But hopefully chapter two will bring the excitement back~

• Brohoof 2

pardon me if I sound snappy but NO Paper Child has never once been a male!! Paper is a Female and will always be a female and although she took the male part in the Animatic she is a girl!! If you thought she was male then I'm very sorry but she has never been male :o

Oh no worries, and no offense intended.  I think it was a combination of that vid, the shorter mane-cut and the fact that her eyelashes aren't always as prominent/apparent as Alpha's are in all the artwork of her that threw me off.  My bad, but now I know, and that actually makes the pair of OCs chilling together make even more sense.  :please:

Besides your family as you mentioned in your reply to Owl's question, where'd the idea for your storyline come from?  Do you enjoy simply fiddling with non-canon world-building for Equestria, or are you more interested simply in fleshing out particular characters?

• Brohoof 2

Hello ^^ I'm the one who made the banner for you guys (and also the one who were rude about cookies,) and I am going to ask the obvious questions!

How did you two meet eachother?

• Brohoof 3

Oh no worries, and no offense intended.  I think it was a combination of that vid, the shorter mane-cut and the fact that her eyelashes aren't always as prominent/apparent as Alpha's are in all the artwork of her that threw me off.  My bad, but now I know, and that actually makes the pair of OCs chilling together make even more sense.  :please:

Besides your family as you mentioned in your reply to Owl's question, where'd the idea for your storyline come from?  Do you enjoy simply fiddling with non-canon world-building for Equestria, or are you more interested simply in fleshing out particular characters?

Heh well to be honest Ive been working out the story for a few years now, since I was 13. At first, the story was going to be about a small group of "spies" that stole things to live and they made a home underground. and that was it that was the whole story XD 

As I got older I became more aware that Characters like these went nowhere and I started the rewrite. It became a base, Luna "sponsored" them if they did stuff for her etc etc.

Alot of the Story revolves around both. Characters are important but the technology they are building is important too. Its not "futuristic" technology but more practical. I like to think earth ponies outnumber a unicorn 7:1 and because of that tech for non-magic users are needed. And thats where we started in our world building. So the world is jsut as important as the characters that live in it~

• Brohoof 3

I have no idea how to do this so I'm just starting a new one XD

Best pony/worst pony? Best/worst episode? Favourite fandom OC? Favourite comics that aren't SS? Favourite Spade? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

• Brohoof 1

Hello ^^ I'm the one who made the banner for you guys (and also the one who were rude about cookies,) and I am going to ask the obvious questions!

How did you two meet eachother?

Good Question!!! I sent Brigi a note one day about 2 years ago asking her to make the very first version of the Spade Poster. She said yes because she didn't have much to do so I sent her a shitty sketch and she did it!!

From there I asked her to help me with the comic and she said wait a month and I did and I came back and asked again and then we started!

Our Anniversary was July 11th and we had a wonderful day of exchanging presents :P

• Brohoof 5

Oh we have a VERY big story line made out for it! And I'm sad we don't have more pages either but that's the fault of making a comic :P we are stock piling pages now so maybe in the future we can post 2-3 pages a week instead of just one~

But hopefully chapter two will bring the excitement back~

Ah; can't wait! Of course don't rush yourselves to get these pages out as quality is of the utmost importance. Still, we'll be waiting for your next page~

That said, speaking of comics & such, you ever have the chance to check out the IDW MLP comics?

• Brohoof 3

I have no idea how to do this so I'm just starting a new one XD

Best pony/worst pony? Best/worst episode? Favourite fandom OC? Favourite comics that aren't SS? Favourite Spade? SO MANY QUESTIONS!

your trying your best XD

Oh lord ok lets do this

Quinn: I love all ponies lmoa, I havent watched the show in a while but I hated the episode where the crusaders got there CM. Like I loved the episode but the chunk where the crusaders got there CM was so ehhhhh. Oh my god I love so many OC's its insane. I love alot of Scaevitas's OC's. I LOVE Lunar Isolation on DA or Dash Acadamy. My fav spade is JailBreak because shes mine. OR Punky Luck~

Brigostre: well aj for best,i dont have a worst :v im not caught up enough to know wich is my best/worst ep xD oc's well more something that have like a specific theme to them (like egyptian, space etc) i like those, and comic wise lets go generic and say dash academy

Ah; can't wait! Of course don't rush yourselves to get these pages out as quality is of the utmost importance. Still, we'll be waiting for your next page~

That said, speaking of comics & such, you ever have the chance to check out the IDW MLP comics?

Ive read the very first issue but havent gone much further but i LOVED it, I wish I could read more~

• Brohoof 4