Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Billboard Hot 100 1990s Greatest Hits

MilesW1998

Billboard Hot 100 1990s Greatest Hits  

11 users have voted

1. 1. Out of Billboard's decade end hot 100 for the 90s, What are some of your favorites?

• One Sweet Day- Mariah Carey/Boyz II Men
    • Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix)- Los Del Rio
    • I'll Make Love To You- Boyz II Men
    • Un-Break My Heart- Toni Braxton
    • Candle In The Wind 1997- Elton John
    • End Of The Road- Boyz II Men
    • I Will Always Love You- Whitney Houston
    • The Boy is Mine- Brandy & Monica
    • I Swaer- All 4 One
    • I'll Be Missing You- Puff Daddy/Faith Evans/112
    • The Sign- Ace Of Base
    • How Do I Live- Leann Rimes
    • Gangsta's Paradies- Coolio/L.V.
    • On Bended Knee- Boyz II Men
    • Fantasy- Mariah Carey
    • Too Close- Next
    • That's The Way Love Goes- Janet Jackson
    • Because You Loved Me- Celine Dion
    • Waterfalls- TLC
    • Dreamlover- Mariah Carey
    • Creep- TLC
    • Can't Help Falling In Love- UB40
    • Jump- Kriss Kross
    • Take A Bow- Madonna
    • Tha Crossroad- Bone Thugs-n-Harmony
    • The First Night- Monica
    • Can't Nobody Hold Me Down- Puff Daddy/Mase
    • Informer- Snow
    • This Is How We Do It- Montell Jordan
    • Baby Got Back- Sir Mix-A-Lot
    • Believe- Cher
    • Freak Me- Silk
    • No Scrubs- TLC
    • You're Still The One- Shania Twain
    • Wannabe- Spice Girls
    • No Diggity- Blackstreet/Dr. Dre/Queen Pen
    • Everything I Do (I Do It For You)- Bryan Adams
    • Livin' La Vida Loca- Ricky Martin
    • Black Or White- Michael Jackson
    • I'd Do Anything For Love- Meat Loaf
    • Smooth- Santana/Rob Thomas
    • Stay (I Miss You)- Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories
    • Genie In A Bottle- Christina Aguilera
    • Whoop! (There It Is)- Tag Team
    • You Make Me Wanna...- Usher
    • If You Had My Love- Jennifer Lopez
    • Save The Best For Last- Vanessa Williams
    • The Power Of Love- Celine Dion
    • Always Be My Baby- Mariah Carey
    • I'm Your Angel- R. Kelly/Celine Dion
    • Another Real Night- Real McCoy
    • Exhale (Shoop Shoop)- Whiteny Houston
    • Hero- Mariah Carey
    • Have You Ever Really Loved A Woman- Bryan Adams
    • Bump N Grind- R. Kelly
    • Again- Janet Jackson
    • MMBop- Hanson
    • Kiss From A Rose- Seal
    • Weak- SWV
    • Nobody's Supposed To Be Here- Deborah Cox
    • Nobody Knows- The Tony Rich Perfect
    • Angel Of Mine- Monica
    • Truly Madly Deeply- Savage Garden
    • Rush Rush- Paula Abdul
    • Here Comes The Hotstepper- Ini Kamoze
    • If I Ever Fall In Love- Shai
    • You Were Meant For Me- Jewel
    • You're Making Me High- Toni Braxton
    • All For Love- Bryan Adams/Rod Stewart/Sting
    • All That She Want- Ace Of Base
    • I Love You Always Forever- Donna Lewis
    • Because I Love You- Stevie B
    • I Don't Want To Miss A Thing- Aerosmith
    • Together Again- Janet Jackson
    • Nice & Slow- Usher
    • Unpretty- TLC
    • It's All Coming Back To Me Now- Celine Dion
    • ... Baby One More Time- Britney Spears
    • I'm Too Sexy- Right Said Fred
    • Bayb-Baby-Baby- TLC
    • My Way- Usher
    • Nothing Compares To U- Sinead O' Connor
    • Don't Let Go -En Vogue
    • Lately- Divine
    • Mo Money, Mo Problems- The Notorious B.I.G/Puff Daddy/Mase
    • Quit Playing Games- Backstreet Boys
    • I Believe I Can Fly- R. Kelly
    • Hypnotize- The Notorious B.I.G
    • Twisted- Keith Sweat
    • To Be With You- Mr. Big
    • Vision Of Love- Mariah Carey
    • Rump Shaker- Wrecx-n-Effect/Teddy Riley
    • Vogue- Madonna
    • All 4 Love- Color Me Badd
    • Nuthin' But A G String- Dr. Dre/Snoop Dogg
    • I'll Be There- Mariah Carey
    • California Love- 2pac/Dr. Dre/ Troutman
    • All My Life/- K-Ci & Jojo
    • My All- Mariah Carey
    • Return Of The Mack- Mark Morrison

(edited)

Which of these songs are your favorites to come out of the 1990s? And before you ask where was Everybody, (Backstreet's Back) or You Are Not Alone, or any other song from that decade. the answer is it was not on Billboard's Decade end list for the 1990s. And if anyone asks, my #1 favorite is One Sweet Day. And in this poll, you can vote for more than just 1 song.

Edited by MilesW1998
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Wow. What was wrong with people in the 90's?

I'm surprised Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Green Day or even Nirvana never made it. 

Edited by Denim&Venom
  • Brohoof 4

I'm surprised Nirvana or Rage Against The Machine never made it. 

They probably never got much in terms of airplay and physical sales back then. The 90s wasn't a decade run by rock, or pop; its was run by R&B. Artists like Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, R. Kelly and Paula Abdul dominated the charts in the 90s. What I would do to actually live through that whole decade.

They probably never got much in terms of airplay and physical sales back then. The 90s wasn't a decade run by rock, or pop; its was run by R&B. Artists like Mariah Carey, Boyz II Men, Whitney Houston, Celine Dion, R. Kelly and Paula Abdul dominated the charts in the 90s. What I would do to actually live through that whole decade.

A bit surprising, considering the 90's signaled the apex of grunge and the revival of punk and alt rock, as well as the rise of nu-metal.  

A bit surprising, considering the 90's signaled the apex of grunge and the revival of punk and alt rock, as well as the rise of nu-metal.  

It was popular, but it wasn't as groundbreaking as the debuts of Mariah Carey, who had 14 #1's in the 90s alone, and had at least 1 #1 for at least 1 week in the calendar year for Billboard, making her the only artist ever to achieve such a feat. She even has the longest running #1 of all time, which was also the #1 song of the 90s, the #2 song of 1996,and the #36 song of all time. Don't get me wrong, grunge, and the punk-rock revival was seen throughout the decade (We have an Aerosmith song in the decade end list, even if it is their last #1 and their worst song IMO) and Nirvana did have a #1 hit in the decade, it just wasn't as popular to make the decade end list. I think the listening public had that big shift toward R&B and Soul with the more relaxing sound of R&B that was enjoyed throughout. If the 80s brought on New Wave, the 90s brought R&B to the front, with the revival of punk-rock and the birth of grunge. (Even if it would lead to the death of the front-man of Nirvana, and bring in awful post-grunge bands like Nickelback, Theory Of A Dead Man, Hinder, and of course, Creed)

(Even if it would lead to the death of the front-man of Nirvana, and bring in awful post-grunge bands like Nickelback, Theory Of A Dead Man, Hinder, and of course, Creed)

Not to mention another 20 years of bands placating to the radio rock formula, as well as almost killing the market for hard rock and heavy metal. Heck, 25 years on, the market still hasn't recovered. Heavy musics glory days in the U.S. are over. Grunge started it. Rap, R&B & Pop continued it. Napster finished it. 

I never quite got the mass appeal of soulful, relaxing music. Doesn't really engage the listener, tell a story, or stoke the imagination. I can see why it does have it's fans. Just not on this massive of a popularity scale. 

(edited)

The only song on there I like is I'm too Sexy. That song is awesome! I'm actually disappointed on the other stuff. Seriously, how did Nirvana not make it onto that list? No U2? Achtung Baby came out in 91, and that is considered one of U2's best albums.

Edited by El Duderino
  • Brohoof 1

I never quite got the mass appeal of soulful, relaxing music. Doesn't really engage the listener, tell a story, or stoke the imagination. I can see why it does have it's fans. Just not on this massive of a popularity scale. 

Well, One Sweet Day actually does have a story. The story is about death of a loved one, how the protagonist took their presence for granted and misses them, and finally about seeing the person in heaven. Both Carey and Boyz II Men wrote the song about specific people in their lives, being inspired by sufferers of AIDS epidemic, which was globally prevalent at that time. I do love soulful R&B, but I also love the more enthusiastic, and bombastic pop and rock music. And I wouldn't say rock is completely dead, I mean Fall Out Boy is still around aren't they?

I mean Fall Out Boy is still around aren't they?

That is the furthest thing from a good indication. 

And yes, some R&B & Pop songs do have a story. Some. But from what I've been exposed to, it feels like the primary themes involve romance, breaking up and partying. Don't blame me. Blame the various stores & restaurants that play a rotation of top 40 hits from various years. There maybe stuff with depth out there, but it feels like the majority is lacking in it. 

The only song on there I like is I'm too Sexy. That song is awesome! I'm actually disappointed on the other stuff. Seriously, how did Nirvana not make it onto that list? No U2? Achtung Baby came out in 91, and that is considered one of U2's best albums.

I'm sure a UK version of the list would have U2 on it. But I'm still dumbfounded that there isn't the slightest bit of grunge on that list. And where is Alanis Morissette? I was sure I'd see Ironic on there somewhere.

• Brohoof 1

That is the furthest thing from a good indication. 

And yes, some R&B & Pop songs do have a story. Some. But from what I've been exposed to, it feels like the primary themes involve romance, breaking up and partying. Don't blame me. Blame the various stores & restaurants that play a rotation of top 40 hits from various years. There maybe stuff with depth out there, but it feels like the majority is lacking in it. 

Don't forget self-empowerment anthems like Fight Song, Just Like Fire, what any one who hates Kelly Clarkson must think about in every Kelly Clarkson song. Maybe its juts me, but I actually like most of the big top 40 hits, because I don't mind them that much. Artists like P!nk, Sia, Justin Timberlake, Fall Out Boy, Twenty One Pilots, Taylor Swift, Katy Perry, etc. I'm just more of a mainstream music fan, that's juts who I am, but I don't hate other non-mainstream bands and artists, I respect them, and the people who like them.

Oh man, I totally remember when everyone in school wanted to do the Macarena! Lots of nostalgia with these songs. This thread is life. <3

• Brohoof 1

I'm sure a UK version of the list would have U2 on it. But I'm still dumbfounded that there isn't the slightest bit of grunge on that list. And where is Alanis Morissette? I was sure I'd see Ironic on there somewhere.

Unfortunately, Grunge, while big in the 90s, wasn't too popular to hit the decade end list, not even Smells Like Teenage Spirit. Most of the 90s could be summed up with 1 artist and 1 genre; Mariah Carey, and R&B.

@@MilesW1998,

Believe me, I'm fine that you like them.  

It just feels like the stuff I like isn't considered on par by most others, or would never weigh in on it to begin with. They'll never hear it, cause it's not what radio is looking for. 

@@MilesW1998,

Believe me, I'm fine that you like them.  

It just feels like the stuff I like isn't considered on par by most others, or would never weigh in on it to begin with. They'll never hear it, cause it's not what radio is looking for. 

That's fine, I respect your opinion.

Oh man, I totally remember when everyone in school wanted to do the Macarena! Lots of nostalgia with these songs. This thread is life. <3

Every time I hear that song I always to the dance. Its so damn great.

• Brohoof 2

I'm surprised Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, Green Day or even Nirvana never made it. 

The list has a few modifiers in it with longevity boosting overall value. I can't recall the weight metrics on radio vs tickets vs album sales, but bands that didn't tour much were often at a disadvantage. Of course that means Seven Mary Three, Sublime, and Nirvana are usually not going to crack the top 20. The fundamental problem with this list and lists like it are that those that grew up in this era with limited disposable income did not have as much of a voice .. 

Basically, this list does not measure zeitgeist or influence. Also if you like RatM ... I like you all the more now. 

I just saw that my wedding song is on there. Nice. 

• Brohoof 2

Basically, this list does not measure zeitgeist or influence. Also if you like RatM ... I like you all the more now. 

Certainly like them a boatload more than everyone on this list combined. Though in terms of my favs from the 90's, I was really hoping The Offspring or Pantera would crack this list.  

The list has a few modifiers in it with longevity boosting overall value. I can't recall the weight metrics on radio vs tickets vs album sales, but bands that didn't tour much were often at a disadvantage. Of course that means Seven Mary Three, Sublime, and Nirvana are usually not going to crack the top 20. The fundamental problem with this list and lists like it are that those that grew up in this era with limited disposable income did not have as much of a voice .. 

I just saw that my wedding song is on there. Nice. 

Actually, most grunge and punk rock bands were not extremely successful as R&B artists were at the time, chart wise. Airplay and physical sales depended on the chart success in that decade, and while most of them did perform well in separate years, they did not perform well enough to enter the decade end list. R&B were the more influential zeitgeist of the 90s to be honest. More people remember the more R&B and pop hits of that decade. Songs like Candle In The Wind 199, which was the best selling single on the decade. One Sweet Day being the longest running #1 of all time, as well as being the #1 song of the 90s. The Macarena which took more than 30 weeks to reach the #1 spot, and was the #1 song of 1996, and  #2 of the decade. Smooth, was the last #1 of the 90s, and reached the top 50 for both the decade end lists of the 90s and the 2000s, and was the #2 song 0f 200 and of all time. More people remember those songs than the grunge, and punk-rock songs of that era.

Not the 90s I grew up with, but I found 3 songs I absolutely adore: Smooth by Santana, Black or White by the Late MJ, and a personal favorite, I Would Do Anything for Love by Meatloaf. Certainly not as good as Paradise by the Dashboard Light, but still a damn good song.

Anytime I think of the past, I think of the time when there were fewer problems :I .

BUT that's not what we're here to discuss :adorkable:. Macarena, Waterfalls, and I Love You Always Forever were some of the songs I picked.

If you had a 1980s version, I'd probably pick a dozen :derp:. Prolly...

• Brohoof 2

That moment when you realize the song you probably like most from a billboard list is "Baby Got Back."

I know people keep saying "Nirvana," but I admittedly never really got into them.  I had friends who did; gods did I ever.  At least one of whom came to school sporting Cobain's death certificate on a t-shirt, not long after his passing.

I think it's a shame that rock is pretty much represented by Aerosmith's "Don't Wanna Miss A Thang" on this list.  Though not all of them were strictly "rock," I remember enjoying the likes of Ozzy, Pearl Jam, Collective Soul, Soundgarden, Tom Petty, The Offspring, Primus, and STP during the nineties.  People went crazy for Bush's debut album "Sixteen Stone."  Anything from that up there?  No (though I'm kinda glad on that point).

• Brohoof 1

Reading that list just helps to further my view that the 90s was such a forgettable decade. I lived through the whole decade (although I was a toddler when it started), and I remember some of these songs, but none of them I regularly listen to, and none of them I consider music that I would listen to for their own merit and not just a slight bit of nostalgia (whatever slight bit it brings to me. lol)

Actually, most grunge and punk rock bands were not extremely successful as R&B artists were at the time, chart wise. Airplay and physical sales depended on the chart success in that decade, and while most of them did perform well in separate years, they did not perform well enough to enter the decade end list. R&B were the more influential zeitgeist of the 90s to be honest. More people remember the more R&B and pop hits of that decade. Songs like Candle In The Wind 199, which was the best selling single on the decade. One Sweet Day being the longest running #1 of all time, as well as being the #1 song of the 90s. The Macarena which took more than 30 weeks to reach the #1 spot, and was the #1 song of 1996, and  #2 of the decade. Smooth, was the last #1 of the 90s, and reached the top 50 for both the decade end lists of the 90s and the 2000s, and was the #2 song 0f 200 and of all time. More people remember those songs than the grunge, and punk-rock songs of that era.

Nothing in my post disputes that (Pop and Rock both outsell Country and Rap as genres), though I specifically gave a reason (and a flaw) that existed with Billboard at the time. There are several other issues that make me smile with the realization that list isn't even mathematically accurate. Can you pick out the amusingly absent song from this list was #1 for 12 weeks, best selling single of a specific year, and was on a 2-3ph required rotation in most markets? Even as a barometer of mass media popularity this list is flawed.

More to that, the geniuses that run Nielsen have screwed up the late 00's and this decade so badly that their charts have been grossly inaccurate and not anyway an accurate measurement of popularity. They discovered YouTube and streaming in 2013 ;)

Not the 90s I grew up with, but I found 3 songs I absolutely adore: Smooth by Santana, Black or White by the Late MJ, and a personal favorite, I Would Do Anything for Love by Meatloaf. Certainly not as good as Paradise by the Dashboard Light, but still a damn good song.

I adore the fist 2 you picked, but I can't stand Meatloaf.

Nothing in my post disputes that (Pop and Rock both outsell Country and Rap as genres), though I specifically gave a reason (and a flaw) that existed with Billboard at the time. There are several other issues that make me smile with the realization that list isn't even mathematically accurate. Can you pick out the amusingly absent song from this list was #1 for 12 weeks, best selling single of a specific year, and was on a 2-3ph required rotation in most markets? Even as a barometer of mass media popularity this list is flawed.

More to that, the geniuses that run Nielsen have screwed up the late 00's and this decade so badly that their charts have been grossly inaccurate and not anyway an accurate measurement of popularity. They discovered YouTube and streaming in 2013 ;)

I'm sorry but there was no song that spent 12 weeks at #1 and was absent from this list. The one song that spent 12 weeks was Smooth. No list is perfect, but this is the closest to it we've got, and we have to live with it.

Reading that list just helps to further my view that the 90s was such a forgettable decade. I lived through the whole decade (although I was a toddler when it started), and I remember some of these songs, but none of them I regularly listen to, and none of them I consider music that I would listen to for their own merit and not just a slight bit of nostalgia (whatever slight bit it brings to me. lol)

I was born in '98, and honestly I would prefer some of the 80s and 90s gems than the songs from the 2000s. I mean, my favorite song of all time is a 90s song.