Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Musicians that influenced your musical tastes

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

When I was quite young, I had no real musical taste. I sorta listened to whatever. Then, as time went on, mostly around when I was 13 or so, I started to listen to different kinds of specific music and I started to develop my own personal tastes in music and genres. One of the key factors to this was different bands at the time influencing me.

We should talk about that here. What are some bands/musicians that influenced what your overall taste in music is now?

A couple of bands that did this for me were Shattermask and Nightwish. <3

• Brohoof 1

Early on, the only music I could listen to was whatever my parents listened to. They both have their preferences, but I ended up with a huge collection right off the bat. It included the likes of

Metallica

Megadeth

Elvis Presley

Nickelback

Michael Jackson

AC-DC

Def Leppard

Queen

Weird Al

Kiss

Elton John

Pearl Jam

And definitely a lot more others that I can't remember. This helped be a lot more open to a variety of different types of music. After I found YouTube, I discovered new things.

Lady Gaga, Owl City, JT Machinima, Crush 40, and I Fight Dragons are some of the ones that led me to see that I prefer modern, electronic genres, but I still like listening to just about anything.

Except country. I will say this again: I despise country music. 5 years in North Dakota where that's all anyone listens to is more than enough to last me a lifetime.

I never really got into anything modern, or anything that would fall under pop. I grew up with what my folks listened to. Bands like Queen, The Beatles, Hall and Oates, Billy Joel, and so on and so forth. As time went on, my taste got a little heavier, blending in acts like AC/DC, Def Leppard, and KISS.

These days, my taste mainly is in classic rock and metal.

The Band Edelweiss made me interested in listening to Eurodance Songs and im still listening to them and similar songs.

The Band Lost Horizon made me interested in Metal Songs and the Punk Rock Cds from my Mother, made me interested in all sorts of rock.

Listening to rock bands like Green Day has taught me that others can have it so bad, but get over it regardless. This has made me very appropriative for all that I have and keep a positive mind whenever things go bad.

Electronic music (not EDM) has shown me how creative and unique people can be, and how I enjoy differnce as well as similarity.

I enjoy all types of music, from hip hop to reggae, to metal to trap. As long as it sounds good, I enjoy it.

One of the first bands I really got into was Disturbed. To this day they remain one of my favorites and I listen to mainly metal and have an appreciation for vocalists with a deep, reverberating voices like David Draiman.

On another note, Avenged Sevenfold is what got me into harsh vocals. When I first heard them it was the Waking the Fallen album which was like 90% scream. One's first reaction to metal screams isn't usually positive and I was no different but I liked everything else about it so I kept listening. Over and over. Eventually it started growing on me so I started listening to other music I used to pass up because of it.

Now I have an appreciation for both and I especially enjoy bands that mix clean and harsh vocals well. Scar Symmetry, Disarmonia Mundi and of course Avenged Sevenfold themselves.

I've got a very eclectic taste in music, so I like almost everything. When I was a little kid, before napping my mother would make me and my sister listen to "The Four Seasons" from Vivaldi, so listening to classical music to keep a calm mind, and relax for a bit.

There was a time I listened a lot to metal, groups like Slipknot, Rammstein, Alter Bridge... But I almost never listen to those groups anymore, however I still like them. :3

And naturally, I'm very fond of electronic music, all thanks to Daft Punk, a duo I truly discovered when I was like 13, perhaps also Justice. 85% of the music I listen to is electronic, so Daft Punk influenced my tastes the most out of any musicians. B)

I first got into electronic music I remember from listening to deadmau5's Ghosts n Stuff back in 2010, I was 10 years old at the time. My sister and I started listening to his album Random Album Title and then For Lack of a Better Name and then 4x4=12 and realised that there were a plethora of other artists in this genre. From then on I just started listening to house, then I got into dubstep, then I got into electro, then I started listening to more chill stuff and eventually I started listening to IDM and abstract stuff.

My list would go (in order of appearance),

Iron Maiden

AC/DC

Eminem

Pink Floyd

Saxon

AC/DC (again)

The Sex Pistols

Elton John

Aerosmith

Alice Cooper

The Regimental Band of the Coldstream Guards

Led Zeppelin

Clean Bandit

Quiet Riot

I listen to most of them these days. AC/DC features twice because I had a bit of a hiatus with them, damn near two years. I was listening to Iron Maiden at 7, AC/DC by 8 and Eminem by 12. The rest have come along in the past half-dozen years. Have to blame my addiction of marching bands on cinema, Zulu, Waterloo and the like. And Sharpe too, I suppose. And I'll be damned if I can tell you why Clean Bandit is there, but it is.

Anyway, you can't beat a good rock anthem. And I'm sure that list reflects that. Don't really enjoy the heavy stuff, or the 'n-word' heavy rap that is pretty popular these days. But anything else, I can get into.

Edited by ForthEorl

I'm this huge kpop fan now. Kpop actually helped me learn some Korean :lol: ! I used to just listen to whatever popped up on YouTube, iTunes, and the radio. Nowadays, I have downloaded songs from my favorite KPOP groups, EXO and BTS. ;)

If I had to name them all, they'd be James Taylor, Elton John, Bruno Mars, Michael Bolton, Richard Marx, Phil Collins, Lionel Richie, Green Day, Three Days Grace, Bill Conti, and of course Boston. They influenced me to be a better man if I ever decide to find my soul mate, while simultaneously help me stand strong for myself and the people around me, even if life is tough.

Michael Giacchino and Nobuo Uematsu did a lot help me appreciate orchestra, really loved MoH: Frontline and FF8's OSTs. Likewise Queen for 80's rock and Motörhead for Metal

Ooh, it's tough to narrow it down to specific artists...

Classically going way back, I oddly enough fell in love with it through Early Music. I did not know this, and before recently I would have said my interest in Early Music was very recent - like from the last three years. However, I realized what I was looking for when I first started listening to classical music. I was looking for music with fanfare brass, a specific kind I had heard around but could never identify. For years, I thought I was thinking of Baroque pieces like this, and I was partially correct. However, I realized more what I had heard that had drawn me in was like 6:00 in this collection of pieces.

I like to cite my real introduction to interest in Classical music with Handel, though. When I heard this piece from a tape at my grandparents' house, I wanted more. It also really inspired me to play the bassoon, believe it or not. I love the sound of the bassoon in that piece.

On the pop side of music, that's... I don't know. I can say that listening to a Chicago album back in mid-to-late 2008 would eventually get me really interested in the Brass Rock genre, and also had a great influence on introducing me to the music of the 60s/70s that I love so much today. The road to my love for music way before my time is much more complex than that, though. I was raised with 60s/70s/80s music.

The process of me getting into British Folk music is something I've posted about on here before, since it took place entirely during my time on these forums. It started with an interest in Early Music. At my last university I played in their concert band since they didn't have any bassoonist for it. In one concert we played a Concert Band arrangement of a collection of dances from the Renaissance era. (Here's one of the movements, my favorite). This seems irrelevant... Bear with me because my liking of British Folk went hand-in-hand with my (re)discovery of love for Early Music. I fell in love with that 'early music' sound. Somehow (I do not recall how) I discovered the band called Gryphon. I first heard the song 'Ethelion' which around 20 seconds in opens with a bassoon section that sounds a whole bunch like Renaissance music. I was like "Hm? What is this 'Folk'?" It was a genre I never really understood. (Even still it is a very conflated genre that has lost a lot of meaning) That's when I discovered another Gryphon song that I instantaneously fell in love with and it inspired me to look into everyone else in the genre.

• Brohoof 1