Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Movie Forum "Prediction" threads

In the MLP 2017 film forums and even sometimes in the Equestria Girls films section before movies get released we get a ton of threads offering or asking predictions on the films:

https://mlpforums.com/topic/154503-i-hope-were-getting-a-claude-frollo-caliber-villain/

https://mlpforums.com/topic/150568-the-villain-of-the-movie/

https://mlpforums.com/topic/154452-box-office-predictions-for-the-mlp-movie-success-or-bomb/

https://mlpforums.com/topic/152702-how-long-will-it-be/

Not to be confused with threads where new information is made available and a discussion about information comes about:

https://mlpforums.com/topic/154563-no-discord-in-the-movie/

These predictions threads are often really not based upon much information and a lot of the time speculation and sort of flooding the forum with a lot of topics that could be consolidated into a single "predictions" thread.

My proposal: Make a single predictions thread and merge a lot of these topics to clean the forum up a little bit because honestly "How long will the film be?" isn't really a very big discussion topic since there is nothing to base it upon and it's such a narrow subject.

I vehemently disagree with this idea. I will tell you right here and now I can and have the ability circumvent any such restrictive concepts personally by creating a series of topics based on singular statements with elaboration to the point where you would have consensual approbation. As a member, I have done this with locked topics in order to give the community a chance to feel as if their questions or views have substance worth valid discussion, and to engage in a deeper discussion when otherwise limited. I have always felt that there is a line that can be crossed between promoting good in depth discussion, and actively marginalizing certain members of the community with what would be institutionalized declaration of another's individual lack of imagination and intelligence. That in and of itself as is disgraceful as the complaints that you previously levied at staff earlier. 

Besides, these topics tend to be what you find in fan communities, and we are first and foremost ... a fan community. 

My counter proposal option 1: Do nothing

My counter proposal option 2: create a 'Speculation Prefix'

Also important and not to be discounted - Google search results are better with more topics. This is a good thing as the movie gets closer to launch. :)
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I vehemently disagree with this idea. I will tell you right here and now I can and have the ability circumvent any such restrictive concepts personally by creating a series of topics based on singular statements with elaboration to the point where you would have consensual approbation. As a member, I have done this with locked topics in order to give the community a chance to feel as if their questions or views have substance worth valid discussion, and to engage in a deeper discussion when otherwise limited. I have always felt that there is a line that can be crossed between promoting good in depth discussion, and actively marginalizing certain members of the community with what would be institutionalized declaration of another's individual lack of imagination and intelligence. That in and of itself as is disgraceful as the complaints that you previously levied at staff earlier. 

Besides, these topics tend to be what you find in fan communities, and we are first and foremost ... a fan community. 

My counter proposal option 1: Do nothing

My counter proposal option 2: create a 'Speculation Prefix'

Ummm excuse me? My complaints against the staff in the past are irrelevant here, and I would appreciate it if you didn't bring that up here as it's not the time, or place. Your opinion on my complaints in another topic is not really relevant here. Disagreeing is one thing, but you could do so in less of a... Well... Aggressive way? Also could you please keep it relevant to the topic at hand. My previous complaints against the staff are my complaints and not intended as slander, to call them "disgraceful" is dismissing feedback and trying to say that I have done nothing but tried to disgrace the staff which I have never done. I brought up complaints with explanation based upon my experiences. Experiences I addressed to the staff through the PROPER channel and even stated many times NOT to attack the staff. It's flat out insulting to have you come here and imply that I have done anything with the intention of being malicious when I clearly have not. I took my feedback serious and not as a chance to take a stab at the staff. I used the proper forum to do so, and made sure to discourage needless attacking.

I literally took every precaution to make sure my complaints were respectful, and addressed the issue as maturely as possible. When the staff responded, I allowed them to speak and I allowed them to do so without snarky commentary. I discouraged snarky commentary and encouraged only addressing the issue professionally and maturely. To imply that I was doing something disgraceful is simply insulting and incorrect.

Whether or not you agree with my complaints is not even relevant, but to call it "disgraceful" is disrespectful to myself. I am requesting 1. You cease and 2. You keep your points relevant to the topic at hand.

My proposal still stands. I disagree with your disagreement. I feel these topics often create little to no discussion possibilities and flood the feed preventing other topics from getting attention. My issue is that a lot of these topics are so similar and based upon rather simplistic premise that is better suited for blog posts over an entire topic considering there is no information to utilize to create any actual footing.

Edited by Guest

I meant your statement that you desired respect from staff. Here you propose staff invoke a policy of systemic disrespect against various members of the community who actually consider their ideas in line with fandom discussionby. Leaving it at status quo by not treating them as suspect or stating that their opinions are of lesser merit is the better bet.

I'm sorry you don't find them worthwhile, but some do. We are not a News Board. This is why I actually suggested a compromise position. ;)

(edited)
I meant your statement that you desired respect from staff.

Desiring respect from the staff to the users is not a disgraceful thing to want. The staff should respect the users, and I think a majority of the staff would agree there. I fail to see how anything I said was disgraceful. The users should respect the staff and the staff should respect the users. I see no problems.

Here to propose staff invokes a policy of systemic disrespect against various members of the community who actually consider their ideas in line with fandom discussion by not treating them as suspect or opinions of lesser merit.

There is a way to disagree with a proposal without being so aggressive about it.

That being said, many people make topics they believe are worthy of discussion which are told their topics are better left as a status update or a blog, so I don't see how this is much different. A topic that doesn't really create a lot of discussion value is always treated as it should be a status update or a blog. I see little difference here. It's not about disrespecting the users, it's about not having a hundred different topics making random predictions of the film for every minor detail. I mean we don't really need a topic guessing the length of the film, etc. But that is my opinion.

'm sorry you don't find them worthwhile, but some do.

You disagree with my perspective. That is fine, but that doesn't invalidate it. I would like the input of more people.

We are not a News Board. This is why I actually suggested a compromise position.

It might help. I think we can agree there, but this isn't really about "news" it's more about people putting more work into other topics to generate discussion being buried under topics just guessing details of the film without any real basis to guess on. So more or less a topic just randomly guessing stuff can quickly push down a topic that has a broader discussion scope. It's a clean up suggestion, not and outlawing suggestion.

However the prefix could be a good start. 

Edited by Guest

Staff already knows my opinion about this. and I can guarantee each and everyone of them isn't shocked in the least that I've replied to this with such determination to represent the totality of the community, especially those with exuberance to share and inexperience to format a dissertation. That's too far past the boundaries of elitism for my comfort. Discussion forums should be fun to participate in and codifying a strict quality measure is bad for business.

When I see a topic locked I evaluate it. I decide if tgere is a point of substance I will recreate it myself. Other times I've brought my disagreement to the attention of the staff. I promise you if I see an uptick in merged or locked topics, I will respond with a torrent of new topics that fit your standard of discussion, without devaluing the opinion of its original author with appropriate citation.

A topic speculating on a villain in the film has just as much value as any other. If you are concerned about quality, participate directly in the conversation.

And I only get passionate about things I feel are important to others. My stance is one that is of inclusion. While my method may be a bit 'Federalist Essay', this is a huge issue that I won't simply drop.

(edited)
Staff already knows my opinion about this. and I can guarantee each and everyone of them isn't shocked in the least that I've replied to this with such determination to represent the totality of the community, especially those with exuberance to share and inexperience to format a dissertation. That's too far past the boundaries of elitism for my comfort. Discussion forums should be fun to participate in and codifying a strict quality measure is bad for business.

That's all fine and good, and I respect and encourage disagreement along with explanation, but what I do not approve of is being accused of being disgraceful for saying at some point in another thread the the staff should respect the users and that the users should respect the staff. I think you were very out of line with that comment, or you have me mistaken for someone else because I have always advocated respecting the staff and addressing complaints respectfully.

A topic speculating on a villain in the film has just as much value as any other. If you are concerned about quality, participate directly in the conversation. And I only get passionate about things I feel are important to others. My stance is one that is of inclusion. While my method may be a bit 'Federalist Essay', this is a huge issue that I won't simply drop.

and that's fine, I am even starting to see your point, but you could have delivered it a bit better... Without implying that I was being disgraceful to the staff in some manner, when that could not be further from the truth.

Edited by Guest