Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Apple/Mac Enthusiasts Thread

Silhouette.png

Apple/Mac Enthusiasts Thread

PC gamers have their own thread for PC Master Race, well I figured those of us Apple/Mac fans should have our own as well to discuss Apple products, great apps, favorite machines, upcoming releases and all things Apple. This thread is a free territory for those who have had their Apple devices for a long time or those who are thinking of coming over for the first time to try the Apple ecosystem! Before you get started I'll give you some information that might prove either useful or informative!

My Story

I grew up as a kid being forced to use Macs, and back then I hated them. They were rather primitive at the time and at home I always had windows PCs. I had since grown up with PCs and when I got into PC gaming, Windows became my focus. My first iPhone was an iPhone 3GS back in 2009, and it served me well for 5 years. When I finally made the switch to premium Androids, it just was never the same. I could never find an Android that performed as well, or served as well as the iPhone I had. Finally this year I made the switch back to an iPhone 6S and I have never been happier.

After the much annoying Windows 10, and playing with it for over a year, I had made the decision to switch all of my systems to Macs and keep a single PC around for the few PC operations that I would need one for. So I am on my path to switching to all Macs in my home with me and my wife.

Why Apple/Mac?

You'll hear a lot back and forth about Apple vs. PC, or Apple vs. Android, but the truth is... There is a lot of propaganda on both sides. Objectively speaking Apple's phones generally are lower specs than their Android counter parts, but their performance scores always score higher. This is because iPhones are better optimized because they are built around the OS which means they can take better advantage of the phone's hardware.

On the computer side of things, Macs consistently have a higher stability than PCs, and for you basic computing needs are reliable and seldom get viruses. Macs are also serviced by Apple through Applecare to a much greater extent than most windows PC counterparts.

"But I thought Macs were overpriced and expensive!"

There is no denying their price tag. To join the Apple ecosystem it will cost a pretty penny. Fortunately payment plans for Macs exist, and you really do get what you pay for. Most Mac users still have working Macs from years ago. Lately Apple has been releasing all OS upgrades for free, and before that they were relatively cheap. Apple takes great care of their people, and that means when you're part of the Apple family, the family usually takes care of you. While the machines are expensive, you can go entry level with a Mac Mini for around $500-600 if you're more interested in trying it out before going too deep in. 

"What about Hackintosh?"

You are free to talk about your hackintosh here!

I hate to sound like a fan boy but I've been using all Apple for the past 5 years or so and I haven't had any problems.  My first Mac was a MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and to this day I still use it, everyday,  with no problems.  Though the specs are lower than what I need to use now (for stuff like Photoshop and Premiere that I use regularly) and I'm starting college soon so it's probably time for an upgrade

Though I'm not a big fan though of the recent rumors that the next MBP will abandon all ports and just have USB-C.  That's going to be too many adapters, and until everyone catches up to using strictly USB-C (which I predict won't be too soon), it'll be more of a hassle than anything.

I hate to sound like a fan boy but I've been using all Apple for the past 5 years or so and I haven't had any problems.  My first Mac was a MacBook Pro (Early 2011) and to this day I still use it, everyday,  with no problems.  Though the specs are lower than what I need to use now (for stuff like Photoshop and Premiere that I use regularly) and I'm starting college soon so it's probably time for an upgrade

Though I'm not a big fan though of the recent rumors that the next MBP will abandon all ports and just have USB-C.  That's going to be too many adapters, and until everyone catches up to using strictly USB-C (which I predict won't be too soon), it'll be more of a hassle than anything.

Yeah I'm not a fan of the USB-C only switch. Hopefully they don't do it for the pro. :c

• 3 weeks later...

I actually have two hackintoshes, my dell mini 10v (which is running snow leopard) and my dell optiplex 780 (which is running mavericks), they actually work pretty well despite common belief that their unstable, I'm actually probably going to get a mac mini at some point so thats something

Yeah I'm not a fan of the USB-C only switch. Hopefully they don't do it for the pro. :c

Thats not something they can/would do, the only reason the macbook has only usb c is to keep it crazy thin and light, the reason they cant do it with the pro is because pro's will more likely than not be using external hard drives for data, it would basically kill the pro part of the macbook pro

When I get back to my desk I'll happily recount by Apple experiences. I use both PC and Apple, as well as Android and iPhone. For mobile devices I generally consider it a push, but there is no denying the build quality and workmanship of an iPhone.

For home computing, I've owned Apple products throughout my adulthood without a gap. I've yet to have a hardware failure, and the longevity each machine provided me has yet to be equaled.

I'm an odd one, I prefer OS X to Windows but prefer Android to iOS :P Sooo, I guess I can post here as I'm using an iMac right now :P

I may as well ask an Apple related question whilst I'm here. This iMac I'm using is Mid 2011 and has the build in 4GB of RAM. I want to upgrade it to 8GB, is it easy to do? Is it idiot proof? I've seen videos and it looks easy enough but I don't trust myself to do it properly :P I don't like opening things up. I'm scared of breaking something.

Edited by Kayleigh

I'm an Apple fan too - I have an old C2D white bamboos that I got in 2007 that still works (except the battery died, but if plugged into the mains it still works) and currently am using a late 2012 iMac. However, the PSU has gone twice on the Imac (seems to be a problem with my specific model with the GTX680mx graphics card), and it's showing signs of giving up again :/. So am currently waiting (hoping!) Apple update their Mac Pro line, as I'd love one of them, but don't want to drop that much money on a computer that is essentially 3 years old :s - so hopefully there will be an announcement by the end of the year!!!!! (That is one thing I hate about Apple, their obsession with secrecy).

As for others, I love my iPhone 6 (first iPhone and only cell phone I've kept for more than a year without wanting to upgrade) and am typing this on an iPad Pro...so I think it's safe to say I've been pretty much indoctrinated into the Apple way of life lol

I'm an odd one, I prefer OS X to Windows but prefer Android to iOS :P Sooo, I guess I can post here as I'm using an iMac right now :P

I may as well ask an Apple related question whilst I'm here. This iMac I'm using is Mid 2011 and has the build in 4GB of RAM. I want to upgrade it to 8GB, is it easy to do? Is it idiot proof? I've seen videos and it looks easy enough but I don't trust myself to do it properly :P I don't like opening things up. I'm scared of breaking something.

Yeah, it's really easy, the worst thing you can do is try to put the ram in upside down, but if you do it won't fit so will be come obvious before doing any damage.

• Brohoof 1