Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has the show jumped the shark?

CastletonSnob

I loved the show before it stated pandering to the fandom. Forget about us entirely. Don't address the elephant in the room of dudes who like little cute pastel colored talking ponies. Also, be very careful with character development there have been plenty of glitches these past couple of seasons. 

And Stranger than fan fiction.

that being said, they may be trying to divorce FIM from Action/adventure if they're planning on moving it all over into a seperate guardians of harmony series.

That depends b/c Hasbro hasn't CONIFRMED if this Guardians of Harmony thing is gonna be a spin-off show or just a different toy brand. SDCC would've been the perfect time to address that but all they did was talk about future episodes and next year's movie.

• Brohoof 1

while season 4 had "Rainbow Falls" which regressed RD every bit as much as "Newbie Dash" or "28 Pranks Later," and generally ignoring RD's growth in maturity in favour of some form of immaturity is really par for the course by now.

Rainbow Falls was definitely among my least favorite season 4 episodes. That said, it was a key episode, and was thus deliberately written in such a way where Rainbow Dash would be tested to uphold her element. I don't take issue with that concept, but I do take issue with how it was implemented, specifically because she was heavily influenced by Twilight's guilt tripping. 

Newbie Dash, on the other hand, is disappointing because we're shown that all of the effort Rainbow Dash previously made to change the Wonderbolts and strengthen their loyal bonds with each other has amounted to almost nothing. And that's on top of how disappointing it is that the dream she has longed for from the very first moment we met her character was finally achieved in such a way that left her unsatisfied. 

And for crying out loud, 28 Pranks Later had a scene in which the mane six scold Rainbow Dash for her initial prank, as if Fluttershy is a little sister who went to her parents to tell them that her big sister was being mean to her. Is that really what I want to see from our main characters six seasons into the show?!  :dry:

Oh, and speaking of the key episodes, another thing season 6 is lacking that the previous two didn't is a season-long arc. No new arcs were introduced for the mane six in the premiere, and as I said, the arcs that this season does have are being largely ignored for whatever reason. I'm not sure what's going to happen with Starlight when we get to the finale, but there certainly won't be much build up for it. Hell, I'm half expecting that she'll end up returning to her town and thus be (largely) written out of the show. Honestly, how am I expected to believe that she'll receive her own seat in Twilight's castle and become a "mane seventh" when she has virtually no relationship whatsoever with the mane five and still feels like an exclusive friend of Twilight's? 

Without a season-long arc, this season doesn't feel like it's building up to anything, which again makes it feel all the more pointless. The first three seasons didn't need arcs because the mane six were still learning about friendship, with Twilight's learning mostly set in season 1 while the rest of the mane five learned throughout seasons 2 and 3, and the key arc of season 4 acting as a "final exam" of sorts. 

Moreover, what I don't understand is how seasons 4 and 5 actually progressed the mane six as characters all that much, given that season 4 frequently had characters reaffirm traits without actually changing at all, and that season 5 quite frequently shoved all its focus onto a secondary character with the mane six really only there so we can see this other character's dilemma.

Season 5 progressed the mane six into the role of teachers/mentors. The map arc was introduced as a way for them to spread what they've learned to the rest of Equestria. Beyond that, I think the characterization of the mane six was simply much better last season. I will agree with you that Fluttershy's characterization was a massive improvement in Flutter Brutter, and I will admit to season 6's credit that Spike has had easily the best episode he's ever had this season.  

• Brohoof 1

Newbie Dash, on the other hand, is disappointing because we're shown that all of the effort Rainbow Dash previously made to change the Wonderbolts and strengthen their loyal bonds with each other has amounted to almost nothing. And that's on top of how disappointing it is that the dream she has longed for from the very first moment we met her character was finally achieved in such a way that left her unsatisfied. 

Irrelevant to characterization. 

Oh, and speaking of the key episodes, another thing season 6 is lacking that the previous two didn't is a season-long arc.  

I suppose we'll just need to agree to disagree, because I never found the season-long arcs satisfying. The thematic rhyming of season 4 was kinda cool, but only appeared in six episodes, and I hate the Cutie Map with a fiery passion. 

Season 5 progressed the mane six into the role of teachers/mentors. The map arc was introduced as a way for them to spread what they've learned to the rest of Equestria.

I feel this development resulted in them stagnating, because if their main purpose is to help other characters grow, they're not really growing themselves. Moreover, I've come to realize that I don't find this interesting, so this might be a difference in what we want out of the show. 

Beyond that, I think the characterization of the mane six was simply much better last season.   

I suppose I have found more examples of flawed (though not poor; I think each of these have their virtues) characterization this season than in season 5 especially, but it doesn't seem all that common to me (especially given that I don't think "Spice Up Your Life" is all that off), and when it appears it only strikes me as this season's bad-episode quirk, like the points where season 4 was tediously unfunny and the overall gloominess of season 5. I suppose, to me, I'd rather have semi-familiar versions of these characters learning something than generally up-to-date (if less interesting) versions of these characters learning not much at all. 

I personally find a point in all the interesting ways the show has been diverting from its formulas as of late, excluding of course the latest two episodes, as well as a good handful of (admittedly underdeveloped) running ideas which have a lot of potential. Mostly I've just been having a pretty good time this season, perhaps because I've grown accustomed to the main characters never actually growing and the show only occasionally taking its main arcs anywhere particularly interesting. Or maybe I'm just on a high from the initial episodes. I dunno. But if you thought that seasons 4 and 5 had stronger hooks, then more power to you, and although I don't agree with your opinion, it's perfectly valid. 

Oh, and speaking of the key episodes, another thing season 6 is lacking that the previous two didn't is a season-long arc. No new arcs were introduced for the mane six in the premiere, and as I said, the arcs that this season does have are being largely ignored for whatever reason. I'm not sure what's going to happen with Starlight when we get to the finale, but there certainly won't be much build up for it. Hell, I'm half expecting that she'll end up returning to her town and thus be (largely) written out of the show. Honestly, how am I expected to believe that she'll receive her own seat in Twilight's castle and become a "mane seventh" when she has virtually no relationship whatsoever with the mane five and still feels like an exclusive friend of Twilight's?

I think that's more indicative of bad writing than them not planning on making Starlight a mane seventh. I'd LOVE for her to go back to her town, as I Honestly think that'd be a better path in life for her: For her to learn from twilight about friendship NOT so she could join the six, but so she could go back and be a "Good" ruler/leader this time over her town.

Sadly, I'm pretty much 99% certain she's going to get a throne in the finale.

I think that's more indicative of bad writing than them not planning on making Starlight a mane seventh. I'd LOVE for her to go back to her town, as I Honestly think that'd be a better path in life for her: For her to learn from twilight about friendship NOT so she could join the six, but so she could go back and be a "Good" ruler/leader this time over her town.

Sadly, I'm pretty much 99% certain she's going to get a throne in the finale.

Starlight Glimmer won't receive her own throne, because she's not an addition to the Mane Six.

large.png

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 1

Character stagnation, spotty quality, a seeming reluctance to take any sort of risks outside of very few instances, a tendency bite off more than they can chew when they do take risks.

Season 4 especially I found took almost no risks whatsoever. I felt like I learned nothing new about the characters, even if there's the occasional new quirk or sideways development. It has its charms and several great morals, but after a while it starts to feel really stale, especially when there's more weak episodes than ever (IMO).

Season 5, meanwhile, was an ambitious disaster, where entirely satisfying episodes amounted for less than half the season, but where stuff at least changed even if the characters still rarely grew. Didn't make it any less aggravating to be so often left dissatisfied.

Sorry, but I don't see it in seasons 4 and 5. Now seasons 1-3? I see these problems all over the place!

Starlight Glimmer won't receive her own throne, because she's not an addition to the Mane Six.

large.png

Hmm, weird,, so why do I keep hearing that Starlight will have to "earn her throne" in Twilight's castle?

Sorry, but I don't see it in seasons 4 and 5. Now seasons 1-3? I see these problems all over the place!

I have more specific gripes, but that's the gist of how I felt. Both aren't terrible, and have their high points, but both left me dissatisfied.

large.png

She's Twilight's little pet project, and we'll just need to see how she turns out. Clearly still has a lot to learn.

And I stand by what I said about "28 Pranks Later." I thought it wasn't very good and the tone was too mean-spirited. As I've been researching some of the earlier episodes this season, I realize that they're not as bad as I originally thought. They're starting to grow on me.

I have more specific gripes, but that's the gist of how I felt. Both aren't terrible, and have their high points, but both left me dissatisfied.

Fair point. This is how I felt about seasons 1-3.

She's Twilight's little pet project, and we'll just need to see how she turns out. Clearly still has a lot to learn.

But if she's supposed to be Twilight's student, why has she been so absent this season? Are they going to pull another stunt like they did in season 4?

But if she's supposed to be Twilight's student, why has she been so absent this season? Are they going to pull another stunt like they did in season 4?

There haven't been many Twilight episodes this season.

There haven't been many Twilight episodes this season.

Sadly, no, which is a big bummer for me since she's my favorite character. She's supposed to be going to the Wonderbolts Academy in "Top Bolt." That could be interesting. I'm still waiting for a RariLight episode.

sig-4636992.large.png

Still not fully convinced that's not just jim being coy.

I'm still bracing myself for her to "graduate" in the finale into a full on EOH and mane seventh.

Hmm, weird,, so why do I keep hearing that Starlight will have to "earn her throne" in Twilight's castle?

That was the staff's response to a question of why she doesn't have a throne yet.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

When did they say that?

I'm hoping the writers can make up for her lackluster redemption if they keep at it.

I heard the reason is Kelly Sheridan isn't available for more than a couple episodes per season.

I'm still bracing myself for her to "graduate" in the finale into a full on EOH and mane seventh.

That was the staff's response to a question of why she doesn't have a throne yet.

You mean GOH, right?

When did they say that?

At the SDCC, a fan asked the question "Why doesn't starlight have a throne like the others", with the response being "She will have to earn her throne".

This can be either taken to mean that she's not worthy of having one and merely is taken out of context due to the question being loaded, OR it could mean they have future plans for her to get one.

You mean GOH, right?

05d.jpg

>on a serious note, I really hope trixie gets a GOH toy before starlight. Alicorn amulet maybe.

Edited by Unlikeable Pony

At the SDCC, a fan asked the question "Why doesn't starlight have a throne like the others", with the response being "She will have to earn her throne".

This can be either taken to mean that she's not worthy of having one and merely is taken out of context due to the question being loaded, OR it could mean they have future plans for her to get one.

If Starlight Glimmer is merely a recurring character and not an addition to the Mane Six, I don't think she'll be getting a throne.

• Brohoof 1

If Guardians of Harmory is also gonna be a spinoff series, I wonder who the main characters will be.

Either the Mane 6 or CMC, depends which time frame.

The toy line is apparently selling like hot cakes so it's inevitable that a show is coming. It might finally break the boundaries of the show's potential if put on Netflix or CN (due to less of an overbearing hinder than Discovery Family).

Edited by TheAnimatorOfficial
  • Brohoof 1

See I think it's a step down from S5 but from S4? Hell no, S4 has the most outright terrible episodes in the show and like only 2 really memorable episodes in the first half of it. In my book the first 13 of S6, there's already been like 5 top tier episodes.

Somepony to Watch over me is quite possibly the single worst episode of the show, god i dislike that one. I don't HATE Magic Sheep but it's definitely vastly overrated, very flawed and would be no where near as popular if it was about anyone other than Luna.

But yeah I really don't get it ether, I don't think it's quite as good as S5, but i think S5 was the show's best season, S6 is about S2 or S4 level to me, maybe a few less super highs but the lows are nowhere near as low as those seasons low. Like I think Applejacks Day off was pretty boring and this weeks episode was mixed but id take them over absolute trainwrecks like Rainbow Falls and Mare-Do-Well any day.

It's like the fandom got 10 times more cynical and nitpicky in the months between S5 and S6, really weird. 

Dont forget the terrible characterization of Pinkie Pie  :P I remember season 4 is called the season of gimmicks, if i am wrong, please correct me. The most noticable sin of season 4 you didnt mention is...  Equestria Games arc  :orly: .

Season 5 is the season of feels, too many crying scenes in that season, the only thing bother me is the comedy is so dull compare to other seasons, even season 6.  

Season 2 still the best, yeah i'm a nostalfag. I cant stop the nostalgia. 

Season 6 is really good so far. After the great Gauntlet of Fire, i like every eps of season 6 until now (i forgot to exclude Applejack Day Off, that ep is so bad). I realize the nonexistence story arc and some questionable character writing, make this season look like a filler season, but i dont mind it at all, does season 2 has story arc? Equestria Games arc, Rainbow Power arc, they are all not that good anyway, story arc is not this show's best trait until now. 

I wont join the angry mod anytime soon, this last week episode bring me back to the my optimistic self  :love: and i still hype for the next episode.  :P

I know, which is why I find this tweet so confusing. If they're just planning on sending her back to the village like someone else said, then I say, "Why bother?" 

Edited by Smitty1038

"Why bother?" 

Well twilight's Path this season is supposed to be learning to be a teacher like Celestia; Its not being done WELL, but that's her new character arc.

So, its fine if they send starlight back to her village if the MAIN point of her existence is specifically for twilight to grow as a teacher; In that respect, her leaving wouldn't be pointless so long as Twilight learned from starlight how to be a good teacher.

Honestly, the issue is that the season as a whole feels very Fillerish and phoned in. Its not Season 3 bad, but its really trailing on the end of the seasons IMO-- I'd rank it as the second worst season next to S3 (S4->S2->S1->S5->S6->S3). With a large amount of the crew having left, and the ones we have left seeming to be missing that spark (Haber honestly seems like he doesn't care at all and views it as just a job instead of having a passion for the world) that it used to have with people like larson or Renzetti or Faust.

So, wait a minute. The impression I'm getting here is that if a season is mainly just slice of life and doesn't have a heavy focus on action/adventure, then most of the episodes can be regarded as filler? If that's the logic you're going on, then I guess seasons 1 and 2 were "fillerish." I consider these two to be the worst seasons of the show (with season two beating out season one by one episode) because the writers played it very safe. They didn't take risks or develop the characters. They were much more interested in world building, which worked fine for the pilot (though, the pilot itself was so heavy in exposition dumping that it made it hard to enjoy it), but not for a whole season. And when they did try developing the characters to maybe let them grow and mature, this ended in failure. (Do I even need to bring up Applejack's letter to Celestia in "The Super Speedy Cider Squeezy 6000?" She may have well not even bothered!) This is why I love seasons four and five, because it felt like the writers were taking risks and actually developing the characters for a change instead of having them meandering around. Seasons one and two were nothing but filler throughout the whole season. Seasons four and five weren't, and season six has had some really great episodes as well, such as "Stranger Than Fanfiction" and "The Saddle Row Review." With seasons one and two, it delt like nothing was getting accomplished and the characters weren't growing or developing. I thought Renzetti was a terrible story editor (Larson was great, though) and Haber wrote a finale that was actually enjoyable and didn't suck for a change, and the same can be said for the season six premiere too. (I just hope he can pull off another great finale this season like he did with season five.) I don't mind filler as long as it's entertaining. Most of the filler in seasons one and two were just boring as hell. (For example, "Look Before You Sleep", "A Bird in the Hoof", "The Show Stoppers", "Baby Cakes", "Family Appreciation Day", among others.) You could skip them and literally wouldn't be missing anything. For the record, I rank the seasons, from best to worst, as follows:

Season 5

Season 4

Season 3

Season 1

Season 2

Edited by Smitty1038
  • Brohoof 1

Dont forget the terrible characterization of Pinkie Pie   :P I remember season 4 is called the season of gimmicks, if i am wrong, please correct me. The most noticable sin of season 4 you didnt mention is...  Equestria Games arc   :orly: .

I think Season 4 is part of the reason Pinkie Pie is my least favorite member of the Mane Six. It feels like she's been stripped of her charm and Flanderized from Season 4 onwards.

Season 5 is the season of feels, too many crying scenes in that season, the only thing bother me is the comedy is so dull compare to other seasons, even season 6. 

If it hadn't been for The Cutie Re-Mark, Season 5 would've surpassed Season 2 as my favorite season of FiM. As it stands, Season 5 is a close second.

Season 2 still the best, yeah i'm a nostalfag. I cant stop the nostalgia.

I miss Season 2. While I started watching FiM all the way back in 2011, Season 2 was the season that really got me into MLP.

Season 6 is really good so far. After the great Gauntlet of Fire, i like every eps of season 6 until now (i forgot to exclude Applejack Day Off, that ep is so bad).

Yeah, Season 6 has been good overall, but it hasn't really "wowed" me yet. Season 6 reminds me of a cheeseburger: it's tasty and filling, but it won't knock your socks off, either.

I know, which is why I find this tweet so confusing. If they're just planning on sending her back to the village like someone else said, then I say, "Why bother?" 

I find myself asking that question a lot in relation to Starlight Glimmer. It's a shame, too: if the writers had improved her backstory and handled her redemption better, I think Starlight Glimmer wouldn't be as polarizing of a character as she is.

I think Season 4 is part of the reason Pinkie Pie is my least favorite member of the Mane Six. It feels like she's been stripped of her charm and Flanderized from Season 4 onwards.

If it hadn't been for The Cutie Re-Mark, Season 5 would've surpassed Season 2 as my favorite season of FiM. As it stands, Season 5 is a close second.

I miss Season 2. While I started watching FiM all the way back in 2011, Season 2 was the season that really got me into MLP.

I thought Pinkie Pie was written very well in seasons 4 and 5, despite her behavior in "Filli Vanilli." Up until her character growth in those seasons, I hated her becaise I found her annoying as hell. But now that she's matured, I'm starting to like her more.

Yeah, Season 6 has been good overall, but it hasn't really "wowed" me yet. Season 6 reminds me of a cheeseburger: it's tasty and filling, but it won't knock your socks off, either.

Funny enough, this is how I felt about seasons 1-3. The show didn't get really good until season 4.

I find myself asking that question a lot in relation to Starlight Glimmer. It's a shame, too: if the writers had improved her backstory and handled her redemption better, I think Starlight Glimmer wouldn't be as polarizing of a character as she is.

For the record, I really love Starlight Glimmer. Regarding her absence this season, it's because the staff can't get her voice actress, Kelly Sheridan, as a regular cast member; they can only get her to record her lines every few episodes. While her backstory was crap and her redemption rushed, I still didn't mind it because I was interested in seeing where the writers were going with this. But I was to be disappointed, as the writers have done nothing with neither Twilight or Starlight's character. But, again, that could be chalked up to Kelly Sheridan not being available to record her lines. Edited by Smitty1038
  • Brohoof 1