Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Would you have a relationship with a Robot?

Vulcan

1 hour ago, Adorable Lovestar said:

Your premise is flawed. If they can flawlessly mimic real emotions, then I would still feel the negative ones too. Including heartbreak and bickering. That's part of love. Without that, your question is incredibly unfair.

Which is a big problem, and one faced by the alicorns too - what happens when you fall deeply in love, but you are immortal and your love is not?

On 5/1/2020 at 3:10 PM, Rarity Gemstones said:

Romantic attraction to robots poses a serious threat to the human race as since a robot can be crafted into any image that one desires, a robot can be "perfect" so to speak. An addiction to such perfection could make people no longer seek to be real true human beings which would lead to the end of the human race.

I think in today’s world, many people are finding a single life more appealing rather than a relationship. If that’s the case, relationships with robots wouldn’t originate a problem, but accentuate a problem that’s already here

(edited)

Absolutely!

I don;t care if it's only designed to mimic human emotions or if it's all a lie or programming or something. I have imagination to fill in the blanks and think it actually cares about me. Is more than what i get in real life anyways so SURE! bring the robot husbandos and nonbinary androids (not wifus though, i have a personal trauma). My only requirement though would be for them to not try to look or act too similar to humans with their human constructs (yeah, I'm refering to gender and stereotypes and shit), not because i have something against humans (maybe) but more because of the uncanny valley and because i want them to be their own unique thing. They are not humans, they are robots and they should act their own nature and not try to be a copy of ourselves because their understanding of things is very likely very different to ours because we are made of flesh and they are made of metal and don't feel pain (unless you program them to do so but... why tho!), I appreciate more and would be curious to know how different is the living experience for them (in the case they are sentient, and if not then still). What is up with ppl trying to make robots look human? is like a god complex or something? My relationship with whatever robot would be entirely platonical anyways because I'm asexual aromantic. I just want a friend, even if it's made of motherboards and metal.

I mean. just look at any of this guys. Any day.

subsurface_circular-3958010.jpg

Also heyo! I'm back since October. It's been a while. I need to change my avatar

Edited by Ittoni

The first thing that came into my mind when I saw this topic was this:

There is a newer model of this device, but this is an advanced AI that when you look at it, is Alexa personified. Just watch the full vid and you'll see what I mean. 

56 minutes ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

Which is a big problem, and one faced by the alicorns too - what happens when you fall deeply in love, but you are immortal and your love is not?

I would definitely encourage an immortal lover not to worry about it. Enjoy the love while it lasts, and find a new love when I'm gone. They should enjoy their life, even if I'm not a part of it<3

Obviously I would apply the same to myself, but it's unlikely I would ever be immortal!

3 hours ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

Again I say, the show never said they were immortal just implied to be long-lived. Which is differet

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

Again I say, I never said they were immortal just implied to be long-lived. Which is difference

sure - and its possible if we can figure out a way to upload actual humans into an AI substrate, we could match that.

Really, you would expect an AI to be able to live for as long as they want to live, barring a catastrophic failure of their hardware. But in another comic strip (Freefall), we find that the personalities of the robots are dependent on the random weighting of their neural nets - you can back up their memories, but if you tried to move them to another piece of hardware, they wouldn't be the same person.

image.png.970c1e04e28d0ff5c951ae0041944205.png

(and to be fair we don't know for certain alicorns are immortal, they may just live a few thousand years at most)

• 1 month later...

Yes. If you look at human beings without "we're unique miracles in this world" and sentimental things, we are bio-robots. Carrying information with neurons, feeling things with bursts of certain chemicals, etc. Yet we're not just algorithms, were extremely complicated, but I'm sure one day science will be capable of explaining how our brain actually works. And if scientists use this knowledge to create AI from our image, it wouldn't be mimicing anymore. 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 months later...