• Um, how about, no! -_-
    • Eh, not really.
    • That was TOTAL meh.
    • It was 'aight!
    • THAT WAS SO SUPER AWESOME COOL!

(edited)

BODY PILLOWS woooooooooo \ o /

sig-4618539.UxjXNim.jpg

It was funny that Rainbow was squicked by the tied up DD body pillow, but Quibble had a big grin on his face when she pointed it out! Naughty Quibble Pants... Maybe they should call you Dribble Pants instead?   :lol:

So if kinky body pillows are canon I guess that means the show is confirming in-universe characters clop too?   :lie:

I love the expression on her face.  

Has this kind of innuendo been seen on the show before?

Edited by Shawn Parks

It seems I was not able to vote on that poll, for whatever reason, but oh well, I suppose. I loved this episode. It was a good episode to start with after the mid-season hiatus. Patton Oswalt played his part as Quibble Pants amazingly. His continued disbelief had me giggling, then his thing with the end credits made me laugh. And I've been waiting for more Rainbow Dash. She hasn't gotten a whole lot of light in this season, except for a few cameos here and there and Newbie Dash. They needed to step away from Rarity a bit, which I'm glad they did here. 

my gosh, I think I've just found my new favourite episode. if you've ever been on a convention or if you've ever had an argument with another fan about a certain franchise *coughcoughStarWarscoughcough*, you will get a sense of deja-vu once RD starts to argue with Quibble about the books. I felt like it was a huge reference to Star Wars-fans: those who like the prequels, and those who don't. both sides have their points, but at the end, it comes down to your personal taste. of course.

I really loved the scene where Rainbow first entered the Daring Do-convention. the widened eyes, the gasping, it was perfect! they managed to recreate the atmosphere that I remember feeling during my first anime-convention (also: Body Pillows.). it just got better once Quibble appeared. they both play off one another so well, I can't find ANY fault with that. RD is at her best, and Quibble is just enjoyable throughout the whole freaking episode. It's. simply. perfect. (it's funny how I can hardly find anything to say when there's nothing to complain about).

two more things: first, Rainbow had the greatest expression to ever exist in this episode.

sig-4618969.8n7tengc.png

hands down, kids. the greatest face in all of MLP has been found. we can rest now.

Second of all:

sig-4618969.1206886__safe_rainbow%20dash

shipping! SO MUCH SHIPPING! I could sense a great disturbance in the force throughout the whole episode. as if millions of authors suddenly started typing aggressively! 'dis gonna be awesome.

actually in the live stream they where aggressively typing "I SHIP THIS" i of corse... do not -_- its a terrible ship imo

• Brohoof 1

actually in the live stream they where aggressively typing "I SHIP THIS" i of corse... do not -_- its a terrible ship imo

I'm not one who involves myself with shipping content, but yes, I can't see that. Nope. If I were to ship anyone with Rainbow Dash, it's obviously Soarin. I see no one else capable of the position.

• Brohoof 1

I'm not one who involves myself with shipping content, but yes, I can't see that. Nope. If I were to ship anyone with Rainbow Dash, it's obviously Soarin. I see no one else capable of the position.

if its cannon that well tough i guess ill accept it sooner or later but 2 characters sharing one moment together thus leading to the mass shipping that happens DX come on guys its taken wwwaaayyyyy to far

• Brohoof 3

if its cannon that well tough i guess ill accept it sooner or later but 2 characters sharing one moment together thus leading to the mass shipping that happens DX come on guys its taken wwwaaayyyyy to far

Lol, I completely agree. One moment isn't enough. Like all those who immediately shipped Big Mac with Marble. Can't do that, since there's only that one episode with very short moments between them. But, this is why I don't involve myself in any shipping content. Cause, all that.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, we had a episode with Daring Do in it, which made me very happy since I've been hoping she'll come back ever since season 4. :D Even though she actually wasn't in this one very much. :/ XD

Anyway, onto my thoughts: I honestly thought I'd like this episode more than I did. It was good overall, but I thought it could have been a lot better. My main issue was Quibble Pants. I just found him EXTREMELY irritating; to me it didn't seem like he ever stopped talking, and it got too annoying for me, because it seemed like the focus was always on him and his complaining, and not enough on Daring or Rainbow. I like the fact the writers have addressed the idea of fans being disappointed/critical over a series they used to love, since we've seen a lot of that in our own fandoms. But for me personally, the way Quibble was written didn't make it work. He struck me as a bit of a Gary-Stu of sorts, especially when he seemed to know more about puzzle-solving than Daring Do herself, for some reason. *shrug*

But, yeah, I definitely enjoyed the episode apart from that. I was so pleased to have Daring Do appear again, and Rainbow Dash was pretty much adorable throughout. I could also relate to the fact everything was based around fans, conventions etc. because all that stuff is right up my street. ;)

I'd give this episode 6.5/10. 

Edited by The Crystal Maiden

Loved this episode so hard! Just great and really captured quite a bit of the con culture, the body pillows were hilarious and I actually asked myself aloud when watching it "did they just show a body pillow?!". Season 6 has been really quite good so far I feel with a few top quality stand out episodes on a similar par to this one. And it was great to see Dash get another potential ship (that's 2 this season!). I definitely ship her with Quibble now, makes total sense to me. They hang out as friends, spend lots of time together then maybe one evening when they're somewhere alone together they get a bit wrapped up in talking about awesome things and how awesome they each are and then a bit of magic happens  :wub:  Actually thought it was possible for a moment at the end when they both did speak about how they felt the other was kinda awesome. Perfect thing to all of this and episode in general though, was the casting of Patton Oswalt, totally perfect casting!

This episode is "awesome" with Rainbow Dash and Daring Do! :D Quibble Pants, I think he's fair for Rainbow Dash and narrating the episode credits by the way. And at last Daring Do found the treasure in the temple that was going to be put in the museum, and finally escaped the temple of doom.

Yeah. I watched the episode last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. It shows how two different opinions of fanfiction can result in argument and yet in the end despite differences of opinion, they both end up helping Daring Do solve the puzzle, though a slight nitpick, I do agree that Quibblepants is a bit too argumentive and not accepting of Dash's opinion or responses, but on the other hand he's impressed enough to her cool and awesome. Here's the star rating from me. ****.

I do have one random question about an obvious reference to a season five episode, in this episode. What exactly was one of Fluttershy's anime characters doing at the convention?

I think all of them were there, possibly a nod to otaku-/fandom at conventions in general

This ep was highly enjoyable. What got to me the most was RD not only wants to defend her idol because she thinks (or knows) she is cool, but also she just wants nobody talking bad about her FRIEND

The episode was enjoyable. Quibble Pants was a tad bit too much of a skeptic though and I wasn't too fond of the kidnappers, but those are really my only nitpicks I have and Quibble Pants managed to come around and accept the "unrealistic action sequences" in the end anyways so the episode was still pretty great :)

Could you explain it a bit more thoroughly? Because i didn't see that at all.

Quibble Pants = fandom after Twilicorn. This episode is so meta it's not even funny.

It's damage control and nothing more. Didn't care for this one at all.

• Brohoof 1

Quibble Pants = fandom after Twilicorn. This episode is so meta it's not even funny.

Quibble Pants = Any very critical fan of anything that has a tough time accepting others opinions. Seriously, replace the original Daring Do trilogy with the original Sonic trilogy and I'd swear I'd have met this guy in real life.

I don't really see how it's damage control anyway? The end of the episode, Quibble still doesn't like the new books. He just accepts that Rainbow does, and that it's okay for the two of them to have different opinions, that they can still be friends despite that. Which, based off some of her behavior earlier is something Dash needed to learn too. Seems like a fine message to me.

• Brohoof 6

How delightfully cynical.

Keep in mind, though, that this kind of thing is found in every fandom, and really every community. At its most general, this is a story about tribalism, and its antagonistic relationship with peaceful coexistence. Humans (and evidently ponies) have this evolved tendency to form antagonistic relationships with each other based on petty differences, and it stops being about who's right, and starts being about who wins. It's true this episode is timed late enough in MLP's lifespan that this phenomenon has reared its ugly head in Bronidom, but that doesn't make the episode a knee-jerk reaction to that specifically. The writers have indubitably dealt with this many times before, so the inspiration for this likely comes from multiple sources.

If anything, AK Yearling is the mouthpiece for the show staff. As she says, "I don't have time to worry about dissatisfied fan-ponies." Anxiety over fandom drama is much more important to the fans than it is to the content creators. Once you realize that the writers really don't care if you liked it or not, you can focus on the actual point of the episode: don't let the fact that you didn't like it be the basis of some pointless extended altercation with people whom you usually include among your friends.

• Brohoof 10

The point of this episode is already happening in this thread. Jus sayin. I thought it was a fantastic episode and one that will be more memorable than others for because of how well it was laid out. Even though it reminds me of Big Bang Theory a little bit, that's fine cuz its pretty much what I like about that show too. I've found myself falling of both sides of the fence about many different popular culture aspects before, like with Legend of Zelda, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the Superman and Batman movies, Star Trek and Star Wars, and yes, My Little Pony, among many many others. I think the hallmark of any great show, experience, etc is that it makes a person think about it more, develop an actual opinion about it thats worth arguing, and has the ability to withstand the test of time to continue to shape it's viewers' ideas about it. Basically, you can't please everybody all the time, but you can make people think and feel whether their opinions end up being good or bad. A worthy experience causes people to use their brain and feelings and I think that's most important.

• Brohoof 2

I love the expression on her face.  

Has this kind of innuendo been seen on the show before?

Of course. AJ wiping her muzzle is probably the most infamous of suggestive material buried in the show:

545758__safe_solo_applejack_animated_scr

shipping! SO MUCH SHIPPING! I could sense a great disturbance in the force throughout the whole episode. as if millions of authors suddenly started typing aggressively! 'dis gonna be awesome.

That image of a starry-eyed Dash gave me the same impression, too. Though by the end of the episode I'm not sure she feels like he's her OTP; more like they're better off as "friends with benefits." I have imagine with their attention to detail the RPs are going to be epic. =)

• Brohoof 1

No, that's just not true.

This episode is supposed to teach people, to respect everybodys opinions, be it positive or negative. You base your assumption of "damage control" from nothing.

• Brohoof 6

Quibble might be my favorite guest character in the show. This episode was absolutely hilarious, and definitely knows what it's talking about. I've been a Star Wars fan since I was a baby, and controversially, I actually like Phantom Menace. I have had this very same argument on that subject that Rainbow Dash had with Quibble.

I loved Patton Oswalt's performance, the dialogue, and all the little quips and touches that really make this a great parody not only of Indiana Jones, but fan arguments in general. I think it's my new favorite episode.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

I loved the episode. I like how Rainbow made friends with Quibble. Is there some hint of a deeper interest for our awesome friend? They looked like they were having lots of fun together before the literary argument started. I also liked how they slipped something into the canon, as well.

Rainbow does not approve of snuggle pillows with characters in shall we say, awkward situations.

post-375-0-92653600-1469982619_thumb.jpg

Oh, and what about THIS expression? Daring Do looks a little put off by it.

^_^ .

post-375-0-83078900-1469982712_thumb.jpg

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

I have no issue with Twilight as an Alicorn. In fact during this time period there were a lot of defenders of it going based on the episode thread and the seemingly endless threads created. Just mentioning that because saying 'the fandom' with qualifying it may confuse others. It was not a universal opinion.

The meta humor could be easily ignored. Like Star Wars, then you could see this as an OT vs PT debate. Like Transformers ... Gen 1 vs Beast Wars. Harry Potter? James Bond? BSG? Doctor Who? Star Trek? Take your pick. It works is a general moral about how people assign weight differently to attributes of things they love in fiction.

• Brohoof 3