Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gray or Grey?

DubWolf

76 users have voted

1. 1. Which spelling?

• gray
    • grey

Græ!

I'm Canadian, so it's a bit wibbly for me. Sometimes it comes out with the American spelling, sometimes with the British spelling. I just remind myself that the spelling of this particular word wasn't fixed until about 1950 or so. Even in British English the spelling was variable until then.

I find myself switching too, but most of it I think is due to my fondness for reading dead people's mail. Seeing it varied all over different correspondence from the 18th to 20th century is kinda cool.

Unrelated but I'm glad certain habits died out, like adding 'ical' to every other word.

(edited)

I don't write the word down very much.

Because I'm American, I try to use the American spelling (gray) when I do use the word.

Edited by Grepper

(edited)

The easiest way I remember it is: 

grAy if you're an American

grEy if you're English. 

Yes, sometimes life really is just that easy. :P 

Edited by Dinos4Ever
  • Brohoof 1

I don't know about your guys but for me, 'gray' seems happier and hence less grey than 'grey'.

I hope that makes sense.

Actually, I could see the two splitting off to mean two different but similar things.

(edited)

I got sick of fumbling in essays and papers whenever I had to spell grey, so I decided to just spell it like the tea. It's an easy way for me to remember for consistency (plus, that's the proper spelling in Canada anyways)

Edited by Celtore

GREY all the way! I've always spelled it this way and it feels more natural. My word program always 'corrects' it for me to spell it 'gray' and I don't always feel like changing it back, but grey is really the only way to go in my opinion.  :D

I use mostly American English, as I am from the states, myself. However, I always use "Grey". I don't know why, and I don't remember if it's always been that way. XD

LOL, I am almost the exact same way!  :lol:  I sometimes will spell words like "centre" or "harbour" but mostly in a facetious effort to be linguistically artistic or something.  But for whatever reason, "grey" is my personal preferred spelling for that word. 

It's grey you uncultured swines.

Teddy Roosevelt may have politically positioned himself as the voice of the common man, but he was far from uncultured. ;)

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Hmm rat's color. (Just kidding, but that's what it is called in Japanese ;) )

I know there is a UK and US spelling difference, and being from the US, I guess it would be "gray" (I had to lookbun the topic to make sure). I guess gray. Grey however, is occasionally used by me too.

Confession, I actaually like using terms and spelling not native to the US dialect; mostly UK terms if I choose. I probably sound like an idiot.

Edited by Namae

The answer is obviously Gray post-30995-0-60944600-1469974550.png

Your answers have been catalogued. 

You will all be dealt with accordingly in due time.

post-30995-0-50402000-1469974477_thumb.jpg

Gray is supreme!

...except this guy. He's cool.

• Brohoof 2