Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Gray or Grey?

DubWolf

76 users have voted

1. 1. Which spelling?

• gray
    • grey

The colour grey should be spelt as such. And after looking at this, a lot of word/phrases are different between the UK and US instead of the 4 i knew before!

Mentally I think of it either way, but I write it as gray. The funny thing is that the only reason I still write it as gray is because I associate grey with Gandalf, so I always see it as Gandalf the Grey, not the color grey. I'm not even sure that's how it was spelled in the books, it's just what I associate. 

Gray.

I've always spelled it that way. Always will. Though "grey" is just as acceptable - I believe certain countries tend to spell it one way or another

Gray.

You know why?

Fifty Shades of G( r )ay.

The original movie name is written wrong, this is the real one! °^°

In that context, "Gray" would be incorrect. The "Grey" is for Christian Grey, the dude who did all the stuff.

In that context, "Gray" would be incorrect. The "Grey" is for Christian Grey, the dude who all the stuff.

post-29631-0-44004800-1470141445.png

<denial intensifies>

Yeah. Anyways, it's Gray for me. Dunno, probably because i learned it that way and i am used to it.

I dunno, Gray kinda sounds like it should be short for Gravy, and yet I honestly believe I use it more often then Grey. My spell check doesn't seem to care for either regardless. :P

• 2 years later...

I spell the word like this: grey

From what I’ve researched, it’s a matter of preference how you spell it. Something about people from England spelling it differently showed up as well. 

See, it mostly varies as to how English/British or American your family raised you...my mother was born in England, so she raised me to spell "gray" with an "a." I just can't shake the habit now.