Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How did you get the idea for your O.C

IsraelYabuki

As bronies and pegasisters, We've all created tons of fanart, music, videos, and our O.Cs. But the question is how did you guys come up with the idea for your O.C? Did you make it based off a character or multiple characters from different shows? Or did it just come to you at random?

• Brohoof 1

Mine didn't take a lot of thought or consideration. I needed an avatar when I signed up here, came up with the artwork and the personality just kind of sprang forth from that. It's based somewhat on me, with other elements from an OC I used on another MLP site I used to frequent. There's not a lot of backstory going on, just the basics.  :grin:

I don't really use my OC because no one's been kind enough to draw it. (then again, I've never asked; my fault) But I simply took my logo's two colors, black and white, mixed them a bit, (added gray) and gave it a few highlights. I like to make my original characters blend in as best as possible. For me, I feel it's important for them to be similar to the source material. So my OC is a bit... plain, but I think it's pretty good! (Bow-tie = headphones)

sig-4637205.ye6I97D.png

In short, I use an OC to represent myself, rather than an individual, non-canon character. 

Edited by RealityPublishing

For the longest time Fluttershy was my mascot, until I learned what an OC was. Then I came up with Snowflake, though back then he looked different, and had a much different backstory. As time went on I ended up changing his physical appearance, and backstory several times mostly during my time here, and now I have this master piece. Snowflake was originally an exact clone of me, but then I started to slowly change that until he became an alter ego of mine. He's basically what I wish I could be, and to an extent I'am what he is... if that makes any sense...

• Brohoof 1

well unfortunately i dont have much to show because i lack the artistic skills and equipment needed to draw :P (im currently using pencil and paper to design him)

but my OC is a Pegasus named snow, his physical and social characteristics are inspired by German ww2 machines of war, like the tiger tank (he stands proud and can take just about everything you throw at him and he is more reliable than is given credit for but still has a high maintenance cost meaning he eats a lot but like me because of good metabolism he is quite tall and skinny :P ) and the me262 jet fighter for general flight characteristics (he is slow to take off and get to speed but once at speed he can overtake anypony with ease, in a dive he threatens to do a sonic rainboom but cant quite make it. basically second fastest pony out there)

I already had the ""soul"" of my OC before I gave him a body. Then I watched him evolve and become the OC he is today :P

I didn't came up with his final design/personnality since the start, he was a white Gary-Stu assassin pegasus and he's an old alicorn actor now x)

Roleplaying helps a lot to build the personnality of your OCs, if you want my opinion :P

It was a mixture of me playing H.P Lovecrafts: Call of Chtulu Dark Corners of the Earth and wanting a unique oc with my personality combined. As simple as that, plus I just think she looks really, really cute, and the fact that she acts foalish is even cuter

• Brohoof 1

Well, because I love robots, a friend helped me come up with the idea of a robot pony! That's how Nano came to be, simply put.

But then it occurred to me that someone would have had to create him. That's were the idea for Galatea came in.

And then, in order to create sufficient conflict, I thought, "why not throw in an innocent-looking unicorn that's actually crazy and ends up turning on them?" So Ariel was born.

I will admit, my OC-making skills and writing ability have considerably improved since I first made these characters a few years ago. They've changed as I revised the story, Ariel especially. Ariel's literally a different pony than what I first hashed her as, especially considering how I realized how contrived my original story for her was. So as I developed her more, she eventually went from "lab assistant that looks nice but is actually evil" to "Galatea's adopted daughter that is nice but also mentally ill."

At first seeing how Fluttershy is my favorite character, I thought if a pegasus could have a special talent in animals, why not plants?

After that he ended up going through a lot of name changes until I finally settled on Meadow Leaf.

Then I got some inspiration from a bit of my own personality, and maybe some of Fluttershy's and a bit of Wally from pokemon.

I just went on the pony creator, started playing with colors. I decided I wanted a gray coat since it kinda reminds me of Octavia (best pone  :wub: ) , and then white hair with blue streaks because I love those colors too. The eyepatch I added because I really do need one IRL, sometimes, and the bowtie was another reference to Best Pone.

As for the name Sēkr Gray, I wanted to have it say "seeker," but wanted a long e with the macron because almost nobody uses it in english, and the -er shortened to -r, like in old Norse literature. Gray just works because I needed a last name, and went with the closest name device I could work with, colors :adorkable:

(Plus, Mr. Gray has a nice ring to it :P )

The cutie mark represents a mixture of board game, history, and teaching/learning, all the things I'd love to do :catface:

Most OC's I make are for RP's I do 

All the following OC's were made specifically for RP's 

Sunny Skies (f)

Sunlight (f)

Circuit Breaker (f)

Mocha White (m)

Pyrite Stone (m)

However the OC I use to represent myself, Seren Starfall (the pony in my avatar pic at the time of typing this) actually has an interesting story to her conception.

I originally created her to be just a generic bland black and white OC and I named her Cortana, cause I still needed a name. However I got this bright horrible idea to write an FoE story and since I had no other OC's to choose from Cortana was chosen as the protagonist. Since this was the way things were going I decided to change her name cause I didn't want readers drawing parallels to Halo with her name so I changed it to Seren Starfall. 

She had a very generic teal star for a Cutie Mark so I wanted to make her stand out by giving her wild hair and all that.

However the whole FoE story idea fell through over time and Seren has been redesigned to be an OC in the normal equestria and no longer FoE's Equestria. The main reason she didn't die with the story is mainly cause she was too established for me to let it happen.

The Avatar pic I'm using at the time of typing this is the FoE Seren but I still feel this is an accurate enough representation of her. Not too much of her initial look changed as a result of the redesign aside from me toning down the craziness of her mane a bit.

As for me, I was confused on what my O.C should look like at first. Until one day, I decided to watch this old series called "The New Adventures of Kimba the White Lion" and sure enough a few episodes later, I wanted my O.C to be a courageous fighter but I gave him a red mane because I like the color (since it's the color of a red hot fire) but the fire powers came out of nowhere. I also drew these birthmarks under his eyes which look similar to scars because even though he's good and kind on the inside, I feel like he should look fierce.

This doesn't only need to be about mlp ocs, right?

For my mlp oc, I wanted a pony that had a tree theme.  I think I need to edit them though, it's about time I did...

Don't mind the rest of this, just other OCs rambling...

For games that I play, there's only one character for the series.  I have a hard time doing more than one play through.  There's only one Warden(Dragon Age: Origins), only one Hawke(DA2), only one Inquisitor(Dragon Age: I), only one Shepard(Mass Effect trilogy), etc.  

The one that stuck most with me was my Shepard, his mother regretted having him and kicked him out at an early age.  He spent most of his life on the streets of Tokyo, joined gangs and such but it never really changed his decency and kindness.  He only set it aside to do what he had to to survive.  He joined the Alliance as soon as he could, he was hoping that he would meet his father through the Navy.  When he did meet him, he realized he was better off without him and they haven't seen each other since.  He's a paragon with some renegade tendencies(from when he lived on the streets) but he always strives to do what is right.  At the ending of ME3, he chose destroy, to fulfill the mission.  It wasn't an easy choice for him to make but he did it.  He also romanced Steve Cortez.

• Brohoof 1

On my last account, my first fan character was essentially me.  An artist, a traveller, a unicorn, everything I imagined myself being and wanting to be.  For this idea I've been toying with, I've changed her up to better fit a historian in a world that was set back by the weather going haywire two centuries ago, the sort of world where one would often have to do odd and sometimes terrible things to survive.  Plus, additional traits that make her even more different from myself and the fact that she starts off in a very close relationship with another character.

But the majority of my OCs are human or humanoid and aren't made for any one fandom.  I tend to make sets of four, usually consisting of a fighter, a rogue, a mage, and a healer and usually with two guys and two girls.

Originally, I wasn't going to, but then I saw that one Gala episode with Rarity and Prince Blueblood and it made me so, so angry that such a beautiful mare such as Rarity had such a donkey of a date was just heartbreaking. So I got busy making a personality, somepony that would fit to her expectations, but at the same time had his own personality. A gentlemen when it was needed and frankly just himself otherwise,  flaws and all, accepts that not everything can be perfect, but he can certainly try being perfect for that special somepony.

Originally, I wasn't going to, but then I saw that one Gala episode with Rarity and Prince Blueblood and it made me so, so angry that such a beautiful mare such as Rarity had such a donkey of a date was just heartbreaking. So I got busy making a personality, somepony that would fit to her expectations, but at the same time had his own personality. A gentlemen when it was needed and frankly just himself otherwise,  flaws and all, accepts that not everything can be perfect, but he can certainly try being perfect for that special somepony.

Cool, my O.C is a bit rough around the edges but he it just means he cares deeply for the innocent. He just doesn't show it unless it's absolutely nessessary

Wind Chaser was based on myself and my observations on certain kinds of characters that did not yet exist in the MLP canon, but could be very beneficial if they were. I mainly wanted my character to be a struggling underdog, more of an everyman against the idealistic role models that the Mane 6 represent. He was originally an adult blank flank, a relatively rare concept among MLP OCs, but later got a cutie mark. I polled the forum and the name was suggested by . Coincidentally, I later traced it to the Bible verse Ecclesiastes 2:11, which I took to symbolize the perceived fruitlessness of his struggles. His accessories are based on what I wore in high school.

I came up with ideas for as many as three supporting characters for Wind Chaser but only Vested Interest made the cut. The template was a sort of intersection between Rarity and Applejack, combining Rarity's business and fashion sense with Applejack's pragmatism and family orientation, along with a few unique quirks of her own, such as a propensity towards anger and disgust as well as a more youthful and urban fashion sense compared with Rarity's. Where Wind Chaser is mainly made of traits that I had when I made the character, Vested Interest is a culmination of traits I wish I had as well as strengths that I only wish I could apply more, aggregated from the most interesting parts of the existing MLP characters on which she is based. I'm fascinated by Rarity breaking new ground by possibly being the most positive portrayal of a business owner in a children's cartoon as well as a vehicle for which the writers can explore the art-business relationship. I have a great desire to see more characters like this in cartoons going forward, and I'd might as well test the waters by creating one for this fandom. It also came out of an intrinsic need to create a unicorn character considering Pegasus is the most popular species for OCs.

Edited by Wind Chaser

I didn't plan on making one, but I found out about a Garry's Mod addon which let you make your own OC player model and so I went about doing that:

post-39275-0-66122100-1471330224_thumb.png

I used my favourite colours and adjusted things until I was happy, and the cutie mark, which is where the name came from, was chosen from a bunch of preset ones. I left it at that for quite some time. 

One day I wanted a drawn version and so I used paint.net to draw this:

post-39275-0-60907300-1471330293_thumb.png

Once again it stayed like that for a long time.

Yesterday I was curious about the MLP community and so found out about this forum. I wanted to use my OC as my avatar and decided I wanted to make it more unique, since her mane and tail looked too much like Lyra's. So I came up with a new mane style and copied it across to the tail:

post-39275-0-29059200-1471330374_thumb.png

I was happy with that but I had considered changing the purple and yellow to more battenberg like colours in the past:

post-39275-0-18196700-1471330415_thumb.png

Which looked a lot better with the new mane style, hence my current OC:

post-39275-0-79212000-1471330439_thumb.png

I'm happy with it because it actually suits me more than I intended, the cake theme represents my sweet tooth and personality and the overall look is similar to Fluttershy and to a lesser degree Rarity, my favourite two mane six ponies.

Sorry for the long post.

Edited by Battenberg
  • Brohoof 2

I i duno basically i took my favorite colors purple and green and i made the skin purple and hair different shades of green from a darker shade to a light green then i give him green eyes. then i decided to make it a unicorn because unicorn master race and magic is rad. his cutie mark is pepe the frog because i have the dankest memes. then he either wears nothing like the mane 6 basically. i dont rp with him because thats something i never got into i just like to have one. so yeah its me in pone form 

Edited by MoonStatue

My OC is largely based off my own personality and such with a few changes. However I was not his original creator.

https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/nebula-r5625

An artist friend of mine wanted to do some comics with his, another friend, and my characters, except none of us had any. Thus he did some basic sketches and my character came into being. The comics never got beyond that stage, and thus I took him and changed his hair color.

At the core his appearance remains what my friend had originally come up with, same with personality.

• Brohoof 1