Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Master of one or Master of None

MoonStatue

Would you rather be a master of any one thing you will never be able to be very good or a master of any other skill and what would that skill be and why. or would you rather be a jack of all trades so your good at about anything but you will never master any skill you are good at everything but never the best at anything.

Edited by MoonStatue

What the pony above me said sums it up for me, too. Being a master of one thing but utterly useless in everything else, means you're pretty much going to be useless to a lot of people. But, being a jack of all trades, you have knowledge in various fields and while you are no master, you will get chosen for a lot of things.

• Brohoof 2

I would definitely go with Master of One, no questions asked. If I could choose either art or music, to be able to masterfully create something, something that can be an ultimate expression, something that also make others feel something wonderful, that would be incredible. Won't ever happen though.

That's a tough one.

My Asperger's means I'd instinctively veer closer to "master of one"-type territory, though I can't deny being a "jack of all trades"-type would be handy as hell.

Edited by A.V.

I would say master of none. In a job setting, being able to do multiple task well rather than one amazing nets you far more opportunities. Plus, I've pretty much accepted the fact there will always be a Master of One who is always better than me.  

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

I’d rather be okay at several things because being a master of only one, as nice as it sounds, is too limited. If I’m a master at one thing but can’t do anything else effectively at all, that’s not going to be very practical. I don’t need to be the best at something to be happily capable, even if it’s to a lesser degree.

Being a bit above average at everything you try sounds great, until you realize that means you'll never be better than slightly above average at anything you do. That's very discouraging and a bit depressing. Being good at many things, but not good enough at anything to actually matter or contribute to something in a meaningful way. I'd rather have one thing I'm incredible at.

Edited by Festive Booker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...