Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Favorite Boss Battle

IsraelYabuki

post-34233-0-37177300-1472409305_thumb.jpg

In my humble opinion, the greatest boss battle of all time had to be SNES' Final Fantasy 3 (6)...

Kefka was the ULTIMATE villain.

He abused his lackeys, destroyed countless lives, caused the genocide of the Esper race, and had a plan to pretty much ruin the entire world...

AND HE SUCCEEDED.

This boss battle is after he's pretty much WON; you're just trying to save the ashes left behind after he warped the world.

THAT, my friends, is how you do evil CORRECTLY.

• Brohoof 1

Say what you will about the PC and console Korra video game, but that final battle with Hundun was pretty great.

It was intense and allowed me to feel like I had the power of the Avatar State at the tips of my hands.

Triclops.jpg

Triclops may have a 0-0 win ratio but that is the default statistics for all AI bots in Robot Arena. Triclops is the last bot in the Tournament and it was for a good reason, this little bastard was a cleverly designed bot made to slice, punch, and stab from all sides. It was the most fun I had in a battle on that game!

MOST of the bosses from Dark Souls 3

They're super challenging even after beating them numerous times and are amazing at keeping you on your toes

My absolute favorite is a hard choice, if I had to pick it would be between the Abyss Watchers and Pontiff Sulyvahn

• Brohoof 1

This beauty.

maxresdefault.jpg

This was honestly such a spectacular fight.

- A+ intro; the way the dancer slowly untangled herself from the ceiling was chilling. And even more so if you fought her before; I was summoning for Vordt to farm embers and someone went the opposite direction into the dancer. She sure left an impact on me after killing me in one hit. It caused my anticipation for a fair fight with her to rise.

- She's gorgeous in general; the way she moves, the veil, her sword(s), it's all perfect.

- Sad, sad lore. I'm a sucker for that.

- Very, very difficult. All of her attacks do an insane amount of damage, she has a terrifying grab (probably the best in the game), and in her second phase her combos feel almost endless. Her combos look gorgeous as well. You feel so satisfied when you beat her.

- She's so much fun to fight, though; her combos are just so fun to dodge through, and her aggressiveness in the second phase means you'll be filled with anticipation the whole fight. In her first phase, although she's more subdued, she can unleash some terrifying attacks (aka her grab with that weirdass hitbox)

- 10/10 boss music; although its very simplistic, it intensifies in the second phase. Also her footsteps echo and you can hear her breath, which adds to the music and makes her feel so graceful. 

- Gorgeous boss arena; it starts to go on fire in the second phase which I thought was a very nice touch.

- When you finally defeat her, you get her armor and her weapons (or a miracle). Her armor looks absolutely stunning and her weapons, although not the best, are a blast to use.

Overall an amazing boss.

• Brohoof 3

Flowey was a menace from Undertale. Scared the heck out of me. I literally didn't believe it was beatable and thought it was my punishment for not figuring out how to save Toriel in my first play through.

Then Sephiroth from KH and KH2.

Juno from Megaman Legends.

Songi from Legend of Legaia.

Since Avengers Alliance is shutting down at the end of this month, I have to say they closed with the best boss battles the game had to offer (most of the other battles were pretty straightforward)

And Odin is perfect for the true final boss department

• 2 weeks later...

Biolizard from Sonic Adventure 2. I love that one so much, the soundtrack is an absolute BEAST, very few bugs/glitches, and an intense battle that you can't rush nor be slow. It's perfect.

• 1 year later...

Huff N. Puff in Paper Mario 64.

The hardest mandatory boss, as well as an underratedly dark villain in his own right (he's willing to let Flower Fields's plant people implicitly die just so he can have "a cloud-covered paradise," and his dialogue is pretty no-nonsense compared to the other bosses').

Dark Star Core from Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story.

Fawful's Minion does a better job of explaining why this is probably one of the best final bosses from any video game. But I'll describe why myself here as well as to not be lazy.

The fight is atmospheric and highly symbolic of the struggle between Bowser/Mario and Luigi and Fawful. The fight itself is a symbolism of Fawful's attempt to dominate the power of the Dark Star and how catastrophic the consequences would be. The music is tense and serious, as well as being it's own symbolism of how much this fight means for the future of the Mushroom Kingdom. The fight itself is difficult enough to indicate that sort of struggle and just so. 

To sum that up, it's because the fight and the atmosphere are so artfully crafted, to make the fight just perfect.

• Brohoof 2

The Doctor Nefarious Boss fight in Ratchet and Clank A Crack In Time. Something that had been building for 5 games at this point, turns into one hell of a chaotic fight, and does not disappoint. I love the fact he openly mocks you about past events, and some of the weapons you use.  He also uses some of the same attacks from Ratchet and Clank 3.

Not only do you have him shooting a ton of stuff at you at the beginning, but afterwards you also have to jet boot across the arena that he has his butler destroy, while he constantly switches covering a lane of with energy beams. While doing this, his space station shooting a humongous lazer from behind. So you have to go keep up, and avoid stuff from the front and the back, while the arena falls apart around you. This gets faster, and more intense every time you do it.

You have to do this a few times, until you reach the central turrent platform, where you fight Nefarious in one last showdown. His Butler Lawerence joins in the fight this time, and uses his turrent at the same time you fight Nefarious, while Nefarious gets quicker with the lasers and sends out a ton of robot minions. I love the chaotic sci-fi music that plays while all this going on. It's a boss fight that feels earned when you finally take him down. The best part though....

Spoiler

This is a decoy final boss fight.

Edited by ultrairongorilla
  • Brohoof 1

For me probably Artorias the Abysswalker in Dark Souls 1, probably one of the best examples of challenging done right, a fair fight, and an epic one to boot.

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...

The final battle with Brevon in Freedom Planet. Took about 12 lives or so to beat him. Pattern recognition and avoiding his blade attack are key to defeating him. Something I noticed that actually helped me was if you jump and do the cyclone spin, to avoid his blade attack, he'll actually throw you to the other side doing zero damage to your health. This is great for avoiding his other attacks.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Phosphor said:

The final battle with Brevon in Freedom Planet. Took about 12 lives or so to beat him. Pattern recognition and avoiding his blade attack are key to defeating him. Something I noticed that actually helped me was if you jump and do the cyclone spin, to avoid his blade attack, he'll actually throw you to the other side doing zero damage to your health. This is great for avoiding his other attacks.

Dear god this fight was inteeeeense. The entire final level was but this fight alone took me like two hours to beat. I'm really glad it checkpoints between phases because holy shit no. Amazing fight though for sure.

• Brohoof 1

The Final Boss in Yoshi's Island. I've played so many games, but this boss has always stood out to me. It's just perfect in every way.

Edited by Cash_In

23 minutes ago, Stitches said:

Bloodborne has some great bosses, but Gehrman has to be my favorite.

Reveal hidden contents

There were a lot of great fights in this game but definitely gotta go with Gehrman. Crotchety old man no more. My favorite ending is

the one where you take his place.

The battle with Meredith from Dragon Age 2 was my favourite, it was pretty cool to see people I helped throughout the game show up to attack her.  The moving statues seemed a bit over the top but it was pretty cool.