Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

help for a non-English native about fan-fiction

Captain Generic.

how I do it? should I write it on my main Language and then pass it through google translate, finishing it with some style revision by myself? Or I should keep trying on English + Word spell check? Because what I done up today... Received. Mixed. Reviews. (9 positive against 6 Negative reviews)

I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination when it comes to writing fiction, but being an English speaker I've used translate to try to send messages to my foreign friends in their native language, and it's about 75% accurate I'd say, except languages that use a different alphabet e.g. Arabic.

If I was you, I'd try to avoid google translate and get a few native English speakers as pre-readers and run it by them. They will be much better than google and also be able to pick up on grammar errors, as well as what might be a technically correct sentence, but one that reads strangely.

Hope this helps :)

• Brohoof 2

Google Translate, while a handy tool, shouldn't be relied upon to translate large passages.  I've seen people try to do that, and in all but a few cases, it's resulted in me and many others scratching our heads trying to figure out what was intended.  In my honest opinion, if your English is below fluent, then the best way that I know of to get it translated would be to finish it in your native language and then find someone who's fluent in both to translate it.  That way, your work remains legible and professional.

Google Translate, while a handy tool, shouldn't be relied upon to translate large passages.  I've seen people try to do that, and in all but a few cases, it's resulted in me and many others scratching our heads trying to figure out what was intended.  In my honest opinion, if your English is below fluent, then the best way that I know of to get it translated would be to finish it in your native language and then find someone who's fluent in both to translate it.  That way, your work remains legible and professional.

I'm fluent, but my vocabulary is lacking (I can deduce what a new word means by decomposing it, I suppose my brain is too full and can't grasp any sort of long term vocabulary.) on even another language (I can grasp fully Spanish and Catalan, can read French, some German, Russian, Japanese and Cantonese).

I'm fluent, but my vocabulary is lacking (I can deduce what a new word means by decomposing it, I suppose my brain is too full and can't grasp any sort of long term vocabulary.) on even another language (I can grasp fully Spanish and Catalan, can read French, some German, Russian, Japanese and Cantonese).

If it's only vocabulary, then I'd invest in a <your language>-English dictionary.  At least where I live, they don't run any higher than $20 USD, and usually not even that high.  I mean, you could always use Google Translate, but it has a tendency to give you the wrong word.  For example, you could attempt to translate "look" and end up with the translated word for "stare".

Bottom line:  If you want your work to look professional, buy a bilingual dictionary.