Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

RealityPublishing

I know we're probably going to have a lot of, "No Alicorn Twilight!" and "No Equestria Girls!". So with those two aside, what would you change about Generation 4? Would you change the character goals? Personalities? Villain styles? Story-lines? What do you think you could contribute to the show? 

I think one of my longest running ideas for the show take the side of the SFM short, "Remembrance", but that's just me. What about you?

Edited by RealityPublishing
  • Brohoof 1

i kinda want Lauren Faust to go with her original idea of having the show more adventure based
and for historical plot points to come together more leaving less room for ridiculous fan assumptions 

• Brohoof 4

i kinda want Lauren Faust to go with her original idea of having the show more adventure based

and for historical plot points to come together more leaving less room for ridiculous fan assumptions

Faust is not a goddess of writing. She has great ideas but mediocre to even bad execution. She's the M. Night of animation as far as I'm concerned.

I would have far fewer apologies from the miraculously transformed villains and have them be more challenging to defeat. Having them recurring over numerous episodes in a season would be a great way to enrich their character and what it takes to defeat them. I would also have less explanation of the morals at the end. No one needs to be beaten over the head with a plot summary. It would be better to give the audience a little respect and not assume they need everything spelled out for them. 

One, I'd give Fluttershy, AJ and pinkie pie some sort of basic goal from the start of the series; it doesn't have to be huge or massive, but SOMETHING for them to work towards in life to give them some more stuff to work with, like how RD, Rarity and twilight have ambitions and goals they're working towards now.

I'd change RD's goal to emulated daring do and want to be a freelance adventurer like her (Simply because A. the wonderbolts have come off so poorly and B. I think it fits her personality more)

I'd make Starlight's path diverge into her just learning to be a good leader over her village after the S5 finale and not be shoehorned in as a seventh cast member.

I'd put in more adventure episodes.

I'd have had the mane six get a "lesser" version of the EOH from the tree of harmony; basically, when they put the elements back inside it, I would have had them full time get replacement trinkets that could call on SOME of the EOH's power, but not all of it, and give their trinkets more defined abilities than "instant win rainbow laser:". Kind of like how they're being given unique abilities in Legend of everfree.

I'd put a DEFINITE focus on making the two parters not be Twilight sparkle power hours and be devoted to the group, not specifically to twilight (to the point that the others are often just cameos)

• Brohoof 2

Replace every single background pony in Slice of Life and have the episode focus on secondary characters like Big Mac, the Cakes, Zecora, Cheerilee, Shining Armor, Cadence, Celestia and Luna.

Replace the FIM theme song with the first EQG movie remix of the theme.

Give us an actual Celestia episode.

Handle Starlight Glimmer's reformation similarly to Peridot's from Steven Universe.

Have the season 5 two parter with an extended version of Do Princesses Dream of Magic Sheep.

In it, we would be able to have Luna's arc not be as rushed as many people have found issue with, and have Princess Celestia play a decent role in this episode, and have a touching moment between her and Luna would be what to get the later to finally forgive herself.

The episode would still be the introduction of the cutie map, but the friendship problem would be between Celestia and Luna.

The episode that was where Do Princess Dream of Magic sheep would instead be Starlight's introduction episode, where Twilight comes across the same village, and it is up to her and later the equal 4 to stop Starlight.

The episode would end similarly to how the real one ended with SG running away.

We would get 2 more episodes where she was hidden in the background.

In the finale, Starlight would try to use Starswirl's spell only for things to go wrong, leading her to ripping open fabrics in the time space continuum, where it would be up to all of the mane 6 and not just Twilight to go throw these portals and chase after Starlight and try to stop her.

Not only would this Starlight's actions less evil and more acceptable for her to receive a reformation, I would also like to see her motivation expanded a bit more.

The whole thing with Sunburst would still exist, but in addition to this, Starlight would have been somewhat of a magical prodigy (but not stronger than Twilight) who got her cutie mark pretty early on.  This lead to the other kids to resent her and treat her poorly, with Sunburst being the only one to stand by her, and watching him leave her after he got his cutie mark and going to Celestia's school and leaving her all alone would end up given her a bitter hatred for cutie marks.

Edited by cmarston1

I would prevent the CMC from getting their cutie marks and make them "Forever Blank Flanks" by trying a lot of things without getting their cutie marks, I mean, this is why I don't like that COTLM episode a lot!

Sunbutt dies, Calling Sunset back to coronate her as a princess (title only, no alicorization) before she kicks the bucket.

No Discord or Starlight Gutter

Twilght gets changed back to a unicorn

More pony parents

Star Dreams gets screen time

More Luna

More world building

More Flutterponies

Less breezes

Starswirl arc

Alicorn arc

Jrock/pop references

G3 callbacks

More Sunset Shimmer

Somebody already mentioned it but I would like to see a more gradual build-up to the season finales, with the villain being hinted in the first half the start of the series, and then becoming slowly more prevalent across a few, non-consecutive episodes as the series goes on.

I also wouldn't have reformed Starlight Shimmer, and although I do like Discord for the most part, his last couple of episodes (MNFBKD and WAD) were both pretty weak, he was much better as a villain.

Delete Newbie Dash and 28 Pranks Later from existence. Replace the former with an actual satisfying WB episode, and the latter with a Celestia episode

Only other thing I'd do is probably make a few Transformers cameos here and there, or make that crossover. Hasbro's been teasing it for god knows how long

I would focus less on making new characters and focus more on developing minor and background ponies, remove the implication of the mane six being the only ones who can save Equestria and put more depth on the different lands, creatures and lifestyles of Equestria.

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon would have had defined personalities while still being bullies, and their redemptions would have be done by the third season and not be rushed.

Edited by Da King
  • Brohoof 1

The CMC should have gotten the cutie marks hinted at in their previous eps, like Sweetie's for singing, AB's for design, and Scootaloo for racing.

Have a few story lines that are covered over multiple episodes, like 4 or 5 at a time that really have high stakes, not just 2 parter premieres and finales.

Highly controversial suggestion here, but I might like to see the rest of the Mane Six become alicorns too, to put them on the same level as Twilight.

• Brohoof 1

The CMC should have gotten the cutie marks hinted at in their previous eps, like Sweetie's for singing, AB's for design, and Scootaloo for racing.

They kind of were, that's pretty much the entire plot of 'The Show Stoppers' right there.  Although Scootaloo's wasn't racing specifically but it was for physicality.

Well, besides bringing Lauren Faust back, I would say...

Stop using memes and trying to reference stuff that's hip on the internet. For example, the body pillow thing, using the term 'fanfiction', quoting memes...that really needs to stop. I can't stand shows trying to be "in" like that - especially not the only show on television I really follow regularly, and one of the only two shows I actually like.

• Brohoof 4

Starlight Glimmer would become a villain again. She was great because she didn't want just power, chaos, or destruction, she legitimately believed she was doing right, similar to Genghis Khan. That's what made her a great villain in my eyes. As a reformed character, we've yet to see really strong aspects of her character that define her place in Equestria.

However, I do have faith that'd they would do something better with her.

Edited by Vlazamal
  • Brohoof 1

hmmm... if i could change anything?

i would put some pony in, sorta a counter part for zakora.... she is a bit of a "loner" in that shes out in the everfree forest, and is a pony type not featured elsewhere... another character of mystery would be nice...

seriously though...

the only thing i would change... how the ponies are viewed by their creators/writers....

IF they have an element of harmony, they should not break from that if they have (and they have!) achieved greatness with it.

its like superman jusf forgeting he can fly... batman forgeting not to kill...(think thats happend...)    mario/ link forgeting to save the princess... or any brony forgeting how to brohoof! (making point, not fishing for BH's)

Well, we could bring back the Elements of Harmony, or bring in something harmony-related. Plus, they could use more mythological creatures.

Not to mention have the 100th episode be about Twilight and friends going on an adventure. Seriously, slice of life is just fanservice. Although, admittedly, I didn't mind Octavia talking.

Edited by heavens-champion
  • Brohoof 1

I would get rid of the part about the ponies.

Just kidding :D 

I think I would want a few more strong male roles. I'm not saying get rid of the female characters, or give a male character a lead role, but a few more developed male characters would be nice. We don't have many of those. Shining, Spike, and Discord are really the only well developed male characters I can think of off the top of my head. I guess they actually gave Cheese Sandwich a surprising amount of character development for just one episode. They've started giving Big Mac some character development, which I like. They don't even need to add new male characters, but flesh out the ones that are already there. There is potential there for some good stories.

• Brohoof 1

I would get rid of the part about the ponies.

Just kidding :D

I think I would want a few more strong male roles. I'm not saying get rid of the female characters, or give a male character a lead role, but a few more developed male characters would be nice. We don't have many of those. Shining, Spike, and Discord are really the only well developed male characters I can think of off the top of my head. I guess they actually gave Cheese Sandwich a surprising amount of character development for just one episode. They've started giving Big Mac some character development, which I like. They don't even need to add new male characters, but flesh out the ones that are already there. There is potential there for some good stories.

YES YES YES. I think it's a good point that there are MANY more female ponies than male ponies.

• Brohoof 1