Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Airsoft cosplay

WeirdoWithACello

As far as I know, it's not against the law (although I highly advise that you never walk around in public with an airsoft gun unless it is obvious that it is not real), so it is all up to the convention rules. It really depends on the convention. Many allow it, but some don't. Check if projectile weapons are banned. If they are, then don't bring an airsoft gun. If your not sure, ask someone who would know for that specific convention.

If you do use an airsoft gun, you need to take precautions just to make sure there is no misunderstandings. Always have an orange tip. I know some conventions don't require orange tips on prop guns, but because airfost guns are not just props, so better safe than sorry. Also make sure it is not loaded and if it is an electric gun, take out the battery. If the gun is only for cosplay and you don't mind making it unusable, I've seen people permanently plug the barrel. Basically, make sure it is obvious that you can't fire the gun.

Edited by El Duderino
  • Brohoof 1

Where would I find the convention rules on projectile weapons?

Your best bet would be to check the conventions website, if they have one. Sometime there is a list of rules, or a Q&A on a website. If you still aren't sure, you could possibly find someone who would be able to give you an answer for that specific convention.

• Brohoof 1

Your best bet would be to check the conventions website

every convention i've ever gone to has had a VERY clear policy on weapons.  one as "No weapons (including prop/cosplay weapons) are permitted"

definitely check out the requirements before you bring one.

• Brohoof 1

every convention i've ever gone to has had a VERY clear policy on weapons.  one as "No weapons (including prop/cosplay weapons) are permitted"

definitely check out the requirements before you bring one.

Definitely. You don't want to show up and get in trouble for having one.

• 2 weeks later...

Responded in another post, but posession of airsofts are illegal in Philadelphia (you can't have a water gun on public property either!) Philadelphia has specific laws that are stricter than Pennsylvania laws, more here: https://mlpforums.com/topic/155374-airsoft-cosplay/#entry4640552

That's good to know. Thanks for sharing that. Just shows how you really need to take every precaution before you use any prop gun. Guns of any type (real or fake) in public is a very serious matter. Always better safe than sorry.