Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Friends Forever #30, Cadence & Twilight

weesh

(edited)

I love relatable episodes like this!

I was at least as horrified as cadence was when I saw the poster.  it was really a strong plot device to drive the story.  its sad and scary how little things, from people who aren't even our friends, can have that level of emotional impact on us.   

I'm sure many people go through season of self-doubt...for me it has been crippling.

Also, the fact that it was about beauty versus competence was a wonderfully pointed track to take.  In a world where princess were literally used for their beauty, lineages and baby making for much of history, I'm continuously thrilled at how MLP bucks this trend.  

Also, there is a wonderful moment that I want to unpack:

cadence: "[what if celestia and luna just put me here as a figurehead?] shining armor is more than capable of protecting the crystal empire on his own!

twilight: "THAT'S NOT TRUE! no offense brother."

shining armor: "none taken"

Besides being pretty funny, I love that shining armor was on the same page as twilight here.  a face full of concern.  And besides, even if shinning armor could PROTECT the crystal empire all on his own, who would have time to serve?  

Another fine issue.  

Edit:

Oh yeah!  The cover is similarly awesome, and by "awesome", I mean "thematically horrifying"

3uZdjIL.jpg

Edited by weesh

Honestly; this comic was a LOT better than I was initially expecting it to be. I love how it addresses self-doubt, and that the one experiencing it is Cadence herself. For somepony that has locked some clear character development in the show this was quite welcome as it gave her some conflict that she had to overcome. Granted it might have been taken care of a bit too quickly, but overall it's a solid entry.

Honestly; this comic was a LOT better than I was initially expecting it to be. I love how it addresses self-doubt, and that the one experiencing it is Cadence herself. For somepony that has locked some clear character development in the show this was quite welcome as it gave her some conflict that she had to overcome. Granted it might have been taken care of a bit too quickly, but overall it's a solid entry.

Yeah, it absolutely could have been drawn out.  Lots of people have periods of self-doubt that are crippling for long periods of time...

But I also appreciated them working hard to rally ponies around her and affirm her.  In many cases, self-doubt isn't actually based in logic but emotion.  I found the speed believable, and the resolution satisfying.  

honestly, this episode hits a little close to home...if they had drawn in out, it might have been really hard for me to read.

Since Cadence started out as one of the more mature ponies on the show, seeing her struggle was affirming.  I don't like characters that always have all their ducks in a row.  They aren't interesting if they are perfect.  

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, it absolutely could have been drawn out.  Lots of people have periods of self-doubt that are crippling for long periods of time...

But I also appreciated them working hard to rally ponies around her and affirm her.  In many cases, self-doubt isn't actually based in logic but emotion.  I found the speed believable, and the resolution satisfying.  

honestly, this episode hits a little close to home...if they had drawn in out, it might have been really hard for me to read.

Since Cadence started out as one of the more mature ponies on the show, seeing her struggle was affirming.  I don't like characters that always have all their ducks in a row.  They aren't interesting if they are perfect.  

That's actually an interesting perspective, and it helps me to appreciate how the comic approached this issue. Still I won't call it one of my top comics, but overall I can see where you're coming from here. :)

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, this sort of seems like IDW almost calling out some of Hasbro's bull**** marketing style when they often marketing My Little Pony. I understand that the show was aimed at young girls but to me, it seems they often over exaggerate the characters as being 'pretty' rather than focus on the side of them that makes them awesome, which I guess in turn tells them they should just focus on being "pretty" and stuff that we clearly know doesn't help.

In the comic, I noticed this similarity when Cadence saw her costume listed as "Pretty Princess" and heard what some of the filllies said about her.