Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spike, Prince(cess) of Friendship?

Cwanky

Lately, Spike has received notable growth as a character in season 6. But its not just growth we're seeing, let alone positive growth. Spike has actively been interacting with other characters, especially new ones and befriending them. In the pilot, he helps guide Starlight to reconcile with Sunburst and renew an old friendship that since faded.

In Gauntlet of Fire. he not only befriends Princess Ember, he manages to help her win and thus establish good terms with the Dragon Kingdom.

Even Ember realizes how valuable friendship can be with its many possible benefits... :crackle:

Even before Season 6 its not hard to see the significance of Spike and friendship. He stands up for his friends, and equally so, he's a lone dragon living in a pony world and neither he nor the ponies fully understand each other. He has strong ties to Rarity, romantically and as a friend even as he struggles to express himself around her and despite her sometimes blatant prejudice against him. 

If I dare to say, at least for Season 6, Spike may have proven himself to be just as good if not better and worthy of the title of Princess of Friendship as Twilight. Let's face it. Spike's gone out of his way and comfort zone and interacting in ways no one else might dare to. 

With the latest episode coming, The Times They Are a Changeling, he's breaking even more barriers by possibly befriending a changeling.

Spike_saved_by_changeling_S6E16.png

Suddenly, Changelings don't seem quite as evil anymore, even with those fangs and love sucking. The fanfics will go nuts. Spike's status as an outsider makes him an ideal fit to be a bearer of friendship, alongside Twilight. He's an outsider, even at times to his own friends and he barely understands his role. Yet despite his insecurities he reaches out and helps and befriends others, even if they may be outsiders and outcasts, like Starlight or this changeling here.

I am looking forward to more of Spike this Season 6.  

• Brohoof 4

If I were Twilight and the other Princesses, I would be grooming Spike to be a diplomat or ambassador. As a non-Pony he could appeal to the citizens and leaders of another species by representing the virtues of ponykind, while symbolically being a vessel showing other species can coexist with ponies for mutual benefit.

I think that should be Spike's destiny and legacy.

• Brohoof 4

If I dare to say, at least for Season 6, Spike may have proven himself to be just as good if not better and worthy of the title of Princess of Friendship as Twilight. Let's face it. Spike's gone out of his way and comfort zone and interacting in ways no one else might dare to.

I swear, we're linked mentally or something. While you were writing this, I was writing similar thoughts in the Spike Fan Club group.   :lol:

I totally agree - his reason for being (for the most part) is to make friends. Whether it is due to his trying to make Twilight proud of him, competing with her, or just his status and history in Equestria, whatever it is - it has poured him into that particular mold of trying to befriend everyone.

It's too bad he wasn't around in "No Second Prances" - it would have been interesting to see how he would have reacted to Trixie reappearing, since she is one of the few ponies he actually has/had some disdain for.

• Brohoof 2

Never know, Spike could become a dragon Prince of Friendship, the first ever. The squee's will be heard for miles.

It is an amazing retrospective relaly. Spike started to fall into a pit in terms of how he was being portrayed, focusing mostly on his negatives and blunders. Now, his strengths are showing more now than they ever were. Becoming friends with the other dragons whom he had no good relationship with before, helping the once uber evil Starlight and now potentially becoming friends with a changeling? That is how it should be done. He could very well be the one that unites pony, dragon and changeling together.

Spike has gotten pretty badass at this friendship thing. XD :mustache: That changeling episode is the single most exciting episode for me in the second half of this season.

• Brohoof 3

He's the Friendship Ambassador for Outside Creatures for Equestria! He befriends other creatures and helps make an alliance with Equestria! Pretty good destiny if you ask me! ;)

• Brohoof 2