Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(Poll) Would You Drink A Bottle of Water In The Desert?

SolyWack

Would you drink a bottle of water in the desert?  

63 users have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Death is a mercy at this point.
    • I will survive 'till my last breath.

Just imagine this scenario. You're stuck out in a desert, you have no idea how many miles in either direction the desert goes, not even a rough estimate in miles (or kilometers for you plebs). You more or less have vultures circling you right now. You haven't eaten or drinken (drunk? drank? Idk) anything for 5 days. Verge of death.

Suddenly, a bottle of water appears out of no where. Not a mirage, completely 100% legit bottle of water. Filled to the brim, average-sized bottled water (I don't know exact measurements, you know what bottled water looks like).

With no more items except the clothes on your back, would you drink that bottle of water, and try to make it back to civilization (or at least get out of the desert), or is the risk of simply prolonging your miserable existence not worth the chances of getting out?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Aside from the painful feeling of starving to death along with intense thirst, nah. Miserable existence and all. I don't think it'd be worth all the trouble only to get back to society after all that suffering, assuming I can even do that.

:blink:

Edited by Dry Ink

In all fairness, I'd probably neck the whole bottle given my state of thirst and just keep going until I go no more. Would prefer to save it and only drink a little, but after being in the desert for days, my logic would've already been eaten away, so it makes sense.

I'd chug it. If I was in the middle of the desert dying of thirst, I highly doubt my logic would be all together there to take it slow. Plus, I highly doubt 500 millilitres would be enough to save me from dehydration.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I'm sorry but dude have you ever worked hard in the desert in the middle of nowhere? you start drinking any kind of liquid you see... 

I'd chug it. If I was in the middle of the desert dying of thirst, I highly doubt my logic would be all together there to take it slow. Plus, I highly doubt 500 millilitres would be enough to save me from dehydration.

chugging it will do nothing as hard as it is (and trust me its hard) you have to take sips every 15 minutes or your body wont absorb it 

if you chug it then it just sits in your belly and your body wont absorb it fast enough and about 90% will get peed out 

Edited by idunnomaybe
  • Brohoof 2

Might as well get that extra time. It could mean rescue. It would be funny if the search party found you dead and they were 5 minutes away. But you would have survived if you had drunk it. This is a variation on the Bum's Dilema.

If you are vegetarian, would you eat an animal to survive?

• Brohoof 1

My will to survive is strong, so I'll add that I would drink the water even in a situation where I knew with certainty I would perish anyway.

• Brohoof 2

Color me surprised at the response, I expected a lot of survival answers, but not almost all of them.

I, myself, would not drink the water. Although I think I'm a bit of a special snowflake (in the desert, lol). I got "Logician" on that 16 personalities website, which pretty much means "pragmatic". So by my logic, the chances of me surviving are so low that it wouldn't outweigh the risk of another 5 days of agony.

Just imagine: stomach growling, all-body sunburn, aching everything, nasty hair, sand everywhere, constantly itchy, extra dry throat, cuts everywhere from the dryness, my feet would pretty much be seared off at this point, and sand in ever pore and all over my clothes (which I might not have a lot of at this point).

I respect all you survivors, because no thank you. 

I would drink the water. I think it's better to try to survive than to give up completely. That water would at least make my odds of survival a little less daunting.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I would...The fact that there is a bottled water nearby....especially one above the sands and not covered by it, would mean that Civilization is close by.....I would check for the bottle's expiration date and search for signs of other objects (If the caravan that left the bottle was careless enough to throw a perfectly good bottle of water then It would be fairly likely to assume that they may have thrown other things as well....perhaps enough things to maybe even hint at a path) I'd also take into account the direction in which the bottle was positioned, hoping perhaps that it's angle would assist me in locating the correct direction that leads to civilization.

Now granted, I am unsure whether my nutrient-deprived state would prevent me from doing said actions, but I think that in such mind sets my brain would be more likely to "want" to survive. Additionally, due to the traditions of my country...I actually experience starvation for a few days a year following the anniversary of the death of christ.....and In those times , I was actually easily able to maintain coherent thought...so I think 5 days wouldn't be too much of a stretch to still allow me the mental capacity to think through my actions.

Edited by Crescent Light

You would be long dead after 5 days without water.  3 days is the max before you die from thirst.  Even with a bottle of water you would die in an extra few hours if you are on the verge of death.

I would totally drink it:

if I don't drink it, I diminish my chances plus I'll look at that bottle being thirsty and dying

whereas if I drink it, I'm not thirsty anymore, for a few hours and I have more chances to get away from that situation...

Me, wonder the desert? Don't be silly, to much sun, to much sand, to much stupid for me to even think of doing. The beach is far enough and even that is somewhere I'd rather not be, but hypotheticly. I'd grab that water like there's no tomorrow and drink...or being of sound mind try and rasion it provided it doesn't dry up in the course of my trek

I do it all the time, I live in a desert. Now if I was stranded in no man's land I'd still do it, but if I was to surivive I can't drink the thing as much, I'd have to be pretty sparing with my water supply.