What did you think of the episode?  

200 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• That was LAME! -_-
    • No; I didn't care for it.
    • Eeeh...meh. So meh.
    • I like it; could've been better.
    • THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!

Opinion 3: "I want consistent, high-quality and profound writing from a children's show that is running out of ideas, keeps bringing in new writers and is mostly focused on light-hearted comedy instead of in-depth characterization or complex, unpredictable plots. This episode doesn't have the things I want, so I don't like it."

Hell, I don't even care about complex plots at this point. I just care about episodes that actually don't regress our main characters up to five seasons back in development. 

• Brohoof 2

You completely miss the point of those complaints with your blatant simplification here.

The point being that the episode was bad (RD suffering aesop amnesia, standard horror plot done a million times, no clever trope subversions or plot twists etc.) and my blatant simplification being a poor attempt at satire. I agree with those opinions, but at this point I've stopped caring about the quality of writing, and just enjoy the things that are consistent and high-quality: the animation, the music and the visuals.

The point being that the episode was bad (RD suffering aesop amnesia, standard horror plot done a million times, no clever trope subversions or plot twists etc.)

There's one more problem with it: the ReMane Five acting pissed over the pranking when they themselves were passively at fault for challenging Dash into making better pranks. Rather than heading for a moral like "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth hurts everyone," they implicated that it's okay to get revenge.

but at this point I've stopped caring about the quality of writing, and just enjoy the things that are consistent and high-quality: the animation, the music and the visuals.

All of us should care about the writing quality. The writing quality is what helped unite millions of people to enjoy the show. If the writing sucks, then the rest of the content becomes pointless.

• Brohoof 2

Wow, what an episode, I was like - is this MLP? Is this Rainbow Dash?

On the one hand I totally loved the concept of something different - the zombie theme, no not RD's behavior, really so  I don't know any other relation than resident evil, (insert any other zombie apocalypse concept here). On the other side, it felt so weird on moments and RD's behavior that I was asking myself what am I watching.

Seeing Fluttershy from the beginning considering how little spotlight she has since Season 5 was good. Then started something that weirded me out the most. In earlier season I wasnt thinking that there is any development of the Mane 6 or others, but over the seasons and people insisting on whether somepony developed or not, Hasbro probably started following that and did present 'development' and growing up responsibilities and their behavior. Some who follow how anypony is presented will probably complain a lot and even I find it weird. After all these seasons, seeing RD act this way - way out of character, out of development, like a complete reset was done. The idea of RD prankster is imo bad, the idea of zombified ponies because someone made something with a wrong ingredients - excellent. This is a fantasy world with magic, the idea is good and could have been developed in so much better ways - like the Mane 6 or RD having to save the whole village.

While they wanted to make something different from the Mane 6 saves the day again, that is fine but RD acting this childish, I do not understand it. Also I did not find the purpose of it, certainly not a good way to present RD. And I had goosebumps of 2 things - 1) the zombified ponies and mostly 2) - The consequences for Rainbow Dash

Had this not been RD a hero that has helped save the village and done other things many times, infesting the whole community with whatever ingredient is dangerous and could have had bad consequences for her! Exclusion from the WB academy, not to say  from the village. And then making an episode as if nothing happened - would have been bad. But since it turned out to be just a prank, it was nothing that bad in the end.

I liked the spooky story, I see it is done by the writer that has done the story multiple times through the seasons (including some of my most fave of all times - A Canterlot WeddingThe Crystal EmpireTwilight's KingdomThe Cutie Map and Flutter Brutter this season - good job for the stories and she is one of who made these best episodes!), and yet I didn't like RD's childishness, I thought it's no more after Newbie Dash, makes no sense.. I would give it a 4/5 mostly cause it is RD episode and the story of the zombie ponies, scary, tho I wonder if they planned to air this for Halloween. 

Edited by ImpctR

I've heard people in this thread say that this episode would have been better if it aired in S1 or S2.

That sure seems to be the story of this season. Applejack's Day Off, Cart Before the Ponies, and this episode have all had people say this. 

• Brohoof 1

Opinion 3:

"I want consistent, high-quality and profound writing from a children's show that is running out of ideas, keeps bringing in new writers and is mostly focused on light-hearted comedy instead of in-depth characterization or complex, unpredictable plots. This episode doesn't have the things I want, so I don't like it."

I'm in the opinion 1 category, but I have a problem with this opinion. Seasons four and five proved that the new writers could work well for this show if they put forth actual effort. Furthermore, with all of the stuff that shows like Gravity Falls and Avatar: The Last Airbender got away with, I am beyond disappointed that the staff at DHX didn't go all-out here. (Hell, even Gravity Falls had a zombie episode that was much better than this.) They didn't necessarily have to make this a rehash of "Mare Do Well." Like a lot of episodes this season, they could've easily written Starlight into this episode. Have her trying out some new spells, only to accidentally do a spell that brings back the dead, and they could've done a parody of The Walking Dead. Easily the best part of this episode was getting to see Sweetie Belle stuffing her face with cake. Finally, we know these writers are better than this, so we should expect them to do better than this. And I don't know about anyone else, but the "consistent, high-quality and profound writing" and the "in-depth characterization" and "complex, unpredictable plots" is exactly what drew me into this series in the first place, and I'd love it if the show returned to its former glory. Sadly, it's episodes like this that leave me wishing that the series would just up and die already. Season seven? At this point, I'm dreading it. And as for the movie? I just hope it closes the book on G4. Edited by Smitty1038
  • Brohoof 1

All of us should care about the writing quality. The writing quality is what helped unite millions of people to enjoy the show. If the writing sucks, then the rest of the content becomes pointless.

The writing quality won't improve if we care about it. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and complaining won't do anything. I'm annoyed by people who keep demanding that the show improves it every time there's a bad/mediocre episode, so I sometimes get frustrated and make dumb comments like the one you originally replied to.

Why do I get so frustrated? Because I've seen people HARASS the writers on social media because they didn't like an episode. Some people care too much about the writing and I think they should calm down.

Apologies for my dickish strawman comment, I'll remove it.

Edited by Professional Horse
  • Brohoof 1

I've heard people in this thread say that this episode would have been better if it aired in S1 or S2.

That sure seems to be the story of this season. Applejack's Day Off, Cart Before the Ponies, and this episode have all had people say this. 

Well, Season 6 has more in common with Season 1 than any of the other seasons. Like Season 1, it is primarily slice of life and doesn't have a story arc like the more recent seasons did.

Well, Season 6 has more in common with Season 1 than any of the other seasons. Like Season 1, it is primarily slice of life and doesn't have a story arc like the more recent seasons did.

I have mixed feelings about this, while I'm not exactly wanting a huge on-going storyline I was hoping there would be a theme to this season. So far this season seems to be about introducing tons of new characters and forgetting ones they created. I do find the slice of life episodes here better than the first season as the mane six act more mature. Judging from the upcoming episode list, it seems we are only getting three CMC episodes this season. Which is disappointing since they have the storyline of helping others get their cutie marks or learn what they mean.

Edited by Da King

The writing quality won't improve if we care about it. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, and complaining won't do anything. I'm annoyed by people who keep demanding that the show improves it every time there's a bad/mediocre episode, so I sometimes get frustrated and make dumb comments like the one you originally replied to.

Why do I get so frustrated? Because I've seen people HARASS the writers on social media because they didn't like an episode. Some people care too much about the writing and I think they should calm down.

I see where you're coming from with that. Now there are times when the writing really isn't great, but this is just like the discussion in the "Has the show jumped the shark?" thread. I think some people just don't empathize with the writers and fans who really do enjoy episodes like this one. I go into each new episode wanting to like it. If I dislike an episode, I watch it again just to see if it grows on me.

Every week this season, across the whole community of fans, there's usually somebody who foresees the show's imminent downfall just because they disliked the most recent episode. We all need to calm down. There are still eleven episodes left.

• Brohoof 2

Complaining does work depending on what type of complaints. After Princess Spike was bashed for many reasons, one of them being Spike's awful characterization, DHX wanted to know what can be done to improve it. Suggestions included not make him look dumb, be consistent, and treat him with respect. These complaints were the same as back in the others, including Equestria Games (where the responses to the complaints would begin to bear fruit in seasons five and six). Bronies collectively didn't dread Spike episodes for no reason. Since Princess Spike, Spike's characterization improved.

Off-fandom, complaints helped, too. For several years, Thomas & Friends was in a major rut with ever single episode in season 15 sucking. Starting with S17, the writing department was replaced and added a railway consultant. The result: better-quality writing since.

Why do I get so frustrated? Because I've seen people HARASS the writers on social media because they didn't like an episode.

That's a very valid reason to be frustrated. Regardless of the episode quality, there's no excuse to harass anyone, period.

• Brohoof 1

Off-fandom, complaints helped, too. For several years, Thomas & Friends was in a major rut with ever single episode in season 15 sucking. Starting with S17, the writing department was replaced and added a railway consultant. The result: better-quality writing since.

HiT actually got a railway consultant for TTTE? It's about time.

• Brohoof 1

HiT actually got a railway consultant for TTTE? It's about time.

Yup. San Wilkinson is his name, and he's heavily involved in every post-S16 episode of the show minus the first few of the 17th.

A more middle of the road episode, this. Rainbow took a large backwards step characterwise, and I found it odd that Spike was angry about the prank with the letters (not to mention the fact that it was a rehash of what happened in Griffon the Brushoff). But at least it avoided the cardinal sin of The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well, by having them actually try to reason with Dash before turning it around on her. The twist was visible a mile off, but at least they pulled it somewhat competently. 3/5.

Complaining does work depending on what type of complaints. After Princess Spike was bashed for many reasons, one of them being Spike's awful characterization, DHX wanted to know what can be done to improve it. Suggestions included not make him look dumb, be consistent, and treat him with respect. These complaints were the same as back in the others, including Equestria Games (where the responses to the complaints would begin to bear fruit in seasons five and six). Bronies collectively didn't dread Spike episodes for no reason. Since Princess Spike, Spike's characterization improved. Off-fandom, complaints helped, too. For several years, Thomas & Friends was in a major rut with ever single episode in season 15 sucking. Starting with S17, the writing department was replaced and added a railway consultant. The result: better-quality writing since.

Really??

So basically, Celestia gets totally neglected and no one bats an eye, Spike looks dumb and everybody loses their minds?

This makes me start to really dislike this fandom -.-

Complaining does work depending on what type of complaints. After Princess Spike was bashed for many reasons, one of them being Spike's awful characterization, DHX wanted to know what can be done to improve it. Suggestions included not make him look dumb, be consistent, and treat him with respect. These complaints were the same as back in the others, including Equestria Games (where the responses to the complaints would begin to bear fruit in seasons five and six). Bronies collectively didn't dread Spike episodes for no reason. Since Princess Spike, Spike's characterization improved.

That's a very valid reason to be frustrated. Regardless of the episode quality, there's no excuse to harass anyone, period.

I never thought I'd be looking forward to Spike episodes, but I'm looking forward to the next 2 episodes, which involve Spike. 

Really??

So basically, Celestia gets totally neglected and no one bats an eye, Spike looks dumb and everybody loses their minds?

You're comparing apples to oranges. Spike has a history of being shafted since season one. His characterization is historically inconsistent and needed to be fixed ASAP. Season six is the first season so far to keep his character consistent.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

At first, i was afraid this would be a rehash of "Mysterious Mare Do Well", but thankfully it proved otherwise. And we also got a good luck at what zombies might be like in Equestria (even though they're all fake) considering Spike mentioned them all the way back to Season 1 and Noi also spoke about them in "Luna Eclipsed". Overall, quite an improvement over MMDW.

Fun episode, better than i thought it would be  :twi:  It looks like everybody are pissing at this episode, but i cant really join the angry mod cuz i have fun watching this ep. Have fun bashing this ep  :proud:, even you dont like a certain episode, dissecting it alive is the other way to enjoy the tale  :please: but not this ep, i keep it as my guilty pleasure. 

Well, I liked the fact that the entire Mane Six were involved in this episode.  No invading monsters or semi-redeemed villain.  I think that's partly what made it feel retro, but so what?  It was nice to see them doing something that was just them. 

I loved the Spike/scroll sequence.  Big fun!

Oh yeah, and speaking of villains.  I want DISCORD!

I think if today's episode had aired back in Season 1 or 2, I'd probably have liked it more. That being said, it was a decent episode, even if it wasn't anything special. 7.5/10

For about half of it, I was thinking the same thing - very funny, but RD's characterization feels out of place. Then it got a touch too predictable and slow. 

So far this season seems to be about introducing tons of new characters and forgetting ones they created. 

I legitimately feel like this season is better than season 5 for that, as the new characters rarely take away the spotlight and are far less common. Season 5 had multiple episodes where a brand new character we didn't care about was the focal point. 

Really??

Be right back. Let me get my popcorn. 

I wouldn't happen to be the only one who generally enjoyed Spike episodes all the way through season 4, would I? 

I have mixed feelings about this, while I'm not exactly wanting a huge on-going storyline I was hoping there would be a theme to this season. So far this season seems to be about introducing tons of new characters and forgetting ones they created. I do find the slice of life episodes here better than the first season as the mane six act more mature. Judging from the upcoming episode list, it seems we are only getting three CMC episodes this season. Which is disappointing since they have the storyline of helping others get their cutie marks or learn what they mean.

Honestly, they haven't introduced that many new characters, nowhere as many as last season. They introduced a TON of new characters in season five, but the only new characters they've introduced this season thus far are Fluttershy's parents, Zephyr Breeze, and Quibble Pants. And forgetting about the old characters? What about Starlight Glimmer? She's been so absent from this season that I often forget that she joined the cast. Why did they add her if they were only going to use her for a couple of episodes?

And I'm looking forward to the new CMC episodes. I think this season marks the most epizodes they've had in one given season. I know "The Fault in Our Cutie Marks" is one of them, but what are the other two?

Apologies for my dickish strawman comment, I'll remove it.

I could be wrong, but this is probably why Rogers left the show. People actually sent her death threats over "Filli Vanilli" solely because of Pinkie's behavior. No joke.

Every week this season, across the whole community of fans, there's usually somebody who foresees the show's imminent downfall just because they disliked the most recent episode. We all need to calm down. There are still eleven episodes left.

For me, this season has really sucked. All of the episodes this season have been mediocre. None of them have left a lasting impression on me like the episodes of the first five seasons did. And the fact that the writers act as if Starlight doesn't exist (seriously, she's been so absent from this season that I ofentimes forget that she joined the cast) certainly hasn't helped this season's case. It could just be me, but I think this is a sign that the show needs to end. I'm not looking forward to the seventh season. Edited by Smitty1038