Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Needing advice on purchasing merch in public...

FlutterDash99

I'm nervous, at my local video store there's mlp on dvd episodes/seasons I'm nervous to buy them and be embarrassed in front of the cashier at the register, before, I buying anime which I was nervous buying, but that's nothing compared to this. (I don't have a single bit of mlp merchandise, again, I'm new to mlp) 

(edited)

Hey, bro. Keep calm. Man buys what he wants and doesn't care what people think.

Snowflake_AKA_Steroids_Pony.png

If it's still too hard just imagine that you buy it for your li'l sister's birthday.

Edited by Crypty
  • Brohoof 8

You know what's your best blessing? Mention that's a gift for a younger relative, it's not like they can read your mind and know the truth anyway :dash:. IMAGINARY YOUNGER NIECES FOR THE WIN  :-P

• Brohoof 1

I'm nervous, at my local video store there's mlp on dvd episodes/seasons I'm nervous to buy them and be embarrassed in front of the cashier at the register, before, I buying anime which I was nervous buying, but that's nothing compared to this. (I don't have a single bit of mlp merchandise, again, I'm new to mlp) 

Don't be nervous. Clerks at video stores really don't care what you buy. For all you know, they have a huge pony collection in their house. More likely than not, they're just working to get paid, and somebody buying some pony episodes is the least of their concern. They might assume you're buying it for a younger relative. No need to explain or talk it out, as that might make you stand out more. If you just go, give them the payment method and depart, you will have spent less than there than reading the responses in this thread.

No biggie.

• Brohoof 5

You should never feel ashamed or nervous about any of your hobbies or interests man! Just take Pinkies advice and "Giggle at the Ghosties"  :pinkie:! Soon you'll have a plethora of MLP merchandise just like the rest of us :squee:.   

• Brohoof 1

Don't worry and just buy it. The guy at the cashier dosen't care what you buy, only the profit you bring.

You take the Blu-Ray/DVD, go to the cashier, pay for it, put it in a bag and you're out. :)

Just picture a giant like me in ripped jeans and a Metallica shirt paying for an armful of MLP DVDs. :P

I get that you can't just decide to not be nervous, but trust me: if it's not a big deal to you, it won't be a big deal to anyone else.

@@FlutterDash99

Hey there :)

Just wanted to let you know, that your topic has been moved over to the Merchandise section where you will get more specific answers, since your topic deals with merchandise :)

Ok, thanks for letting me know.

Don't worry and just buy it. The guy at the cashier dosen't care what you buy, only the profit you bring.

You take the Blu-Ray/DVD, go to the cashier, pay for it, put it in a bag and you're out. :)

I don't have a blu ray player, I either have to get something on DVD or VHS. But ok

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You shouldn't be nervous. I can understand why though, but you really shouldn't care what other people think. The cashier can't say anything wrong to you. He could say "Oh mlp is really bad." But just shrug it off if they do. I'm pretty sure they legally can't say. "You're stupid for liking MLP." Pretty sure you could go to the manager for that. And if they do say something, just don't care. Sure it may suck for a little while, but remember, other interring things happen to them. They'll forget shortly afterwards.

But her, at least buying a DVD isn't as bad as waiting five minutes while someone stuffs you Rainbow Dash Build-a-Bear. XD

Edited by SpectraDust
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

As some other posters have said, the clerk can't insult you for buying MLP merchandise. As long as the store is making money, the managers will be happy and the clerk will be doing their job right. But if you still feel too-self conscious, just say it's for a younger sister or look for the DVDs on an online retailer like Amazon. :)

Edited by Prospekt

@@FlutterDash99

Sorry for another edit, but I change the title of your topic to be more descriptive of your OP.

Thanks. :)

• Brohoof 1

Even after buying quite a bit of MLP merch before, I still have anxieties being seen buying the stuff by people out of a fear of ridicule like yourself. However over time, I've become better at buying MLP merch because I just don't care what people think anymore. Sure, I still worry about it and outside of my Brony meets and trips to comic book/pop culture stores this anxiety is inflamed big time, but I just have to stomach it and get on with it, mostly because there's no point in stopping myself from indulging in a pop-culture property that I love, I've already done it before and seen its negatives, so why compound my worry and stop myself? It's not the best thing.

Just go ahead and buy them. No one will judge you. If they do, then THEY are the ones in the wrong. I'd be surprised if someone in retail would decidedly act out against someone offering them service in buying ANYTHING. So I wouldn't worry.

• Brohoof 1

This isn't like walking into a theater to watch an MLP movie; Dad's have to buy stuff for their kids somewhere, yeah?

They won't assume you're buying it for yourself but for a relative.

PPFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, that ain't stopping me for watching the pony movie at the theater  :sneer:

• 4 years later...

When I first bought merch at a record store I was very nervous. Nowadays I don't feel as nervous as I used to. I notice that few people really care what you buy. If they react in a negative way remember that you probably won't see them again. In fact some of their reactions can be pretty hilarious and overdramatic! :mlp_icwudt: Just go buy merch!