Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why doesn't Daring Do get Cabelleron arrested?

KillerKingBakudan

I know Daring Do's supposed to be a hero, but she wouldn't be writing stories about herself if she didn't want to keep her real identity a secret. So why isn't she taking full advantage of being A.K. Yearling by sicking the authorities on her enemies?

In Daring Don't, Caballeron brings his henchmen to her house so they can trash the place, beat her up when she arrives and steal an important artifact. In Stranger Than Fan Fiction, they're at a Daring Do convention pretty much to do the same exact thing. If Daring Do can identify them from all the cosplayers, wouldn't it be more logical to tell security, as A.K. Yearling, that there's this crazy guy, who thinks he's a character from her books, stalking her with a band of goons?

She's already convinced the public Caballeron doesn't actually exist, so setting him up to get arrested by the cops would be the perfect solution. He can't fight his way out of it. That would be like somebody trying to persuade a detective to let them go because they're actually Batman.

Because there is no police in Equestria. The only police are the royal guard and they only serve the royalty. Where else in the show has there been any sort of police or military when the princesses weren't in the vicinity? Local militia's are what keep the peace (usually a certain group of six friends and a dragon).  

• Brohoof 2

Because there is no police in Equestria. The only police are the royal guard and they only serve the royalty. Where else in the show has there been any sort of police or military when the princesses weren't in the vicinity? Local militia's are what keep the peace (usually a certain group of six friends and a dragon).  

post-30713-0-94747500-1470219626_thumb.png

I think it's pretty safe to say there's a police force in every Equestrian city.

• Brohoof 6

@

Or Manehatten. And only Manehatten. Cause out of 6 seasons and 7 cities, that's the one officer we've seen in all of Equestria. And perhaps the con they were at was out of police jurisdiction. 

• Brohoof 1

best thing i have to say to that.. there is no real law system in equestria.. the canterlot royal guards for example aren't responsible for what happens in them middle of nowhere they protect the city and provided cabelleron doesn't enter canterlot or the crystal empire its really not a problem, he is just treasure hunting like daring do it but for not as good reasons  

• Brohoof 2

best thing i have to say to that.. there is no real law system in equestria.. the canterlot royal guards for example aren't responsible for what happens in them middle of nowhere they protect the city and provided cabelleron doesn't enter canterlot or the crystal empire its really not a problem, he is just treasure hunting like daring do it but for not as good reasons  

Cops can't be out patrolling without some local jurisdiction for them to work in. They have regulations to follow when it comes to law enforcement, and they get paid for it. And honestly, if crime wasn't an issue, I doubt those regs would ever be needed.

We know there's security at that Daring Do convention. The very fact security's even a necessity should also be enough to warrant police intervention if Caballeron tried to do something stupid, like jump the author of the Daring Do books with his henchmen in front of all the fan ponies. I'd be surprised if no one reported him kidnapping Rainbow Dash and Quibble.

• Brohoof 1

@

Or Manehatten. And only Manehatten. Cause out of 6 seasons and 7 cities, that's the one officer we've seen in all of Equestria. And perhaps the con they were at was out of police jurisdiction. 

best thing i have to say to that.. there is no real law system in equestria.. 

Appleloosa has a sheriff and a jail, so I believe that there must be some sort of a law system in Equestria. :) 

I think the reason she doesn't get Cabelleron arrested is that he's not really doing anything illegal. He's just another treasure hunter and more of a rival than a real threat to Daring Do. OK, this one time he broke into her house and that could get him arrested but... dunno, I believe that he's bit aggressive, but that doesn't really make him a criminal. We've never even seen him use any kind of a weapon - all he does is just intimidate other ponies. Maaaaybe he hunts those ancient artifacts for personal gain (unlike Daring Do who donates them to museums) but still - technically he's not stealing anything nor hurting anybody. He's just a macho jerk.

• Brohoof 1

Appleloosa has a sheriff and a jail, so I believe that there must be some sort of a law system in Equestria. :) 

I think the reason she doesn't get Cabelleron arrested is that he's not really doing anything illegal. He's just another treasure hunter and more of a rival than a real threat to Daring Do. OK, this one time he broke into her house and that could get him arrested but... dunno, I believe that he's bit aggressive, but that doesn't really make him a criminal. We've never even seen him use any kind of a weapon - all he does is just intimidate other ponies. Maaaaybe he hunts those ancient artifacts for personal gain (unlike Daring Do who donates them to museums) but still - technically he's not stealing anything nor hurting anybody. He's just a macho jerk.

He's willing to ransack private property, assault other ponies and kidnap them if it can get him what he wants. That makes him a criminal, and Daring Do has every reason to file criminal charges. She even has the added benefit of making him look crazy with her books, because ponies only know Caballeron as a character.

If she wanted to, she could have screamed and yelled for security at the convention, and even sweetened the accusation. She could have said Caballeron tried to steal her purse. Or he grabbed her butt.

It could be the Batman complex. She might want the villain to stay around, though for a different reason. Perhaps with him staying out and about, there is always the possibility for another adventure. Could be for the experience, the chance to write a new book, or both.

• Brohoof 4

Aesthetic 

Really though, it seems like a stretch that she would be able to get him arrested when he is supposedly a fictional character. Saying he's a crazy fan that did a whole bunch of unprovable things wouldn't help either.

• Brohoof 2

Aesthetic 

Really though, it seems like a stretch that she would be able to get him arrested when he is supposedly a fictional character. Saying he's a crazy fan that did a whole bunch of unprovable things wouldn't help either.

Stalking is more than enough. It's not unheard of for a famous book author to be acting uncomfortable around a mob of fan ponies.

For maybe the same reason Indy doesn't have Belloq arrested, they're outside official jurisdiction when anything happens. Daring's plan was that Cabelleron wouldn't be able to openly act against her at the convention precisely because of security. When Cabelleron took Dash and Quibble to the jungle, they were on his turf.

It could be the Batman complex. She might want the villain to stay around, though for a different reason. Perhaps with him staying out and about, there is always the possibility for another adventure. Could be for the experience, the chance to write a new book, or both.

This. ^^

If Caballeron, one of the most prevalent villains in Daring Do's books, were to be charged for his crimes, then her stories could suffer in the eyes of readers. It's like killing off a well-known character. If the villain stays alive, that just leaves more opportunities to temporarily defeat him. Plus, having him arrested might blow her cover.

That leaves me with a question, though: how much do the Equestrian authorities know about A.K. Yearling's true whereabouts?

Stalking is more than enough. It's not unheard of for a famous book author to be acting uncomfortable around a mob of fan ponies.

Still, it's not like he did anything suspicious at the convention and she has no proof of anything else.

Also, aesthetic.

There's police in Manehatten, a sheriff in Appleoosa, and I really don't think they were really focusing on law enforcement. The fact is, they have a military force specifically so they can guard the princess, proving not everything is sunshine and gumdrops in Equestria. We don't need to wait for a police episode to make the logical leap that in every large gathering of ponies, there is at least ONE pony who's purpose is upholding the law.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean there are any laws to uphold. It's more likely that these ponies are simply peacekeepers rather than law enforcement. Cabelleron may not have broken any laws because there are no laws that he can even break. I haven't put a lot of thought or research into it, but it doesn't sound weird, looking at how Our Savior the Godprincess Celestia deals with Twilight and her friends, or the kind of people she has punished.

It's possible that Celestia may not have created any actual legislature for Equestria, and only punishes those who threaten the very nature of Equestria itself until they have a chance of reforming. That's why Starlight Glimmer wasn't really punished FOR BREAKING TIME, or Twilight was only scolded for messing with the minds of Ponyville's entire populace. They didn't break any laws, they just disappointed Our Savior the Godprincess.

Celestia IS Equestria's mother. Like, that is pretty much indisputable at this point. Equestria loves Celestia, and Celestia loves Equestria and wishes to guide it in an appropriate direction. I know not everyone can relate to this, but I love my mother. I don't want to disappoint her because I love her. I like to think that Equestria feels the same way to their mother, which is why bad doing doesn't happen on any large scale. Can't call it crime since there'd be no laws.

Uh, I didn't really put that much thought or research into any of this, it's just a theory I had. I don't know how much standing the theory has, but it's an interesting thought. At least, i think so.

Edited by Krynnymuffin

This. ^^

If Caballeron, one of the most prevalent villains in Daring Do's books, were to be charged for his crimes, then her stories could suffer in the eyes of readers. It's like killing off a well-known character. If the villain stays alive, that just leaves more opportunities to temporarily defeat him. Plus, having him arrested might blow her cover.

That leaves me with a question, though: how much do the Equestrian authorities know about A.K. Yearling's true whereabouts?

Consider this. Quibble's biggest complaint with all the Daring Do books following the first trilogy was they were unrealistic. Rainbow Dash proved they are 100% real, but Quibble still doesn't like them because that isn't enough to make them good. If the facts are ridiculous, they won't look good in a story.

If Daring Do wants to keep her fan base and continue writing, she has to change it up and exaggerate. Make stupid henchmen not so stupid so they become more challenging for her. Make traps and puzzles a lot less complicated so certain ponies like Quibble don't see her as incompetent. Not all the facts should be faithfully translated, but rather supplemented with lies and epic posturing. So if ponies want more of Caballeron in her books, she can just write about him anyway. She doesn't need the real Caballeron staying free to threaten her and ruin her treasure hunts.

It wouldn't necessarily be the first time she altered a character's place or lack thereof in a book either. The Mane Six are 100% real. Everyone in Equestria knows this. So I doubt Daring Do would put them all in Ring of Destiny as they are, WITH Rainbow Dash on the cover, without changing their names. She can't have readers scratching their heads and going, "Was A.K. Yearling on drugs when she wrote this? What the hell's Princess Twilight doing here?"

Still, it's not like he did anything suspicious at the convention and she has no proof of anything else.

Also, aesthetic.

A.K. Yearling's a mare, and a famous one at that. Police ponies are likely to take her word against a stallion's no matter what.

I know that's irrational, but I know from second-hand experience that doesn't stop it from being true. If a woman opens her mouth and cries loud enough, even if she's spewing lies, she'll get any guy arrested. And nothing short of having tens of thousands to spend on attorney fees will keep him from getting charged.

• Brohoof 1

A.K. Yearling's a mare, and a famous one at that. Police ponies are likely to take her word against a stallion's no matter what. I know that's irrational, but I know from second-hand experience that doesn't stop it from being true. If a woman opens her mouth and cries loud enough, even if she's spewing lies, she'll get any guy arrested. And nothing short of having tens of thousands to spend on attorney fees will keep him from getting charged.

At this point, I feel like you're taking this a bit too seriously. In that case:

aesthetic

That is my answer.

• Brohoof 1