Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you like them using all new villains for EQG instead of "old" FIM villains?

Unlikeable Pony

So, here's a question: the 4 EQG movies have all had new villains or antagonists instead of using Human world versions of Equestrian villains (like chrysalis, sombra, discord, ect.)

Do you like that they're making all new villains for the Equestria girls universe, or would you prefer them to use a human world version of one of FIM's villains for a movie?

• Brohoof 1

When they are decent, yes. The Dazzlings were great. The others ... ehhhh

Doesn't mean I would be opposed to Sombra or Discord in EqG. :)

Yes, it helps set EQG apart by having it's own exclusive villain roster and characters

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 4

When they are decent, yes. The Dazzlings were great. The others ... ehhhh

Doesn't mean I would be opposed to Sombra or Discord in EqG. :)

And Midnight Sparkle was Demon Shimmer done right, IMO.

And as for EQG!Sombra and/or EQG!Discord: Chop-chop, Hasbro.

Depends. I would be fine without, for the most part. At least they included minor antagonists like Trixie and the Flim Flam brothers. Really, the only FiM villain I'd be interested in seeing is Discord.

But I have a theory that there is only one Discord, and he is only in FiM because that's the dimension he had chosen to inhabit. It sure looks to me as though he is capable of hopping dimensions as he pleases.

Now that I think about it, I would probably be a little disappointed if Discord had an EQG counterpart.

Depends. I would be fine without, for the most part. At least they included minor antagonists like Trixie and the Flim Flam brothers. Really, the only FiM villain I'd be interested in seeing is Discord.

But I have a theory that there is only one Discord, and he is only in FiM because that's the dimension he had chosen to inhabit. It sure looks to me as though he is capable of hopping dimensions as he pleases.

Now that I think about it, I would probably be a little disappointed if Discord had an EQG counterpart.

Except he does have a counterpart in the Reflections comics.

• Brohoof 1

I am actually very glad that they had new villains in EQG. First of all, we already understand most of the villains in FIM pretty decently, and its always good to be able to explore a new antagonist. (Unless the villains  have another layer to them that still needs to be explored that is...) Second of all, I just don't see how the FIM villains would work in the human world. I mean, maybe sombra, but not others like chrysalis or Nightmare Moon.

That's not to say that I like all of the EQG villains (personally, I was not a fan of deamon Sunset Shimmer or Midnight Sparkle), but I am glad that they have different villains in EQG non the less.

This is just my opinion though, and I completely respect other's opinions too. :kindness:

Oh. Well, never mind that, then.

Still, I agree with you. I feel that a discord in the human world would probably turn out to be pretty disappointing...

That's just my opinion though. :)

• Brohoof 1

Since it set itself apart from FiM, I approve. Besides, who wanna watch a recycled plot from FiM but with humans :dash:? Kind of a waste. I'm not opposed of them making a cameo here and there, but let new bad guys take the spotlight 

• Brohoof 2

Since it set itself apart from FiM, I approve. Besides, who wanna watch a recycled plot from FiM but with humans :dash:? Kind of a waste. I'm not opposed of them making a cameo here and there, but let new bad guys take the spotlight 

Yes, it helps set EQG apart by having it's own exclusive villain roster and characters

Agreed to these points; I feel that making up their own villains for the universe really helps to make it feel unique. if they were to just star reintroducing the pony villains, it would feel like they were basically just replaying FIM but with everyone as a human. (On that note, that's a HUGE problem with the other 5 besides twilight in that they're basically cardboard cutouts without any diving into them being different from their pony selves.)

One issue though I think is that it seems like these movies work best when the villain is an equestrian outcast into the human world and not a human world native: Like Rainbow rocks worked so well because the dazzlings were from equestria, and the fact that Gaia is from equestria is making LOE shape up well.

So it might start to run into issues if it turns out there's like a million equestrian criminals that have been dumped into the human world over the years.

There's slight differences in how EqG villains work that suits the human world better. While human counterparts of Chrysalis and the like would probably be similar, a good chunk of at least the latter's appeal is tied to the fantasy element of the show proper. Besides, this allows for a little more freshness.

I would agree with this wholeheartedly.  They already have (mostly) the same protagonists, having the same antagonists as well would leave EQG with nothing at all to make it stand out as separate from FiM, apart from the setting, which quite frankly would not be enough to make it worth watching.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

I am perfectly fine with them using all new villains for the EQG series instead of recycling old FIM villains.

Like what a few other people have said already, I feel like it does a good job at making the franchise stand on it's own and feel like a carbon copy of FIM.

I'm good with new villains. But then again, they could bring in a Human World counterpart of the show villains. I can see Tirek as a crime boss and Chrysalis the leader of a gang, or a terrorist organization bent on world conquest. Don't know about Discord, though. Maybe Sombra could be a corrupt businessman or a historical figure shrouded in myth and legend said to return.

They already have (mostly) the same protagonists

This is a big problem with the other 5 of the mane six in equestria girls. Twilight is completely different from her Pony self, and they gave her a bunch of new character/plot ideas to explore, with her fear of midnight sparkle, outsider angle and different personality, and Sunset is different of course. But the other 5 are just blatant cardboard cutouts with zero differences or angles added to them.

Basically, its like a horribly exacerbated version of AJ's issue in the show of having no goals/plots to focus on or explore which limits the other 5's potential drastically and makes the series have issues differentiating itself from FIM.

Instead of being new unique characters like Human twilight the others are just "there" to more or less be visual cameos of "Hey, buy our toys!" without any real points to explore.

• Brohoof 1