What did you think of the episode?  

200 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• That was LAME! -_-
    • No; I didn't care for it.
    • Eeeh...meh. So meh.
    • I like it; could've been better.
    • THAT WAS AWESOME!!!!

This episode was pretty good. It was certainly an improvement over last weeks episode. I personally didn't love all the mean spirited pranks that Rainbow pulled as they weren't very funny, save for the prank pulled on Spike so that celestia would be spammed with letters that was pretty funny I'll admit. I also really loved the tone and vibe that this episode had going for it.

• Brohoof 1

There were only two pranks Rainbow pulled that I thought where winners. One was the scrolls. I thought that was priceless. It would be in character for both Spike and Celestia to laugh when it was done.

The other one was the sewing machine. Come on Rarity, the cake suing machine was hysterical. It harmed nopony, and gave you a yummy cake! Sweetie Belle even said the sewing machine cake was even better than the cake cake.

I do question the other pranks though. I found them to be far too mean spirited. They were nothing short of bullying.

The Fluttershy prank was just shy of criminal. Fluttershy was depicted as being close to complete respiratory collapse from it. An older, less fit pony might have had went into cardiac arrest. 

Dropping a boulder into Big Mac's cart could very well have ended in tragedy. Big Mac could have been seriously injured. Also, what would have happened to anypony caught behind the cart as it raced uncontrolled down hill?

The skunk for Cranky Doodle was just a mean spirited chemical attack. If Ponyville has a police force, Cranky should have called the cops on her. At the very least, Rainbow legally speaking, committed breaking and entering reaching in to replace the "rug" with a skunk.

There were only two pranks Rainbow pulled that I thought where winners. One was the scrolls. I thought that was priceless. It would be in character for both Spike and Celestia to laugh when it was done.

The other one was the sewing machine. Come on Rarity, the cake suing machine was hysterical. It harmed nopony, and gave you a yummy cake! Sweetie Belle even said the sewing machine cake was even better than the cake cake.

I do question the other pranks though. I found them to be far too mean spirited. They were nothing short of bullying.

The Fluttershy prank was just shy of criminal. Fluttershy was depicted as being close to complete respiratory collapse from it. An older, less fit pony might have had went into cardiac arrest. 

Dropping a boulder into Big Mac's cart could very well have ended in tragedy. Big Mac could have been seriously injured. Also, what would have happened to anypony caught behind the cart as it raced uncontrolled down hill?

The skunk for Cranky Doodle was just a mean spirited chemical attack. If Ponyville has a police force, Cranky should have called the cops on her. At the very least, Rainbow legally speaking, committed breaking and entering reaching in to replace the "rug" with a skunk.

you have some great points... but with what you said about cranky, could also apply to apple jack... BnE and all... but that "prank" was a good one, not too bad, and has sorta gives props to the old high school / collage pranks...(rebuilding a car, commonly a taxi, in the office, on the roof, or other random locations) and AJ was sorta asking for it, with all the alarms and such...btw an observant person would have noticed something off, and would not have just fallen in... though it does make for a comical appearance.

I originally liked the ep, but the more posts people put up, the more the side of me that hated seeing dash go through season 6( as shes one of my favs) and I wonder if they will give me more of what I want ( Loyal Dash) and less of what they keep producing...(trash crash)... if Hasbro keeps this up, I hope they stay away from my other favs...

• Brohoof 1

Through the whole episode Rainbow Dash was acting like a jerk. I even questioned why scootaloo was so obsessed with this self-absorbed pegasus. Then I started questioning why the town had the element of laughter try to knock some sense into Rainbow Dash... As soon as I saw Pinkie in bed, I knew this was going to end the same as mysterious mare do well. The somewhat reasonable and sensible ones giving Dash a taste of her own medicine...But...Cmon!! The whole zombie pony thing was pretty awesome bordering on weird, bordering on stupid. I was waiting for a zombie pony episode but in my opinion, this episode could've probably been a little better. The plot was a little far-fetched and the whole cookies thing was kinda....silly. Overall, the episode wasn't bad. Just a few minor changes and it would be awesomazingtasic! B)

Through the whole episode Rainbow Dash was acting like a jerk. I even questioned why scootaloo was so obsessed with this self-absorbed pegasus. Then I started questioning why the town had the element of laughter try to knock some sense into Rainbow Dash... As soon as I saw Pinkie in bed, I knew this was going to end the same as mysterious mare do well. The somewhat reasonable and sensible ones giving Dash a taste of her own medicine...But...Cmon!! The whole zombie pony thing was pretty awesome bordering on weird, bordering on stupid. I was waiting for a zombie pony episode but in my opinion, this episode could've probably been a little better. The plot was a little far-fetched and the whole cookies thing was kinda....silly. Overall, the episode wasn't bad. Just a few minor changes and it would be awesomazingtasic! B)

The cake was delicious though!!

here is a question, was the cake that pranked rarity ( the cake cake, not the sewing machine) actually trapped? or did rainbow predict that Rarity would think the normal cake was trapped so only the sewing machine was actually trapped?

here is a question, was the cake that pranked rarity ( the cake cake, not the sewing machine) actually trapped? or did rainbow predict that Rarity would think the normal cake was trapped so only the sewing machine was actually trapped?

My thinking is it wasn't trapped, and Rainbow knew Rarity well enough that she would avoid the cake altogether. Sweetie Belle certainly didn't have any ill effects from eating the cake, but I suppose we can only speculate whether the cake was really booby trapped if somepony attempted to get the uniform off the cake topper.

It's actually a good thing this wasn't a Pinkie Pie episode. Had it been that way, it certainly would've been worse. How it could've been worse is that at the end, Pinkie's whole life would have been affected by it, and she wouldn't be her normal self at all anymore. Sure, Pinkie's immature and all, but Rainbow Dash is also an expert on pranking.

you have some great points... but with what you said about cranky, could also apply to apple jack... BnE and all... but that "prank" was a good one, not too bad, and has sorta gives props to the old high school / collage pranks...(rebuilding a car, commonly a taxi, in the office, on the roof, or other random locations) and AJ was sorta asking for it, with all the alarms and such...btw an observant person would have noticed something off, and would not have just fallen in... though it does make for a comical appearance.

I originally liked the ep, but the more posts people put up, the more the side of me that hated seeing dash go through season 6( as shes one of my favs) and I wonder if they will give me more of what I want ( Loyal Dash) and less of what they keep producing...(trash crash)... if Hasbro keeps this up, I hope they stay away from my other favs...

I forgot about the AJ prank, even if RD had to break in for it. That one too was a winner. Applejack laid down the gauntlet (horseshoe?) herself. She should have expected Rainbow to raise to the occasion. Besides, I would think that the mane six would each be allowed to enter their friend's homes. They're shown to be that close. Rainbow has never been shown to have any interaction with Cranky at all. I do see a difference there.

• Brohoof 1

This episode was kinda.. meh? I think that's the right term? .. for me. I mean, I really hate pranks and zombies, so mixing the two was a bit.. not great for me. Not in like a freaky way, more like annoying. That being said, it's not a bad episode overall. Just not for me. I can see the appeal to others, but not for me.

Not the best, but not the worst.. so, meh.  :adorkable: 

I forgot about the AJ prank, even if RD had to break in for it. That one too was a winner. Applejack laid down the gauntlet (horseshoe?) herself. She should have expected Rainbow to raise to the occasion. Besides, I would think that the mane six would each be allowed to enter their friend's homes. They're shown to be that close. Rainbow has never been shown to have any interaction with Cranky at all. I do see a difference there.

ya know, I didn't think about how "close" they were, AJ and RD... so I could see how normally AJ would let RD in... but with the traps, that should have been an indication of AJ's desire for RD to not come in...

also, in the MLP FIM (possibly all mlp?) forgiveness is everywhere...

look at Discore, Trixie and starlight glimmer... they were once bad. now, because of forgiveness, they are part of the "family"...

so even if we (the fandom) disagrees with how RD acts, by the end of the episode, they all have forgiven her...(unless devs add in a revenge plot...NOOO)

• Brohoof 1

2 minutes in and i'm like 'Uh Pinkie Pie your the one who said "oh we can't prank Fluttershy she way to sensitive" Remember season 1, gilda episode..no ..just act like that never happened...curse you McCarthy!

Because it's more or less been established that she doesn't appear unless it's convenient for Twilight in some way. 

*Shoves starlight into the closet* "Back in you go tool"

I hadn't even thought of that.  I had heard something about some of the episodes being out of chronological order, though.  That's very interesting.  It would explain a lot.  Well, congratulations, Truffles: you have continued your trend of making me feel moderately better about an episode that I was rather upset about.  Thanks!  :)

You're welcome! I wish the fans didn't have to come up with explanations for why various characters have regressed or aren't present, though.  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Good episode. I liked how things got a little dark.

Definitely the cutest zombies ever.

Agreed, even though I still have my questions as to how they did the discoloration and unkempt manes and tails since they never revealed how they did that anyway.

Many people, myself included, have noticed the similarities between this week’s episode and “The Mysterious Mare do Well.” When reading through the forum thread, you can’t go far before someone pipes in that “This episode is the Mysterious Mare Do Well 2.0” or alternatively “This episode isn’t another Mysterious Mare Do Well, but an improvement.” Nowhere do you find any pony who thinks that “The Mysterious Mare Do Well” might actually be a good episode, which means the episode’s negative reputation is never disputed.

This is problematic, because not only is it impossible to conclude that the episode is terrible without any evidence or reasoning (which the majority have somehow forgotten to include altogether), but people like myself actually enjoy the episode and think that it’s a good one. Mind you, I too must provide my reasoning, so here’s why I find the MMDW to be quite enjoyable. The episode begins with Rainbow Dash stroking her ego a little, but also earnestly saving others from danger when something goes awry. When she gains even more attention for her heroism, she doesn’t soak up this attention immediately, but stays humble, saying she was just in the right spot at the right time. Thus, the audience knows that while she might be a little egotistical at times, at heart she’s isn’t, it’s a performance that she takes on (and as Twilight points out, Dash is pretty awesome at the end of the day). This gives Rainbow’s character an enjoyable contrast: she both loves the performance but also doesn’t depend upon it; she’s just out there to help other ponies. However, later on Rainbow becomes too swept away with the act and starts caring less about the actual heroism and more about the fame. This is a reasonable mistake, as many of us go through a fame or popularity obsession, which makes the conflict relatable. The rest of the Mane 6 try to help Rainbow get back on track, by giving her a role model to look up to, the Mysterious Mare Do Well. If Rainbow Dash remembered her original intentions, she would have no problem with this; after all initially she was just saving others to help out.

Instead, Rainbow Dash’s hunger for fame brings out the worst in her (as it can for celebrities in real life), and she takes it out on the Mysterious Mare Do Well. Only after jumping on her and realizing Mare Do Well is her friends in disguise does Rainbow Dash finally realize her misplaced motivation was the culprit. This is a really neat twist which makes it so that Rainbow Dash essentially teaches herself the lesson (the rest of the Mane 6 only catalyzed the reaction). Thus, “The Mysterious Mare Do Well” as a whole provides a fascinating look on Rainbow Dash’s psyche as well as the dangers of pursuing fame, and I see no reason why to discount it as an enjoyable episode.

Of course, there are a few who provide arguments for why they find “The Mysterious Mare-do-well bad episode.

What made the hypocrisy in "Mare-Do-Well" a problem was that Dash's friends seemed to relish in their own accomplishments just as much as Dash had in hers, and that the episode was largely dedicated to humiliating Dash. "28 Pranks Later" is much more good-natured, and more importantly, the whole zombie thing was only meant to teach a lesson, and only used as a seeming last resort. Too bad it was predictable. 

I want to thank Alexander here for providing his reasons, though I disagree with his condemnation of the Mysterious Mare Do Well on the basis of hypocrisy. I do not think the Mane 6 are ‘relishing in their own accomplishments’ in this scene. It’s true that they are technically praising themselves, but what they’re really trying to do is convince Dash that heroism need not be egoism, and they do this by focusing their attention on the Mysterious Mare Do Well, who’s selfless (as a heroic performance anyways). They only praise Mare Do Well to sell the act, and not because they wanted to be the focus of praise (which is was what Dash exclusively did).

I also disagree that the episode was dedicated to humiliating Dash; the only reason she ended up “humiliated” was due to her own actions, and as the Mane 6 immediately forgave her afterwards, I hardly think it would leave a lasting effect on Dash (Rainbow doesn’t seem like the kind of girl to hold a grudge, unless it’s about winning some sporting event).

But getting back to the episode at hand, I fully agree with Alexander here. There can be no doubt of intention in this later episode, though I’d also say the same for “the Mysterious Mare Do Well.” The zombies are predictable, but again, if you’re going to rewatch episodes many times like I do, predictability isn’t much of an issue (it is, however, a lot of fun to see zombie ponies).

Also, some other random thoughts

I'd like to linger for a moment on this idea of them focusing on the wrong things.  I'd like to see this show explore bigger, more meaningful stories.  I completely understand that a central theme of the series is slice of life, everyday friendship lessons and I'm all for that, but even Faust's original vision was an even balance of slice of life and adventure.  Now, I'm not saying that every other episode needs to be some epic, huge-ass adventure.  (The Pony: An Unexpected Journey.  Although that could be good, too.)  No, I'm merely suggesting that they make more of an effort to explore and develop their careers, goals, etc.  So far this season, we should have had the Griffonstone friendship summit, a Flutteryshy performing/singing episode, and another 'bolt episode to show how Dashie's new career is taking shape.  Instead we get Daring Do Con (which wasn't too bad, though), boring soapbox racers ( :eww: ), and dopey pranks ( :dry: ).  The show is literally bursting at the seams with enormous potential, but they just keep brushing aside and choosing rather bland, throwaway stories.  That's how I see it, anyway.

I like this part of Justin’s comment (check out the link for the full thing), because it’s less small about small nitpick details and more about the larger picture as a whole. However, I do want to point out that in the last several seasons, the show’s shifted in a direction much like what Justin’s talking; episodes like “The Crystalling,” “On Your Marks,” “Gauntlet of Fire,” “No Second Prances,” “Newbie Dash,” “The Saddle Row Review,” “Flutter Brutter,” and “Spice Up Your Life” all are more adventure/career/development focused than normal slice of life, and they make up 3/5ths of the season thus far. Really, there haven’t been many light-hearted episodes focused on just the mane 6, and as they are what I enjoy most about the show, I’m quite happy with an episode that’s primarily focused on something less serious, like pranking.

That said, I agree that among the more slice of life episodes, there could be a better focus. In episodes like “The Cart before the Ponies,” one wonders why the writers chose to tell such a straight-to-the-point story, as opposed to something with a little more pizazz. Like, why tell this story as opposed to something else? However, I don’t have this problem with “28 Pranks Later” as all the pranks in this episode, especially the zombies, add a lot of fun to this episode, making it enjoyable even if the moral isn’t the most stellar.

But let me flip this same criticism on the adventure/career episodes as well. Could they have a better focus? I know many in this fandom enjoyed “The Saddle Row Review,” but it’s mostly for the different style and humor (which was merely okay in my book). The narrative of the episode itself is kind of boring; the mane 6 go in, screw things up, and then immediately fix them without any real consequence, so despite this being a major land mark in Rarity’s career, it doesn’t really add anything thematically. There’s not really any conflict, and correspondingly there’s no lesson learned. For this reason, I don’t think the type of story (adventure, slice of life, career development) determines how good the episode is.

As always, these and other thoughts of mine can be found @ aboutthemponies.tumblr.com
  • Brohoof 3

i would quote the previos post... but its a long read. and no need to see it X2.

i will say i agree with what brambleshadow4 says... and i would add, if you look for fault you will see it... because nothing is perfect, unless its born of chaos...(example: finding 100 dollars when you "need" it)

I want to thank Alexander here for providing his reasons, though I disagree with his condemnation of the Mysterious Mare Do Well on the basis of hypocrisy. I do not think the Mane 6 are ‘relishing in their own accomplishments’ in this scene. It’s true that they are technically praising themselves, but what they’re really trying to do is convince Dash that heroism need not be egoism, and they do this by focusing their attention on the Mysterious Mare Do Well, who’s selfless (as a heroic performance anyways). They only praise Mare Do Well to sell the act, and not because they wanted to be the focus of praise (which is was what Dash exclusively did). 

I also disagree that the episode was dedicated to humiliating Dash; the only reason she ended up “humiliated” was due to her own actions, and as the Mane 6 immediately forgave her afterwards, I hardly think it would leave a lasting effect on Dash (Rainbow doesn’t seem like the kind of girl to hold a grudge, unless it’s about winning some sporting event).

I want to explain a little better. I feel "The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well" is pointlessly mean-spirited primarily because a good chunk of the running time is devoted to depicting Rainbow Dash at her worst, and increasingly having her ego cause problems. One later scene, where she struggles to open a jar of peanut butter, feels actively hostile towards her, because she is humiliated solely for the crime of taking pride in her accomplishments. Why does so much screen time need to be devoted to Dash making an ass of herself? Why does just as much need to be devoted to Dash utterly embarrassing herself? I can see how this could tie into a lesson about fame going to your head, but I don't find Rainbow Dash's arrogance fun in this episode, and the overwhelming vibe I've gotten in the past is that the episode is revelling in taking Dash down a peg way beyond what is necessary. In retrospect, her arrogance at least makes some sense given all of the positive feedback, but I don't really want to see the show bring out the worst in her just to knock her down over and over again. To me, it feels mean-spirited, and I find that makes for an unpleasant viewing experience. 

As for the mane six? Perhaps it's just a delivery thing, but it always came across to me as Dash's friends praising themselves in a roundabout way rather than trying to drive a point home. Nothing ever promted me to consider there might be any other purpose to them praising Mare-Do-Well, particularly given that they consistently praise their own part in it. 

I hope this clears my thoughts up a little more. 

But let me flip this same criticism on the adventure/career episodes as well. Could they have a better focus? I know many in this fandom enjoyed “The Saddle Row Review,” but it’s mostly for the different style and humor (which was merely okay in my book). The narrative of the episode itself is kind of boring; the mane 6 go in, screw things up, and then immediately fix them without any real consequence, so despite this being a major land mark in Rarity’s career, it doesn’t really add anything thematically. There’s not really any conflict, and correspondingly there’s no lesson learned. For this reason, I don’t think the type of story (adventure, slice of life, career development) determines how good the episode is.

I dunno, getting Rarity's new boutique ready to open quickly seems like a pretty solid conflict to me. The screw-ups aren't really the point as much as actually getting shit done, and that drives the story pretty well in my opinion. And it's not thematically very strong, but it does have a lesson: when you're selected to do a job, then do it your own way and don't waste time thinking about how someone else would do it. They picked you for a reason. And, hey, I just like story momentum being used as a backdrop for comedy. "Rarity Investigates!" from season 5 is one of my favourite episodes ever because it's one of the few episodes which actually dares to do that, and I partially liked the first half of season 6 so much because every single episode had a backdrop of story momentum even if it didn't contribute anything to said momentum. 

Weird how we've gotten multiple lessons this season which could be best applied to the workforce. Targeting an older audience, perhaps? Or preparing the target audience for later life? Could be both. 

• Brohoof 1

I like this part of Justin’s comment (check out the link for the full thing), because it’s less small about small nitpick details and more about the larger picture as a whole. However, I do want to point out that in the last several seasons, the show’s shifted in a direction much like what Justin’s talking; episodes like “The Crystalling,” “On Your Marks,” “Gauntlet of Fire,” “No Second Prances,” “Newbie Dash,” “The Saddle Row Review,” “Flutter Brutter,” and “Spice Up Your Life” all are more adventure/career/development focused than normal slice of life, and they make up 3/5ths of the season thus far. Really, there haven’t been many light-hearted episodes focused on just the mane 6, and as they are what I enjoy most about the show, I’m quite happy with an episode that’s primarily focused on something less serious, like pranking.

Hmm.  That's a really good point.  It's always useful to hear other points of view and have your ideas...tempered, for lack of a better word.  Your views made me rethink things, and I like that.  You know, one of my favorite episodes is Look Before You Sleep specifically because of it's simple, light, and absolutely cozy feel.  Just because they develop and further goals and careers doesn't mean we can't have that sort of simplicity again.  I think what frustrates me is twofold: 1.) The last two episodes have been simple, S1-style fun, but have felt like regressions in character development, rehashing previously learned lessons, or just portraying the ponies as rather dumb or immature.  And 2.)  I am continually annoyed at the show's tendency to introduce great story elements, only to seemingly forget them instantly, the best example being Fluttershy's love of singing.  I probably ranted about that already.  Apologies.  Anyway, there's no reason why they can't hit a grand slam with a simple, light-hearted episode that characterizes them better, and without desperately shoehorning a moral.  I've been saying this for 3 seasons: I want a slumber party at the Castle Twilight!  (Yes, I know it's called the Castle of Friendship, but Castle Twilight just has so much more zip!  :lol: )

• Brohoof 2

I want a slumber party at the Castle Twilight! 

YES. I don't even like "Look Before You Sleep" (like, at all - Rarity and AJ go together like water and oil) but a big sleepover episode like that would be perfect.  I've also wanted that for a long time, and while it's not the highest on my list of things-I-want, it's probably the most reasonable item on my wishlist. I'd kinda hoped "The Cart Before the Ponies" would be kinda like that, as seeing Rarity, Applejack, and Rainbow Dash just competing and bantering would be great fun, but when it finally got to the race, the context just drained all joy from the event. Slumber party episode without forced conflict, PLEASE. 

• Brohoof 3

Hmm.  That's a really good point.  It's always useful to hear other points of view and have your ideas...tempered, for lack of a better word.  Your views made me rethink things, and I like that.  You know, one of my favorite episodes is Look Before You Sleep specifically because of it's simple, light, and absolutely cozy feel.  Just because they develop and further goals and careers doesn't mean we can't have that sort of simplicity again.  I think what frustrates me is twofold: 1.) The last two episodes have been simple, S1-style fun, but have felt like regressions in character development, rehashing previously learned lessons, or just portraying the ponies as rather dumb or immature.  And 2.)  I am continually annoyed at the show's tendency to introduce great story elements, only to seemingly forget them instantly, the best example being Fluttershy's love of singing.  I probably ranted about that already.  Apologies.  Anyway, there's no reason why they can't hit a grand slam with a simple, light-hearted episode that characterizes them better, and without desperately shoehorning a moral.  I've been saying this for 3 seasons: I want a slumber party at the Castle Twilight!  (Yes, I know it's called the Castle of Friendship, but Castle Twilight just has so much more zip!  :lol: )

I agree in full, and hopefully we do get to see some of the under developed ideas in future episodes ( I haven't looked at any episode names or synopses, so I have no idea what to expect out of the rest of the season).

And a slumber party in Twilight's Castle would totally be the best thing ever! MLP WRITERS YOU MUST DO THIS! 

Edited by brambleshadow4
  • Brohoof 1

Finally got to watching this one. What an episode. Also, what a movie for them to reference and parody. I will say, though, making Rainbow Dash think she started an apocalypse was far worse than any prank she's ever done on the other ponies. Even worse than making Mr Cake bite a brick.

Everypony: Got ya! 

Me: Oh! Ho ho ho! You guys!  ^_^ You are ALL HORRIBLE PEOPLE!  :angry: And that includes you Dash!

One of the show's strengths, in my opinion, is that you can find the characters to be rootable in one episode and unsympathetic in the next.

Let me be clear, I actually did like this episode, but one of the reasons I liked it was that the characters were so bonkers in it. Starting with Dash scaring Fluttershy. Yeah, remember when we called down a nuclear strike that would simultaneously be as slow and torturous as the Spanish Inquisition on Gilda for that same offense? Good times.  

One thing that made me laugh was Applejack saying how scaring Fluttershy was low effort. That she didn't think it was unethical, it was uncreative. And then she called the whoopee cushion a "joke shortcut." I was howling with laughter at how humorously critical she was being.

Another thing that the episode did right was atmosphere. Even when I knew they were all faking it, that initial build up with Dash, and Mrs. Cake, and especially the Cake twins. That was genuinely creepy. (Again especially the twins. Baby zombies are how you make zombies scary.)

Still if I were to change just one thing, it would be that when the zombies ran out of rainbow filling from the cookies, they'd seek something else that's . . . . rainbow. I would say, "free idea for fanfic writers" but I'm almost certain someone's already written that. XD

Lastly.

"I'll just have to work extra hard next time."  :sneer:

Everypony:  :blink:  :awuh:  :wau: . . . .

RD: Got ya!  B)

*Laughter*

Me: Ah! Hahahaha this can only lead to the entire town being dead!  :lol:

• Brohoof 2