Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Her Glorious Night - An Instrumental for Princess Luna

Valiant 2.0

Hey, everyone!

My name is Valiant Venture. I'd like to share with you a track I arranged with an app called 4beats. It's not the most sophisticated music-making software, but I think the final product turned out pretty neat.

This track is inspired by Princess Luna and her realm of the night. I hope you enjoy it and have a good day/night.

Valiant

https://pony.fm/tracks/22032-her-glorious-night

Edited by Valiant Venture
  • Brohoof 2

Ok. 

It's an okay piece. 

Perhaps the biggest issue is that you limited yourself to the i and the iv, knowing that this piece is in the key of f# minor. I did notice you put 7ths and 9ths in the chords and commend you for it, but you need to expand upon your chords. Limiting yourself to only two chords means you only have two ways to order them: i-iv and iv-i. 

Here are some suggestions for progressions

i-VI-iv-V

i-iv-ii-V

III-i-iv-V

i-VII-iv-V

There are many more progressions you can do. If you don't know what these symbols mean, you can visit this thread here to learn more: https://mlpforums.com/topic/136619-chords-progressions-modulations-a-guide-to-composing-music/

In terms of your percussion, I wouldn't use percussion on this piece as all. The basic kick and snare beat turned it into a driving/basic EDM song and it took the chill aspect out of it. Also, I wouldn't gate that beginning poly-saw synth. I'd just keep it in a filter and run it through a very slow flanger or phaser, depending on which one floats your boat. I'd also slowly sweep the poly-saw out of the filter as the song progresses to simulate the moon slowly rising in all of it's glory. A light lead squarewave or LM squarewave (which is basically a filtered squarewave with a slightly slower attack time) could be used for a nice melody. 

In terms of the piano, it could use more ambience. Add some reverb and lower it's attack for a more ambient type of piano. Right now, it's sounding like an EDM piano. 

All in all, this piece could use quite a bit of work, as it seems that you tried to capture Luna in the piece, but the instrumentation needed work in order to fully grasp her character. I'm here if you need help with anything I said in my critique. 

• Brohoof 1