Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Did Doom multiplayer improve over time?

Light Blade

3 users have voted

1. 1. What is the best Doom box art?

• Doom Guy
    • Doom Guy fights demons
    • Classic Doom-like Gamestop cover

They added a couple new game modes. Though to really fix MP and make the game worth the $60, in my opinion, they should remove the loadouts, make people start with two simple weapons, maybe pistol and combat shotgun start. Make every other weapon a pickup. Change matchmaking, maybe add server browsers. Remove leveling and hack modules, they are completely unnecessary. Keep the demon spawns, those are cool. The basis is there for a great arena shooter, but it's heavily flawed in it's execution.

When I launched multiplayer, I was expecting fast paced deathmatches as you would see in classic FPS games. Instead, it felt like they were trying to copy COD... which makes sense considering that the development team that worked on multiplayer worked on COD Ghosts multiplayer from what I understand. It's disappointing; I play COD for COD, I didn't expect and didn't want to play DOOM for COD.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna

@, The original Doom did have Multiplayer. Granted, setting up servers wasn't as easy back in the early 90s.

Also, it is nothing like Quake Arena, it's more in line with CoD's MP.

@, The original Doom did have Multiplayer. Granted, setting up servers wasn't as easy back in the early 90s.

Also, it is nothing like Quake Arena, it's more in line with CoD's MP.

Well, then that's just worthless. If they even tried to make it a shout out to Unreal, I would've been happy. But, since it's just a COD copycat, then that's nothing to me, lol.

• Brohoof 1

@, Aye. Though iD kicked the team responsible for the MP, so hopefully they turn it into an actual arena shooter.

• Brohoof 1

Arena shooters are rare now, far as I've seen. Unreal is dead, Quake Arena only has a cult following now. There's not much else, unless you want to go into mobas, lol. That new World War Toons looks fun, cause it looks kinda like an fps gone moba or moba gone fps, lol.

@,Actually, Unreal is far from dead. There's a new one coming out soon, it's in Pre-Alpha right now, but totally playable, and it's extremely stable, too.

Here's a link if you are interested.

https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

It's going to be completey free, and community driven. 

Using the Unreal Engine, too? Cause, without that, it can't be Unreal, lol. But, that's some good news. It's been too long since I seen that game around. Same as a 2D-sidescroller of the same genre, I haven't played since school, called Soldat. Would love to see that be done again, too. But, on the actual topic of this thread, lol, that is disappointing that the Doom MP is just a COD copycat. 

Using the Unreal Engine, too? Cause, without that, it can't be Unreal, lol. But, that's some good news. It's been too long since I seen that game around. Same as a 2D-sidescroller of the same genre, I haven't played since school, called Soldat. Would love to see that be done again, too. But, on the actual topic of this thread, lol, that is disappointing that the Doom MP is just a COD copycat. 

Yep, Unreal Engine 4.

I've played a bit of it and it's pretty fun, lots of awesome weapons and whatnot.

And yeah, it is a disappointment, I hope they change the multiplayer to be like old school quake.

• Brohoof 1

Sorry. I know that Doom multiplayer, starting from its launch was kind of going for Halo/CoD experience, kind of. Thing is, i was never a die hard fan of any fps multiplayers. I was always more into single player gameplay. I played the initial Doom multiplayer and, unlike anypony else, thought it is still fun. Not without a problem or 2, but still fun. But nevertheless I was curious. I just heard that Id was aware of not-so-nice feedback regarding the multiplayer and said that they are going to do something about that. So far we got like 2 updates (I think). But since i'm no seasoned MP guy, I can't tell if things are getting better, or...not.