Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Want MLP to Address More Serious Issues? Which? How?

Queen Cassie

Friendship is Magic, as the type of show it is, teaches lessons. Childrens shows are wont to do this sort of teaching, after all, so as the show continues to progress, I expect we'll see the show attack some of the more dramatic issues that other shows have a tendency to address. Serious issues such as death, poverty, war, drug addiction--including alcoholism, or at least a form of it--as well as other possible issues might all be seen in the future, given the way the writers are so talented at integrating issues and making them both relevant to the show's themes as well as make them friendly to the target demographic.

For example, an episode idea I had in regards to how drug addiction might be handled involves a possible return of Gilda or Trixie, as either one of them could fit into this role.

For Trixie, having been rendered homeless and careerless through actions that were not her fault, she might have ended up on the streets, unable to really fend for herself or find some other sort of way of making a living. As a result, she might've turned to the "substance" (as whatever the drug is on the show, it won't be a real world drug) to try and cope with her life.

For Gilda, who might still have a home to go to but not much to live for in Equestria itself, particularly without one of her only friends(as far as we know). This could tie into my earlier speculation on Gryphon culture being French, where Gilda is now essentially lost in a foreign country without any other friend to depend upon. Like Trixie she might have turned to the "substance" to cope.

Either way, whether Trixie or Gilda, the character, while under the influence of the "substance," is discovered by the Mane Six. Given the nature of the "substance" the Mane Six try to do what they can to help Gilda or Trixie recover, turn their life around, and seek redemption through recovering. Now, because of the way the show works, said rehab is likely to be much simpler than any real world rehab, but the ultimate intent is that it allows Gilda or Trixie to learn more about friendship and to become a better person in the eyes of both the Mane Six and the viewers, turning into protagonists, or at least removing their antagonistic status. The overall lesson is about how even those you once feared or hated can become your friends if you just give them a chance and lend them a helping hand--or hoof, or claw.

Let us discuss how else serious issues might be tackled in episodes. Post your ideas, whether it's on drug addiction, war, poverty, death in general, bullying, psychological disorders, or other issues that you consider to be serious.

• Brohoof 15

Obviously they could have one about the magic of abortion and stem cell research or "Scootaloo has Two Fathers: Why we never talk about her Family". I got nothing. Bullying is the only one that really fits, and they show that all the time.

I mean, ain't saying its a bad idea, but you'd have to be one baaaaad guy to combine the morals of MLP with the harsh realities of drug abuse and racial violence and make it work.

So in short, getting taught that drugs are bad by a magical rainbow pony probably isn't the best way to go around the matter, I think. Although some ideas could be used. So... I dunno, maybe some smart psychologist fella should really consider look into this. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about, I say what I think, and I don't think about it too often. So maybe my tune will change, I dunno.

• Brohoof 2

I doubt they 'll take that chance. They may show that one of these is an issue but they won't address it completely as to integrate that into a show like this maybe near to impossible as keeping the target audience may not be ready to handle it. As bronies, we've most likely already seen this stuff but not the little kiddies who also watch it.

• Brohoof 2

When Kyronea says "drugs" and "substance" it could be something as simple as sweets and sugar related confectionery as that is something kids could relate to. Though I could really see this mainly working with Pinkie my point is that the "subtance" doesn't have to be bad and could well be anything that you can get addicted to which there are a lot if things.

• Brohoof 1

Riding The White Horse

Pinkie's table manners could definitely use some attention, and maybe a full-on intervention. Her sugar addiction is right out in the open, and her manic, ADHD-esque antics are probably directly related to her sugar habit.

Then there's the whole "Pinkamena" thing, suggesting Pinkie's outgoing nature is a facade thinly disguising an emotional powderkeg waiting to explode. If anyone is the poster pony for "serious issues", it's Pinkie.

So maybe an episode where Pinkie's sugar addiction leads to her being kicked out of Sugarcube Corner after eating everything edible in the place, and perhaps a few inedible things. Needing a place to stay, she sleeps on Fluttershy's couch, only to eat everything sweet in the house and drive Fluttershy to use "The Stare" to get her to leave. And so on, from one place to another, alienating each friend, running out of chances.

Eventually she winds up living in a back alley on the wrong side of Ponyville, scrounging through trash cans, licking discarded candy wrappers, doing anything to get a taste of that sweet, sweet sugar she craves so badly.

The show could end with Pinkie being checked into a "sugar clinic", intravenously pumped full of NutraSweet™ and eventually back to work behind the counter at Sugarcube Corner sipping a diet coke.

The letter to Princess Celestia would be simply: "Kids, Just Say No To Sugar."

Hmmm. Maybe I should become a professional cartoon script writer. :lol:

• Brohoof 4

So in short, getting taught that drugs are bad by a magical rainbow pony probably isn't the best way to go around the matter, I think. Although some ideas could be used. So... I dunno, maybe some smart psychologist fella should really consider look into this. I actually have no idea what I'm talking about, I say what I think, and I don't think about it too often. So maybe my tune will change, I dunno.

Yes, the idea of implementing drugs onto this particular kind of kid's show would seem a bit strange if not totally ridiculous. I'm not even sure if other viewers other than bronies (e.g, parents of small kids) would find the idea incredulous or just plain gutsy. Perhaps both.

However, dealing with death could make for a very nice episodes considering the subjects under Celestia's regime are, in the end, organic and sapient beings. To this end, it wouldn't be far-fetched at all seeing as how death is an unfortunate part of their lives, like all other beings. With that said, perhaps they could make an episode of one of the Mane 6 dealing with the loss of their mother or father dying off from some illness, and it takes the power of friendship for her to get through it. It would be darker compared to most episodes, but the overall feel would be satisfactory towards most people in the end, given the emotions it would stir up in viewers and perhaps add a bit of slight drama to enhance the mood.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Yes, the idea of implementing drugs onto this particular kind of kid's show would seem a bit strange if not totally ridiculous. I'm not even sure if other viewers other than bronies (e.g, parents of small kids) would find the idea incredulous or just plain gutsy. Perhaps both.

However, dealing with death could make for a very nice episodes considering the subjects under Celestia's regime are, in the end, organic and sapient beings. To this end, it wouldn't be far-fetched at all seeing as how death is an unfortunate part of their lives, like all other beings. With that said, perhaps they could make an episode of one of the Mane 6 dealing with the loss of their mother or father dying off from some illness, and it takes the power of friendship for her to get through it. It would be darker compared to most episodes, but the overall feel would be satisfactory towards most people in the end, given the emotions it would stir up in viewers and perhaps add a bit of slight drama to enhance the mood.

I see Death to be a bit too dark for a episode but they could still have a sickness, serious illness or injury of some sort and it could still have the same effect if written right without the darkness. Edited by Dave247

Dudes, I know I ain't the target audience here, but I watch MLP to get away from that kind of shit. If the subjects concerned were handled in a light but serious manner, I think they might do it. Maybe. Like I said, I ain't a psychologist, so I don't know how to handle stuff like this. I guess it could be a great way to teach morals, but... yeah, I dunno.

It would indeed create a new level of activity in the series if they create more "real life" problems. Using more common problems known to the human society, I can indeed see the benefits of using these areas of lessons to be learned. If they could be able to handle these strong themes in the series without making it into actual fandom satisfaction, but still keeping the style of the show, like you named about an easier rehab or the "substance" that would be a fictional creation, maybe an actual spell that would mentally stimulate themselves in the way a drug would, this would fit in Trixie's case.

I would personlly love to see a return of either Trixie or Gilda and have the show turn them around into fellow protagonists of the series rather than the one shot antagonists they really are. I believe show would benefit alot from reintroducing someone like these one shot antagonist and extend their canon personality.

The concept of using these themes of lesssons, I think the theme of poverty, drug addiction and alcoholism would fit the best into the series. We have had a semi-related episode towards war, the battle with the changelings, and I don't believe we have that big of a lesson to learn on the theme of war, but rather to learn on the theme of compromising between two opinion, which can be achieved by other means than actual war.

Experimenting with the theme of alcoholism could be pretty easy, seeming that we have the fandom personality of Berry Punch and that Pinkie Pie actually refers to "spiking" the punch in a joke where Spike falls asleep in the punch bowl. This means that alcohol have been weakly refered to in the actual series, hence making it easier to introduce the actual theme of alcoholism.

Trixie's caravan was broken, she had to flee from ponyville and this could easily be made into a concept of poverty, and I believe that the show would benefit greatly from introducing the more heavy themes of lessons, and making it easier to relate to by introducing it through characters we already know.

The theme of death could also easily be introduced through natural causes, old age. We have ponies like Granny Smith, extremely old if you research the lore of ponyville, since she was there at the founding of the village. Though of course I would hate to see her die, she could easily be used to introduce the actual theme of death. Making it a natural death of old age would also make the whole subject a bit easier to handle for the crowd than an accident.

Overall great post Kyro, thought provoking theories as always. Brohoof flinged your way.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Posted Image

*Ahem*

Trollestia aside, I do believe that those sorts of issues could and would be brought up in the future, but as several people have said, only as vague references. Yes the show is about teaching but I don't think the plots of the show will ever become focused upon dramatic issues, because for the most part it's problems about friendship etc. that are more generalized, 'life lessons' sort of deal as Tara Strong has said herself.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 1

I doubt that we will see any drug references anytime soon, but we have already seen some instances of bullying. I wouldn't mind some mature themes and lessons, as long as the show doesn't change too much because of it. I can see things like, death, poverty, depression, and bullying being covered in future episodes.

Personally I think these issues need to be things the parents of the target demographic needs to teach them. I mean I don't look down upon a show if they do cover it (IE: Arthur covered addictions and death in seperate seasons) but I really think that some lessons should stay off the TV and come from the parents.

An episode on Bullying would be nice though. (Like Diamond Tiara and SilverSpoon go too far in bullying AppleBloom leading her to wanna runaway from home or something and it's up to Applejack and Zecora to help her out along with the other Cutie Mark Crusaders...)

You've all made good points, particularly when it comes to keeping the themes of the show at hand. The show is about friendship, after all, not general life lessons.

But that's why I figured this thread could be useful to discuss how one could approach these sorts of subjects from the point of view of friendship. Imagine, for example, Applejack, Big Macintosh, and Apple Bloom all having to deal with Granny Smith passing away from old age...how could their friends help them get through that kind of serious time in their life? You could approach the episode primarily dealing with Applejack and the Mane Six, primarily dealing with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo, or you could do a mix and match where we try to see to both of them. (Poor Big Mac is probably mostly left out, but I think we can assume he does have his own friends that we just haven't see on the show thus far.)

Or, to bring things back down to Earth a little, how about bullying? We know the CMCs have had to deal with significant amounts of bullying from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon in the past, but what if they suddenly had to deal with bullying from older ponies, say from some other class being held at the school?

Stuff like that basically is what I'm hoping to see. Let's not be afraid to through ideas out there: that's the point of this being a discussion thread, after all.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Actually, we really might see a pseudo-drug episode. Hey Arnold! had one. (That episode with Chocolate Boy.)

Though that was back when cartoonists had the balls to tackle issues like that.

Edited by Critical Hit

No, most of us bronies love MLP because of it's lighthearted and joyful theme, going all serious dark with drugs and abortion would damage the show, that and it'd be too mature for the small children the show is targeted for.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know if it's a possibility... The guidelines for these shows are so strict now, even more so than when Ed Edd n Eddy and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy were around. When was the last time you've even seen the image of a gun in a cartoon?

And this show is meant for an even younger audience than those two, not to mention it's hosted on a channel that focuses on shows for 3 year olds.

So my guess is anything related to killing/murder, drugs/alchohol, or other really serious issues won't be included. I would say death may be included if it's just like one of the ponys get sick or something and they pass away. Poverty might be a possibility also

It is very possible for a kids show to address serious issues in an effective manner. Most of you are probably way to young to remember the episode of Sesame Street when Mr Hooper died (I was 4 or 5 at the time) but having that as a reference point in my young mind really helped me a year or so latter when a close friend of my family passed away. I think that it is important that the people who make shows that little kids watch use the oppertunity to show important life lessons (which I think that MLP:FiM does do a good job of but they could also do more)

(edited)

I think the writers have already come as close as they safely could to addressing war in the "play" episode. When the mane six were reinacting the conflict among the unicorns, the pegusi, and the earth ponies before equestria came to be. They were feuding over trivial matters and refused to set thier differences aside and compromise. They were so blinded by thier animosity that they failed to see that they were destroying thier own land. I think in this sense war has been addressed.

As for substance abuse more than likely it would be addressed through an episod where someone is addicted to sugar and sweets. I could totally see pinky going off the deep end with a sugar addiction and completely losing it or maybe the cake babes get their first taste of something sweet and don't know how to snack in moderation.

As for poverty, maybe a character's house gets destroyed and for one reason or other she has a hard time finding someone to stay with until her house is rebuilt. I could see that happening.

Edited by Twilight Yagami
  • Brohoof 2

Unless they do it very subtlely, It'll be rather difficult to get it past the censoring radars. Secondly, If some people couldn't even handle Derpy, I don't see an episode like this having a very good shot.

You know I realize that all the pony's names have something to do with their special talents and cutie marks as just a way to be cute in the show, but what if one episode dealt with a pony who had certain expectations placed upon them of what and who they would be, were named after that talent, and were even really really good at it but they didn't enjoy it? And rather the thing they did enjoy was something they had no natural talent at and struggled with to even be average at it? I would also be curious as to how their cutie mark would go in that instance.

It's not quite as serious a problem as some of the others suggested, but it can be very crippling to have a passion and desire that you're not to good at while being expected to perform at something you have a knack for.

• Brohoof 3