Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP and Olympics? Potential?

ManaMinori

2020 Olympics will be held in Tokyo. Being a fan of Japanese culture, I'm a bit happy. But if pony is still going strong. Can you guys see any potential in the two colliding, whether given an episode or with the ponies (in Japan, at least) being given gear with Olympic themes on them, merchandise-wise?

I've been dying for the show to have more Japanese region exploration (Neighppon, Japonies, Tokyoat,)

What do you guys want to see made possible with MLP and Tokyo's 2020 Olympics?

• Brohoof 1

I would absolutely love to see some Pony Samurai. That is what I would want in simplest terms but there are loads of references they could make. The possibilities are endless. Samurai is what I would want to see the most though. And perhaps seeing Pinkie speak Japanese, she would be the one that would. XD

• Brohoof 1

The 2020 Equestria Games need to be in Japony/Neighppon/Tokyoat. There is so much they could do with merchandise, like dressing the Mane 6 in athletic and Samurai gear. That would be pretty awesome.

• Brohoof 2

I would absolutely love to see some Pony Samurai. That is what I would want in simplest terms but there are loads of references they could make. The possibilities are endless. Samurai is what I would want to see the most though. And perhaps seeing Pinkie speak Japanese, she would be the one that would. XD

Samurai Applejack parody to Samurai Jack would be nice, for starters...and return of g3 Kimono. Of course Pinkie would rattle off Japanese. (Oh please Hasbro, put her in a Puffy Ami Yumi mock PV, like in Testing, Testing 123), visual kei nods, more anime references (I can just see Otakushy being more interested in that than having anything to do with the Olympic events)
  • Brohoof 1

Samurai Applejack parody to Samurai Jack would be nice, for starters...and return of g3 Kimono. Of course Pinkie would rattle off Japanese. (Oh please Hasbro, put her in a Puffy Ami Yumi mock PV, like in Testing, Testing 123), visual kei nods, more anime references (I can just see Otakushy being more interested in that than having anything to do with the Olympic events)

Fluttershy being a huge anime fan in secret would be incredible. XD After seeing those chibi pony things that she has, it is entirely possible. Any chance for Fluttershy to geek out about something is welcome in my book.

• Brohoof 1

The 2020 Equestria Games need to be in Japony/Neighppon/Tokyoat. There is so much they could do with merchandise, like dressing the Mane 6 in athletic and Samurai gear. That would be pretty awesome.

Where did you get those names from? I don't think they've ever been used in the show...

Let's just hope it's not another Spike episode though :dash:

Uh-oh... We have a Spike hater in the room (no offence)

It'd be really cool to see the Mane 6 get involved in Japanese culture, I for one would like to see anime style stuff and Japanese weapons.

Where did you get those names from? I don't think they've ever been used in the show...

Uh-oh... We have a Spike hater in the room (no offence)

Nah, not that, is just that from all the building to the Equestria Games we had since season 3, we only had an average Spike episode. It wasn't a bad episode (I consider Spike at your Service the only bad one), it's just we'd rather see the actual games and use Spike's conflict where it doesn't overshadow a bigger situation

• Brohoof 1

From the first post. They are just potential names that follow the pony pun theme.

• Brohoof 1

From the first post. They are just potential names that follow the pony pun theme.

Sounds great. I guess we can dream...

Nah, not that, is just that from all the building to the Equestria Games we had since season 3, we only had an average Spike episode. It wasn't a bad episode (I consider Spike at your Service the only bad one), it's just we'd rather see the actual games and use Spike's conflict where it doesn't overshadow a bigger situation

I see your point. I'm one of the few people who didn't mind Spike at your service. Doesn't mean I liked it, just means I don't despise it. The only real flaw I found with it is Spike suddenly becoming Applejack's life servant despite his sibling-like (in my opinion) connection to Twilight. For the Equestria Games, now that I think about it, I think they should have done something like what they did in Season 3, where Spike's side of the story was revealed in one episode where he takes care of the pets, while a later episode showed what the Mane 6 were doing in that time.

• Brohoof 2

This is extremely high up on the list of things with no potential. Considering that MLP isn't big in japan and all that. Plus I don't think that the target audience gives two shits about the Olympics.

Also Japan is great and all that, but maybe it shouldn't be included a little kids show about magical talking horses. 

• Brohoof 1

This is extremely high up on the list of things with no potential. Considering that MLP isn't big in japan and all that. Plus I don't think that the target audience gives two shits about the Olympics.

Also Japan is great and all that, but maybe it shouldn't be included a little kids show about magical talking horses.

you're kidding. You're right?

I seriously hope you are, because helooooo, OLYMPICS!!! KInd of a big deal...

Second, MLP is popular enough in Japan to where there are no cafes, bro- like Hello Kitty and Pokemon café's. I doubt unpopular things get their own café's.

And ok, Japan shouldn't be ireferenced in mlp- but Fluttershy's anime character references, and Tirek's DBZ fights can? Because, those weren't inspired by Japan? What about the Saddle Arabia delegates?

It's a magical pony show, but look! Saudi Arabia characters!

• Brohoof 1

It sounds cool, certainly. But I don't think FiM will still be running by 2020. However, I can see a special promotional release of some sort coming out.

The pessimistic side of me doubts that it will happen. Oh well, I can still dream.

You're right?
 I would say that I'm right about this.

seriously hope you are, because helooooo, OLYMPICS!!! KInd of a big deal...
Yeah, for adults. However MLP's target audience are children and most of them don't care for a second about the Olympics. At least those I've met. 

MLP is popular enough in Japan to where there are no cafes, bro- like Hello Kitty and Pokemon café's
It's also popular end after two seasons. Surely if it is popular then it would have gotten more than two seasons?

Also the cafe was only opened a short time, proving just how popular the show is over there.

And ok, Japan shouldn't be ireferenced in mlp- but Fluttershy's anime character references, and Tirek's DBZ fights can?
Well, I wouldn't say that it can't be referenced in MLP, 

However it shouldn't be anything more than a reference. 

What about the Saddle Arabia delegates?
 Not a fan of that. I really think that it would have been better if they just made up a completely new country. 
  • Brohoof 1

I hardly think that the target audience (you know, 8 year old girls) agree with you. 

Second, MLP is popular enough in Japan to where there are no cafes, bro- like Hello Kitty and Pokemon café's. I doubt unpopular things get their own café's.

They only showed the first two seasons of the show in Japan. Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't they usually air all of the seasons of a show if said show is popular? 

Edited by Yamet
  • Brohoof 1

I wouldn't be opposed to a Japanese inspired episode, but do we need another Olympics episode? Wasn't Equestria Games enough?

• Brohoof 1

you're kidding. You're right?

And ok, Japan shouldn't be ireferenced in mlp- but Fluttershy's anime character references, and Tirek's DBZ fights can? Because, those weren't inspired by Japan? What about the Saddle Arabia delegates?

It's a magical pony show, but look! Saudi Arabia characters!

heres the MLP café (pics at least)

http://kotaku.com/japan-has-a-my-little-pony-cafe-1736899014

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...