What did you think of the episode?  

200 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• That was LAME! -_-
    • No; I didn't care for it.
    • Eeeh...meh. So meh.
    • I like it; could've been better.
    • THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!

Because it's more or less been established that she doesn't appear unless it's convenient for Twilight in some way. 

I know, but it makes logical sense that she would have ate the cookies since she lives with Twilight. They could have had her in the background. But now that I think about it Twi may not have wanted her in on this because she feared Starlight might misinterpret things since she is so new to friendship. 

• Brohoof 1

There are some criticisms of Dashie's friends reverse pranking her instead of trying to talk to her directly about it but those are bogus. They DID try talking to her directly and she ignored them and flew off. I think you're right and Dashie did have to go through this. She obviously wasn't going to listen or learn until she was in the position that she had put others in. It's not like she was hurt as bad as they were either. She got really scared but the others experienced actual pain. Imagine actually biting into a brick or getting sprayed by a skunk. So anyway, agreed about experiencing it for herself.

....and give us some Glim Glam! <3

sig-4635129.medium.png
View on Derpibooru (Original source unknown at time of posting)

Thanks! Yeah Rainbow needed a pretty big prank in order for it to work as she is not afraid of the types of things the others are. It takes more to make an impact on her so I had no problem with it. It was kind of interesting how they used her sense of loyalty to her friends to frighten her because it shows they know her well and expect her to understand their needs and wants in the same deep way. 

• Brohoof 2

Hmm...where to start. It was simply a episode about Rainbow's pranks getting out of hand and in so return the whole town gets on the act of becoming zombies so they can get back at Rainbow Dash with her own medicine. The moral seems very basic and honestly something that should of been covered in the earlier seasons already. Rainbow Dash is out of character just for the sake of the plot and her friends didn't really want to talk about how they feel but instead pull an "prank" back at her. It seems like the zombie-esque story was something "edgy" but that didn't really need to be portrayed but for the lesson whatever it was to get their point across. A very out of place episode for me.

I find it strange that the Filly Guide Cookie Scouts only consists of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. I wish they would have add Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon and Twist, they didn't even need to have dialogue.

• Brohoof 2

I find it strange that the Filly Guide Cookie Scouts only consists of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. I wish they would have add Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon and Twist, they didn't even need to have dialogue.

If Guide scouts works like the scouts where I live a few kids try to sell to as many houses as they can and so they split into tiny groups like the CMC did to sell more rather than bring a whole troop. 

• Brohoof 1

I liked this episode. Great Message! Maybe the reason I like this episode is because I have a friend who sorta takes advantage of me and says stuff to get me worried/ stressed out and then tells me "she's kidding" or "it was just a joke" . So, seeing as I have a friend like that it reminded me about my relationship.

I think they took it way too far though. Rainbow dash needed something huge to learn a lesson. But , some of the things she did was perfectly harmless.

Like the Spike/ Celestia prank or the Rarity sewing machine cake thing, or the whoopie cushion thing, etc. etc. etc.

Rainbow Dash was legit scared for her life, thinking she was the cause of this zombie thing. I just feel like there could have been another way then scaring the pants off Dash.

• Brohoof 1

Pretty much MMDW 2.0

Why the hell any writer would sit down and say "you know that episode that everyone hated? Yeah, lets Remake it!".

The intro is wildly out of character with how in S1 dash realized that fluttershy was too sensitive to prank and her general protectiveness of fluttershy, and overall it just felt very weak and unfunny. There was a couple good parts like the Sewing machine cake (Due to sweetie's diabetes expression while she's eating it) and the celestia/spike prank, but past that, its pretty freaking weak.

3/10. Only eclipsed by Newbie dash and AJ's day off.

• Brohoof 3

I found this episode to be pretty enjoyable. Some of the pranks Rainbow pulled were pretty clever, but some I felt also went a bit too far. I could definitely relate to Fluttershy being scared and felt Rainbow. The rainbow cookies was an interesting prank and I liked how it backfired. It was great seeing the townsfolk getting involved and I liked how they got into character for the prank. All in all this was a pretty good episode and I look forward to what happens next. :)

• Brohoof 1

This episode....was better than I expected. Not the best, but I was expecting "Mysterious Mare Do Well 2.0". And while on a story level, we sorta got that, this episode has the advantage of at least being enjoyable. Some of the pranks Dash pulled were amusing, especially the Spike/Celestia one. Her face made me nearly die with laughter. And while I knew going in that the whole Zombie thing was a prank, it was pretty well executed, both in universe as a prank, and by the animators/writer as being enjoyable for the audience. Overall, better than I was expecting, but still not excellent. 7/10

• Brohoof 2

After two episodes I thought were just okay, I actually liked this one. I thought the pranks were funny and the fact they turned the pranking onto her hilarious. Rainbow Dash has always been kind of a douche and it's about time she gets well-deserved treatment in this episode.

• Brohoof 1

I liked the episode but It could definitely improve in a lot of ways

Thing I liked: I liked the reference to 28 days later and the whole zombie theme of the episode

Things I disliked: I disliked the pacing of the episode I felt like more could of been done with the episode secondly I felt like most of the episode ended up being cliche which makes the episode highly predictable

Edited by Ash
  • Brohoof 2

I'll admit, this was an nice episode for me to watch. It seems that Rainbow had the notion of taking pranks too far, even against her own friends, and Pinkie, being the Element of Laughter, was the only one to enjoy them while the others were getting tired of it all. Also, while I'm glad we got a cameo appearance of Princess Celestia, it is clear she was getting a bad case of a repeat of Griffon the Brush Off with being the unintentional victim of Rainbow's prank on Spike. She must have told Twilight of what happened to her, and Spike and Twilight figured out it was Rainbow's fault, hence being at the head of the angry Ponyville residents who come to ask Pinkie to speak to Rainbow about her pranks.

Rainbow's big mistake with her ultimate prank with the joke cookies was telling Pinkie about it. Knowing the only way Rainbow would listen to reason was if she was the victim herself, Pinkie told Rainbow's plan to Twilight and the rest of the Mane Six, and they prepared a counter-prank with the rest of Ponyville. The real question is: How did everyone get their colors to become paler for their cookie-craving zombie apocalypse prank on Rainbow? A spell from Twilight, perhaps? Because once they saw Rainbow admit that her prank was no longer funny, the next scene of them shows them back to their regular, brighter colors before wiping the rainbow filling off their muzzles in unison. Twilight could have removed the spell while Rainbow was still squeezing her eyes shut in terror while Pinkie revealed the deception.

Either way, this was a good way to stage a zombie apocalypse without anyone having to actually become the living dead in the process, so I give the episode an 8.5/10.

• Brohoof 2

OK, good afternoon everypony, and welcome to another edition of "Batbrony Reviews."  Sorry for taking so long to get around to this review, just been preoccupied since the episode.  This should be a pretty short review anyways overall, not a whole lot to say with this episode since, well, it was a pretty basic and simple episode.  Without further ado, let's dive into "28 Pranks Later"!

sig-4635328.large.jpeg

Somepony, help me!!!

So let's get this out of the way, this is just an alright episode.  It's not outstanding, it might have some stuff that might tick people off, but overall, it's just OK, and sometimes OK is fine.  In this case, I certainly think that is so.  The lesson is serviceable, and actually has broader applications beyond the episode context.  Basically, it's all about when joking in general goes too far.  We all probably know a coworker or some friend or family member who doesn't know when enough is enough when it comes to joking (and this doesn't just have to apply to pranking).  This is actually a more serious character flaw than one might think at first glance, after all, who doesn't like a good joke?  But when you think about it, people who get too hung up on joking and being humorous ALL THE TIME can come off as flippant, frivolous, and not to be taken seriously because they don't seem to take anything seriously.  That's what Dash's problem was here; she was making jokes at the expense of others, not taking their reception of her behavior into account.  In an attempt to prove she was the best at something (as Dash is want to do when she believes she's been challenged), she actually proved to be the worst in becoming too zealous in her efforts.  If nobody besides her was enjoying the pranks, what was the point?  Now some of the pranks by themselves might seem harmless enough, but let's keep in mind that the whole town clearly knew what she was up to by the middle of the episode.  This is no different than when the town turned on the CMC after they discovered they were the ones running a gossip column.  It was a collective anger and annoyance which made perfect sense and was perfectly reasonable and understandable.

sig-4635328.1224371__safe_rainbow%20dash

Huh, apparently RD is part bat-pony... HUZZAH!

sig-4635328.1224236__safe_solo_pinkie%20

How is this face scarier than ANY of the zom-pony bits were?

As for Dash herself, I didn't think she was out of character.  Some people will immediately point to her scaring Fluttershy as the biggest sin of the episode given that she and Pinkie had agreed in the past not to prank her.  But consider a few things.  First, that was ALL the way back in Season 1; just because she's matured doesn't mean Dash, anymore than the rest of the Mane 6, is any less capable of still screwing up or doing something wrong.  No one else was around to tell her otherwise, and she was probably just bored the first time.  The second time she was out at that point to prank everyone because, to reiterate, she felt like her pride and prowess had been challenged, and the episode did right by having all her friends point out that it wasn't just mean, but also lazy to prank a pony as easy to scare as Fluttershy, so there was an awareness from the episode itself that it was unusual for her to do so.  Overall, Dash was just being a knucklehead, and I don't see why that's hard to believe her doing, even in Season 6; she's still one of the more stubborn characters, plenty liable to making a mistake, certainly not a Mary Sue.  I thought she was fine, and she learned her lesson more than enough in the end.  It was interesting too that, if you paid attention, she didn't really go after Pinkie Pie in her pranking; she gave her a soft prank, probably for two reasons, (1) she was scared that if she got her too bad that Pinkie would retaliate, and (2) Pinkie didn't really go against her at the beginning.  Very interesting to consider both of those points, if you think about it.

sig-4635328.1224295__safe_rainbow%20dash

Seriously, is RD loaded or something, how much money did she spend on these pranks?!

Finally, the humor, while not gut-busting, worked for the most part.  I was slightly disappointed that the zom-pony bit didn't go further, but it worked for the most part.  I think the most disappointing aspect of it was the title; being called 28 Pranks Later, I kinda wanted them to spoof 28 Days Later and have the "zom-ponies" be super fast.  But no, like we've seen in many, many cartoon zombie spoofs, it was a Night of the Living Dead spoof, and a pretty basic one at that, but it was still pretty funny.  Honestly the two biggest laughs came from Harry the Bear (seriously, he just steals the show when he gets decent screen time) and RD's last bit where she pretended like she hadn't learned her lesson.  Overall though, like I said earlier, this was just an OK episode, but I'm OK with that.  It was pretty clear that a new writer had worked on it (which has been kind of apparent a couple of times this season), but again, not every episode has to be a masterpiece.  This did what it wanted to, and I'm fine with it for what it is.  That's all I got for ya this week everypony, until next week this is Batbrony signing off.  I'm off! *cue dramatic exit*

• Brohoof 10

The episode has a nice little mix of 28 Days Later and The Walking Dead but with rainbows, so those bits of the episode were very enjoyable to watch. Maybe now, Rainbow will know that she can tone it down with the pranks and only use them in earnest for the other person to enjoy. So, not bad.

It's... fine. There really is a lot great in this episode, which makes it extraordinarily frustrating that it's so predictable and simplistic. Rainbow Dash's characterization is regressive, but it could so easily have been made more palatable given the tiniest bit of nuance. Simple moral fable that, for whatever reason, again fails to follow through with the fantastic template that "The Gift of the Maud Pie" established, and a neat genre homage which would have been much more fun with snappier pacing. Review here

So, when's Haber's next episode? He's been pretty fantastic this season. 

Additional thoughts: 

The episode is much less "Mare-Do-Well" and much more, I dunno, "Scare Master." It doesn't exactly negate its own message with hypocrisy or spend several scenes merely humiliating Dash, but it's flat and simplistic, and, while not as stupid as "Scare Master," it is as superficial. At least it's funny. 

What made the hypocrisy in "Mare-Do-Well" a problem was that Dash's friends seemed to relish in their own accomplishments just as much as Dash had in hers, and that the episode was largely dedicated to humiliating Dash. "28 Pranks Later" is much more good-natured, and more importantly, the whole zombie thing was only meant to teach a lesson, and only used as a seeming last resort. Too bad it was predictable. 

Dash was so slow on the uptake here. Felt like scene filler that she took so long to figure things out. Only when something was spelled out to her did she realize it, and that really added to the feeling of simplicity and predictability. Story needed some flesh on its bones.  

• Brohoof 1

After watching this episode, I found it a big ball of meh it; unwinds character development for the sake of a lesson like some of the episodes this season. Rainbow Dash may not be loyal often but she is the element of loyalty for a reason, but the writers have to teach a lesson, and they teach it by unwinding her character to teach it.

I find that this episode can even been boiled down to the same plot as The Mysterious Mare Do-Well; Rainbow Dash is full of herself and nopony likes her for it and decide to do something about it.

Except that they pretend to be zombies instead of pretending to be a hero. I hate it for that, they could've picked anything else but zombies. Even if they weren't actually zombies, it was obvious that's what they were trying to make them look like.

I see the lesson is based off a problem on the internet; Prank videos, they have been becoming more like crimes than actual pranks, constantly raising the bar for the next prank, making it worse. Same with Rainbow Dash here, she is constantly raising the bar for her own pranks, becoming less funny. I did laugh at them at points, at others I questioned why Rainbow Dash found them funny.

That's all I have to say about the episode really, I find it meh.

This episode is one big ripoff of Mare Do Well, yet it completely misses the point of the complaints about it and doesn't understand why it's so terrible. The characters called out Dash for her jokes, but they want her to make BETTER jokes and got pissed off when she put in the effort to make them. The complaint of why the ReMane 5 didn't talk to her in the former is because she went in over her head, and they should've tried talking to her to calm her down.

Opinion 3: "I want consistent, high-quality and profound writing from a children's show that is running out of ideas, keeps bringing in new writers and is mostly focused on light-hearted comedy instead of in-depth characterization or complex plots. his episode doesn't have the things I want, so I don't like it."

You completely miss the point of those complaints with your blatant simplification here.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1