Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Would you have a relationship with a Robot?

Vulcan

Though, on a related note, Futurama did have an episode centered around "Robosexuality Marriage Rights".  XD 

Yeah, I kinda already said that this topic is mostly reminiscent of the same episode.

Absolutely I would.  That's what I'm waiting for.  It's my only shot at a relationship, really.  :(

The thing with Robots is, that they have no emotions. If the Robot is programmed to love you and is bound to you, it still dosen't love you. It's just made that way.

No, I don't think so. I'd rather be in a relationship with someone who loved me for me, and wasn't just programmed to love me unconditionally. I wouldn't be any more special than anyone else in the eyes of a robot.

they can't feel emotions, no matter how well they are programmed to mimic emotions they can't actually feel them so it would always be one sided. so i have to say no.

Just gonna try to tackle all three of these with one response.  I think you need to be more imaginative.  Robots absolutely may have real emotions one day.  They just don't and can't by our current definition and understanding of robotics.  One day there may be "smart" AIs that can evolve on their own, beyond their programming, feel real emotions, and develop desires and relationships that they were not originally intended to.  (Of course, this basically defeats the OP scenario of the perfect mate that "loves" you unconditionally.)    But I see no reason why artificial lifeforms couldn't one day have emotions.  What needs to be examined is why we have emotions.  We understand many things about the brain, but there's a whole lot more that we still don't know, such as how consciousness actually exists.  We know how the brain controls vital functions, voluntary movements, speech, etc, and we can see what parts of the brain are active when feeling certain emotions, but we still don't actually know what it is that gives a being a first person experience.  This means that we don't know what would give a robot consciousness.  This, in turn, means that if we created a robot that seemed to be conscious, we wouldn't have a way to fully know or prove whether that robot actually has a first person experience or not.  It's a slippery slope, because it means that consciousness could conceivably be created by accident, and taken away without knowing as well.  If we can fully understand the brain one day, it might prove entirely possible to create an artificial one that can do and feel everything a real one can.  There really is no scientific reason why not.  Most people in this thread are imagining a robot that appears and acts human in every way, but underneath is just lights and clockwork carrying out a program.  One day we might have androids that are much more, that are conscious, feeling beings in their own right, and are not only indistinguishable from humans to others, but are indistinguishable from humans to themselves.  It's just a long, long way off.

• Brohoof 1

Depends on what type of relationship.

If its a friendship relationship like Picard and Data (Star Trek: The Next Generation), then yeah, sure.

If the robot is super advanced so that really the only difference between us is the way we're created and what we're made of (eg the Arcee fanfics, or Chobits) , then I guess so (not entirely xenophobic).

Otherwise probably not. I do value what the other partner may bring into the relationship.

As long as she doesn't ask if she can eat my brain so she can upload my mind to live with her forever.

Me: Listen babe, I'm not sure about the whole singularity thing. I mean, what if we end up hating each other? Ask me when I'm near death, OK?

And is fully sapient minded, but not a robot with a terminator personality. 

Edited by Bendy

Long Answer:

Heartbreak is often part of our lives, and even though that robot may be the "perfect lover", I would forever know that the person I'm spending most of my time with is just a robot. I would know that whenever she/he would be happy, it's just programming. If she would  get really excited about something she/he or I did, it would just be wiring.

Short Answer:

Never.

Even if it appeared to be sentient I'd still find it odd. It's not real sentience. It would be a mathematical formula to mimic sentience. It may feel like you're talking to a human who understands you but you may as well be talking to a toaster.

Edited by Kayleigh

The nay sayers keep saying that it's not real and it's just a program. Evolution of the mind is programming. Relationships are 99% based on sexual desire and 1% based on people giving up and settling. What's the differnce between bone and flesh, versus titanium and plastic?

However, I don't think a robot could be programmed to be identical to humans. Traditional programming is a goal-focused approach. But the human mind is a product of millions of years of blind evolution. For example, you would program a robot to see food, calculate that it needs food to power it's chemical motors, and logically deduce how much food it needs to eat. But a human sees food and feels hungry, which is a much more complex process, involving desire, gratification, greed, anticipation, etc. You would never give a robot taste buds and then let it figure out what to eat. Now apply that to the desire to reproduce.

Maybe you could copy a brain and tweak it to be loyal to you, and make it's personality perfect. Forgetting the moral issues, that might work. Build a custom girlfriend.

Edited by BronyNumber42
  • Brohoof 1

Robot romance poses a direct threat to the end of the human race. Since robots can not reproduce, they are a problem. Real women would be competing with "perfect" beings with no free will. So many would choose the robot over a real girl which would decrease the population. There are just too many issues involved with robot romance for it to be viable.

What if there came a time in your lifetime , where you could buy androids that look and act exactly like humans and/or *Insert Fictional Character here* . They could be suited to fit your preferences exactly (They would even have variants that look like Pones). They would even be able to mimic the emotions and personality of Fictional characters. They would be so accurate that unless you knew they were a robot , you would never be able to tell....

You'd never have to feel Rejection , Heartbreak, Bickering or any of the negative  feelings that come with a natural relationship. (Unless you want to) 

sig-4632419.photo.jpg  "Sounds Good"- Krillin 

...but it would still not be a human, It could mimic ageing and to an extent it would learn from you, But underneath it's human-like skin, It would still be made up of circuits and parts and nothing you can do can change that.

Would you date one?  

No rejection, heartbreak, bickering and other bullshit? Heh, I never had a girlfriend, but I'm considering to keep it that way to avoid that :dash:. I don;t think I'll mind an artificial couple free of that  :rarity:

TL;DR I would

I honestly would WANT to say I would debunk all the nay sayers with this: there are people out there who had relationships with inanimate objects before. However I don't know their mentality they have with their lifeless partners. A man has/had a relationship with his car (the car was the top) and a woman has/had a relationship with a bridge. The bridge was not one of those tiny wooden bridges, it was a giant metal bridge. A man in Tokyo marries a video game character as well.

Anyone remember "Her"? I haven't seen it but I heard it was good.

I look at Detroit Became Human, that new game from Quantic Dream. I wonder what kind of relationships people have with androids and their intolerance to them. I would link a trailer from Paris Games Week trailer where Cara is assembled but I won't (it's a bit NSFW). A little bit like Johnny 5 right? I seriously hope the game is a lot better than his last ones.

Case in point: I'd rather have people be in a relationship with inanimate objects or life like robots. Rather than they kidnap someone and force them to love them.

Now, would I date or have a relationship with a robot? If my love life ends up with me feeling like I'm completely unloved, of course I would. Mostly if the AI is smart enough to a point that it wants to know me.

TL;DR I would

I honestly would WANT to say I would debunk all the nay sayers with this: there are people out there who had relationships with inanimate objects before. However I don't know their mentality they have with their lifeless partners. A man has/had a relationship with his car (the car was the top) and a woman has/had a relationship with a bridge. The bridge was not one of those tiny wooden bridges, it was a giant metal bridge. A man in Tokyo marries a video game character as well.

Anyone remember "Her"? I haven't seen it but I heard it was good.

I look at Detroit Became Human, that new game from Quantic Dream. I wonder what kind of relationships people have with androids and their intolerance to them. I would link a trailer from Paris Games Week trailer where Cara is assembled but I won't (it's a bit NSFW). A little bit like Johnny 5 right? I seriously hope the game is a lot better than his last ones.

Case in point: I'd rather have people be in a relationship with inanimate objects or life like robots. Rather than they kidnap someone and force them to love them.

Now, would I date or have a relationship with a robot? If my love life ends up with me feeling like I'm completely unloved, of course I would. Mostly if the AI is smart enough to a point that it wants to know me.

I think it's more complex than that. There are plenty of studies that suggest such people as you're suggesting are actually suffering from mental conditions. If those behaviors not only became accepted, but encouraged we would be facing some severe issues that could end the human race. Such behaviors remain taboo and discouraged because they are detrimental to the human race.

Robot romance poses a direct threat to the end of the human race. Since robots can not reproduce, they are a problem. Real women would be competing with "perfect" beings with no free will. So many would choose the robot over a real girl which would decrease the population. There are just too many issues involved with robot romance for it to be viable.

Hm, one; you are assuming that only women would be challenged but men would be challenged as well.

Actually, this conversation is a bit off as we are all basing our opinions on what we think a robot is and acts like and these opinions/impressions vary drastically.

Hm, one; you are assuming that only women would be challenged but men would be challenged as well.

Actually, this conversation is a bit off as we are all basing our opinions on what we think a robot is and acts like and these opinions/impressions vary drastically.

True, both genders would be quite hindered.

Also no matter which way you slice it, robots are created to end/reduce human suffering/workloads. They are not created to replace human beings, but to assist them in making life easier/more convenient for humans. The moment you start introducing robots that can completely replace a human being you start blurring a line that will make it difficult for people to want to be with other human beings. Expectations of people will skyrocket to levels where they can't even be reached anymore. How is a human to compete with a machine that can do things with precision, that never gets tired, that only does what it's commanded to?

Once machines are introduced to replace humans instead of assist them, you are entering dangerous territory no matter how you introduce it.

This topic reminds me a lot of Chobits, I love that manga.
But nooo... I wouldn't trust it. Technology is not to be trusted. Look what happened in iRobot or any other robot movie.

Not even if I was in Chobits world, I would. I'm more for real people, even if we're sorta broken all of us. It's better to be broken together than having an unemotional robot in your arms who loves you because they have to.

Edited by darkwingmare
  • Brohoof 2