Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Its nice to see a role model for RD that actually lives up to her respect

Unlikeable Pony

So, after this episode, its really nice to see ONE of RD's role models live up to the respect she has for them; While she was abrasive in her initial episode, daring do was a pretty likeable and decently heroic character in this episode who felt like a character who was honestly deserving of Dash's viewing them as a hero/role model.

This is specifically in contrast to the wonderbolts, who, up to this point, generally have a bad habit of showing themselves to either be jerks or incompetent. Honestly, given Daring do's behavior in contrast to the wonderbolts, I kind of wish RD had looked up Daring do as her goal in life, since she's actually someone who seems worthy of her respect and emulation.

• Brohoof 10

Hey @@Unlikeable Pony, just letting ya know that a spoiler prefix was added to your thread, since it's referencing the latest episode. :)

I agree with ya. It was really nice to see Dash and Daring be really friendly with each other. By this point, it feels like they're acquaintances/friends rather than fan/idol.

• Brohoof 4

For what it's worth, those in the military will continue to tell you that the problems many people have with the Wonderbolts are all too familiar. Anyone who's been on profile can tell you how true-to-life Rainbow Falls was for Soarin'. The call signs in Newbie Dash were tame by Air Force standards. I could go on and on. The problem for the Wonderbolts, which Daring Do doesn't have to deal with, is that they need to compensate for their lowest common denominator. Why did Soarin' get the shaft in Rainbow Falls? Because I guarantee other ponies have used injuries to get out of the things they don't want to do, but the injuries have miraculously healed when they want to do something. How did Wind Rider get to where he was in the Wonderbolts? Well, not every shitbag gets chaptered in basic like Lightning Dust.

The Wonderbolts, and the EUP, are organizations that are, above all, about being the best, and doing what it takes to be the best. It's statistically more likely they'll have problems along the way than Daring Do, but what's important is that they improve after every failure. Daring Do does much the same thing, but it's easier for her, because she usually works alone.

• Brohoof 3

At this point, why does Rainbow really want to be part of the Wonderbolts again?

Because she likes flying and doing stuff like showing off moves, and the Wonderbolts are the best, possibly only, team that does it. Plus it's an actual job with a steady paycheck, unlike adventuring.

• Brohoof 3

At this point, why does Rainbow really want to be part of the Wonderbolts again?

Because it was her goal in S1, and its too late to change it at this point :P

Because she likes flying and doing stuff like showing off moves, and the Wonderbolts are the best, possibly only, team that does it. Plus it's an actual job with a steady paycheck, unlike adventuring.

>The downfalls of being a freelance adventure hobo rear their ugly head

>The downfalls of being a freelance adventure hobo rear their ugly head

I so want that job!

I agree with the idea that Daring Do is a more balanced role model. I'm still of the mind that it is Rainbow who should be the role model to the Wonderbolts, and not the other way around. So yeah, I can see where the OP is coming from.

• Brohoof 2

The saddest part is that in a sense this is what Newbie Dash should've been. In the last Daring Do episode Dash was such an obsessive fangirl who couldn't take a hint and constantly made things worse. Here she's still a bit nutty, but she's also capable of being more level headed and mature about the situation, like she still wanted to prove Daring Do's adventures were real, but she knew what her first priorities were. Likewise Daring Do was a lone wolf and constantly rejected any help because reasons and didn't want anything to do with RD and her friends, but in STFF, she was happy to see her again and was glad to ask for her help.

By contrast in Newbie Dash, RD suddenly regressed significantly, forgetting everything she learned in past episodes, for the sake of a few jokes, and the writers still keep writing the Wonderbolts as a bunch of jackasses(most likely unintentional, but it still doesn't look good for them). They're gonna need to do a lot of fixing in "Top Bolt", and make it amazing, because a majority of the fandom are pretty much done with them now.

Just make sure Polsky and Rapp stay far away from it

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

The saddest part is that in a sense this is what Newbie Dash should've been. In the last Daring Do episode Dash was such an obsessive fangirl who couldn't take a hint and constantly made things worse. Here she's still a bit nutty, but she's also capable of being more level headed and mature about the situation, like she still wanted to prove Daring Do's adventures were real, but she knew what her first priorities were. Likewise Daring Do was a lone wolf and constantly rejected any help because reasons and didn't want anything to do with RD and her friends, but in STFF, she was happy to see her again and was glad to ask for her help.

By contrast in Newbie Dash, RD suddenly regressed significantly, forgetting everything she learned in past episodes, for the sake of a few jokes, and the writers still keep writing the Wonderbolts as a bunch of jackasses(most likely unintentional most of the time, but it still doesn't look good for them). They're gonna need to do a lot of fixing in "Top Bolt", and make it amazing, because a majority of the fandom are pretty much done with them now.

Just make sure Polsky and Rapp stay far away from it

>It turns out that its a map mission

>The wonderbolts are even WORSE and need Twilight and rainbow dash to keep the entire organization from dissolving completely

Gotta agree on everything you wrote though about how this was how dash should have been written in that episode.

I know it won't happen, but damnit, Given how much better her relationship with DD as a hero has been, I'd really like the writers to find a way to swap her goal in life to being like DD. its just been so much more fluid.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony
  • Brohoof 1