Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

S06:E16 - The Times They Are A Changeling

Ashen Pathfinder

What did you think of the episode?  

212 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Times are changing, and I do not approve!
    • Eh, not really.
    • Times have changed. MEH!
    • Could've been better
    • Times are changing, and THAT WAS AWESOME!

I loved this episode! First of all it has perfect or near perfect continuity with Canterlot Wedding and the season 6 opener. Starlight is finally back! They also showed Spike's best qualities like in "Gauntlet of Fire" like his generosity and faithfulness while still having him screw up. They seemed to use all of his pervious character progression towards this episode. I was really surprised Spike got a song! I liked the voice actor for the little changeling too! It was also nice to see the guards treat Spike like their leader in the early scene and have them speak. They made good use of Flurry Heart as well. One of Spike's best episodes!  

I know right? E:D

I love Spike but too many of his episodes I don't think are very good. We've been getting awesome ones lately and this one even gets honors for one of the best of the series overall. One of the great things about Spike that we got to see here was that he didn't need anyone else to tell him what he should do. He knew he was lacking and decided to fix it all on his own. He risked everything for what he felt was right. Now that's character!  :D

• Brohoof 6

Season six should be renamed to Season Spike. That was pretty great. Sure, rushed ending, cliches etc. but they don't bother me. I laughed multiple times and Thorax was adorable as heck.

Also, if you guys feel like awesome episodes should be longer than 22 minutes, don't ever watch Adventure Time.

• Brohoof 6

I liked Spike in this episode. I liked Twilight and Starlight, too. I felt like their motivations and thought processes made a lot of sense. I didn't much care for Spike's song, although I really want to see some orchestral rock ballad covers come out of the music community. I did like the way Twilight and Starlight's faces betrayed their own internal conflicts while Spike was singing. I love when action tells the story in this show, and the background action during Spike's little aria was great for that.

I'm kinda disappointed by the way Thorax was portrayed. It seems kinda pony-centric for there to be a Changeling that just rejects the ways of his own kind and talks about how great it would be if Changelings acted more like ponies. I kinda wish he had been a little bit less apologetic about who he was, arriving at his need for friendship from the perspective of, "if love can be freely given to me, why exert the energy needed to take it by force?" This is touched on in the episode, which is nice, but I feel like a lot more time is spent trying to say that the pony way is the only way to approach the world. It's not very equitable.

Still, I like that the episode tried to seek a middle ground between ponies and Changelings. I also liked the name of Thorax, and the fact that, despite his rejection of the Changeling ways, he still has an instinctual urge to feed on love. All in all, it was a half decent episode, and certainly a good Spike episode. The key to Spike episodes really seems to be letting Spike's pragmatism take over, and teach others.

• Brohoof 1

And Shining Armor declares that there's no such thing as nice changelings.

Damn, talk about slicing off the friendship idea.

Edited by Dark Qiviut

So in addition to bridging the gap of hostility between dragons and ponies, Spike's actions have now endeavored to help changelings embrace friendship and thus become less hostile. 

I swear, at this rate, Spike is going to single-handedly save Equestria for all time.  :o

• Brohoof 11

Personally, I enjoyed it; favourite episode of season six by far for me. My only real gripe was the song number; it just felt really out of place given the tension and atmosphere during that scene. Remember that scene from the recent Jungle Book movie where-

King Louie randomly bursts out "I Wanna Be Like You," which contrasted against the mood setting and danger? It's exactly like that. Although don't get me wrong, I loved King Louie in that scene.

And I enjoyed Spike and Thorax together in this episode immensely, their interaction, the insight into the Changeling race and how they operate, although I do wish Thorax had a much better reason to wanting to understand friendship than "I was born with a different mindset!" Apart from the basic premise - which was done extremely well, mind you - and forced musical number, this episode makes me more hyped for what is to come with the rest of the season. 

Edited by Stardust Balance
  • Brohoof 1

Man oh man! Epic episode right there! I'm telling you the writers are firing on all cylinders this season (except Newbie Dash...)

Spike's song was just so beautiful. I'm certainly gonna cover that in the future. 

Character development was off the chain here. We're now seeing a completely empathetic Spike who steps out of his shell, drops all ignorance and...

...speaking of ignorance, love this episode's theme! The fact that friends can come from anywhere, means that no matter what you can be friends with anyone. You can't be closed up in a shell of ignorance because of one single event. As they always say "One small voice can teach the world a song." I hope to see Throax in a later episode along with some other changelings. 

10/10

• Brohoof 1

The Times They Are a Changeling (I don't like that title)

Written by the Kevin Burke and Chris Wyatt

Normally I would groan and go "Oh great MORE NEW WRITERS coming in and screwing shit up because they don't know how to write this show." Not this time though. These writers are actually decently established with nice credentials to speak of so I had high hopes for them. So lets get into my horrible review and see if they impressed.

Well I freaked out when I saw Queen Chrysalis and the hive, in a good way. and I loved the world building so this episode did a lot right. but there were also a few issues as well not many but a few. 

I would have preferred if Spike stood up for Thorax at the end of act two and act three was spent either getting to know him or him proving to the crystal empire that he was good. I mean, I know Spikes word carries a fair amount of weight but considering what abilities and traits changelings are know for, I would personally be a bit more cautious if I was one of the ponies in the show. It's pretty minor but but its the biggest issue I had with the episode so that's a pretty decent omen. 

The song was meh, I mean it was okay, nothing great but also nothing terrible. It was nice that Spike got his own solo number finally. Just a nice feels ballad.

Lastly, the moral, this episodes moral was terrific. I had the opportunity to re-watch last weeks episode this morning and while the moral was a little obvious but passable I cringed at how robotic the presentation of it was and it felt like an amateur season 1 ending so meh. This weeks moral didn't have that problem it was said once and NOT driven into my skull like a nail being smashed by a hammer and it was presented well.

So I really liked this episode but to top this off I want to share the two (technically 3) ideas I have about what this episode can mean.

1. (The not so likely idea) Thorax is actually a spy and maybe one of Chrysalis' best and by him befriending the ponies the changelings now have a hoof in the door for an invasion of the Crystal Empire. Even though its not all that likely I can't completely throw the idea out, we all know how deceptive and sneaky changelings can be.

2. (The more likely idea) Flurry Heart gets foalnapped in the season 6 finale and taken to the changeling hive, the mane 6 and maybe Starlight want to save her but have no idea where the Changeling Kingdom is but Thorax knows so he leads them there and I squee in excitement for what for the events that will hopefully take place in that hive. 

3. (The please god no you have such a good setup don't waste these ideas idea) The season 6 finale has nothing to do with changelings and all these episodes that seem to be alluding to something are ultimately pointless... and I will cry and my hatred for Josh Haber will grow even more (cause he is writing the season 6 finale as revealed at SDCC)

I liked this episode and it opened up a lot of speculation and I hope this episode acts as a precursor piece to the puzzle we all know as the season 6 finale.

8/10 

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 1

This episode, I think, was a major win. I've been waiting for an episode of this magnitude. It was the perfect little dose of emotion that I needed. I'm especially glad that it was a Spike episode. That song of his was perfect. And it was certainly a huge step up from certain other recent episodes.

Overall, this episode made me feel happier than I have in a while. :)

• Brohoof 2

hmmmm, there was only "awesome" votes when i voted... now there is more, and some even for ppl hateing it?!?!?

i havent read all the posts, and just a comparison to S6, this episode was ALOT closter to the "overall" series, where as some other S6 eps seem to be....off.... abit.

well, to each his/her own.

• Brohoof 1

giphy.gif

daniel-bryan-yes-yes-yes-wallpaper.jpg

(Link to "YES!" design here.)

Originally, Gauntlet of Fire was the best Spike episode.

The Times They Are a Changeling changes that.

This is an amazing episode. So much here is done so well. Thorax is oh-my-Luna adorable and such a fantastic character in his own right. He's the best character introduced this season. You can see how much he wants to be accepted, but he feels ostracized because he doesn't enjoy what Chrysalis did, and no pony accepted him because of who he is. For Spike to be the one to bridge the gap is an excellent idea in itself and helps bridge it.

But what good would it be without Spike? Ever since Princess Spike, his character turned around spectacularly. Who was originally a character with no consistency has the most consistent characterization this season. Times is his best characterization as a flawed character, period. He shows his flaws, but he means well. At no point he did act dumb or greedy. His reasons were very believable. When he failed to stand up for Thorax, he felt obscenely guilty and wanted to make things right. Think about it, he was willing to sacrifice his reputation at The Crystal Empire over standing up for someone of a race that nearly took over Canterlot. His character development is super-strong while maintaining consistency and dignity.

And the song at the end…good golly, it's so good. Really hones in the entire theme of the story, Spike's characterization, Spike's decision to sacrifice his fame, and moral. On its own, it's excellent. Attached to the episode itself, it really becomes powerful. My eyes felt like welling.

It's not just my favorite episode this season. It may be the best of season six so far. Well done! :D

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 13

This was a great episode, definitely a lot better than that "mediocre stretch" between Spice Up Your Life and 28 Pranks Later. It was really a fun episode with a great moral, good pacing and mostly good characterization. Definitely on the "great" list for this season. Despite my opinions on the season otherwise, I gotta say Season 6 is hands down Spike's best season yet. Hands down a 9-10/10 episode.

also, here's a dank meme based off this episode:

CqUPGcxUMAA5BpH.jpg

Edited by SuperALPHYSBrony
  • Brohoof 4

Well if the votes are anything to go by then there is some consensus on the epic quality of this episode.  :pinkie:

Also, Spike needs to be Equestria's official ambassador permanently. Mad dragon skills.  :toldya:

I'm kinda disappointed by the way Thorax was portrayed. It seems kinda pony-centric for there to be a Changeling that just rejects the ways of his own kind and talks about how great it would be if Changelings acted more like ponies. I kinda wish he had been a little bit less apologetic about who he was, arriving at his need for friendship from the perspective of, "if love can be freely given to me, why exert the energy needed to take it by force?" This is touched on in the episode, which is nice, but I feel like a lot more time is spent trying to say that the pony way is the only way to approach the world. It's not very equitable.  

You know, I was kind of thinking that when we first were introduced to Thorax. Although I like the idea of befriending a changeling, I knew it was the old "i'm not like them" cliche. The problem with this is that it does not address the greater issue of interspecies conflict. A real solution to the changeling "problem" would be finding a way that all changelings can get what they need in harmony with the inhabitants of Equestria. Lone wolf defectors have no effect on this. We can hope that Thorax may go back and have some effect with the rest of his changelings, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.  :huh:

Maybe the real issue is that there are still too many people who don't want there to be any reconciliation or peace. As long as people want nonredeemable villains and war then that is what they very well may get. :/

• Brohoof 1

And I enjoyed Spike and Thorax together in this episode immensely, their interaction, the insight into the Changeling race and how they operate, although I do wish Thorax had a much better reason to wanting to understand friendship than "I was born with a different mindset!"

it was actually the insight into the changelings, them being naturally wild and vicious, which was the biggest disappointment to me, in this otherwise fantastic episode.  I'd have preferred that their viciousness be LEARNED.  that would make it so much easier to vilify Chrysalis, for one thing, and to accept that change is possible, for another.  

They way they set it up makes it seem like you have to be born broken to be able to change.  It ssems that Thorax was born primed for a change, but maybe no one else can realistically change?  

The real star here was Spike, he was so brave and I liked his song though it was a bit off. On one side of me I thought it was unrealistic that Spike could convince them with just a song, I would rather have seen a kind of 2-parter to this where Spike is thrown into prison with Thorax and becomes somewhat of an example, but that gets way too deep.

• Brohoof 4

What was interesting was Crystal Hoof's age. (BTW that's the SECOND time this season Spike has had to look around at random objects to come up with a name - first time was in "Gauntlet of Fire" when he had to cover for Ember.  :lol: )

Anyway, "Crystal Hoof" is clearly an adolescent pony - he's smaller than all the other ponies around him, but doesn't sound like a foal. In fact, his voice reminded me of Snails in a way, without the goofiness thrown in. So I wonder if that means Thorax is an adolescent changeling? I realize he was able to turn into Spike who is a lot smaller, but it seems strange to pick an adolescent pony to become if Thorax himself is an adult.

• Brohoof 2

What was interesting was Crystal Hoof's age. (BTW that's the SECOND time this season Spike has had to look around at random objects to come up with a name - first time was in "Gauntlet of Fire" when he had to cover for Ember.  :lol: )

Anyway, "Crystal Hoof" is clearly an adolescent pony - he's smaller than all the other ponies around him, but doesn't sound like a foal. In fact, his voice reminded me of Snails in a way, without the goofiness thrown in. So I wonder if that means Thorax is an adolescent changeling? I realize he was able to turn into Spike who is a lot smaller, but it seems strange to pick an adolescent pony to become if Thorax himself is an adult.

I suppose the fact that he befriends Spike and the fact that his voice sounds like an awkward teenager going through puberty would say he's teenager age kind of like the teenager dragons. I suppose it is important to use Spike as a plug to show some involvement with teenage characters as it seems there was almost none to none at all teenage ponies so far or just none to my knowledge.

Though these ponies could be possibly teenage ponies. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Brohoof 2