Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(Poll) Would You Drink A Bottle of Water In The Desert?

SolyWack

Would you drink a bottle of water in the desert?  

63 users have voted

1. 1. Yes or No?

• Death is a mercy at this point.
    • I will survive 'till my last breath.

Just imagine this scenario. You're stuck out in a desert, you have no idea how many miles in either direction the desert goes, not even a rough estimate in miles (or kilometers for you plebs). You more or less have vultures circling you right now. You haven't eaten or drinken (drunk? drank? Idk) anything for 5 days. Verge of death.

Suddenly, a bottle of water appears out of no where. Not a mirage, completely 100% legit bottle of water. Filled to the brim, average-sized bottled water (I don't know exact measurements, you know what bottled water looks like).

With no more items except the clothes on your back, would you drink that bottle of water, and try to make it back to civilization (or at least get out of the desert), or is the risk of simply prolonging your miserable existence not worth the chances of getting out?

Ummm at 5 days without water sounds really bad. I heard that just 3 days of dehydration can start giving you all kinds of problems, some ascetics can live up to a week to 8 days without water but that requires some intense training before starting dehydration. Since I'm in a desert I would get dehydrated faster which isn't good at all.

I would drink a bit of it only enough trying to conserve it as much as possible. And I would collect my own urine in that bottle to drink again.

EDIT: Sorry for the TMI. My survival instincts just kicked in.

Edited by cider float

I'd take the water for sure. Take one big gulp, since the scenario is that I haven't drank anything in a large amount of hours, then ration it to a sip every here and now. I've learned a valuable lesson about hydration from MMA trainers, that to keep properly hydrated, is that you only take sips. If you drink it all up now, it's wasted. That one bottle of water could just delay the inevitable, but it could be my salvation. And that is enough for me to take the chance.

Also, if that bottle of water was still full and not evaporated by the heat of the dessert, then it's a sign that either another person is near or civilization is near. It could also mean it was left by someone on a vehicle, which means it could be a common trail for someone. So, I also have the option to stay there, in case that vehicle returns. Lol, but I think I'm reading farther into it than I should.

I would drink it in tiny doses but my chance of survival, despite all I know from watching shows like, I Shouldn't Be Alive, would be low. If I was stupid enough to wander into a desert when I hate the heat, I kind of deserve to die.

I'd use the water sparingly to make it last as long as possible. You never know when rescue is just around the corner, so hang on as long as possible and increase your chances. It's a responsibility to stay alive for as long as possible, not only for one's self, but for one's family and all the other lives touched by our own.

But I wouldn't travel by day if I was out in the desert. At night you can preserve your water supply and avoid the extremes of the daytime heat.    

• Brohoof 1

I'd drink it, no question - and fun fact, trying to conserve it is actually counter-intuitive to survival. Your body needs that water when it needs it - people have been found dead in deserts, died of dehydration, with water still on them because of trying to conserve it. In this case, if you've made it 5 days, you will be so dehydrated that drinking it all then and there (perhaps not in one big go, but over the course of half an hour at the most) will easily be your best chance of survival.

So I would drink it, and then prey that whichever direction I'd chosen to walk in was the quickest at finding civilisation/help.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I've been in two deserts. Small sips every now and then can go a long way. That one single bottle could give you the advantage you need to make it out of the desert. It won't stop the suffering throughout the journey though. :P

• Brohoof 2

Not only would I drink it I would likely end up worshipping the bottle long after it's use. I mean, delusion is a thing I am sure...:nom:

• Brohoof 2

I'm sure  I would have to drink water in order to survive in the desert. 

14 minutes ago, Ashen Pathfinder said:

Not only would I drink it I would likely end up worshipping the bottle long after it's use. I mean, delusion is a thing I am sure...:nom:

"Should I tell Path that "Bambi's mother" he's been talking to for the past four hours is a sand dune?"

image.gif.725f0ff732a4b17a5ba23921ce9ccdb1.gif JK. :P