Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has the show jumped the shark?

CastletonSnob

but i don't want there to be a spin off i want the show to continue, why can't it continue after the movie? Spongebob had movies, Fairly odd parents had movies, they're still going.

Spongebob lost quality after the movie (the original writer left, and gained infamy since then), Fairly Odd Parents lost popularity after the introduction of Poof (in it's defense though, it wasn't immediately after the two movies, but it still didn't evaded the phenomenon) 

Spongebob lost quality after the movie (the original writer left, and gained infamy since then), Fairly Odd Parents lost popularity after the introduction of Poof (in it's defense though, it wasn't immediately after the two movies, but it still didn't evaded the phenomenon) 

you're right... but i just don't wanna see it end  :(

WAIT IS THE SHOW GONNA STOP AFTER THE MOVIE?!?

i don't want it to  :(

What I know is that they search for new animators. Maybe there is a 7th season. I also read something that a 7th season is in production, but I am not sure if the source is right or not. 

But for me, I would say an end of the show after the movie would be not so bad. I know a lot of shows who have to much seasons and become bad (Simpsons (especially after the movie), Two and a half men, etc.). And honestly, S5 and S6 are not so good as the older one in my opinion. In the older seasons, there was more episodes which I liked. I wouldn't say the new episodes are really bad (except for Applejack's "Day" off, for me worst episode of all), but also not really good.

I would honestly say so. I now have very little faith that season 6 can be turned around and I will likely end up considering it to be the worst season of the show. 

The quality just isn't there anymore, and only comes in short bursts. I feel like what we're seeing now is the same type of transition that occurred between pre-movie Spongebob and post-movie Spongebob.  :sunny:

• Brohoof 2

Why is it that every time an episode comes out that people don't like, it's considered jumping the shark? That's not even what jumping the shark means.

A mediocre episode does not make for jumping the shark. The show doing something so over the top that it can't top that is jumping the shark. The fight scene in Twilight's Kingdom was more jumping the shark than this. The entirety of Slice of Life was more jumping the shark than this. And I don't really consider any of those moments bad.

I can understand why you wouldn't like the current season, but keep in mind the fandom has been saying this stuff since as early as season 2. Besides, the recent episode while mediocre, wasn't THAT bad.

• Brohoof 8

From what I understand, there was an old live-action comedy show that was pretty popular. I think it's was down to earth but clever comedy, but there was a point where the characters were aiming too high (attempting to gain fame in Hollywood), and one of the main characters made a stunt consisting of jumping a pond with sharks while skurfing. Since then, the show lost it's charm, quality, and lost ratings until it's eventual cancellation. Due to that, the phenomenon of a show losing quality from one point to it's end is popularly referred as "x show has jumped the shark".

Happy Days. It was really popular back in the 1970s. At one point, though, they had an episode (it might've even been a two-parter) dedicated to one of the characters, the Fonz, getting on water skis and jumping over shark-infested waters. The whole concept was asinine for a show about people living in the 1950s, and with a character whose shtick was wearing leather jackets and being the cool yet down-to-earth tough guy. Now it's used a benchmark for when a show goes over the top and breaks with its core style in order to remain relevant and attract more viewers.

So, in order to gauge whether or not MLP has jumped the shark, you'd have to find an episode which radically broke from the core premise and ultimately changed the landscape of the show. Jumping the shark shouldn't be confused with a show naturally evolving and gaining newfound depth. Rather, if someone can name an episode in which MLP effectively ceased to be MLP, then that's probably where it jumped the shark.

• Brohoof 2

Like people are saying, people have always said the show's jumped the shark/gone downhill, and every time I disagree completely. Just because there are some not-so-good episodes doesn't mean the show has jumped the shark. If anything, it's improved from an animation and writing standpoint.

• Brohoof 2

Eh, I think we will only truly know the answer to that question in retrospect. The show has changed from when it first started. Let's not mince words there. It has, and it will continue to change. So, for a season 1 & 2 fan, maybe the show jumped the shark at the end of season 3, but then there are the post-season 3 fans who prefer the more actiony/adventury seasons that followed. Season 6 has new writers who have yet to come into their own, and it has gone in a more slice of lifey direction which doesn't work for some. However, for all we know the new writers could hit their stride in future episodes or even in the following season if one is in the works. Also, I actually don't mind the more slice of lifey direction of this season as it may just be a break from the plot heavy seasons before it while season 7 could return to that formula. The Best Night Ever is one of my favourite season finales and I do wish there were more slice of lifey seasons, but I guess that's all subjective.

I'm not saying it's not possible to definitively say the show has jumped the shark while it's still airing, but the current season is too atypical to really say IMHO. Take a show like The Big Bang Theory which I know jumped the shark ages ago, but I still watch because I enjoy it and probably have some nostalgia for earlier seasons. That show changed direction and continued on its new trajectory with no sign of shifting back and has long since become a more typical slice of life sitcom with a little bit of smart humour mixed in, but not nearly as much as before. I still watch it because I like to see the progression of the story and characters, but yeah, I probably wouldn't recommend the current seasons to a newcomer.

FiM on the other hand is one of those series where no season is truly like the last. I mean, maybe season 2 builds on season 1 while season 3 is a knockoff of season 2 in its better episodes, but after that something has changed each season. Also, since some people think Lauren Faust leaving the show was the worst possible thing and others have chosen to just revere her as the creator and appreciate the direction the show has gone since, don't you think everyonr is treading the exact same path as the Faustians by grabbing your fainting couches over a shift in writing staff?:D I will admit, the new writers have yet to truly hit their stride for the most part, though we have seen some decent episodes by a couple of them so I think at least some of them are improving. Besides, do we really have to start labelling a third camp as Keating-Rogersites and/or McCarthians?;)

I really don't see any quality drops. It seems the same to me, if not better. People just get upset because the episode doesn't have what they want. Oh, and I liked Newbie Dash. *Hides*

Happy Days. It was really popular back in the 1970s. At one point, though, they had an episode (it might've even been a two-parter) dedicated to one of the characters, the Fonz, getting on water skis and jumping over shark-infested waters. The whole concept was asinine for a show about people living in the 1950s, and with a character whose shtick was wearing leather jackets and being the cool yet down-to-earth tough guy. Now it's used a benchmark for when a show goes over the top and breaks with its core style in order to remain relevant and attract more viewers.

So, in order to gauge whether or not MLP has jumped the shark, you'd have to find an episode which radically broke from the core premise and ultimately changed the landscape of the show. Jumping the shark shouldn't be confused with a show naturally evolving and gaining newfound depth. Rather, if someone can name an episode in which MLP effectively ceased to be MLP, then that's probably where it jumped the shark.

I think another good example would be Family matters; Specifically, when they introduced Stefan from steve urkel by making mad science a core part of the world when it had started out as a down to earth family sitcom.

Why is it that every time an episode comes out that people don't like, it's considered jumping the shark? That's not even what jumping the shark means.

A mediocre episode does not make for jumping the shark. The show doing something so over the top that it can't top that is jumping the shark. The fight scene in Twilight's Kingdom was more jumping the shark than this. The entirety of Slice of Life was more jumping the shark than this. And I don't really consider any of those moments bad.

I can understand why you wouldn't like the current season, but keep in mind the fandom has been saying this stuff since as early as season 2. Besides, the recent episode while mediocre, wasn't THAT bad.

Honestly, the issue is that the season as a whole feels very Fillerish and phoned in. Its not Season 3 bad, but its really trailing on the end of the seasons IMO-- I'd rank it as the second worst season next to S3 (S4->S2->S1->S5->S6->S3). With a large amount of the crew having left, and the ones we have left seeming to be missing that spark (Haber honestly seems like he doesn't care at all and views it as just a job instead of having a passion for the world) that it used to have with people like larson or Renzetti or Faust.

Now, I don't think its jumped the shark: as I said before, it hasn't changed from its core concept IMO, its just a rot feel. But I just don't have much faith in it to turn itself around.

Somewhat Ironic, as, while I'm still very hesitant about EQG as a whole, the trailers for LOE have been drastically better than FG for building hype for it.

I would honestly say so. I now have very little faith that season 6 can be turned around and I will likely end up considering it to be the worst season of the show. 

The quality just isn't there anymore, and only comes in short bursts. I feel like what we're seeing now is the same type of transition that occurred between pre-movie Spongebob and post-movie Spongebob.  :sunny:

What do you think the odds are of them making a GOH show/spin off at the moment with their current level of effort into the show?

Nope. Next question.  ^_^

*Shrugs* Long-running shows ALWAYS have a run of a few poor episodes, or even an underwhelming season. Considering that a lot of the best talent will be working on the film right now, it's inevitable that there'll be a bit of a slide. I don't think S6, overall, has been any worse than any other season, though. A few clunkers, sure, but still mainly good.

What do you think the odds are of them making a GOH show/spin off at the moment with their current level of effort into the show?

I know the question was not meant for me, but i think Clevers thoughts of GOH are not that far off from my thoughts. :P

I am not really interested in a GOH show, where action and adventure seem to be the core theme of the show. because then it would be just like every other generic action cartoon out there.

Yes, it sounds very ignorant from me to say this. But i am in general not the biggest fan of cartoons these das, so FiM kinda sticks out for me.

• Brohoof 1

It hasn’t jumped the shark yet but it has sure lost its faery glamour. Instead of building upon what they had, our glorious writers have decided to devolve it all back to slicefest that has sacrificed action and adventure just to drag mildly funny plots back from some forsaken graveyard where scripts for B-rated horror flicks go to die. Now, I don’t really care who gets off on such episodes, but I hope we all understand that FIM ain’t an essential product like eternally popular bread and butter, but one made to entertain and advertise. Moreover, its formula is so restrictive that the show itself will get compartment syndrome any day now. So you have a stagnant yet initially successful concept that has been milked for six seasons and then some, and you still have people who are not willing to understand why an unspecified and undefined unit of fans thinks the milk’s starting to go sour.

But some episodes are actually good. Yes, and we all get our good days, don’t we now. Too bad shows only have a limited number of episodes.

You know what’s funny: having an overarching plot would actually make bland episodes excusable, calm before the storm and all that, but there is no excuse for a bland slice of life episode in a slice of life show.

TL; DR: Summon the five-legged shrew. It is time.

Surely I'm not alone in thinking this is the best the show's been since season 3. Feels like the show's actually evolving for the first time in years, and even if it's not the perfectly consistent season I've been hoping for since the show started, its low points are far better than the likes of "Somepony to Watch Over Me" or "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?." I don't get why so many people seem dissatisfied with it.

I don't really think so.

While I have enjoyed most of the season so far, I do have to admit that it feels a bit of a step down from season 5 and especially season 4.

I would feel more concerned if the show continued after the movie.

See I think it's a step down from S5 but from S4? Hell no, S4 has the most outright terrible episodes in the show and like only 2 really memorable episodes in the first half of it. In my book the first 13 of S6, there's already been like 5 top tier episodes.

Surely I'm not alone in thinking this is the best the show's been since season 3. Feels like the show's actually evolving for the first time in years, and even if it's not the perfectly consistent season I've been hoping for since the show started, its low points are far better than the likes of "Somepony to Watch Over Me" or "Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep?." I don't get why so many people seem dissatisfied with it.

Somepony to Watch over me is quite possibly the single worst episode of the show, god i dislike that one. I don't HATE Magic Sheep but it's definitely vastly overrated, very flawed and would be no where near as popular if it was about anyone other than Luna.

But yeah I really don't get it ether, I don't think it's quite as good as S5, but i think S5 was the show's best season, S6 is about S2 or S4 level to me, maybe a few less super highs but the lows are nowhere near as low as those seasons low. Like I think Applejacks Day off was pretty boring and this weeks episode was mixed but id take them over absolute trainwrecks like Rainbow Falls and Mare-Do-Well any day.

It's like the fandom got 10 times more cynical and nitpicky in the months between S5 and S6, really weird. 

Edited by M'gann M'orzz
  • Brohoof 4

It's like the fandom got 10 times more cynical and nitpicky in the months between S5 and S6, really weird.

The fandom's always been nitpicky, as internet fans tend to be, but for whatever reason it does feel like it's gotten worse. Not sure how people came to think that MLP is supposed to be an action/adventure show.

Also: S2 > S1 > S3 > S6 > S5 > S4

Edited by AlexanderThrond

No. There is no drop in quality it's just that some fans prefer the older seasons and others (like me) prefer the newer ones. The fandom has been like this for years. IMO this season isn't the best but it isn't the worst either.

My Opinion: S5>S4>S6>S2>S3>S1

• Brohoof 1

This fandom is like The Boy Who Cried Wolf. At one point or another, every episode has been declared a jump the shark moment by someone in the fandom. It's gotten to the point where I can't take claims of shark jumping seriously and just roll my eyes whenever I see someone saying FiM has jumped the shark.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 9

No. There is no drop in quality it's just that some fans prefer the older seasons and others (like me) prefer the newer ones. The fandom has been like this for years. IMO this season isn't the best but it isn't the worst either.

My Opinion: S5>S4>S6>S2>S3>S1

I feel similar to this but 

My Opinion would be: S4>S5>S3>S2>S6>S1

• Brohoof 1

My personal ranking for the series goes something like this:

S2>S5>S4>S6>S1>S3

Please note my ranking for Season 6 is merely preliminary and might change in the future.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner

Not yet I'm not going to lie but I care less about the show now then I did in 2012 but I don't thinks it's jumped the shark. I don't think it has the same heart as it used to however. If they every make all the mane 6 alicorns or give one of them a boy friend or have another season like season 4 (man that was a bad season) or something like that then they've jumped the shark.

Edited by Rosetta Spring

I'm hoping the second half of Season 6 will be a lot better than the first half. There has hardly any Pinkie Pie (outside of the Maud Pie and Spice episodes), Applejack and Fluttershy in that half.

• Brohoof 1

Well, it's always had its ups and downs, but I wouldn't say it's jumped the shark quite yet...unless you're talking about the scene in Slice of Life where Vinyl and Octavia literally jump over a shark, then yes, the show has jumped the shark.

• Brohoof 1

Not THIS again... :(

You'll know a show has jumped when it's CONSISTENTLY mediocre/bad, or more bad than good. That hasn't happened here.

While Season 6 has had some lousy episodes, so has EVERY season. And while there have been some stuff that usually counts as shark jumping (in this case, Starlight more-or-less joining the Mane 6, Flurry Heart), FiM has still maintained its overall quality (with some peaks and valleys here and there).

So no. MLP FiM has NOT ​jumped the shark.

• Brohoof 1