Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Anthro Slice of Life Redux

Denim&Venöm

@@Unicorncob,

"Of course it would be your favorite. That's the fight that essentially ended in the war with the death of our king, where your country claimed victory and mine stepped down from being a world power. But you must admit, your side did have a little help from your brethren the Maneish, the forces of Saxonsteed-Ponland, and the Tsardom of Staliongrad. Soooo, maybe settle things one on one next time?"

"Hello, I'm being really random, I'm Quill and I'm jumping out my social shell."

Mindie looked down as another pony joined the discussion. "Another one? Wow. I've really lost my predatory intimidation."

"Oh? Well hello there miss Quill." She put a hand to her chest. "Mindie Fenris, first born to Mariata Fenris of Horsinki. This right here is Tyra Shatterhoof, thirdborn to Jarl Ralof Shatterhoof of Trotstheim. We're just discussing military history involving our ancestors fighting one another. "

• Brohoof 2

@@captainborgue@@Wolves,@@Denim&Venom,

The pupil sitting in front of him (Miko) intrigued Zeke enough for him to speak.

"Yo, nice board. But Baker's better."

He smiled a wolfish grin and brought out the Baker board hiding under his backpack. Flipping it around for her to see.

"Wanna go riding sometime? You seem pretty experienced."

@captainborgue

Blitz was surprised to say the least when Kimi spoke to him, though he didn't really show it."Considering the fact that you're already here, I don't see why not." He said, giving a light smile. If anything the dragon would indulge her curiosity. "As for my name, it's Blitz Ryu, but most just use my first name. It's a pleasure to meet you, Kimi.

"The pleasure is mine, Blitz," Kimi said, smiling. "So. What brings you to this particular school? Not to pry or anything, I'm mostly curious. The only other dragon I've ever met is the Bey, and she's... not really all that pleasant to talk to," Kimi said, sheepishly.

Kerrigan nodded. "Yes, that is an accurate example, very good Ocean. Now, I trust you all have a schema in your minds of what constitutes classical conditioning. While there are some ethical questions that arise when using conditioning methods on sentient beings, when used responsibly it can provide insight towards three of the five major tenets of Psychology," Kerrigan said, turning her back to the class and writing on the blackboard behind her.

"1. Describe –The first goal is to observe behavior and describe, often in minute detail, what was observed as objectively as possible.

2. Explain –While descriptions come from observable data, psychologists must go beyond what is obvious and explain their observations. In other words, why did the subject do what he or she did?

3. Predict –Once we know what happens, and why it happens, we can begin to speculate what will happen in the future. There’s an old saying, which very often holds true: “the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.” This is the part that involves a great deal of math, by the way.

4. Control –Once we know what happens, why it happens and what is likely to happen in the future, we can excerpt control over it. In other words, if we know you choose abusive partners because your father was abusive, we can assume you will choose another abusive partner, and can therefore intervene to change this negative behavior.

5. Improve –Not only do psychologists attempt to control behavior, they want to do so in a positive manner, they want to improve a person’s life, not make it worse. This is not always the case, but it should always be the intention.

Now, the methods of conditioning can assist in these three- explain, predict, and control. Now, there is a great deal of power in this field. You will learn the tools and skills that will dramatically alter the lives of whomever you use them on, often without even realizing it. That is the danger inherent in studying Psychology- when you understand how memory and thought and emotion and behavior tie together, you recognize the faults in yourselves and those around you that have shaped you in the past. Or, to use the common parlance- you all have baggage. And your challenge is to keep yourself from inadvertently giving your clients the same baggage you have," Kerrigan said, turning back around to face the class.

"I have provided a link on the portal page to all the required reading for this course. On the main page, select your course section- this one is 113- and there will be links under each date for the readings. As this is the first class session, I have not assigned a reading- but I want you all to think about what made you decide to take this course for discussion next time. We will be finishing up a bit early today, consider it a gift. Additionally, I want to inform everyone that the university provides counseling services to all students, and those of you in my class will have someone else as counselor to prevent biases. Feel free to email me any questions you have, or save them for next session. Dismissed."

Edited by captainborgue
  • Brohoof 1

@captainborgue, @Wolves,

"Oh yeah I've heard of them. Decent brand. But I got this one more so cause the band on it are also a bunch of old school skate punks like myself. And presumably you too. And yeah, I wouldn't mind it."

She heard Kerrigan finish her lecture early. "Looks like I can use this class to improve upon my powers of persuasion." 

"Of course it would be your favorite. That's the fight that essentially ended in the war with the death of our king, where your country claimed victory and mine stepped down from being a world power. But you must admit, your side did have a little help from your brethren the Maneish, the forces of Saxonsteed-Ponland, and the Tsardom of Staliongrad. Soooo, maybe settle things one on one next time?"

Tyra blinked, and a panicked frown came over her face. "N-no, no! You misunderstand! It was but an exciting tale of skill and valour from both our sides! I meant no offense!" She yelped, flailing her hands around worriedly.

She spoted an odd pair and walked over. "Hello, I'm being really random, I'm Quill and I'm jumping out my social shell."

Mindie looked down as another pony joined the discussion. "Another one? Wow. I've really lost my predatory intimidation."

"Oh? Well hello there miss Quill." She put a hand to her chest. "Mindie Fenris, first born to Mariata Fenris of Horsinki. This right here is Tyra Shatterhoof, thirdborn to Jarl Ralof Shatterhoof of Trotstheim. We're just discussing military history involving our ancestors fighting one another. "

She looked at the new mare, and assuming Mindie had taken no offense, breathed a sigh of relief and put her right fist over her heart. "Aye, I am! Well met, Quill!"

• Brohoof 1

@@Denim&Venom@@Unicorncob

"Well met, Mindie and Tyra." She said with a smile. "I'm afraid I don't really do any of that I suppose I'm first born of my mom and dad? I come from Trottingham. I believe you two are from much futher north than that yes?"

She paused to think. "As for the fighting, my family when they have served were always in the navy."

• Brohoof 1

Tyra blinked, and a panicked frown came over her face. "N-no, no! You misunderstand! It was but an exciting tale of skill and valour from both our sides! I meant no offense!" She yelped, flailing her hands around worriedly.

She looked at the new mare, and assuming Mindie had taken no offense, breathed a sigh of relief and put her right fist over her heart. "Aye, I am! Well met, Quill!"

"Oh I'm not offended. Just letting you know that my country almost won against 3 to 1 odds. But I'm glad we both recognize valor, even amidst the heat of conflict from opposing sides. Still though, shame we never got to see that unified Scandaneighvian empire." 

"Well met, Mindie and Tyra." She said with a smile. "I'm afraid I don't really do any of that I suppose I'm first born of my mom and dad? I come from Trottingham. I believe you two are from much futher north than that yes?"

She paused to think. "As for the fighting, my family when they have served were always in the navy."

"I thought as much with the accent. Yes, as mentioned I'm from Horsinki, capital of the Suomen Tasavalta. And it's nice to see your kin have history on the field of battle. If I recall, your country was also involved in our little war." She signaled of both her and Tyra

• Brohoof 2

"Oh I'm not offended. Just letting you know that my country almost won against 3 to 1 odds. But I'm glad we both recognize valor, even amidst the heat of conflict from opposing sides. Still though, shame we never got to see that unified Scandaneighvian empire." 

"Aye, a shame indeed," Tyra agreed, with a nod, "though, please understand that my people do not want any bad blood with yours. We have great respect for our Scandaneighvian brothers!"

"I thought as much with the accent. Yes, as mentioned I'm from Horsinki, capital of the Suomen Tasavalta. And it's nice to see your kin have history on the field of battle. If I recall, your country was also involved in our little war." She signaled of both her and Tyra

"Ah, my papa once took me to Trottingham!" She beamed, grinning ear to ear. "It is so beautiful, and the weather much reminds me of home near the winter! And I am from Trotstheim, on the Frozen Sea!"

• Brohoof 1

"I believe I know of Trotstheim but I've never been however. Trottingham is ok to visit, but living there." She tilted one of her hands. "Not being on the mainland is a bit of a pain in the flank honestly."

Looking to Mindie, she shook her head. "I study history, but not anything to do with conflict I'd have no idea about what Trottingham's history would be in regards to wars."

Zeke shut down his laptop and stuck in his headphones on one side and played some of his music.

It was really weird being surrounded by different species, most of which being ponies. In the upcoming year, he hoped he didn't scare any of those around him. Predator in prey, he couldn't help their feelings anyway, he rolled slowly out of the door on his skateboard, his bag on his back and empty coffee cup in hand, he was deep in thought.

Edited by Kankuro

"Aye, a shame indeed," Tyra agreed, with a nod, "though, please understand that my people do not want any bad blood with yours. We have great respect for our Scandaneighvian brothers!"

"Ah, my papa once took me to Trottingham!" She beamed, grinning ear to ear. "It is so beautiful, and the weather much reminds me of home near the winter! And I am from Trotstheim, on the Frozen Sea!"

"Oh I understand. We're all at peace now. We have bigger issues to face than our fellow Norse mares." 

"I believe I know of Trotstheim but I've never been however. Trottingham is ok to visit, but living there." She tilted one of her hands. "Not being on the mainland is a bit of a pain in the flank honestly."

Looking to Mindie, she shook her head. "I study history, but not anything to do with conflict I'd have no idea about what Trottingham's history would be in regards to wars."

"Never been to Trotstheim or Trottingham. As far as the latter's history in war, I can probably tell you. Military history is a hobby of mine. In regards to the Greta Northern war, you guys actually played both sides. You were on her side for two years, then switched to mine for one. Suprised you don't know much else about Trottignham's military history. Has quite a bit. 116 years war with Prance. The war of Sponyish Succession. War of the Quadruple Alliance. The war of Austeedian Succession. 7 years war. The 2nd & 3rd Carnatic wars. The Revolutionary war. Of course, that's just the involvement of the Grittish isles which Trottingham is a part of." 

• Brohoof 1

Scarlet watched other students as she walked through the markets around Luna U. Most of her classes were later in the day, so she had s good bit of free time. The problem was that she didn't really have a set major. She knew she wanted a degree that could lead to s good job, but she also wanted to do something involving something she enjoyed.

Nero sighed as he worked on one of his many pet projects within the engineering lab at the university. Ideas came and went as to how to improve his work, and he was always excited to see what he could make. "The ai system is probably going to be finished by the end of the week, assuming I can do that in the dorm. I wonder what I'll call it, though." He thought to himself.

Nova puzzled for a moment, before deciding to move along. Clearly, she was off her game today. Oh, well. There was a group of students nearby chatting away, mentioning exotic sounding places and events that Nova didn't recognize. It was such an interesting environment at this school. Still, Nova was feeling particularly off today. She'd already been ignored by everyone she had tried to be friendly to.

Nova found herself wandering about the quad aimlessly for a bit, before she gave it all up as a wash and headed to the Deja Brew. A cup of strong coffee would help chase away the blues, it usually did. "A caramel mocha super thunder biggun' or whatever the biggest size is," Nova said, waving to the guy behind the counter. "Ever have one of those days where it feels like you're just... taking up space?" Nova asked. The barista just shrugged, and set her drink on the counter. Nova sighed, swiped her meal plan card, grabbed her coffee, and sat down at a table with a view of the doorway.

"At least I didn't set anything on fire," she chuckled to herself.

@captainborgue

Blitz nodded slightly as he thought about what to order. "I heard the school had a good science department, so it wasn't that difficult of a choice. What about you?" He asked, somewhat curious.

After a few minutes, Apep began to wander around for a bit. The weather was nice and she always liked spending time outside.

@@captainborgue

Zeke moved slowly around the halls of the campus, desperate to find a coffee shop since his last sugar high had run out. 

There it was, the holy grail of Luna University, a coffee shop by the name of Deja Brew.

As he entered, he noticed a "DIY" coffee pot for home made or custom brews, and he dashed to his room.

After finding the shop once more, he pulled out a pack of "Death Wish coffee" and made his own cup.

He looked around the room, hoping to socialize. He spotted a unicorn (Nova) sitting at a table and wanted to experiment with the sight of a wolf on the grounds around a "prey" type animal.

"Is this seat taken?" He said while grinning.. 

Kimi shrugged. "Not sure, really. Had to go somewhere, and this school has a certain reputation for being more open to unusual types of students. I like that I don't get a lot of stares here," Kimi said, smiling. "It's almost like just being one of the 'normal' ones. Not that I mind being different, it's just... I dunno, taxing, I guess."

"Not at all," Nova said, smiling. "Fair warning though, I may or may not accidentally light something on a lot of fire. It's been known to happen. I guess that's why my folks named me Super Nova. Which is my awkward way of introducing myself, I guess. Huh. So, er, who might you be?" Nova said, haltingly. Part of her was a little put-off by the wolf in front of her. Wolves had BIG POINTY TEETH after all.

But aside from that, he also had a nice smile, and had asked to sit down instead of just taking the chair or something. There was no need to be rude to him. And whatever he had smelled amazing, to boot. "That's either impressively strong, or some kind of radioactive acid explosive. I'm not awkward at all, obviously."

Kimi shrugged. "Not sure, really. Had to go somewhere, and this school has a certain reputation for being more open to unusual types of students. I like that I don't get a lot of stares here," Kimi said, smiling. "It's almost like just being one of the 'normal' ones. Not that I mind being different, it's just... I dunno, taxing, I guess."

"Not at all," Nova said, smiling. "Fair warning though, I may or may not accidentally light something on a lot of fire. It's been known to happen. I guess that's why my folks named me Super Nova. Which is my awkward way of introducing myself, I guess. Huh. So, er, who might you be?" Nova said, haltingly. Part of her was a little put-off by the wolf in front of her. Wolves had BIG POINTY TEETH after all.

But aside from that, he also had a nice smile, and had asked to sit down instead of just taking the chair or something. There was no need to be rude to him. And whatever he had smelled amazing, to boot. "That's either impressively strong, or some kind of radioactive acid explosive. I'm not awkward at all, obviously."

Zeke chuckled over the last thing Nova had said.

"Zeke Reed, it's a pleasure."

He was delighted at the fact that the pony had not taken a hostile approach to his species.

"This?" He said, raising his mug. "This is Death Wish. It's the strongest coffee you'll find around the globe, I get a bunch shipped in every week. It's delicious and is the only reason I can get up in the morning. Since I'm a bit overstocked, I'd be happy to give this bag to you free of charge, just so you can try it out, take it or leave it, doesn't matter." He said as he placed the black bag on the table.

"2 questions, if you don't mind. You say you miraculously light things on fire.. How exactly? And two, what are you majoring in here?"

He grinned, hoping he hadn't come off as too awkward.

• Brohoof 1

@Denim&Venom

Quill looked a little bewildered at all the names of the various conflicts, she'd heard of a few, knew a little bit about a few more but otherwise it was as if Mindie was speaking another language in the most part. "Ur that is interesting..." She was not very convincing. "As I said I'm not so good on military history so much."

Mindie shrugged. "Sorry. Sometimes I do go off on tangents. It's a hobby of mine. History of warfare, not going off not tangents. Well what do you study, Miss Quill? I guess you can be included in the conversation too Tyra. What are you thinking of majoring in?" 

Tyra raised an eyebrow, not sure what Mindie was implying by saying she 'could be included too'.

Nevertheless, she was excited for her time in college, and she beamed as she prepared to explain.

"Creative Writing!" She chirped, grinning ear to ear. "I wish to learn how to write amazing tales of great battles with fearsome armies and monsters, for when I embark on a journey when I leave here!"

• Brohoof 1

Zeke chuckled over the last thing Nova had said.

"Zeke Reed, it's a pleasure."

He was delighted at the fact that the pony had not taken a hostile approach to his species.

"This?" He said, raising his mug. "This is Death Wish. It's the strongest coffee you'll find around the globe, I get a bunch shipped in every week. It's delicious and is the only reason I can get up in the morning. Since I'm a bit overstocked, I'd be happy to give this bag to you free of charge, just so you can try it out, take it or leave it, doesn't matter." He said as he placed the black bag on the table.

"2 questions, if you don't mind. You say you miraculously light things on fire.. How exactly? And two, what are you majoring in here?"

He grinned, hoping he hadn't come off as too awkward.

Nova's ears perked up at the description. "So it's coffee, is it? I like strong coffee. All right, I'll try it," Nova said, taking a tentative sniff of the bag. It smelled wonderful, and made her nose tingly in a good sort of way. "Ok, so... how much do you know about chemistry? See, because my mom is like... a freaking prodigy. Like, her magic can, literally, take stuff apart at the molecular level and put it back together. So long as it isn't organic or radioactive, that is, since that kind of stuff that is constantly changing. And to DO that takes breaking atomic bonds- which releases energy- and recreating them, which costs energy," Nova said.

"I've tried controlling my magic with that level of precision, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I can only break bonds, which releases energy- and usually that manifests as lighting things on fire. Though I mean technically, it's not actually fire per se. As far as majors go, I've been hoping to find something that I can actually use the magic I have. I'm good at blowing stuff up, and I've gotten better at doing it only on purpose. So I'm majoring in Chemical Engineering, with the goal of going into demolitions or pyrotechnics as a career field," Nova added, with a well rehearsed tone. She'd given a similar speech to her parents on numerous occasions.

"All right, turnabout is fair play. What's your story?"

Edited by captainborgue

@@captainborgue

"Well, my story is nowhere near your level of interesting, but I major in Psychology. As a cub, my father suffered depression and from that point on I made it my duty to help people in the same situation as him. Luckily, he got help quickly and was willing to co-operate. I don't like to think about what could of happened if he didn't."

He sipped on his coffee happily.

"Do you have any hobbies or past times?"

@@captainborgue

"Well, my story is nowhere near your level of interesting, but I major in Psychology. As a cub, my father suffered depression and from that point on I made it my duty to help people in the same situation as him. Luckily, he got help quickly and was willing to co-operate. I don't like to think about what could of happened if he didn't."

He sipped on his coffee happily.

"Do you have any hobbies or past times?"

"That's cool, though! I mean, the whole 'helping people' angle is neat and all. Altruism for the win and everything. But the having a family connection to it is neat," Nova said, smiling. "Not big on the head sciences myself. That's ok though, to each their own," Nova said, smiling. "I'm mostly into awesome things, like 'sitting on the floor reading a book' or 'eating peanut butter straight out of the jar with a spoon', that sort of thing. It's a non-stop thrill ride, but I get by ok," Nova said trying hard to keep a straight face.

@@captainborgue

"Hm, I should try that stuff sometimes, sounds scary though."

He picked up his skateboard.

"This is my past time in a nut shell." He placed it under the table, instinctively putting his paws on it to rest.

He took a few sips of his coffee, letting the warm liquid fill his throat.

(OOC: This conversation can go on for however long you like, I'm good with anything,)