Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gray or Grey?

DubWolf

76 users have voted

1. 1. Which spelling?

• gray
    • grey

I'm gonna be completely honest. I never realized there was a different way to spell it. I subconsciously spell it as "grey", but I swear I've seen it written down places as "gray" before (aside from here). Probably one of those words that's spelled wrong differently depending on which country you're from.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Gray because Sekr  :P

Also Funny thing...Searching Grey on google has Gray as the first page while searching Gray has Grey on the first page....Google knows how to troll :orly:  

Edited by Vulcan
  • Brohoof 2

I usually side with American English norms on stuff like these, since it's the more common-sense spelling, most of the time. But for some odd reason, I just hate when "a" makes that sound that I think that the "grey" spelling is more intuitive. I'm also probably overthinking this.

• Brohoof 1

"Gray", as that's the appropriate term for American English. I used to type the latter thinking that was how you spelled it, but realized both were used. :derp:

I believe how it's spelt really just comes down from where you're from. Regardless of this, to me "grey" is the correct way of spelling it. "Gray" just doesn't seem right.

Grey. I don't even think about it. Although I use a rather lazy mix of British and American English, thats one of the things that always stuck.

• Brohoof 1

Græ!

I'm Canadian, so it's a bit wibbly for me. Sometimes it comes out with the American spelling, sometimes with the British spelling. I just remind myself that the spelling of this particular word wasn't fixed until about 1950 or so. Even in British English the spelling was variable until then.

• Brohoof 1

I use mostly American English, as I am from the states, myself. However, I always use "Grey". I don't know why, and I don't remember if it's always been that way. XD

Gray color. (I hear the groaning for that double American spelling)

however

Earl Grey tea. (hot, as Jean-Luc would like)

I believe how it's spelt really just comes down from where you're from. Regardless of this, to me "grey" is the correct way of spelling it. "Gray" just doesn't seem right.

Not even that. I've been taught my whole life that both are acceptable ways to spell it. I don't actually know why there is two ways to spell it in the first place.

Not even that. I've been taught my whole life that both are acceptable ways to spell it. I don't actually know why there is two ways to spell it in the first place.

It is strange, I think it's just one of those UK vs US English things; removal of "u" in words is another example.

It is strange, I think it's just one of those UK vs US English things; removal of "u" in words is another example.

I would never have even known that. I live in the US and every teacher I've ever had, every person I've ever talked to, has never treated them as region separation. They're just completely interchangeable. :P

I tend to switch between the two spellings (same with Cadence and Cadance), but I think I spell it grey more often.  

I relate to this so much that I wouldn't even need to add anything else. I still think that 'grey' comes more naturally since that's what they taught at my school.