Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Help Wanted] Flat Design, Yay or Nay?

Ganaram Inukshuk

This is a set of massive lingering questions I've had on my mind since I posted my Flat Design Pony Art Thread:

• What are people's thoughts on flat design and minimalist design? [Example of flat design]
  • What do people like and dislike about flat design/minimalism?
  • What are the pros and cons of flat design/minimalism compared to other styles?
  • What designs do people prefer, if not minimalism/flat design?
  • Does my own style fit the description of flat design, or something else? [Example of my own work]
  • Are there any additional tips regarding this type of style in general?

I would like to have these questions answered so I know how to improve my own style. This sounds like a lot, but I want to extremely thorough with this query. Thanks for helping.

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

• 2 months later...

I am a true fan of minimalism and simple flat design either. However it's important to know how to do it.  In my opinion you're doing it well!

So what I really like by minimalism and flat design is the better concentrating on the bigger picture. So any human I know would prefer hang a minimalistic picture in his room than any drawing by Hieronymus Bosch. Because minimalistic pictures make rooms look cleaner.

Flat designs help concentrating on bigger pictures too, because they generally don't have much details.

• 1 month later...

@@Ganaram Inukshuk, I'll add my thoughts here too, haha. Going in order:

• My thoughts on minimalistic/flat... I think it's a niche. It serves a purpose in key circumstances, and while it may face issues of representing certain things, or suiting certain tasks, it can also suit others extremely well. Basically, I enjoy it, but it's important to know when it serves a good purpose, I suppose.
  • Likes or dislikes... Simplicity is a major plus in certain areas. While detail can be pretty or striking, simplicity can focus on a core expression or facet much more exclusively, without getting weighed down by detail. So yeah, I like that it's clean, clear, and useful. I dislike it only when it's misused or simply fails to deliver an interesting or deeper piece when one would be desired (basically, it's situational).
  • Basically already touched on above. In my opinion, the major pros involve focusing on a core aspect or facet of interest, and conveying it without much fluff or distraction. Another pro is that simple designs just look more accessible and pleasant often. As a con, sometimes the fluff is what people want, or simplicity just doesn't cut it when you could use something a bit more dynamic or lively. Additionally, it can be hard to balance simple with interesting; it basically comes down to really needing to understand how to use your space, and avoiding boring empty/unused space even when your style might create it easily.
  • Preferred designs... depends on the situation and use, I suppose; no good answer for that from me.
  • I'd say it fits, yeah.
  • I'd look at other artists and try to study the nuances of how they make simple interesting and dynamic. Studying the success of others (or failures) really is key to progressing forward in my opinion.