Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Will the MLP film get major backlash from the Brony community?

TheAnimatorOfficial

Well, Disney/Pixar definitely make good movies from what I saw, so it makes sense that people give them praise. 

Now with the MLP movie, of course they can't make everyone happy, and there's no telling if the movie is gonna receive proper negative reviews from critics, sites, etc instead of just haters. But I personally believe that the movie is gonna do well.

I just can't wait to see it.

There are enough kids who watch the show that the movie probably won't do poorly. I'm willing to bet that the majority of people who identify as "bronies" when the movie comes out will go and see it. Lastly, you will have the occasional adult who watched the G1 cartoons and bought the original toys, so some of them might see it for nostalgia's sake.

Will it do as well as the modern Transformers films? I doubt it. But Hasbro has attracted some very successful voice actors/actresses to the film, which shows to me that they really want it to do well. This isn't some cop-out attempt at a movie solely to sell toys. Though the toy sales ultimately do decide the fate of the franchise, Hasbro has learned to entertain rather than simply advertise.

As long as Hasbro really puts in effort, the brony community will at least respect the movie. This isn't just a spinoff like Equestria Girls. This is the real deal.

That's true. However, who's involved with the film is all we know right now. We still have no idea what the story is going to be. It's cool that they're getting big-name actors into it, but for me, the big deciding factor in whether or not a film is good is the story and characters.

According to the status of this fanbase, i will say that Hasbro/THX should be careful with ANY decision, ANY direction they want with the show. Every "mishap" will be cause an uproar in the fandom.

In other words, the Bronies who like to piss and moan about everything. Those who don't do that are just glad that effort is still being put into the show to make it as great as it is.

Yup, no question. Even if the movie get 15 Oscars, 99% on Rotten Tomatoes, is rated 5 stars, is labeled the best movie of all time, and has the highest box office revenue ever...

It will still get bashed.  :orly:

Edited by Babyyoshi309
  • Brohoof 1

Considering that there's a vocal part of the fandom preaching the show's doom is neigh, I'm guarantee it'll get backlash from those, even if said movie is the best animated ever :dash:

• Brohoof 2

I could see it getting backlash if it's needlessly dark and edgy, if Sunset Shimmer isn't in it, and if Twilight ends up being the only one doing anything of actual importance. 

That said, all of these seem entirely likely to happen. 

• Brohoof 1

I would imagine it being like 'Slice of life' all over again, some of the fans will love it, others will hate it.  So yes, there will be a backlash, but probably just from a minority of people who get salty because of not enough Starlight Shimmer, or too much Starlight Shimmer, or the fact that Sunset is included/not included and so on.

Nothing and nobody can be all things to all people.  The only question is not 'Will there be a backlash?' but rather 'Who will backlash? and are they justified in doing so?'.

• Brohoof 1

I could see it getting backlash if it's needlessly dark and edgy, if Sunset Shimmer isn't in it, and if Twilight ends up being the only one doing anything of actual importance. 

Something tells me that if none of those things happen, there will still be backlash.

If it exists, someone in this fandom won't like it.

Agreed. See above reply.

• Brohoof 1

I am hoping that this will be a case of a decent amount of us are expecting and preparing for a backlash because we know how this fandom works, and it turns out we didn't really need to be so worried about it

That's what I am hoping for from the movie.

Outside of being a cute and fun 90 minutes.

• Brohoof 2

Hey, there's no starlight glimmer, so I'm already giving it a thumbs up on that point over the show.

• Brohoof 2

It's going to happen to some degree. Just like with the show, each episode gets backlash from some people. I can imagine the movie would get even more, considering we don't know much about it and people are getting unrealistic expectations.

• Brohoof 2

Everybody has different opinions, and there are enough bronies currently in existence that it's almost statistically certain that one of them won't like the movie. And once someone says they don't like it, a whole lot more will jump on that bandwagon, even if they didn't have a specific gripe about the movie to begin with.

Anything as major as the movie will get proportionately major backlash.

• 4 weeks later...

there are so many differing opinions in the fandom that it's gonna happen for sure but on a fundamental level i hope that it's lauded more for what it gets right instead of being focused on what it doesn't. although sadly this IS the internet afterall so you  know it's gonna stir up some arguing over some little details somewhere down the line. if it does though it will die down after a while and the pony folks that appreciate the movie for what it gets right will be around to discuss it assuming the movie isnt really bad.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Of course it will. Fans, regardless of fandom, always have vocal minorities who feel incredibly entitled and who will immediately leap atop the barricades to decry anything that doesn't meet their great vision. Because this group of people is so incredibly loud and high-profile, it will seem as if everyone shares their opinion. Personally, I think that most bronies will at the very least consider it to be okay, but you never know. It all depends on people's expectations. Right now, mine are pretty high, so I'll definitely be bummed out if they aren't met. I won't go around calling for any heads, though.

• Brohoof 1

It will.

It won't matter if it's amazing or horrible or just solidly 'meh.'
There is going to be a vocal group of fans who say the show is ruined forever because of the movie.

Hopefully the movie will give me cause to disagee with them.

• Brohoof 1