Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has the show jumped the shark?

CastletonSnob

For those who don't know, "Jumped the shark" means the certain point that a show is past its best.

I think the show isn't as good as it was. This season has been largely hit or miss. There have been good episodes like Hearth's Warming Tail, Stranger Than Fan-Fiction, and Saddle Row Review, but there have also been some stinkers like Newbie Dash, Applejack's Day Off, and Cart Before the Ponies. I also don't have high hopes for this week's episode (It's the one where Rainbow goes too far with her pranks). There aren't any episodes so far that have been as good as episodes from past seasons. 

A lot of the decline in quality has to do with the fact that most of the original writers have either left or are working on the movie. And the writers that are working on Season 6 are a mixed bag. Dave Rapp and the Fox Brothers have not impressed me with their respective episodes.

What do you think?

• Brohoof 2

It's like every time the show comes out with an underwhelming episode/divisive episode, the show always seems to jump shark or it goes downhill and we get several of these threads. I mean last weeks episode got some rave reception, or does it suddenly not matter anymore?

Even as someone who hasn't liked S6 as a whole so far, and is dreading next weeks episode, a lot of the episodes that follow show a lot of promise

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 8

I feel like this question has already been asked several times, and, while I don't want to deride anyone for thinking that it has jumped the shark, I agree with @ in that I feel the term gets thrown around a lot whenever there's an underwhelming episode. A bit too loosely, TBH.

I'm just gonna say that different people will obviously have different opinions- if you ask me, this season hasn't been bad but the stakes seem a lot lower than in the previous season, and I feel like we've had fewer episodes this season that blew me away. Others might think this season was better than the last. But honestly, I find it kinda hard to gauge whether a show has "jumped the shark" or if it's just been having a few less-than-impressive episodes. 

• Brohoof 10

It's like every time the show comes out with an underwhelming episode/divisive episode, the show always seems to jump shark or it goes downhill and we get several of these threads. I mean last weeks episode got some rave reception, or does it suddenly not matter anymore?

Even as someone who hasn't liked S6 as a whole so far, and is dreading next weeks episode, a lot of the episodes that follow show a lot of promise

I have liked most of S6 so far, but I totally know what you mean. As an episode comes out that isn't all that well-liked, you will get these comments. I don't mean to degrade anybody's opinion, it just seems that every other episode is one that half the fandom enjoys and half the fandom says is proof that the show jumped the shark. Such is life, I guess.

I'm trying to be optimistic about next week's episode. We don't know for sure that it's going to be all that bad. But something tells me it's going to be divisive.

• Brohoof 1

'Some eps are great others are boring but seasons 1 and 2 will forever be in our hearts.' I think is a positive way to sum up basically what half of people are thinking. Personally I like the creativity even if it doesn't fit into season 1 and 2, and yeah boring eps are boring, but it doesn't mean all will forever be boring, just look up episode descriptions and see which ones sound more interesting. Personally I love do princesses dream of magic sheep? because, despite people being bothered by Luna's behavior its an entertaining and creative episode, tbh I would be absolutely fine if there were a series spin off just about dream adventures because they can be so whacky and random and you can do alot of stuff in them that were previously limiters on creativity due to things like physical constraints. But I guess I'm getting off topic :blush:

• Brohoof 1

Eh, I personally wouldn't go that fair. I mean yeah not all episodes have bene great, but that could be said about all seasons to date. Personally, I've sound season 6 to be enjoyable; especially with episodes like "Gauntlet of Fire," "No Second Prances," and "Saddle-Row Review" to be particular standouts. Really, I'd have to see a more consistent drop in quality to say the shark has been jumped.

• Brohoof 5

I can understand that you might not like this season. But isn't it kinda unfair to say that it jumped the shark, just because this weeks episode was underwhelming?

I am in this fandom for almost 5 years now and this discussion has been dragged out ever since season 2. I remember when people said, that when mysterious mare do well came out, that the show jumped the shark. Besides, there have been bad episodes since season 1 (boast busters, Show Stoppers, Over a barrel) and just in general, anything but perfect.

If you don't feel anything from this season, fine by me. But you should be careful to make such bold claims.

• Brohoof 7

For those who don't know, "Jumped the shark" means the certain point that a show is past its best.

I think the show isn't as good as it was. This season has been largely hit or miss. There have been good episodes like Hearth's Warming Tail, Stranger Than Fan-Fiction, and Saddle Row Review, but there have also been some stinkers like Newbie Dash, Applejack's Day Off, and Cart Before the Ponies. I also don't have high hopes for this week's episode (It's the one where Rainbow goes too far with her pranks). There aren't any episodes so far that have been as good as episodes from past seasons. 

A lot of the decline in quality has to do with the fact that most of the original writers have either left or are working on the movie. And the writers that are working on Season 6 are a mixed bag. Dave Rapp and the Fox Brothers have not impressed me with their respective episodes.

What do you think?

Well, jumped the shark I think more applies to a change in tone rather than a change in quality; More that the show has changed from its original intent/style than quality.

Now, has the show changed from its original style in Season 1? A little, and many arguments can be made that there's been a shift in focus in several areas (two parters focus almost entirely around Twilight now rather than the group, and there's significantly more adventure episodes than there was in S1 with a bigger focus on defending equestria as their duty), but I don't think its QUITE jumped the shark yet.

Well, in my opinion I'm starting to like less and less episodes as the seasons go on.

However, even though I may not like an episode here and there,

the main reason I watch is to see my favorite characters and the situations they get into.

So, for that reason I'm going to have to say "No" it hasn't "Jumped the Shark".

Edited by Sparklefan1234
  • Brohoof 2

Yes. Yes it has. Here's the proof.

sig-4628485.octavia_and_dj_pon_3__jump_t

DUDE, I'VE WANTED TO MAKE THAT JOKE  :(

Anyway, I don't really feel this season made MLP jump the shark, is just that most of this season episodes have been more down to earth and slice of life, just like S1  :icwudt: . It's pretty ironic the complains since not long ago many were complaining MLP deviated much from the slice of life focused S1  :orly: . Still, it's impossible to NOT notice the change since we got previously: tree of harmony and a chest building up for something big, Daring Do books are 100% legit, superhero adventures, first Manehattan visit and pony Weird Al just to mention ONLY the first half of S4  :orly: . This season however, only had Gauntlet of Fire, and at a lesser extent Saddle Row Review

Anyway, I don't really feel this season made MLP jump the shark, is just that most of this season episodes have been more down to earth and slice of life, just like S1  :icwudt: . It's pretty ironic the complains since not long ago many were complaining MLP deviated much from the slice of life focused S1  :orly: . Still, it's impossible to NOT notice the change since we got previously: tree of harmony and a chest building up for something big, Daring Do books are 100% legit, superhero adventures, first Manehattan visit and pony Weird Al just to mention ONLY the first half of S4  :orly: . This season however, only had Gauntlet of Fire, and at a lesser extent Saddle Row Review

And Stranger than fan fiction.

that being said, they may be trying to divorce FIM from Action/adventure if they're planning on moving it all over into a seperate guardians of harmony series.

• Brohoof 1

Nah. It was awsum and it's still awsum, just differently, because if it would be the same awsum it would become boring in 6 years. 9_9

What I really miss is unicorn Twilight. She's still unicorn in my heart.

alicorn_twilight_is_here_by_nemesisprime

I still enjoy the show greatly. It's up for debate whether it has already peaked or not, but I think it's still holding pretty strong. Sure, there are less desirable episodes every once in a while, but honestly it's been like that since day one.

• Brohoof 2

Eh, not particularly. People have been asking this since season 3, honestly, and frankly, I don't see it. Sure, this season has had some stinkers, but every season does. I don't think it's had any more low episodes than season 1 or 2 had. It's always going to be like this, no matter what. The show still cranks out some fantastic episodes.

• Brohoof 2

I don't think so. Some people do, some people think it jumped the shark in season 2, some in season 3, some in season 4, some in season 5, some in season 6, some in season 7...That last one's not even out yet, and might not exist, but I bet you, someone thinks it ruined the series already.

People have such varied opinions, every other episode is the worst thing ever and the best thing ever at the same time. I personally think season 6 is a pretty enjoyable season so far with a few of my new favorite episodes, and mostly some pretty good ones overall. Only one episode really kinda bugged me, and that was more for personal reasons than a lack of quality on it's part.

Basically, nobody can agree on anything, which is fine. If a little hilarious...or irritating at times.

• Brohoof 1

Well,let's face it,anything should be with + or -. The show now is better than before with animation, good songs and ideas. On the other hoof we see friendship lessons - they repeat. Some of the episodes would look better if they would be in 1-3 season (like "Cart Before Ponies" for example).
I will not stop watching the show as long as it stays. So I don't feel like "show jumped the shark" should be a problem for me or a guy with my opinion. It's a wonderful show,and it's not killing itself slowly,it stays as it was.

I don't really think so.

While I have enjoyed most of the season so far, I do have to admit that it feels a bit of a step down from season 5 and especially season 4.

I would feel more concerned if the show continued after the movie.

• Brohoof 1

SSSHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! I havint finished season 1 yet. :angry:

really???? they're all on netflix now, please please watch

I don't really think so.

While I have enjoyed most of the season so far, I do have to admit that it feels a bit of a step down from season 5 and especially season 4.

WAIT IS THE SHOW GONNA STOP AFTER THE MOVIE?!?

i don't want it to  :(

What does a show losing quality have to do with jumping over a fish? 

I don't really think so.

So do I. FIM has gone a long way since it's airing back in 2010, and showed us that this is far more than a show for little girls. But good things have to end someday, and I'd rather have it finished on a high note than beat it to death 

really???? they're all on netflix now, please please watch

WAIT IS THE SHOW GONNA STOP AFTER THE MOVIE?!?

i don't want it to  :(

I do, though with a world as big as it is, there's space for a spinoff or something. 

What does a show losing quality have to do with jumping over a fish? 

From what I understand, there was an old live-action comedy show that was pretty popular. I think it's was down to earth but clever comedy, but there was a point where the characters were aiming too high (attempting to gain fame in Hollywood), and one of the main characters made a stunt consisting of jumping a pond with sharks while skurfing. Since then, the show lost it's charm, quality, and lost ratings until it's eventual cancellation. Due to that, the phenomenon of a show losing quality from one point to it's end is popularly referred as "x show has jumped the shark".

So do I. FIM has gone a long way since it's airing back in 2010, and showed us that this is far more than a show for little girls. But good things have to end someday, and I'd rather have it finished on a high note than beat it to death 

I do, though with a world as big as it is, there's space for a spinoff or something. 

From what I understand, there was an old live-action comedy show that was pretty popular. I think it's was down to earth but clever comedy, but there was a point where the characters were aiming too high (attempting to gain fame in Hollywood), and one of the main characters made a stunt consisting of jumping a pond with sharks while skurfing. Since then, the show lost it's charm, quality, and lost ratings until it's eventual cancellation. Due to that, the phenomenon of a show losing quality from one point to it's end is popularly referred as "x show has jumped the shark".

Um........I was just making a joke, i didn't know this "fish jumping" had such a deep lore. if aanyonnn..i mean any pony :D is intrested in writing plese don't include the 3 following words at the same time jumping-over-shark

​Research FTW :orly: