Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has the show jumped the shark?

CastletonSnob

The series has been hit-or-miss for a very long time, but last season was when some episodes popped up that were straight-up bad.

I hate to say it, but I really hope that FiM and G4 concludes with the movie.

• Brohoof 1

For the record, I really love Starlight Glimmer. Regarding her absence this season, it's because the staff can't get her voice actress, Kelly Sheridan, as a regular cast member; they can only get her to record her lines every few episodes. While her backstory was crap and her redemption rushed, I still didn't mind it because I was interested in seeing where the writers were going with this. But I was to be disappointed, as the writers have done nothing with neither Twilight or Starlight's character. But, again, that could be chalked up to Kelly Sheridan not being available to record her lines.

From what I can gather, Starlight was not originally going to be redeemed. In fact, the writers were unsure of what they were going to do with her until fairly late in the season. If the writers had planned on redeeming her from the outset, they would've done a lot of things differently and that includes giving Starlight Glimmer a voice actress who was more readily available. It's a shame: for all the problems I've got with Starlight Glimmer as a character, I think Kelly Sheridan has done an excellent job portraying her.

The series has been hit-or-miss for a very long time, but last season was when some episodes popped up that were straight-up bad.

I think FiM should probably end soon, but I see no reason why G4 should end. I think a Guardians of Harmony spin-off would be able to provide sufficient momentum to keep G4 going for the next couple of years or so.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner

From what I can gather, Starlight was not originally going to be redeemed. In fact, the writers were unsure of what they were going to do with her until fairly late in the season. If the writers had planned on redeeming her from the outset, they would've done a lot of things differently and that includes giving Starlight Glimmer a voice actress who was more readily available. It's a shame: for all the problems I've got with Starlight Glimmer as a character, I think Kelly Sheridan has done an excellent job portraying her.

I think FiM should probably end soon, but I see no reason why G4 should end. I think a Guardians of Harmony spin-off would be able to provide sufficient momentum to keep G4 going for the next couple of years or so.

I agree that Kelly Sheridan does an excellent job voicing Starlight Glimmer. (No surprise there given the talent involved with this show.) Tell me more about this Guardians of Harmony thing. I thought it was just going to be a toy line or a card game thing. Have the staff at DHX said anything about it?

I personally think that season 5 was the best season of the show, hands down, but I do agree. I also hope that the series ends after the movie.

ive said this in previos posts (for the most part)

i think the show as a whole is good ( as i got into it just before the begining of S6)

and though i got the story in bits and pieces, and put them into order in my head... i still feel like S6 IS diffrent from the rest, its effectivly the same, but (i didnt know till reading posts) you can tell the writers are diffrent...

S6 has sorta tripped... and if S7(if its a thing) flops... the movie will suffer...

i would like to see the story continue, but i can understand ending it before its ruined...

and if they end it on the movie, i hope they feature the "flare" of the whole series... or atleast the best parts.

I agree that Kelly Sheridan does an excellent job voicing Starlight Glimmer. (No surprise there given the talent involved with this show.) Tell me more about this Guardians of Harmony thing. I thought it was just going to be a toy line or a card game thing. Have the staff at DHX said anything about it?

I've honestly got no clue whether or not Guardians of Harmony will be turned into a show, but the toyline has been extremely successful so far and I've heard a lot of people suggesting Season 6 is a transitional season, paving the way for a Guardians of Harmony spin-off.

I've honestly got no clue whether or not Guardians of Harmony will be turned into a show, but the toyline has been extremely successful so far and I've heard a lot of people suggesting Season 6 is a transitional season, paving the way for a Guardians of Harmony spin-off.

That's really what people are suggesting? I don't see it.

• 2 months later...

Season 6 is over, and my answer is still definitely no. I'd go as far as to tie this season with S3 in the middle of my season rankings, as this is the most I've enjoyed a new season of this show since then. Closest this show has come to shooting itself in the foot was the S3 finale, and nothing in S6 comes close to that for me - I'm the one guy who likes "Newbie Dash," even - and so many episodes this season were actually experimenting with tone and structure rather than straining feebly for emotional highs. It still doesn't feel as fresh and experimental as season 3 to me, but it's low points aren't anywhere near as bad, and it leaves on a much better note than the still-infuriating "Magical Mystery Cure." This isn't a show which has run out of ideas. It's one which is finally finding new ones, and which is getting its groove back. Seasons 4 and especially 5 felt to me like the show reaching its limits and stagnating into formula, while season 6 felt like it honed in on what worked while providing fresh new ideas for once. Bring on season 7!

So... screw it.

S2 > S1 > S6 = S3 > S4 > S5

• Brohoof 1

That's really what people are suggesting? I don't see it.

Its mostly wishful thinking on the part of people who want more action in the series. Big jim has said that GOH is JUST a toy line as far as he knows, So while they might increase the amount of action in the show proper to capitalize on people's desires, Jim nixxed it being a series, or at least one that he has been told anything about. People are loathe to accept this though because the Trademark for GOH lists an animated feature of some type in its description as well as toys.

Honestly though, after reading the GOH comic, there's zero reason to make another series if the tone and design of the GOH series is the same as the First comic they released: Its 100% the same kind of tone and level of violence and action that'd I'd expect from a NORMAL FIM comic or even episode (dash doesn't really fight the "shadowbolts", she just outflies them and tricks them into flying into a log during the race-- and its not a fight, just a race where they cheat).

I would say no. The thing with this season is that it's really different from the former ones, specially since only one of the original writers wrote an episode (and just one), while the rest are either totally new or from seasons 4 and 5. The new crew also experimented a lot this season, for example Saddle Row Review is probably the episode with the weirdest narrative of the show, but it was pretty good, PPOV comes close but it didn't do much with the potential it had, Stranger Than Fan Fiction was pretty weird as well (the title alone is something I had never expected to see) but also enjoyable, Applejack's Day Off tried to teach a pretty interesting moral but failed because the episode was extremely boring, we also had a finale with reformed villains as protagonists, a new dynamic with Starlight, the Changelings were reformed, etc. It's understandable the reactions were pretty mixed, but I respect the writers for trying to keep the show fresh and I think it payed off pretty well for the most part. 

I personally loved Newbie Dash and I consider it one of the best episodes of the show, I agree with the other ones you mention, but all the past seasons had their lows as well and this season's weren't any worse (I'd say season 4 had the worst ones, that's the one season that had me worried about the show jumping the shark, although it was still good). 

My (attempt of a) rank: S5 > Not sure how to rank S1, S2 and S6 > S3 > S4. 

Edited by Baykush
  • Brohoof 1

The show has many jumped the shark moments, depend on what your perception, like Magical Mystery Cure, the tree house, Slice of Life (literally), or maybe Starlight joined the group (if you hate this direction and total ok with everything I said above, you may call it a jump).

What event I stated above you guys consider "jump the shark"? About me? I think Magical Mystery Cure is "jump the shark" momemt because after that, Twilight is reduced to background pony, the mane 5 are getting less useful after they gave up their elements and season 4 got 4 worst episode I downright hated. However, I call season 5 is a triumph, more enjoyable episodes and less worst episodes ( of course in my opinion ), Fluttershy is more sassy, Pinkie is less stupid than her ss4 self, Twilight is getting back her adorkable and side characters are getting more likable and and Freaking Spike, oh I forgot Starlight :3.

Yup that what I think, I considered ss3 "jump the shark" but the show is recovering from it...

Edited by Lambdadelta

The show has many jumped the shark moments, depend on what your perception, like Magical Mystery Cure, the tree house, Slice of Life (literally), or maybe Starlight joined the group (if you hate this direction and total ok with everything I said above, you may call it a jump).

What event I stated above you guys consider "jump the shark"? About me? I think Magical Mystery Cure is "jump the shark" momemt because after that, Twilight is reduced to background pony, the mane 5 are getting less useful after they gave up their elements and season 4 got 4 worst episode I downright hated. However, I call season 5 is a triumph, more enjoyable episodes and less worst episodes ( of course in my opinion ), Fluttershy is more sassy, Pinkie is less stupid than her ss4 self, Twilight is getting back her adorkable and side characters are getting more likable and and Freaking Spike, oh I forgot Starlight :3.

Yup that what I think, I considered ss3 "jump the shark" but the show is recovering from it...

"Magical Mystery Cure" would be the closest, but I wouldn't call it "jumping the shark" so much as just a bad idea with a net negative effect on the show - it doesn't indicate to me that the writers are out of ideas. I honestly spent most of season 5 feeling like the show was way overdue to jump the shark, as I felt the show was growing very stale by that point, and I'm just happy that not only has it avoided doing that, (in my opinion) it's actually rebounded significantly. 

• Brohoof 1

Yes. Yes it has. Here's the proof.

sig-4628485.sig-4628485.sig-4628485.octa

This post is the highlight of my career here. 14 brohoofs. Thanks, everyone.

Holy shit. The number keeps going up. This is the most fame I've ever had.

Whoa! Talk about a "blink and you'll miss it" scene. Well done, M.A. Larson.

• Brohoof 2