Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's With All The Season 6 Hate?

OmegaBeamOfficial

Looking back at the older seasons, to me, Season 3 was the one that I felt had the least quality. I'm not saying I hated it, It's just later and older seasons outshine it. Now, I'm saying this because even back then, there wasn't even much hate for Season 3 as far as I can tell. But now, with Season 6 having started, there have been tons of people slamming down on it as if It's the spawn of Satan. Now I'm not gonna say It's true, I've not seen any of Season 6 yet myself, but god help me I wish I could just to see where all this hatred is coming from. Now, of course this Isn't new, and hell, there have been bad episodes before, like, really bad ones. (The Mysterious Mare Do Well, Bridle Gossip, The Cutie Pox for starters) but this... This is a whole new level. It's to the point where I can't go a few forum pages without someone throwing a snarky remark or some kind of insult at Season 6. I don't know what's going on, but the chance of Season 6 being as demonic as everyone says it is is about as high as the chance of pigs flying. I'll probably end up watching through, waiting to see what everypony's so pissed about and then end the season thinking everyone overreacted.

• Brohoof 2

The opening wasnt that good you either liked it somewhat or you hated it it started off slow. the last 2 episodes i didnt really like especially the last one 28 pranks later felt like it was just 2 half writen ideas that could go together what sucks is the second part of the episode could have been a great episode. the middle of whats already out was pretty good actually has some of my favorite episodes ever which i think is why its getting hope when you have great episodes like stranger than fan fiction, saddle row review, and alot of the rest of them are good atleast some better some worst but the last 2 weeks since hiatus has been some bad episodes like worst episodes ever level they have been having any growth from characters be gone like literally in season 1 rainbow dash says she doesnt prank fluttershy yet does in 28 pranks later like did she get replaced with robot. i think its more peopel are hating on the terrible last 2 episodes or some of the weaker episodes earlier its got great episodes still through so right now i hope they can bring the show back in gear before the finale and from the released episode names its looking good from names and breif descriptions alone

• Brohoof 2

I do thin kthat this season as a whole is getting a tad too much hate, though there are some episodes this season that are just plain terrible and I think that is what is getting to people. This season has some of the worst episodes in the entire show like Newbie Dash and Flutter Brutter. I found both of those to be absolutely abysmal. For me though, it balances out because this season also has some fantastic episodes like Gauntlet of Fire, Saddle Row Review and Spice Up Your Life. I personally think there has been more good than bad this season and some are treating it like the season 3 second coming, which season 3 was not THAT bad.

On your marks was depressing as hell though. Probably the most depressed I could possibly be while watching an episode of this show.

I think some are just so appalled by some of the bad episodes (and those episodes are indeed terrible) that they are letting that taint other episodes for them in the season, which is something I wish wouldn't happen.

• Brohoof 8

I do thin kthat this season as a whole is getting a tad too much hate, though there are some episodes this season that are just plain terrible and I think that is what is getting to people. This season has some of the worst episodes in the entire show like Newbie Dash and Flutter Brutter. I found both of those to be absolutely abysmal. For me though, it balances out because this season also has some fantastic episodes like Gauntlet of Fire, Saddle Row Review and Spice Up Your Life. I personally think there has been more good than bad this season and some are treating it like the season 3 second coming, which season 3 was not THAT bad.

On your marks was depressing as hell though. Probably the most depressed I could possibly be while watching an episode of this show.

I think some are just so appalled by some of the bad episodes (and those episodes are indeed terrible) that they are letting that taint other episodes for them in the season, which is something I wish wouldn't happen.

It's a real shame that this is happening. MLP's been great and I don't want it to get a bad reputation as a franchise, but at this rate It's gonna happen. It just doesn't make sense to me. Every season has had at least one bad episode, but It's never affected the season as a whole as much as it has here. Also, I'd like to stress again, I didn't think Season 3 was terrible, it just doesn't compare to the other seasons. I'm worried that if the hate and low ratings keep going for too long the show will soon get cancelled.

These are my personal issues with season 6:

- There's no season-long arc, and it really just feels like the season isn't going anywhere or leading up to anything. 

- The mane six are mostly just spinning their wheels at this point, occasionally moving forward, but mostly moving backwards or in circles. 

- Barely anything is being done with Starlight. 

- Barely anything is being done with the post-marked CMC. 

- The writing in general has been very hit-or-miss. 

- Fifteen episodes in, and I feel that the season has been rather pointless overall, as though it was only made for the sake of padding out the show's length and not much else. Again, this is because the mane six aren't really progressing, and the arcs for Starlight and the CMC have pretty much stagnated already. 

Edited by Cleverclover
  • Brohoof 10

I guess people who are content (but not euphoric) with the show tend to not post stuff about it? Maybe the silent majority still likes it, but is drowned out by loudmouthed neigh-sayers?

• Brohoof 3

The season 6 premiere is kinda underwhelming compare to other seasons, following by episode 3, which is just a casual episode (episode 3 is suppose to be a special ep to set up the story arc). Beside episode 10, nothing is actually bad, even far from the worse, but they still cant top the best episodes in previous season, which is not a bad thing, not everything cant be the masterpiece. If you still love the show, just watch it, dont listen to those people and make a judgement for yourself. 

Remember when my parents scold me for liking a girly show, i just ignore them... 

• Brohoof 1

These are my personal issues with season 6:

- There's no season-long arc, and it really just feels like the season isn't going anywhere or leading up to anything. 

- The mane six are mostly just spinning their wheels at this point, occasionally moving forward, but mostly moving backwards or in circles. 

- Barely anything is being done with Starlight. 

- Barely anything is being done with the post-marked CMC. 

- The writing in general has been very hit-or-miss. 

- Fifteen episodes in, and I feel that the season has been rather pointless overall, as though it was only made for the sake of padding out the show's length and not much else. Again, this is because the mane six aren't really progressing, and the arcs for Starlight and the CMC have pretty much stagnated already. 

Wow, seems Hasbro is missing opportunities with Starlight, I can see why they aren't bothering with the CMC, their story is pretty much over, I wouldn't mind another one off episode for Sweetie Belle or Scootaloo though. But Starlight has so much potential! Twilight could be like her teacher of friendship or something.

I guess people who are content (but not euphoric) with the show tend to not post stuff about it? Maybe the silent majority still likes it, but is drowned out by loudmouthed neigh-sayers?

Of course, "negative" and "overrate" often get the loudest voice. Let count how many people in this forum actually hate this season  :D  My friends still like this season a lot, and they dont even bother to comment in youtube or forum, they have more thing to do than me  :orly:  :orly:  :orly:

• Brohoof 1

True, I wish more people had a voice in the forums, this place can be kinda quiet sometimes.

The season 6 premiere is kinda underwhelming compare to other seasons, following by episode 3, which is just a casual episode (episode 3 is suppose to be a special ep to set up the story arc). Beside episode 10, nothing is actually bad, even far from the worse, but they still cant top the best episodes in previous season, which is not a bad thing, not everything cant be the masterpiece. If you still love the show, just watch it, dont listen to those people and make a judgement for yourself. 

Remember when my parents scold me for liking a girly show, i just ignore them... 

Hold up a sec, another guy told me there wasn't a story arc to season 6, now there is? What's going on here? As for the season premiere I won't be surprised if it's underwhelming for me, no 2 parter has topped the Season 4 finale for me yet.

• Brohoof 1

True, I wish more people had a voice in the forums, this place can be kinda quiet sometimes.

Hold up a sec, another guy told me there wasn't a story arc to season 6, now there is? What's going on here? As for the season premiere I won't be surprised if it's underwhelming for me, no 2 parter has topped the Season 4 finale for me yet.

Wait, what story arc!?  :orly: Anyway, please read my "ss 6 changelog" for some detail https://mlpforums.com/blog/3139/entry-20753-season-6-explore-equestria-lastest-version-update-version-615-28-pranks-later/,( Spoiler Alert!) hope you like it.

Season 6 actually has "story arcs", but they are not focused. Beside the premiere, none of 13 episode actually advance or contribute to the "story arc". Maybe, season 6 is just like season 3, premiere set up and finale execute whatever the plot they came up, and other episodes are just a bunch of lovely slice of life episodes  :love: . There are still 11 episodes left, maybe i'm wrong  :kindness:

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 1

Well ...

I'm Mr. Positivity when it comes to looking at MLP episodes, often times generally approving of episodes that get lukewarm responses. So far, I personally ranked three as lower than the two preceding ans two succeeding seasons, I have to admit that Season 6 been the most inconsistent season so far. Each of Clover's points are legitimate complaints with the season.

To me it isn't horrible, but it certainly is a more flawed season with what looks like no direction. And this is coming from a person who defended the first half of the season.

I'm actually looking forward to LoE more than the rest of this season now, that's saying something.

• Brohoof 6

Chronic exposure to a minor inconvenience can achieve less favorable results than a single unpleasant event. It’s all about accumulation. Couple that with show’s age, its conscious reluctance to tackle the most basic lore in a meaningful way while promoting its components as meaningless lesson fodder, regressing characters on the sacrificial stone of rookie writing, showing supposed unprofessional favoritism towards certain characters, the prioritizations of lessons over episodes’ entertainment values, the increasing ambiguity of lessons themselves, and you get yourself an average angry mob.

Now, calling out an angry mob on it being an angry mob is a folly unless you have some damn good reasoning that transcends “muh positivity”. Positivity only helps when you have a developer that maintains active and honest communication with the fandom, but given that we are an unprofitable mistake writhing in the shadow of an old school big money corporation, that doesn’t matter. Without the incentive to restrict ourselves, the masks fall and the true nature is revealed. How glorious!

• Brohoof 2

Back when Season 6 first began airing, everyone thought the story arc for Season 6 was going to be Starlight Glimmer's redemption and integration into the Mane Six. Starlight Glimmer has played a much smaller role in Season 6 than anyone expected: instead of being an additional cast member, Starlight has been little more than a recurring character who hasn't really interacted with any member of the main cast besides Twilight Sparkle. This season feels aimless because we were expecting it to have a story arc focused around Starlight Glimmer, when instead it returned to the episodic, slice-of-life fare of the earlier seasons.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 7

Back when Season 6 first began airing, everyone thought the story arc for Season 6 was going to be Starlight Glimmer's redemption and integration into the Mane Six. Starlight Glimmer has played a much smaller role in Season 6 than anyone expected: instead of being an additional cast member, Starlight has been little more than a recurring character who hasn't really interacted with any member of the main cast besides Twilight Sparkle. This season feels aimless because we were expecting it to have a story arc focused around Starlight Glimmer, when instead it returned to the episodic, slice-of-life fare of the earlier seasons.

That's funny. This is one of the few good things for me in this season. :please:

• Brohoof 1

That's funny. This is one of the few good things for me in this season. :please:

Alright, let me put it to you this way: a lot of people thought it would be more adventure-oriented and have a story arc like last two seasons did and are disappointed it doesn't.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 6

Even though I do enjoy this season, it does feel like a bit of a step down from the last two, and I would say it feels similar to the early seasons without any sort of major season long arcs going on.

Especially seeing how little has been done with Starlight Glimmer.

And then there is how pretty much all of the original writers have left the show, and the first half felt a lot more playing it safe than other seasons have.

But the season has put out some episodes that I really enjoyed such as Flutter Brutter which is my favorite Fluttershy episode, Gauntlet of Fire which may be the best Spike episode, Stranger Than Fanficiton, The Saddle Row Review, and A Hearth's Warming Tale.

I am also looking forward to The Times They Are a Changeling, Dungeons and Discords, and The Fault in our Cutie Marks.

• Brohoof 2

I love season 6! I love all the seasons. Season 2 is my least favorite.

With the quality of season 6 It could probably surpass season 4 as my 3rd fav season, but these last two episodes haven't been all that great

• Brohoof 2

I don't hate season six, i just feel the writers have missed some things that could have been used or planned out:

-Glimmer hardly used sadly:  It would have been nice to give her a ep or work her into some of the eps plot even on the side.

-Flurry Heart: I think a LOT more could have been done with this little alicorn like a look into say Armor having to watch his daughter and how he could deal with it.   Also the idea of Aunt Twilight having to baby sit for a day would have been just a killer ep to watch her deal with a baby pony.

-Royal Sisters:  I think its time we have more in the life of Royal sisters having their own ep of some kind!

-Discord:  Any eps with him a love!

• Brohoof 2

At this point it looks like season six is really a period of transition for the writing team. When it comes down to it season six hasn't been bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it has definitely been inconsistent up to this point. Episodes like "Gauntlet of Fire," "Saddle Row Review," "Stranger Than Fanfiction," and my personal favorite "No Second Prances" are all great episodes that can stand with the best of them, IMO, but others like the most recent two have been so meh it's noticeable.

As I said we're in a period of transition right now. We have a movie and EqG4 coming, as well as a few new writers. If season 7 is a thing I would think the new writers will get a better hold of things later on down the road. :)

• Brohoof 2

I'm also enjoying this season even if it isn't as great as some previous ones. I think the biggest issue here for me is the lack of Starlight, especially after last season, and I think the reason why this has happened is simply because of all the criticism that "The Cutie Re-Mark" received. Much like how many hated the idea of Twilight becoming a princess at the end of Season 3 so they drastically scaled the focus on that back in Season 4, it seems like the writers have been hesitant to do much with Starlight because many disliked the idea of her being redeemed and becoming a mane character. I like how the staff do seem to listen to the fans' responses and will always try and do something in a future season to make amends for earlier mistakes. Sometimes it works, like with Spike, as thus far, his episodes and characterisation this season are easily some of, if not, the best they've ever been, and other times, like with Starlight, it doesn't. I guess I can appreciate them wanting to gradually ease Starlight into the group rather than rushing things, and I actually do like how they've been using her this season, but it is far too minimal and it's happening far too slowly. If/when we get to Season 7, they really should be having her be much more involved. 

• Brohoof 1