Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which element of harmony were you taught the most as a child?

Discordian

Take note that this is not a topic about which one represents you most now but what your parents tried to instill into you as they taught you life lessons.

Multiple/all is an acceptable answer, of course.

For me it was definitely kindness. Second place to honesty. Part of it might have had something to do with the fact that I had major anger issues when I was really young (luckily they've dissipated) and my mom always taught me things like "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all".

My mom has always been a very blunt person. Not mean or anything but to my brother and I, as well as other people, she would always tell people exactly what she thought. She never held back. This sorta rubbed off on me and for better or worse I've taken it to heart. I don't lie to myself and I don't lie to other people. Thus, honesty.

Hmm....I would say that loyalty is something that was especially emphasized when I was growing up.

Kindness does tend to be the prevalent element most parents specifically go out of their way to teach their kids, and I guess mine would be no exception. But there are some big ones mostly picked up by example, like honesty, loyalty and generosity; three elements that are very prominent in my family.  :twi:

Kindness and Laughter. My dad believes that a little bit of laughter can solve most problems, whilst my mum takes the idea of helping those who need it to heart. Neither have stressed much importance on honesty, both say that loyalty is good, but only if you don't become over zealous in it, my mum has come to embody kindness and generosity, having two jobs, both of which are helping disabled children, and both say that friendship is very important, but the things they have stressed the most are laughter and kindness, because all they want from me is to enjoy life.

To be honest I've strayed very far from their teachings. 

Quite frankly, the main value taught to me by my parents when I was a kid isn't one of the elements.  "Respect Authority" or in simpler terms "Do as you're told."  

I guess Honesty would be the secondary value.

~ Miles