Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

critique wanted My first wacom tablet drawing

FanOfManyShows

This is my first attempt at a drawing made using a wacom tablet.

Well not exactly, I worked on another but I won't be finishing that because the pose I was trying to draw was to complex for me at the moment and right now I would like to know what could be improved from this one.

basic_pose_by_frannis-dada82f.png

Don't ask who it's based off of, I have no idea.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there~

If you are using mspaint (i assume), it's basically a joke. What I mean is, the program is really bad to draw on.

I recommend: Paint tool sai, Gimp, or Photoshop.

Since I can't really critisize on a drawing in mspaint, here are some tips:

Try to make your own style (don't directly copy the show)

Make use of shortcuts on the art softwares (reaaally saves time)

Practice the anatomy of a pony

Have fun drawing, Frannis!

• Brohoof 3

Hello there~

If you are using mspaint (i assume), it's basically a joke. What I mean is, the program is really bad to draw on.

I recommend: Paint tool sai, Gimp, or Photoshop.

Since I can't really critisize on a drawing in mspaint, here are some tips:

Try to make your own style (don't directly copy the show)

Make use of shortcuts on the art softwares (reaaally saves time)

Practice the anatomy of a pony

Have fun drawing, Frannis!

Just to extend upon Virus' suggestions...

Some more great software to draw with could be Photoshop, Illustrator, Sai, Paint.NET, GIMP and MANGA STUDIO. All are available on Windows, the majority on Mac and a couple on Linux. Also, PDN and GIMP are freeware, but there is ways to get the latter for free, but I'm not going into detail.

Have a great time drawing, and be sure to ask if you need any more pointers!

Don't give up! Learning and mastering new anatomy is hard, but practice makes perfect!

Edit: Changed "some great software" to "some more great software", to work with Virus' previous suggestions, which my eyeballs somehow didn't notice whilst reading through this thread the first time. ._.

Edited by Rinixx

@@Rinixx@@Virus Detected, I used photoshop to draw this.  :please:

That's good! But, a Wacom tablet has many features, and photoshop enables use of most, if not all of them. Try to learn all the features the software offers, or the ones that will help you draw, develop your own style, and just play around! How about starting with something simple, like shading.

@@Rinixx, I decided to try that with a new drawing. I think the results turned out well.

sig-4649940.francis_by_frannis-dafji31.p

Still don't know why the rear looks weird to me.

You now know that there are many brushes in photoshop, right? Make sure to use them all.

The rear looks weird to you? Then, refer to the anatomy of a pony, and practice! (credit to the person, of course)

Personally, I prefer the artistic side of drawing, that said, I like thinner outlines, to emphasize the colors and to not let people focus on the outlines. Again, that's from my point of view.

Nice, your drawings are a lot better than mine were when I first started out on a tablet! :)

Another free software I suggest is MediBang Paint Pro. It has a pretty nifty auto save feature and if you decide to make an account on their site, you can download all sorts of brushes created by other members, but that's totally optional. ^^

Edited by Lady Kiriness
  • Brohoof 1

Congrats and  welcome to the Tablet Party, pal )

Advise about anatomy was really good. You should know that human contains 80% of water but pony contains 80% of circles!

b7c0f475730347e881cc8db871159054.jpg

Circles is the base of everything!

• Brohoof 1

Look at this person who uses mspaint to draw Rainbow x3 not bad for a "bad drawing program" Right? :orly:

http://tsitra360.deviantart.com/art/Dash-Microsoft-Paint-Challenge-559944461

lololololololololol~

'The tools doesn't matter, it's the person behind it that changes the results.' -this is a rule I go by for drawing.

I don't wanna be an advertiser or anything like that lololol but;;;;

A lot of features is not present in Mspaint.

You see, for ultimate beginners, it's a better choice to practice anatomy with 'layers' which mspaint does not have.

Also, 'higher quality' softwares provides a bigger and more advanced layout which can be used for almost anything; manga, 8-bit, paint, animation (Example:Photoshop). 

So, instead of getting comfortable with a 'restricted' and 'too simple' layout in Mspaint, it's better to get used to a good software for various things. (Yes, even the '8-bit' drawing you linked to)

But hey! MsPaint brings back the cringing childhood memories which everyone should encounter lololol

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like your second drawing is an improvement from the first.

I'd really recommend taking a look at the guide @ posted, and any other MLP anatomy guides. Anatomy is one of the most important things you'll want to get down when you're drawing ponies. Try to get a feel for how ponies look from different angles, their proportions, and how their joints are drawn. After that you can try experimenting by tweaking some of the proportions and finding your own style- I know a lot of artists who have a much different style from the show but still make the ponies look cute. Joycall3 and Buizel-Cream are some of my favorites.

http://buizelcream.deviantart.com/

http://joycall3.deviantart.com/

I also recommend starting out sketching with paper and pencil first to get a feel for how you can draw the anatomy. I dunno why, it seems like it would be easier with a tablet (since, for instance, you can undo), but I've always felt paper and pencil to be more intuitive, and that's usually how I start my preliminary drawings.

Best of luck.

Edited by PacificGreen

@@Virus Detected@ This should've been obvious to me from the start, But I took a look at a few bases (PS: I don't use bases). And realized that they all have one thing in common (aside from being grey); anatomy. So I tried my best to mimic the anatomy of the bases in Medibang Paint Pro. Here is the result:Eb2cgOa.png

I like this one way more than the others, the only thing off to me is... I can't actually think of anything wrong with it.

Edited by Frannis

• 2 weeks later...

@@Virus Detected@ This should've been obvious to me from the start, But I took a look at a few bases (PS: I don't use bases). And realized that they all have one thing in common (aside from being grey); anatomy. So I tried my best to mimic the anatomy of the bases in Medibang Paint Pro. Here is the result:sig-4682512.Eb2cgOa.png

I like this one way more than the others, the only thing off to me is... I can't actually think of anything wrong with it.

In the legs of the pony, it starts out thin and as it gets to the hoof gets thicker. What I mean is, your legs have the same thickness from the top to the hoof. So change that.

@@Virus Detected@ This should've been obvious to me from the start, But I took a look at a few bases (PS: I don't use bases). And realized that they all have one thing in common (aside from being grey); anatomy. So I tried my best to mimic the anatomy of the bases in Medibang Paint Pro. Here is the result:sig-4682512.Eb2cgOa.png

This one is really cool ! It's awesome how you improved in 3 drawings :D If you don't find anything wrong in this one, try to draw some more in different poses and try to enhance you style :P

I don't think staying close to the show style is a good thing, but it's not bad either, but I really love how you drew his legs, and I think you should continue like that !!

If you want some advices, you can PM me if you want, I would love to help you :3

• 2 weeks later...

@@FullmoonDagger@@ThunderCrush, Yeah...  that one sucked, seeing it now I was really wrong to say I didn't see anything wrong with it, even though that was last month. I drew quite a few images in an attempt to try out art styles during the time though. I will just show one here though. Since the rest aren't published, or going to be, since they aren't colored, or look good.

francis__again_by_frannis-damgw0d.png

And starting to set this guy as either a "Art style tester" OC for myself, or perhaps my weirdly named OC Francis, his name born out of a google auto correct.

• Brohoof 1

@@FullmoonDagger@@ThunderCrush, Yeah...  that one sucked, seeing it now I was really wrong to say I didn't see anything wrong with it, even though that was last month. I drew quite a few images in an attempt to try out art styles during the time though. I will just show one here though. Since the rest aren't published, or going to be, since they aren't colored, or look good.

sig-4712169.francis__again_by_frannis-da

And starting to set this guy as either a "Art style tester" OC for myself, or perhaps my weirdly named OC Francis, his name born out of a google auto correct.

Yoo bro, that's some cool stuff right there !!

That's really wise of you that you made the colors a little bit easier to the eyes :)

Tha only "wrong" things are maybe that you didn't drew the other set of legs, and you should try to really get the back legs right (they are really tricky to get, but once you got 'em right, it's all good), the square thing in the back is an articulation, the thing is to make it look smoother :P

Also, you should erase the parts of the lineart that aren't useful, like on the chin for example, it'll look better ! But I like more the style of your lines, it's already looking way better :)

im just gonna say as an artist who has branched off from the original mlp style to drawing, it doesnt matter how you draw the pony. its your style and youre still finding it, draw how you will.

just have a play with the tools on photoshop too, but from personal exp, id recommend PaintTool Sai for getting nice looking inks and lines. I cant stand colouring on it though so i switch back to photoshop to colour and create effects. 

Well, I think you need really practicing at drawing at all. You can at least try to redraw a few tutorials. I don't really know that you're like me who can visually memorize when I'm really copying it (I'm something like a anti-social alien)... But you can try it. With proportions, of course.

I know it's really hard to practice drawing but trust me it helps a lot.