Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Restructuring Poniverse: We're becoming a nonprofit organization!

Twilight Sparkle ✨

I have a number of changes to share with you today, the biggest of which is that Poniverse - the organization that operates MLP Forums, Pony.fm, Ponyville Live!, and a bunch of other projects - is becoming a nonprofit organization!

Wait a moment - what does that mean?!

I've been the sole owner of Poniverse since its inception. Turning it into a nonprofit organization means that Poniverse will no longer have an ultimate ruler, so to speak; instead, it'll be led by a chairpony and controlled by a board of directors who are accountable to the staff and community in a new way. The by-laws that set out all the details will be public information and we'll have directors with specific duties like record-keeping, financials, technology, etc.

It's a fundamental change in how our organization is run - one that ensures that Poniverse can last as least as long as the pony fandom does - or in other words, beyond any one person's desire to continue running it. At the same time, it's a way of making official, in a legally recognized way, what Poniverse has always been about: organizing and supporting pony fans in building amazing online communities.

tumblr_o7lgn0UTiE1uwvmjvo1_1280.png

Pixel has been scaling Mt. Paperwork for months to make this happen. Art by SFyr.

New leadership is inbound!

Speaking of change, I'm proud to announce that Simon will be Poniverse's new chair! Simon first joined MLP Forums two and a half years ago, and has served on staff as a Moderator, Forum Team Leader, and Head of Public Relations. He knows how to see all sides of an argument, created our beloved Q&A series, built Poniverse's art and public relations teams, herded cats to represent our projects at various pony conventions, and can execute grand visions like nobody's business. I have full confidence that Poniverse has a bright future ahead under his leadership. :squee: 

That's not the only change in leadership that's happening today - leading this entire organization is a huge commitment, and to that end, Simon is handing off the PR department to writer, plushie maker, and moderator extraordinaire, Nervous Stitch! Stitch is bringing into this new role her candour, positivity, and business skills that we've come to know and love, and will be working closely with the board to spread all that Poniverse has to offer.

As for myself... I'll be a founding board member and will continue in my role as Poniverse's chief techpony.

Cue the personal monologue...

Poniverse is near and dear to me, and it has been helpful to me in social, academic, and professional ways alike; but recruiting community leaders, overseeing six projects at once, managing pony politics, and handling administrative miscellania consume an unreal amount of time and energy. I'm committed to finishing my university degree and making the most of my career opportunities, and wearing seven hats at Poniverse is endangering my ability to do either. At the same time, the pony community deserves to have strong leadership and distribution of responsibilities at the top of an organization that operates many services for it.

The pony community is a ton of fun to be part of and being in a position to organize over 80 people to facilitate communal gathering spots for it was something. I was a wee 16-year-old when I co-founded MLP Forums with Kurtiss - since then, I've graduated from high school, gotten halfway through a computer science degree, and spent a summer programming cars. Through all that time, Poniverse was the side project I came home to day after day, year after year.

It has been an honour to lead Poniverse and play a role in building it (and it is only a role - this whole thing is a heck of a team effort), and I hope to continue being part of this community in my own way moving forward. It has been the ride of my life, an experience I wouldn't trade for the world, but the single best contribution I can make to the community at this point is to give it the tools to keep Poniverse rolling through one generation of fans after another.

Thank you for sharing and supporting my dream. Onwards!

pixel.png
Art by SFyr.
  • Brohoof 29

Cue the personal monologue... <snip>

As one who finds legitimacy in nostalgia, I can vouch for the personal impact this high school project has had. It brought forth hours of entertainment, camaraderie, memories that were formative experiences, and more importantly ... strong bonds of friendship. Connections that, without this site, would never have been made. It is within these bonds that I have found confirmation in my belief that friendship is not limited to face to face interaction. I found this place through my family, and through it I extended that family. In good times, this site elevated existence to that of a song. In less favorable times it was a source of inspiration. What you built here Feld0 was a resounding success in so many ways, some incalculable.

Basically what I am trying to say is ...

sig-4628758.sig-4628758.Ar9N1xj.png

Thank you man!

The foundation is now set up to ensure longevity, irrespective of the direction that the real life takes people all in. This is a great thing. I said this personally to you @Simon, but congratulations. It's been a long road indeed man. Also congrats to @Nervous Stitch, and of course all those that will be there along side you two to help guide this ship going forward.

• Brohoof 10

Never thought I'd see another day when my man feld0 made a post. It's good to see you're still here and participating. (But like text me sometimes) I guess the whole NPO thing is okay too. Congrats Simon

• Brohoof 4

Oh hey, felds made a post! ..But what does it mean?

Well, not a whole lot for me as a member as far as I know. I haven't been able to keep up with all the recent changes and announcements that has been going around here but at least it's good to know that things keep evolving.

gif relevant

what__spike_is_evolving_by_radspyro-d4j0

It has been fun to follow MLP Forums and Poniverse's development up till now. Hopefully we will see some much needed features and rules etc being implemented with this change of staff.

Good luck Simon and Stitch!

no pressure

• Brohoof 5

Oh hey, felds made a post! ..But what does it mean?

Well, not a whole lot for me as a member as far as I know. I haven't been able to keep up with all the recent changes and announcements that has been going around here but at least it's good to know that things keep evolving.

gif relevant

sig-4629073.what__spike_is_evolving_by_r

It has been fun to follow MLP Forums and Poniverse's development up till now. Hopefully we will see some much needed features and rules etc being implemented with this change of staff.

Good luck Simon and Stitch!

no pressure

hopefully not to the point that people don't want to ever come back to the forums. Also maybe more activities and stuff will be added to make people want to hang out more here, since not everyone loves to rp or draw all the time and the other things that ponyverse has, i like. who knows whats to come, but hopefully its for the better.

• Brohoof 3

This is old news? Didn't  we learn this at Bronycon?

Regardless i am nothing less then optimistic. :pinkie:

Well, do make note, not everyone was at Bronycon, like myself, lol. So, not everyone will have known before this topic came up.

Edit: Also, I'd like to say, that hope this place remains the same, if not better, with the new regime, lol. I only just got here, maybe a week ago now and I love it. So yeah, hopefully no distractingly large changes.

Edited by Fallen Stars
  • Brohoof 5

Well, do make note, not everyone was at Bronycon, like myself, lol. So, not everyone will have known before this topic came up.

Edit: Also, I'd like to say, that hope this place remains the same, if not better, with the new regime, lol. I only just got here, maybe a week ago now and I love it. So yeah, hopefully no distractingly large changes.

Yeah I know it was mostly a joke on the fact the was a month ago and I figured they would have already made the announcement around the same time. My since of humor is all over the place just ignore me. ;-)
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

Having worked alongside Feld0 for a few years now (years!), it's admittedly been pretty easy to assume he would always be the man in charge. Poniverse wouldn't have succeeded without him sticking around a lot longer than I think most people in his position would have otherwise. His continued presence and drive have made all the difference; still, it's incredible that we've gotten to the point where the organization can thrive even if/when Feld0 or any of his successors move on.

Feld0 and a handful of others sank a lot of hours into making and reviewing the paperwork responsible for turning Poniverse into a nonprofit. Again, I think most anyone else would've asked "Why bother?" and given up the pursuit. It's been an incredible privilege to be part of a community which has taken a big, bold step forward, as opposed to playing it safe and hoping everything holds together.

I hope the technical titles won't strike members as tacked on and imposing. We're still all of us really engaged with things like chatting and watching MLP. It's not like we're collectively donning our serious hats and hiding behind bureaucratic walls. That just isn't our style, despite that being the occasional impression people have gotten from our branding and organizing. Feld0, Simon, Stitch, and the rest of us are all fans at heart; otherwise we wouldn't be here.

So again, I'm tremendously proud of the members of the community and the staff responsible keeping everything running smoothly. Each person in their own way has contributed to Poniverse attaining ever greater heights. There'd be no dream without you guys.

You're all Diamond Dogs awesome. :)

• Brohoof 6

• 3 weeks later...

I am a bit late on commenting, but this new non profit concept sounds great, and seems to work well. I don't know a lot about things like this, but ot seems like an efficient way to run the site :) I am glad you all do so much for the forum and community! Thank you!

• Brohoof 2