Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Games that SHOULD have been great but just weren't

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

I had rather high expectations for Watch Dogs, from the gameplay teasers I saw, I thought it would be really awesome, but when I finally got around to playing it, it felt just like a GTA clone with a different story line, and the whole AR thing was so annoying, and speaking of annoying AR parts in games, Arkham City was the same for me, the rest of the game would have been fine and I would have continued playing it if not for the Superman 64 reminiscent AR parts of the game.

Back to games that felt like GTA copies with different story lines, it was the same for me with both Mafia 2 and L.A Noire.

Even though I don't hate the Legend of Korra video game for the PC and some consoles, I do admit that it could have been better.

I really wish there could have been a few more levels, and more replay value to come out of it.

Maybe even a stronger story.

If those elements were added, the game could have been really great.

I know this goes without saying, but Mighty No.9. The reason so many people donated so much money to the kickstarter was because to many people it was a dream come true. A spiritual successor to Megaman, helmed by none other than the original creator himself? What could possibly go wrong?

Everything apparently. I admit to having been blinded by the hype at first, but in hindsight, the signs were there from the start. Even with all the money they made, it was nowhere near enough to deliver even half of the stretch goals. Porting to every single current and last gen system alone would have been a programming nightmare, and that's not even getting into the extra content they were promising at launch, like multiplayer and alternate game modes (Boss Rush, Speed Runner mode, ect). Coupled with the constant extra kickstarters for additional content and even other projects before the first had even been released, lack of communication, multiple delays and baffling design and marketing changes (Like an Anime Fan on prom night anyone?) and you get a game that is mediocre at best and Duke Nukem level of "Be careful what you wish for!" at worst.  

Here's praying Bloodstained and Yooka-Laylee accomplish what Might No.9 couldn't.

Edited by PoisonClaw
  • Brohoof 1

Xenoblade Chronicles X- it's not bad, but it's just soooooo boring compared to the first Xenoblade, especially in terms of the story and characters... there's nowhere near the amount of heart and soul that the original had. And don't get me started on the ost... the overworld themes and flying song are at least quite good, but I don't know what they were thinking with the battle themes. Ugh. :(

Hmm...

Sonic '06, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Lost World.

All of them had okay concepts, great music and decent graphics, but were either messed up gameplay-wise, had dumb storylines, or were rushed in development.

Can't really blame Sonic Team though, since SEGA's executives are pretty dumb.

Also Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is NOT a real Sonic game. It's in a different universe and wasn't created by Sonic Team.

Just a pet peeve of mine. :dry:

Edited by Meson Bolt

Hmm...

Sonic '06, Sonic and the Black Knight, Sonic and the Secret Rings, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Lost World.

All of them had okay concepts, great music and decent graphics, but were either messed up gameplay-wise, had dumb storylines, or were rushed in development.

Can't really blame Sonic Team though, since SEGA's executives are pretty dumb.

Also Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric is NOT a real Sonic game. It's in a different universe and wasn't created by Sonic Team.

Just a pet peeve of mine. :dry:

I haven't played it myself yet since I don't have a Wii-U but where is it said that it's a different universe?

• Brohoof 1

I haven't played it myself yet since I don't have a Wii-U but where is it said that it's a different universe?

It... is a different universe. Clearly.

I mean, I'm sure someone said it somewhere (but I'm too lazy to look that up right now), but it's based on the Sonic Boom TV series (which is... meh IMO).

Sonic Boom was supposed to be a reboot of the series (since 06 was a disaster).

Again, look it up of you don't believe me. I'm on mobile right now so it's kinda hard to post links...

It... is a different universe. Clearly.

I mean, I'm sure someone said it somewhere (but I'm too lazy to look that up right now), but it's based on the Sonic Boom TV series (which is... meh IMO).

Sonic Boom was supposed to be a reboot of the series (since 06 was a disaster).

Again, look it up of you don't believe me. I'm on mobile right now so it's kinda hard to post links...

I just mean, it wouldn't be a huge stretch to believe it's the same universe as every other game in the series. Especially if they don't make a point of separating it canonically in-game. If they never say anything that outright says so I'm inclined to believe it's the same universe.

But we'll see what happens when I actually play it.

I wouldn't say it was a bad game because a lot of people (including me) actually enjoyed it, but Watch Dogs should have been way better than it was. It just had so much potential to be amazing, but fell short on a lot of things. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it wasn't necessarily good. It was OK but it could have been great. Hopefully Watch Dogs 2 does a better job living up to the potential. 

• Brohoof 1

Star wars battlefront- so being a HUGE starwars fangirl, I was really hyped for this to come out. (just gonna say this now, I personally love the game) the pre-order bonuses, and the special editions are not really worth it. all you get access to is a few emotes, and ingame items that you can get with in game credits. (and very cheap to buy)  better yet, its only the base game. not the DLC weapons. so like, you are paying 15-30 dollars more for emotes. and then 60 dollars for a season pass. (though the DLCs are pretty great.) a lot of things that should have been in the game have been taken out, and just added to DLCs like, we only got like 4 planets, and a few maps from them. the game seems to be more biased towards the rebellion. they got so many star cards that counter AT-STs that quite literally you can take one or two steps in an AT-ST and youre down to like 5 HP. plus its made by EA :P I mean, its only the first game.. so... *shrugs*

and destiny...it would have been a great game (even though it is...) i mean, you have to pay for two DLC's that were already installed on the game disc. when you bought the base game. activision postponed the reviews until weeks later... just so they earn money from it. not to mention the DLC's that you pay like 15 dollars more for have not even 30 minutes of content. year 2 did change the game alot though, but sadly, TTK was supposed to be all in the base game to begin with. I think it was Activision that killed destiny. mostly because the long list of mistakes that happened in destiny were activision's fault (poor bungie... taking all the blame...)

ah well... not every game is perfect I guess :P

Edited by KrazyDashie
  • Brohoof 1

Sonic '06.

It was supposed to be a triumphant 15th anniversary release to commemorate how far the series had come. Instead, it was a slow, glitchy, sloppy, and cumbersome game with a messy excuse for a plot. It's generally considered the worst Sonic game ever made, and for good reason.

You know what's funny? At first I thought that those glitches were my fault. I've only found out about those glitches a few years ago :lol:

I'll say it:

Duke Nukem Forever.

While it entices reactions of snickers and ridicule now that it's actually out, Duke Nukem Forever SHOULD have been an easy home run. A classic, established comedic character, a fun concept from a game that set some of the standards for the genre with modern technology to make the new game. It should have been a "piece of cake".

It's sad that a classic had to end in the toilet. Too bad, he was one of my childhood heroes (Yes, I've first  played DN3D when I was at least 5 years old  :orly: )

Well, I got two games the could've been great, but they were underwhelming at least:

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2: It wasn't  a bad game, but it deserved better. Lords of Shadow is one of my overall favorite games ever, but this sequel underdelivered things that made the first game great. Weaker story, shorter in length, the city was boring and uninspired.

Inuyasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel: Why is this JRPG so bad? It made many mistakes: choppy animations, bad sound, graphics one generation past, loved characters overshadowed by the newcomer, etc. But it's killing sin was the ridiculously high encounter rate. seriously, you'd be lucky if you make 4 steps without encountering a random band of douches making you waste time :dry:

• Brohoof 1

You know what's funny? At first I thought that those glitches were my fault. I've only found out about those glitches a few years ago :lol:

It's sad that a classic had to end in the toilet. Too bad, he was one of my childhood heroes (Yes, I've first  played DN3D when I was at least 5 years old  :orly: )

Well, I got two games the could've been great, but they were underwhelming at least:

Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2: It wasn't  a bad game, but it deserved better. Lords of Shadow is one of my overall favorite games ever, but this sequel underdelivered things that made the first game great. Weaker story, shorter in length, the city was boring and uninspired.

Inuyasha: Secret of the Divine Jewel: Why is this JRPG so bad? It made many mistakes: choppy animations, bad sound, graphics one generation past, loved characters overshadowed by the newcomer, etc. But it's killing sin was the ridiculously high encounter rate. seriously, you'd be lucky if you make 4 steps without encountering a random band of douches making you waste time :dry:

I actually disagree about Lords of Shadow 2. After a second playthrough I saw and did things I missed before and I just really liked the whole package. It came out to be everything I expected from it. It's hard to even say I liked it more than the first one since it's almost a different game but I felt that it really worked considering the changes in Gabriel between the games.

Oh, man, good ol' Ultima 9.  That's a blast from the past.  That was a big deal when I first played it.  I had never played any Ultima before, and a friend gave me 9.  It was the biggest and most impressive rpg I had ever seen.  I became obsessed with it.  I thought it was the greatest thing ever, but in retrospect, it really was a piece of crap.  Once every 5-10 years, I'll go back and play around with it a little again, just for a laugh.

That is probably to best way to play that game.  For you, the game was not riding on at least 6 games worth of continuity (some of the earliest games can kind of be ignored).  So when the Avatar delivered his clunky exposition, it didn't sound like he had been kicked in the head one too many times and was now suffering from a combination of a concussion and amnesia.   And of course you never had chance to play the much better Ultima games and realize how much the game that was supposed to be a capstone to the series had fallen.  If you did like Ultima 9, you really ought to go back a try some of the earlier ones, especially Ultimas 4, 5, 6, and 7 parts 1 and 2.  Just avoid Ultima 8, dear lord was that horrible.

• Brohoof 1

• 5 years later...

- Watchdogs: Legion could have been so much better if the bugs were dealt with quickly and efficiently instead of slowly or not at all.

- If Destiny 2 was made free from the start and had less paywalls in it, it would have done much better at first.

- The Elder Scrolls Online was just trash from the start, the developers should have just made an online option for Skyrim.

- Fallout 76 could have done better with less paywalls and less bugs.

• Brohoof 2

Starfox Zero, we finally got a """"new"""" game after 16 years since Command, and it turned out to be a load of shit as it turned out to be yet another remake of Starfox 64(after we had already just gotten the 3DS remake), but this time with really bad gimmicks and motion controls thrown in, and even if you remove the gimmicks it's still an uninspired remake. Platinum being involved should have been ripe for potential given how much they wanted to make a Starfox game but it was obvious they had little say as Miyamoto pushed his ideas hard and Platinum was brought in really late

Speaking of Platinum, I have no idea what happened with TMNT. TMNT and Platinum sounded like a match made in Heaven, and after Transformers Devastation actually turned out to be great there was a lot of hope, yet they managed to make their worst game. I was hoping the Korra director would have learned some lessons but he somehow managed to make a game significantly worse. And unlike Starfox I can't blame Activision for this one, because the aforementioned Transformers was made under the same restrictions yet the game was significantly better than Platinum's other licensed affairs

Sonic Heroes. It had great ideas and some really interesting stage design, but most of it didn't reach its potential. I wanted to like Heroes, but it has too many problems that I just can't look past. The only way I can have a decent time is with Team Rose and sometimes with Team Sonic. Team Dark's stages are obnoxiously long and Team Chaotix's missions are tedious.

Edited by Cash_In
  • Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

I'm gonna say dark souls 2. I know there are some diehard ds2 fans but the game was close to being fantastic. 

If it didn't swap development midway through, received a balance patch for enemy placements and got rid of the adapt stat it would of been up to par with the other games.

• Brohoof 1